Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2008, 14:16   #2191
BHPian

Need quick help,going tonight to buy S5 from Delhi,

I am getting Canon S5 without B/W for 15200+4GB card900.
and with Bill n Warranty i am getting it for 18500+450 to upgrade from 2 GB card to 4 gb Card.
Which is better option over all.
Which rechargable batteries i should consider,I was quoted 640 for a set og four and charger.
Plz suggest.
One thing more:-How should i ensure that the warranty is genuine and not just dealer warranty or what are the things i should look for to ensure that warranty in genuine.

Last edited by Gill : 8th May 2008 at 14:27.
Old 8th May 2008, 14:51   #2192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
One thing more:-How should i ensure that the warranty is genuine and not just dealer warranty or what are the things i should look for to ensure that warranty in genuine.
the warranty should be a manufacturer's warrnty. there will be 2 parts to this warranty. you dealer has to stamp him name, address and date both cards. you enter the serial number of the camera on both cards and mail one card to the manufacturer and keep the second card for your records.

the dealer will also give you a bill or invoice. this is not an estimate but a real bill or invoice and may include his sales tax number. I would send a copy of this bill along with the warranty card to the manufacturer via Registered mail. this will ensure that the manufacturer knows what you paid for the camera and that the dealer you purchased your camera from is a authorised dealer.
Old 8th May 2008, 17:37   #2193
BHPian

Quote:

and with Bill n Warranty i am getting it for 18500+450 to upgrade from 2 GB card to 4 gb Card.
Which rechargable batteries i should consider,I was quoted 640 for a set og four and charger.
Plz suggest.

Hey Gill ,

After all the research and Advices taken from the gurus I have also zeroed on S5IS , I Also put up in New Delhi .

Can you let me know the dealers name and adress who quoted you these prices ? Or can we buy together to get some further discount or some freebies .
I am planning to buy on weekend as Friday is working day for me

Thanks
Prashant
Old 9th May 2008, 00:13   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hey Gill ,

After all the research and Advices taken from the gurus I have also zeroed on S5IS , I Also put up in New Delhi .

Can you let me know the dealers name and adress who quoted you these prices ? Or can we buy together to get some further discount or some freebies .
I am planning to buy on weekend as Friday is working day for me

Thanks
Prashant
@Prashant,
I have delayed the purchase,i shall be going for it on comming saturday.
I will be buying the camera from Rajinder of Pritam Cameras in chandani chowk.If you need the contact number do let me know i will PM you and then we can talk of discounts n etc.

Navin ji thanks for advice,i will make sure he gives me the invoice and STAMPS the warranty card.

What if the retailers doesn't stamps or refuses to stamp the card?And just pass me on the card with out it!

Cheers!

Last edited by Gill : 9th May 2008 at 00:16.
Old 9th May 2008, 10:26   #2195
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Gill;823675What if the retailers doesn't stamps or refuses to stamp the card?And just pass me on the card with out it![/QUOTE]

Dosen't? No you remind him to stamp and date the card.

If he refuses it is a good hint that he is not an authorised reseller. The manufacturer is not obliged to warranty a product purchased from a un-authorised retailer/dealer/distributor.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:16   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
oops is that so , I didnt considered that . In that case I dont think its a good deal . Any pointers to reliable grey stuff in Delhi /NCR ?

Thanks
Prashant
Palika Bazar is the best place for photo equipment - Digital Cam Zone is one shop in the central mezzanine area. The other place to try is Ebay India.
Also check how much it is legal. If the difference is not significant then I recommend you buy legal with bill and warranty. Big legal Canon dealer is Mahatta in Connaught Place.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:20   #2197
Team-BHP Support

Do not buy anything from ebay India. If there is a problem there is no recourse.
As for Palika bazaar, its good but the best place is Chandni chowk with family businesses like pritam, Madan ji etc.,
The rates are better, and you can try out equipment before buying.Moreover, if you are interested you will get warranty and bill(extra cost of course)
Old 9th May 2008, 15:39   #2198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not buy anything from ebay India. If there is a problem there is no recourse.
Why tsk1979, why - are you prone to such sweeping statements?
Ebay India protects you against undelivered, damaged or otherwise not as promised items. Earlier this protection was only against Paisa Pay payments. Now they are making that option compulsory.
As long as you read their rules and know your rights Ebay protects you. Don't do something fool hardy like send a draft and wait for delivery and you should be fine.
I have bought stuff from Ebay including photo gear without a problem. I've always used Paisa Pay for payments and at times have forced the seller to include that option. I haven't been shy of using Ebay's redressal system when needed.
In fact Ebay forces grey market sellers to offer a return or warranty policy, which you wouldn't otherwise get if you buy direct from their shop. If you wanna go grey, Ebay is actually a better option because you get some degree of protection as opposed to nothing.
BTW my Nikkor 80-200/2.8 was bought from Ebay India.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:49   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Plz suggest.

There is one available for 16500 with B&W on ebay india... the seller looks to be some camera store in Chandigarh - or thereabouts.
Old 9th May 2008, 16:16   #2200
Senior - BHPian

*(Mods - Please merge the posts)

EDIT : there is one right in Delhi - and offers COD in Delhi and NCR regions as well!! - By name SOLARDIGICAM - seems to have 100% positive feedback to boot!!

eBay India Store - solardigitalcam:
Old 9th May 2008, 23:50   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
There is one available for 16500 with B&W on ebay india... the seller looks to be some camera store in Chandigarh - or thereabouts.
Thanks for the link KB100,It's a dealer warranty that to for ONE year where as Canon gives warranty for Two yrs.I think it's better to have OEM warranty.What say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for Palika bazaar, its good but the best place is Chandni chowk with family businesses like pritam, Madan ji etc.,
The rates are better, and you can try out equipment before buying.Moreover, if you are interested you will get warranty and bill(extra cost of course)
Rajinder at Pritam camera in delhi is good person to deal with.I shall be buying the camera from him tom, that to with bill n warranty as 2.5k extra paid will buy me peace of mind.Hope he is authorised dealer on canon,but his name in not mentioned on canon india website,
@TSK any idea whether he is authorised canon dealer or not?Cause the warranty shall be void if he is not the dealer for canon.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gill : 9th May 2008 at 23:53.
Old 10th May 2008, 14:08   #2202
Team-BHP Support

Gill, I bought from DIGI camera zone at Palika bazaar because Pritam was just 500rs cheaper(B&W price for 350D). From noida I found going to chandni Chowk too much of a hassle and decided to go to Palika Bazaar.
If he gives you a stamped dealer card, its okay, no issues.
I think Canon website lists the "Canon Camera Zones" only which are sort of like Exclusive showroom kinda places.
You can talk to Vikas MAl at PAAI.in for advice. They have a thread about links of all the dealers.

As for Rajindar, I have visited his shop and he seems to be a very honest and nice dude.
Old 10th May 2008, 18:42   #2203
Senior - BHPian

I need to gift a camera to my cousin. A decent P&S for $200 but it must have a feature to be used as a webcam for chatting on Skype. What are my options?
Old 11th May 2008, 10:36   #2204
Senior - BHPian

I have more or less decided to go with Canon EOS series - either the 40D or the 450D. (... suffering from 'upgraditis')

It comes with the 17-85mm or the 18-55mm kit lens - of course, the cost varies accordingly.

I have two questions.

1. Which of these lenses should I go for? And will this suffice all my portraiture needs for the moment?

2. Grey prices - esp for the 40D are waaay cheaper than B&W - is it advisable to pick a grey piece up - if it is from a big camera shop?

I intend to stick with this for at least three years - and I also intent to really experiment and LEARN a lot!
Old 11th May 2008, 11:34   #2205
Team-BHP Support

450D will be good enough for your usage.
The B&W price will be same as that of grey market 40D.

As for potraiture, get the 50mm 1.8 lens(3500, buy grey)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks