Traditional Watch 263 58.84%
Smartwatch (includes fitness band) 125 27.96%
No Watch 41 9.17%
Digital Watch 18 4.03%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2022, 09:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smartwatch vs Analog watch | Your preference?

If I loved watches, I’d wear analog for sure. But I don’t really care about them per se - in fact, I don’t like wearing any sort of jewellery on my person either - I’ve never worn any ring or bracelet or chain ever! The watch is the closest I’ve gotten to wear an accessory.

Currently my primary watch for anything fitness related is my Garmin FR 945 and for the longest time I used to wear it even to work. But it does have a tad too rough a look and recently I’ve added an Apple Watch for day wear. It looks much more work attire friendly.

Notably, I don’t really wear the Apple Watch for fitness tracking though. Other than the more work attire friendly look, the primary motivation of buying the watch was the e-sim functionality that it provides. This way, during long outdoor activities I can do away with the need to keep my phone on my person. It is my Garmin though that I’d still use to track my workout activity - the AW would in these limited situations have to be a second Watch I’d wear exclusively for making calls, if needed in a pinch.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 15:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Smart watch.
Ever since I moved to it, haven't looked back. It gives me everything that I need in a watch, and then some more.

Is a great help in keeping fit (the biggest gain) + seamless connection between phone (no need to keep the phone nearby) for calls & messages + control music when/if I want to + has quite a few feature apps that you have on the phone.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 16:30   #18
Team-BHP Support

Both. (Hence haven’t voted).

Though on an everyday basis, I wear & prefer my Garmin, but on an evening out or if I am going to meet anyone officially / formally, prefer the analogue watch. Don’t really like Apple’s squarish design & its battery life so will stick with Garmin.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 16:58   #19
BHPian

Both! I wear my fitness band [Fitbit] on right hand pretty much all the time and mechanical analogue watch on the left whenever I step out. Both serve difference purpose.

Mechanical watches are more like dress accessories/statement piece or put simply jewellery for me.

You need to add 'both' as an option to the poll I guess.

Last edited by somspaple : 16th August 2022 at 17:01.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Analog watches anyday! They can be fun, elegant, classy, color matched to your attire, etc etc. In short, they have a distinct character. Whereas most smartwatches look similar to each other. Well mostly.

I have a fair collection of analog (& old digital) watches. Though I don't wear digital watches much, but love wearing the analog ones. Have a couple of smartwatches but I hardly use them. Plus charging these watches is another thing I hate...including the Apple watch.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 21:01   #21
BHPian

voted Analog watch. Do not want / like to have another gadget dependency in my life. Plus, no dependency on charging as these are automatics.

Have 3 analog watches which I love to wear (Don't want a smart watch anyways) -

1. Citizen Sailhawk Promaster (Eco Drive) Automatic
2. Citizen Ecodrive Chronograph Titanium Automatic
3. Seiko World Time Sport Black edition (Mechanical Automatic)
Turbo_anup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 21:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

Voted for Digital.

I have only worn digital watches since 1985, when I was presented my first Casio. Clearly, I am all for function over form. There was a mad moment 10 years ago when I accidently bought an analog Seiko watch. Fortunately, it went bad within 2-3 years, and I didn't bother with it anymore. I wear the same Casio Protrek PRG250 since 10 years.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 00:10   #23
AZT
BHPian

Analog watches for life. The watch rabbit hole is one of the biggest addictions there is.
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 07:43   #24
BHPian

A very interesting conversation has started to evolve. Let me put a bit of mine as well

To me a human body is a beautiful piece of machinery, far more sophisticated than any machine that man has invented.

Nervous system is just loaded with sensors and sensors, and more. The ignition key is cranked just once, at birth and the engine just runs continuously till it runs out. There is a nice amount of redundancy in so many critical parts to still keep on running with partial failure (kidneys, eyes, ears, and so on), but then spare parts are not very easy to get or install. The mind is a learning machine that keeps on reinventing itself by absorbing new information. The cells grow, die, make new cells. It defies the laws of maths that man has created. 1+1 > 2 under certain conditions. It is something like Frank Mehta’s cars, never the same. This paragraph can go on and on, but let me put a full stop and press enter.

How do I look at the smartwatches?

A couple of premises before that:
What gets measured, gets done
Data is nothing, insights is what matters
Ideation without execution is delusion

Essence: If you care to look at the insights, and act on those, then smart watches are a wonderful tool to optimise the journey of life.

They are good tools that can warn you of the infractions (that team BHP mods also do), but don’t ban you (like the team BHP mods).

A lot us like to have world class chairs (we also have also have a chairs thread) and cars, and a lot of us also love to have world class smartwatches too.

Finally, all smartwatches measure almost the same data, but only some of them have got the software in place that translates the data into meaningful insights and make recommendations (adaptive personal coaches) to help you to lead a healthier life. It’s your choice to act on those. So the latter hold a lot of meaning and help me respect the beautiful machinery that I have been gifted to experience.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 17th August 2022 at 08:04.
Old 17th August 2022, 07:59   #25
BHPian

Though I voted for Smartwatch, but I like both kinds.

Each serves a different purpose. Analog one is more for accessorizing your persona, while smartwatches are more productive.
Currently I own 3 analog watches, Titan edge being my favorite among the three. I have a galaxy watch active 3, which I wear all the time.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 08:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

I prefer a mechanical analog watch/quartz analog/digital, in that order. I do have a smart watch that was gifted to me, but don't use it. I should be able to see the time just by turning the wrist, not by pressing a button for it.

Analog dials are perfect, one can instinctively read the time in an instant by the position of the hands. Even in a digital watch one has to read the numbers!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Voted for Digital.

I have only worn digital watches since 1985, when I was presented my first Casio. Clearly, I am all for function over form. There was a mad moment 10 years ago when I accidently bought an analog Seiko watch. Fortunately, it went bad within 2-3 years, and I didn't bother with it anymore. I wear the same Casio Protrek PRG250 since 10 years.
That makes it two of us.

I'm completely digital watch guy. I really the VFM, feature packed and maintenance free nature of digital watches. I also had a analog fastrack in college and lost it in a trip. I was wearing Casio F91W watch for long time until strap broke.

Now I wearing Casio G-Shock G-5600E-1 G671 for past three years. I love this one. It's solar and I never need to change batteries. It has automatic back light feature (back light glows when lifting the wrist) and very useful in night time bike rides. I was wearing it in my wedding too.

I can't vote yet. I'm voting for digital.
SatheeshBHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:11   #28
BHPian

Didn't vote because this is honestly a tough one!

If you would have asked me a couple of years ago to buy an Apple watch or any digital watch for that matter I would have laughed. Cut to 2022, tech and hardware of such watches are just lifesaving. My dad is someone who has been an analogue watch loyalist his whole life but has now switched to an Apple watch owing to ease of reading time and of course the vast variety of health features. In fact, I see more of our senior folks wearing Smartwatches than youngsters these days, and this sentence speaks lengths for itself.

For me personally as someone almost entering his thirties, I would pick up a an analogue watch if it comes fused with a) digital tech or at least b) smart features that I can access via my app e.g. like the newer Casios.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:16   #29
BHPian

I voted for Traditional Watch. I have a collection of 5 traditional watches : Casio (3) & Titan (2).

A traditional watch looks far more elegant and whereas a Smart watch looks like a Toy.
I am a fitness freak who is in mid 30s and regularly going Gym since the last 10 years. I eat less, eat healthy, so I never really thought of depending upon any smartwatch to track my fitness.

I got an expensive smartwatch ( I even donot remember its brand name) as a gift from my office, which is lying in my Son's toys collection.
Apex1815 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I prefer a mechanical analog watch/quartz analog/digital, in that order. I do have a smart watch that was gifted to me, but don't use it. I should be able to see the time just by turning the wrist, not by pressing a button for it.

Analog dials are perfect, one can instinctively read the time in an instant by the position of the hands. Even in a digital watch one has to read the numbers!
You can do the same in a smartwatch too. There are numerous watch faces that mimic analog watch face, and as soon as you turn your wrist, watch "awakes" automatically to show the time (and much more than just time by the way). In many smartwatches, you can also enable "always on" function.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks