Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 12:24   #2266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi
S3 and S5 cost at around 290 and 310 USD respectively. You can check up with amazon.com. I guess that would be the range across the US. So I would advise you to get the camera, whichever model it is, from the US
I checked at amazon.Here they are providing only the camera for $310.Whereas I checked on jj mehta's website (courtesy this thread) and they are providing 4 batteries with charger and a carry case and a 4GB Sd card. Which when I checked on amazon would cost upto 3000 INR. Which brings the cost to upto 16-16.5k if bought from US. Whereas if I buy here it would cost 4k more,but I could get a feel of the things I am buying.
What do you advice??? get the camera there and buy accesories here,get everything there or get every thing here.??
Old 19th May 2008, 13:09   #2267
Senior - BHPian

I guess the accessories that you mentioned dont really cost 4k in India.

Batteries + Charger = 800
Carry bag (Case Logic) = 900
SD Card (2 GB) = 700

I'd recommend getting the camera and the SD card (Sandisk Extreme) from the US
Old 19th May 2008, 13:16   #2268
Senior - BHPian

You can pick up the whole kit for $380 (~16k)

That will include Charger, batteries, Carrying case and 2 GB card.

Canon POWERSHOT S5IS Digital Camera Bonus Kit 1!

EDIT : If your friend is brining stuff apart from this camera, then he/she will need to pay 35% tax on the total price - Rs 25,000.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 19th May 2008 at 13:18.
Old 19th May 2008, 15:42   #2269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
I'm looking for a compact point and shoot for general family use.
Up to 10k, Something small, easy to carry in a ladies' handbag
Wide angle would be useful. Image stabilization and flip LCD are nice to haves which I wont miss too much if they arent there.
A flip LCD adds weight and thickness. My wife uses a Canon 870IS (she earlier had a Panasonic FX7). Her sister has a Casio which is even slimmer, lighter and smaller I think it is the EX200 or something like that but I dont think thisis available in India. Panasonic has the FX100 and FX500 (the FX500 gives you shutter and apature control) but I dont know if either is available in India.
Old 20th May 2008, 10:29   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Okay folks.

I have narrowed down on the EOS 40D as my choice of body - Again no particular reason other than having used Canon equipmennt all along, and what I hear about their service network in India.

My Boss is in the US now and he can bring things down for me. This is where I need advice

1. Canon has launched Spring Rebates and there is a $200 instant rebate on the 40D body - makes it $940 for the BODY alone. Equates to about 40K in Indian Rupees. Local GREY Market prices till last week were at 44k - which actually made it cheaper to buy here than in the US

2. There is a combinaton offer with the 28-135mm IS lens for $1130 = Rs. 48,000/-

Now, if purchased from the US, I will have to pay by credit card - so I am assuming card charges of that 2-3 % can get added on ((I am not sure - any one who can clarify this as well?) - therefore narrowing the gap. Given the above, I have the following questions.

1. Is there any specific advantage from buying from the US vs buying in Grey locally?

2. How do the local grey pieces get sold? - do they come with or minus the packing and all the innards/contents - like Xeroxed manuals etc?

3. Given that there is hardly any difference in price (I really cant get over this...lol!), do you think it picking it from a local cameral dealer will give me any additional 'reliability/fallback/service' benefits - or gurantees of any sort - the 'local support' that may not be available if I picked up the same thing from the US? - or is this a myth?

4. Gurus- is that 28 - 135 any good? - for the price I am getting it - less than $200 additional as a kit. Do I pick up any lenses form there?

5. Or do I pick body from thre and lenses here or vice versa

6. Or do I ditch it all and pick everything up locally!!!

BAH I am confused!!!! ...

HELP HELP .. Lol

Last edited by kb100 : 20th May 2008 at 10:48. Reason: Found out the credit caard charges a mark up of 3.5% for Foriegn Currncy transactions
Old 20th May 2008, 11:24   #2271
BHPian

I recommend that you pick the body from a reliable grey market dealer, since there is a marginal difference in cost.

Hellcat.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:29   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
1. Is there any specific advantage from buying from the US vs buying in Grey locally?
If you buy from US and pay $50 extra, you can buy 5 year worldwide warranty for camera. That should give you peace of mind.

This cost ($50) was for camera+kit costing $600 so your mileage may wary.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:43   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you buy from US and pay $50 extra, you can buy 5 year worldwide warranty for camera. That should give you peace of mind.

This cost ($50) was for camera+kit costing $600 so your mileage may wary.

Where is this available? - if this is available then most definitely makes sense to go ahead and buy it in the US.

IS this warranty by Canon - or a third party vendor - a kind of insurance if you will (like most of our extended auto warranties are actually underwritten by/with one of the general insurance companies - albiet tri-party with the manufacturer)

Last edited by kb100 : 20th May 2008 at 11:45.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:44   #2274
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Friends check out these useful charts. They are regularly updated.

Top cameras of the last five days: Digital Photography Review

It looks like the world's top brand is Canon, followed by Nikon.

The Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi is the king of the hill in May 2008.
Canon Digital Rebel XSi is its US name. In India and Europe it's known as the Canon EOS 450D.
For reasons best known to them Canon change the labelling on the body, to distinguish between the Europe model and the USA model.

With 2 GB SD card, this camera costs Rs. 45,750 in Mumbai. With 4 GB SD card, Rs. 46,250 and with 8 GB SDHC Extreme III, Rs. 48,550.
The camera has a 12.0 Megapixel sensor and (in India) includes Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens - Image Stabilizer

Much money is in the lens.
For example...
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens alone costs Rs. 78,500

And talk about electronic flash..
Canon Speedlite 580EX II Dedicated Flashgun costs Rs. 18,990. The built-in flash that the camera comes with is quite tiny.

Ram

Last edited by Ram : 20th May 2008 at 11:53.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:57   #2275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Friends check out these useful charts. They are regularly updated.

Top cameras of the last five days: Digital Photography Review

It looks like the world's top brand is Canon, followed by Nikon.
This is the clickshare on DPreview. Sales share on Amazon and a couple of big online photo stores like adorama and bhphotovideo would probably be more representative of share in the US. Global shares might vary again.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:06   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Been there Ram - In fact lived on that site for a couple of days!!

The site reflect 'interest' not necessarily product quality/popularity amongst purchasers or users - It maps the number of 'Clicks' or ppl visiting the page.

The 450D kit is available - with B&W - for 41K and without B&W for 36-37k. Hence my decision to go for the better built and spec'd 40D at around the same price (about $150 over)
Old 20th May 2008, 13:06   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where is this available? - if this is available then most definitely makes sense to go ahead and buy it in the US.

IS this warranty by Canon - or a third party vendor - a kind of insurance if you will (like most of our extended auto warranties are actually underwritten by/with one of the general insurance companies - albiet tri-party with the manufacturer)
Its by third party, not sure if Cannon sells international warranty will be best source if they do.

Otherwise, you can buy from stores that have offices in India (to help customer like us, who buy things from US) they will help out in case of issues.

One such 3 year warranty:

NEW | 3-Year SAGEMAX Protection Plan | SCC3-500 | B&H Photo Video

India toll free for B&H is 1.800.22.8008 (Office is in Pune).
Old 20th May 2008, 13:35   #2278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Its by third party, not sure if Cannon sells international warranty will be best source if they do.

Otherwise, you can buy from stores that have offices in India (to help customer like us, who buy things from US) they will help out in case of issues.

One such 3 year warranty:

NEW | 3-Year SAGEMAX Protection Plan | SCC3-500 | B&H Photo Video

India toll free for B&H is 1.800.22.8008 (Office is in Pune).
Yup.. Saw that .. But on calling their landline (020 30521900) one continuously gets a "Temporarily Disconnected' message!!

Will try calling the toll free number!

EDIT ... Yup the toll free worked!! Except I was told its was their lunch break and hence I'd have to call back after 2.30pm!! And they acknowledged their landline is on the blink!

Last edited by kb100 : 20th May 2008 at 13:53.
Old 20th May 2008, 15:28   #2279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay folks.

I have narrowed down on the EOS 40D as my choice of body - Again no particular reason other than having used Canon equipmennt all along, and what I hear about their service network in India.

My Boss is in the US now and he can bring things down for me. This is where I need advice

1. Canon has launched Spring Rebates and there is a $200 instant rebate on the 40D body - makes it $940 for the BODY alone. Equates to about 40K in Indian Rupees. Local GREY Market prices till last week were at 44k - which actually made it cheaper to buy here than in the US

2. There is a combinaton offer with the 28-135mm IS lens for $1130 = Rs. 48,000/-

Now, if purchased from the US, I will have to pay by credit card - so I am assuming card charges of that 2-3 % can get added on ((I am not sure - any one who can clarify this as well?) - therefore narrowing the gap. Given the above, I have the following questions.

2. How do the local grey pieces get sold? - do they come with or minus the packing and all the innards/contents - like Xeroxed manuals etc?

3. Given that there is hardly any difference in price (I really cant get over this...lol!), do you think it picking it from a local cameral dealer will give me any additional 'reliability/fallback/service' benefits - or gurantees of any sort - the 'local support' that may not be available if I picked up the same thing from the US? - or is this a myth?

4. Gurus- is that 28 - 135 any good? - for the price I am getting it - less than $200 additional as a kit. Do I pick up any lenses form there?

5. Or do I pick body from thre and lenses here or vice versa

6. Or do I ditch it all and pick everything up locally!!!

BAH I am confused!!!! ...

HELP HELP .. Lol
NEED HELP HERE ...

AMAZON or B&H or ADORAMA - which of these will be better. They have some interesting combination offers on Amazon - and none on the other two.
Old 20th May 2008, 15:33   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Can you give link on Amazon

Many times Amazon acts just like Ebay where other sellers sell stuff instead of Amazon.

Most Viewed