Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 11:31   #1681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alli.gator View Post
Now back to the business of having fun here...
I see you totally miss the point, so let me not dwell on it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I don't agree with this analogy here. Alto and BMW don't compete in the same segment. But Nikon/Canon and Olympus does. And usually for a given set of features, Olympus is a less expensive than Nikon/Canon.So there must be some reason for Nikon/Canon being more popular and out-selling Olympus.
The analogy may not have been perfect, but the idea is something like this. Price is not the only criteria. Each manufacturer mentioned here, say Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Pentax/Panasonic/Sonic/Fuji have their strengths where they beat others squarely. If a buyer is an enthusiast, he/she will research every offering within the budget before making an informed decision, they won't be swayed by just popular choices. Others who just want a camera to capture family moments/travel events, will just go by popular choice which may or may not suit their need, but it mostly does work out since the requirements are rather simple. Since Nikon/Canon did their marketing well in the early years, they usually end up being the popular choice.

If you ask me how I would choose a P&S, I would go by how wide the lens would go and what kind of sensor and lens it has. I wouldn't care much about telephoto. That might send me in the direction of Fuji P&S. But some one else may decide they need long telephoto, lowlight ability, face recognition and IS, but don't care about wide or sensor type. Then they may consider the Canon offerings. So it depends on what you want within a given budget.
Old 4th January 2008, 12:56   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since Nikon/Canon did their marketing well in the early years, they usually end up being the popular choice.
Samurai San, Canonikon aren't popular/market-leaders just because they did/do their marketing well. Both put huge resources in research and are pioneers in their field.

The most technologically advanced 35 mm dSLRs are from Canonikon - 1Ds Mark III and D3; and even in entry level dSLRs they are leaders.

The major reason Oly sells is not because of it's unique features - they are all available in Canonikon also, but that Oly gives those features at a lesser price than Canonikon.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 4th January 2008 at 12:58.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:59   #1683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai San, Canonikon aren't popular/market-leaders just because they did/do their marketing well. Both put huge resources in research and are pioneers in their field.
And what do you think about non-Canon/Nikon research efforts? Why did Canon/Nikon steal ideas about LiveView/Anti-Dust from lesser companies after thrashing such ideas? Their next invention will be body based IS.

Quote:
The most technologically advanced 35 mm dSLRs are from Canonikon - 1Ds Mark III and D3; and even in entry level dSLRs they are leaders.
The D3 happened just recently. In entry level dSLRs they are not leaders, the Olympus and Pentax are giving them hell there.

Quote:
The major reason Oly sells is not because of it's unique features - they are all available in Canonikon also, but that Oly gives those features at a lesser price than Canonikon.
Which entry level Canon/Nikon has working anti-dust, weather-sealed body (Pentax), liveview or body IS?

I don't want to get into this SLR system wars. I am happy with Olympus, so let me be. I am not trashing Canon/Nikon, I am only saying there are other choices too.

I have spent $3000 on my Olympus gear, soon I will be spending $1800 more on a new dSLR body. I guess I must be an idiot.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:20   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
The D3 happened just recently. In entry level dSLRs they are not leaders, the Olympus and Pentax are giving them hell there.
Compare the sales of Canonikon vs Pentax, Oly, you'll get your answer.

Quote:
Which entry level Canon/Nikon has working anti-dust, weather-sealed body (Pentax), liveview or body IS?
Exactly my point, the major USP of Oly is that it gives more features compared to Canonikon at a lesser price.

Quote:
I have spent $3000 on my Olympus gear, soon I will be spending $1800 more on a new dSLR body. I guess I must be an idiot.
No, you definitely are not. Neither are millions of other users who have bought Canonikon and are happy with it. That includes a much respected old member of t-bhp as well.

\N
Old 4th January 2008, 14:20   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
And what do you think about non-Canon/Nikon research efforts? Why did Canon/Nikon steal ideas about LiveView/Anti-Dust from lesser companies after thrashing such ideas?
Yeah...It was very hard for them to admit that DUST IS a problem.

Quote:
No, you're not.

I wouldn't mind becoming an idiot with $1800 to spare.

-- Torqy
Old 4th January 2008, 14:22   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
No, you definitely are not. Neither are millions of other users who have bought Canonikon and are happy with it. That includes a much respected old member of t-bhp as well.
Sorry to disappoint you ntomer.....i use Olympus.

Old 4th January 2008, 14:26   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post

I guessed as much from your posts ;-)

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 4th January 2008 at 14:29.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:22   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Good one there mate

In the US (and may be some other countries as well), people at least have an option to try out different cameras before finalizing on a particular model/brand. Most of us do not have this luxury. We also tend to look at customer support and other issues before finalizing a model. Canon/Sony scores very well in this in India. All the others are only catching up now. I know several of my friends who bought their digital cameras based only on the fact that they had long zoom ranges (10x, 9x) etc. compared to other cameras that only had 3x, 4x etc. and better customer support. Most of these people do not understand or learn about the features of their cameras and therefore even these cameras are underused. I have seen similar folks in the US as well. These people simply look at user polls and ask a few friends around. Also a person who has several lenses of a particular brand are likely to go for the cameras of that brand, even though he/she may like another model from another brand. So I think, it is quite futile to argue about the merits/demerits about the different brands/models outside the context of a person's requirement. Same applies to offering advice - it can only be based on what the person who is seeking advice wants from the camera/lens.
Old 4th January 2008, 15:27   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Canonikon aren't popular/market-leaders just because they did/do their marketing well. Both put huge resources in research and are pioneers in their field.
I guess you answered the question yourself below. If you find a product that does equally well at 60% the cost and still go for the more expensive one, you are clearly associating with the brand than the product, isnt it?
in which case the canonikon advertising dept will be smiling all around

Quote:
Old 4th January 2008, 15:33   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
If you find a product that does equally well at 60% the cost and still go for the more expensive one, you are clearly associating with the brand than the product, isnt it?
Yes, people do pay a premium for good brands. Like 7.5 lakhs for a Honda City. If it would have a Hyundai City, nobody would have paid this much for it and it would have been a failure ;-)

People pay more for established brands because they get great support, a broad range of accessories (lenses in camera's case), and an assurance that the product is from a well-known company so less probability of it being a dud.

\N
Old 5th January 2008, 15:43   #1691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
People pay more for established brands because they get great support, a broad range of accessories (lenses in camera's case), and an assurance that the product is from a well-known company so less probability of it being a dud.
You are saying Olympus is not a well-known company? Well, their products and their history is good enough for me. Besides, I am yet to exceed the capability of my dud E-500.

If you find some time, read this site, he details all the cameras he used over 30 years. Photography doesn't start with Canon and end with Nikon.

the other Martin Taylor - cameras

But generally when somebody is caught with a non-Canon/Nikon dSLR, I like always do, there is no end to the lecture on how bad Olympus is when compared to Canon/Nikon. The fact is Canon/Nikon make great cameras, but you know what, so does Olympus. I chose Olympus after nearly 6 months of research, it was not an accident, I actually found some reasons to choose it over Canon/Nikon. Just like I chose petrol GV over diesel Endy/Tucson. Please don't use the Canon/Nikon hype to discredit other cameras. Such bias never adds any value to a forum like ours.

Today I was reading December Edition of Smart Photography, especially their camera recommendation. As usual they always give high ratings to Canon/Nikon which didn't surprise me, I am used to that. But I started laughing when I saw the rating for 400D and E-510 next to each other.

But I haven't experienced both these cameras myself, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Let's see what a reputed photo site had to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE510/verdict.shtml
Canon’s EOS 400D / Rebel XTi is the best-selling 10 Megapixel DSLR right now, so a natural rival to the E-510. The Canon comes in comfortably cheaper than the E-510 and offers roughly similar quality, along with a far superior 9-point auto-focus system and bigger viewfinder. Beyond this though, the E-510 has the edge. It features built-in anti-shake, Live View and superior anti-dust capabilities, not to mention a better kit lens. The E-510 is far better-featured overall, so if you’re considering the Canon but can afford a little more, you should definitely also take a look at the Olympus.
Source: Olympus EVOLT E-510 full review Cameralabs verdict

For the heck of it, I tried to compare the rating from Smart Photography vs Dpreview vs Camera Labs, for 400D, D40X and E510.

While SP puts 400D/D40X way ahead of E510, the DP and CL feel exactly other way. I obviously believe the rating of DP and CL, since their methodology and test report is available online, while SP method of rating is a mystery. I don't know about you, but I clearly see how Smart Photography review is biased in favour of Canon and Nikon.
Old 6th January 2008, 18:38   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
You are saying Olympus is not a well-known company? Well, their products and their history is good enough for me.
Dear Samurai San, I gave the example of Honda and Hyundai. Hyundai too is a very well known company. But people have more faith in Honda and pay a premium for it's products.
Similarly Oly might be making the greatest cameras around but unfortunately majority of people don't think so. Canonikon far outsell Oly; but ofcourse this can be attributed to people's ignorance.

Quote:
If you find some time, read this site, he details all the cameras he used over 30 years. Photography doesn't start with Canon and end with Nikon.
I never said that Oly doesn't make good cameras. My point was that Canonikon don't thrive just on marketing, their products are also OK, if not as great as Oly.

Quote:
But generally when somebody is caught with a non-Canon/Nikon dSLR, I like always do, there is no end to the lecture on how bad Olympus is when compared to Canon/Nikon. The fact is Canon/Nikon make great cameras, but you know what, so does Olympus. I chose Olympus after nearly 6 months of research, it was not an accident, I actually found some reasons to choose it over Canon/Nikon. Just like I chose petrol GV over diesel Endy/Tucson. Please don't use the Canon/Nikon hype to discredit other cameras. Such bias never adds any value to a forum like ours.
Samurai San, don't you think if I am biased towards Canonikon, you are as much biased against those. Anyways that was not my intention, my point as already stated above was that Canonikon also aren't that bad.

This is my last post on this topic. I have already used much stronger words than I normally would. And moreover I respect you as a person and don't want to continue this useless argument.

So you be happy with your Oly and I will be happy with my Nikon.

Cheers

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 6th January 2008 at 18:40.
Old 7th January 2008, 01:11   #1693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
D

So you be happy with your Oly and I will be happy with my Nikon.

Nitin
This is the reason of the argument. Unhappiness. This unhappiness is due to bad cameras. If you both switch to canon there would be no unhappiness and no argument

Now I am going into permanent hiding
Old 7th January 2008, 07:44   #1694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai San, don't you think if I am biased towards Canonikon, you are as much biased against those. Anyways that was not my intention, my point as already stated above was that Canonikon also aren't that bad.
Sigh! When did I say Canonikon is bad? I am only trying to say Olympus is no Hyundai if Canonikon is Honda/Toyota. I'll settle for Nissan though.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:17   #1695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am only trying to say Olympus is no Hyundai if Canonikon is Honda/Toyota.
Now Samurai, this will never stop. You'll have your OLYMPUS and others will have their NIKONs and CANONs.. Argument will continue till the cows come home.
Quote:
I'll settle for Nissan though.
Now, what's that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks