Traditional Watch 263 58.84%
Smartwatch (includes fitness band) 125 27.96%
No Watch 41 9.17%
Digital Watch 18 4.03%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2022, 12:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Smartwatch vs Analog watch | Your preference?

Voted traditional.

Watch is the only jewellery most man wear. It should be elegant, artful and classy. All smatwatch are boring. For me only mechanical watches with skeleton watchface. Seeing the internal working is like magic. Would love to purchase Hublot skeleton once on lifetime when budget permits.
varun.petro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 13:06   #47
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Analog watch.

I have a limited assortment of watches that I choose to wear according on my mood. If there is a crucial meeting or a doctor's appointment, certain ones are always lucky and wear those .
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 13:33   #48
BHPian

Analogue watch for me. The connectivity that my iPhone 6s offers me is more than enough for me. I don't want another level of it. I am not in sports or a fitness buff. I go to gym for an hour every evening and I don't need a smart watch for that. I am also vary about these devices from a privacy perspective. I am a digital privacy fanatic. You will find all kinds of extensions to prevent trackers on my browser.
Another aspect is that I am old school when it comes to watches. Analogue watches have a certain charm to them. It's like a well tailored suit.
casnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 13:38   #49
BHPian

Never wore watches or never purchased own watches. My father promised me a watch If I complete 10 th( and bicycle after +2) but had forgotten about that promise( both). I had seen many students wearing watches in schooldays( of course given by fathers as there could be no income of their own). Since I never had the habit of asking for any personal things, grewup without wearing watches and that continued even after earning myself. Travelled all round India, by bus, train , flights but somewhat managed. After computerisation ( in office)and then mobiles , never felt the need..
kvsneela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 14:23   #50
BHPian

I have owned 3 smartwatches, namely Tag Heuer Connected, Galaxy watch & Pebble classic and after 3 years of constantly using them I shifted back to my analog collection. It's always form over function for me.
But the FOMN(fear of missing notifications), have forced me to pair the analogs with a smart band daily .
Blackwing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 14:28   #51
BHPian

Analog forever I suppose in my case, had an Apple watch series 3 for few years and it was only used to unlock my MacBook quickly when I wore it. I have never felt any need to get the latest smartwatches.

Had quite a few not so expensive quartz watches from typical fashion brands, once I started learning and appreciating the watch world, things changes and most of my collection has been trimmed down to what I really need.
I daily a Seiko 5 and have some other nice mechanical watches which get the most wrist time. The best thing about these watches is these will be passed on to my children and will become part of the family. The only quartz watch I have these days is the CasiOak which was a gift and it works as a nicer beater watch when I don’t want to wear my nice watches.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 14:57   #52
BHPian

Voted for No Watch.

I was notoriously forgetful about my watch in hostel days! My friends were tired of finding it and returning to me.

Post mobile phones one does not need a watch separately. So, good riddance for me.

Today, you can just ask Alexa for the time, why need a watch?

As for health bands, I wonder, barring some hardcore enthusiasts, how many of us actually even monitor the health monitor data!!
There is a novelty factor which soon wears off!!
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 14:59   #53

I believe a Gadget and watch serves different purposes though both tells time. Nowadays an apple watch tells you time with many others. Agree that it also provides with a worthy status quotient.

However A Traditional mechanical automatic watch for me is like a pure engineering marvel. I still wear a 37 year old luxury automatic watch which my father bought when i was born as a gift for himself. He gifted it to me on my wedding day. I believe its a style statement that can last at least for 10-15 years

As of today’s electronics world I really don't believe a gadget can last more than 3 years without upgrades or replacements.

So it is a Traditional Mechanical watch for me any day
Jaguarpaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:12   #54
BHPian

Been using an Apple Watch for the past couple of years. The connected features, specially the music, messages, weather and health notifications are a great help. Ever since I was gifted this watch, haven’t felt the need to ever go back to an analogue. Use the analogue watches occasionally when I forget to charge my watch timely.
sharad_kmc is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:19   #55
BHPian

MY favourite is Smart watches. Have been using Samsung Active 2 since more than 3 years and must say, its a wonderful tech. I measure sleep, calories burnt, etc and try to improvise it. Battery life isnt much a problem, i just put it on charge when i go for bath and get ready, and its pretty much fully charged until then. Before this, i used to own Fossil and Skagen watches, used to be a fan of analogue watches back then but ever since moved to smart watches and bands, never went back!
travelling owl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:33   #56

I believe that watches are not just time-telling machines - They are a piece of jewelry, a fashion statement, an investment, an engineering marvel, an heirloom...

My preference order of watches are hence driven by the above theme - Ranked below in the order of priority:
1. Mechanical Watches - The original and truly old fashioned.
2. Automatic Watches - Mechanical watches with self winding capability (Solar powered watches in my mind are one step below the mechanical watches
3. Smart Watches - Though they are probably not in the same classification as the others above - But have some very unique capabilities
4. Quartz - Extremely reliable work horses but not the most preferred

To summarise - Mechanical watches over smart watches any day!

Hope to own a Patek Philippe some day - "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. Yu merely take care of it for the next generation."
Attached Thumbnails
Smartwatch vs Analog watch | Your preference?-persuasion-influence-blog-post-2-patek-phillipe-.jpg  

MoonShot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:53   #57
BHPian

Analog for me any day ! Have been fond of watches since childhood I used to love those basic digital watches specially for the light which could be turned on by pressing a button. But slowly started liking analog watches for their design and straps. Few years into professional life and bought myself a nice Tag Heuer, colleagues used to joke, my watch also shows time yours also shows time but mine is 10 times cheaper. And one fine day boss turns up during this conversation and he says "your shows time of the day, his shows time of the person" sounds much better in Hindi though.

Today I find analog watches the single greatest accessory on a man`s wrist. Its a great conversation starter, have experienced many times. I do have digital watch but its for purpose and function, analog is for style and emotion
formel_eins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 15:59   #58
BHPian

Traditional watch is an accessory/jewelry. A digital watch is a gadget. They're not comparable at all
Old 18th August 2022, 17:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned Hybrid smartwatch, it wasn't even an option!.......
Have to agree with you here!

A Hybrid watch is almost the best of both worlds - you get great understated style where nothing cries for attention, yet you get your normal health tracking (and/or subtle notifications) with great battery life to boot!

Have been using a Withings Steel HR for the last 4 years and till now, only 1 or 2 people in my circle have been able to make it out for something other than a normal analog watch.
Attached Images

jsrakkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 18:18   #60

Not having right to vote.

My vote is for Analog over Digital. My all time fav. watch is Citizen Eco drive series.
As rightly said Analog watch is an accessory for men,

Classic - elegant

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks