Traditional Watch 263 58.84%
Smartwatch (includes fitness band) 125 27.96%
No Watch 41 9.17%
Digital Watch 18 4.03%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 11:08   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Smartwatch vs Analog watch | Your preference?

Analog watches anyday for me and I have kind of a small collection that I keep rotating. Ordered a Samsung Flip 4 recently and a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic @3k was part of the pre-order offers, so will soon step into the world of smart watches.

So far smart watches have not appealed to me, so I was never looking to buy one but this deal was too good to pass. From what I read, the Galaxy Watch 4 is a pretty decent watch, so let me see if it can change my outlook towards smart watches !
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:38   #77
BHPian

I am a huge sucker for automatics! (only in watches!)
My daily is a fossil automatic. Next on the list for me is an HMT mechanical watch and an Orient Sun&Moon for the occasional dressy outings.

I am now considering a smart watch mainly for the sake of fitness. Also, I want to be able to use GPS sometimes without having to pull out my phone.

I think everyone should wear some kind of a watch. It's impossible for me be without a watch because I constantly consult the time! I used to be late for everything and I have changed that by wearing a watch. It also helps in looking like you are better prepared.
tunedv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:46   #78
BHPian

Voted Traditional.

I have an Apple Watch Series 6 which I wear for all my activities. It makes for an excellent tracker with tons of apps to track various sports too! Added advantage being the e-sim so I don't carry my phone anymore for my runs or cycle rides or sports.

I have a collection of analogue watches (though the last one I bought was in 2012!) which I wear to work or other engagements. Nothing beats analogue when it comes to how it looks on the wrist. Esp, the blank, black screen on the wrist is a big turn off (AOD looks cartoonish).
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Voted Traditional.

I have an Apple Watch Series 6 which I wear for all my activities. It makes for an excellent tracker with tons of apps to track various sports too! Added advantage being the e-sim so I don't carry my phone anymore for my runs or cycle rides or sports.
Does the eSim require a separate number, or does if use the same number as the paired phone ?
Old 19th August 2022, 16:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Does the eSim require a separate number, or does if use the same number as the paired phone ?
Same number. In India, there is no separate charge either, for pairing a smartwatch. When you get a call, the phone and the watch both ring.
cpabhijit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 03:24   #81
BHPian

I use my Apple Watch series 7 on regular days. On occasion I switch with any of the Casio analogs I have.
Old 20th August 2022, 04:46   #82
Team-BHP Support

I love analog watches but, a smart watch with fitness functions is more important for me. But I always turn off the phone notifications for the watch. So its basically an analog watch for me with a fitness tracker. (Hence my choice of watch face is an Analog one).

There are some amazing "Analog looking" watches with Fitness functions.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 07:25   #83
BHPian

I continue my research on my next budget fitness watch with adaptive training recommendations (mostly beginner focussed running goals). Garmin Forerunner 55 is on my radar, but wanted to check if other folks are using any other comparable options that I should consider.
Old 20th August 2022, 09:17   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Analog watches for me thank you very much. Though I do like the Casio G Shock ana-digi combos for e.g the Mudmaster series. The tough solar range is my favourite.

I love mechanical watches too but my daily driver is either a Citizen eco-drive or a Seiko Kinetic. I just can't be bothered about battery replacements and service. I keep my watches in pristine condition though. 2 of my eco-drives had their batteries replaced. One nearly 21 years after it was manufactured and another about 10-11 years after manufacture. They still work beautifully. I swear by these 2 watch technologies.

Been thinking long about smart watches especially the Apple watch to use with my iPhone but so far I am not convinced. Maybe some day though I'll give in and buy one.
Old 20th August 2022, 09:28   #85
BHPian

Watches= prefer analog- mechanical/ self-winding

Have a Rado Diastar, Seiko 5- (3#), Titan quartz
My everyday wear is a Casio G-shock DW-9052, though donot wear wrist watches at workplace, as we are in food manufacturing
For same reason have not got a smart (fitness) watch yet
Earlier, many years back, had a Decathlon watch with GPS to track my rides/ runs etc.
ysjoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 08:22   #86
BHPian

Interesting thread. This is a very personal choice, no right or wrong answer here.

I used to be a watch snob. Started collecting when I was in school and had gone abroad for a holiday for the first time and my cousin brother gifted me one. Over the next decades I have collected a few true luxury automatics, nice fashion designer watches, beater quartz watches etc. Probably have around a dozen of them now, which haven't seen the light of the day in 7 years.

Here is why.

In 2015 I bought the first Fitbit Charge when it came out and now I'm on the 4th generation one. Haven't used anything else since. I also wear it basically 24/7. The battery charge lasts for a whole week, its waterproof, measures more things than I know what to do with, gives basic notifications etc. All for about $120-150. I also love the Fitbit app which gives you tons of fitness/health data. I would have switched to Charge 5, but since they took out altimeter from it I haven't upgraded. Several times I've thought of buying a smarter watch, but I like to get the sleep score and for me personally my sleep quality deteriorates when I have a big watch on my wrist. So Fitbit Charge 4 it is, for me, for the time being.
Old 24th August 2022, 16:09   #87
BHPian

I'm a die hard mechanical watch fanboy, whether it be an HMT or any big brand. Current wrist check
Smartwatch vs Analog watch | Your preference?-img_20220824_161012.jpg

Last edited by Sumer : 24th August 2022 at 16:11.
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 14:25   #88
Team-BHP Support

I wanted to vote Analog, always loved watches, and had my sight on a Panerai for a while, but after getting an Apple Watch a few years ago, I see that the usage of my regular watches has gone down drastically. Yes, it is just a gadget that needs to charge every other day and doesn’t give the feel of wearing a good analog watch. But somehow the Apple Watch has become like a second skin, and every deliberate effort to reduce the dependency has not really worked for me. So much so that I sold off my Tissot chronograph recently. I am still keeping the other two analog watches and intend to use them every now and then. So my vote goes for Smart Watch.

Smartwatch vs Analog watch | Your preference?-image.jpeg

And I hope the Smartwatch scene with mainstream watch brands goes bigger over the next few years. For e.g., this number from Mont Blanc looks pretty cool!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 02:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

G Shock all the way baby !! It's what i wear every day pretty much for the last 25 years. In fact I just picked up a new Tough Solar last month. I do have an analog dress watch for formal occasions and I am on the lookout for a good smartwatch to use as a daily but I'm still waiting for one that's just right.
The Oppo Watch 3 is one from the current gen that seems like it could fit the bill if only they would launch the global version with WearOS in India. My next preference would have been the Galaxy Watch 5 but they dropped the Classic editions this time around unluckily for me
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 05:27   #90
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I appreciate the precision and strength and intricacy of automatic and mechanical watches. And I do have a few.
But the Smartwatch is here to stay and offers so much more by way of health parameters, activity tracking and so on, all in one place, which simply cannot be ignored.
Many people wear their mechanical watches as well as their smartwatches, one on each wrist. But to me, while Ive tried doing that a few times, it comes across as a bit too much of overkill. So it is the modern smartwatch for me now for all my daily wear needs. And now with the Apple Watch Ultra, I think that all my mechanical and automatic watches will see even less usage. Only on special occasions or dress occasions and even then thats a bit of a maybe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks