Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 14:05   #3691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Looking for camera. Cant find anything that stands out.

Specs.
28-500mm+ (20x)
Some Manual controls (Aperture, Shutter, Exposure)
Flip LCD
Li-ion battery (AA batteries dont last very long with flash)
2.5fps+ with flash
killer IQ (comparable to Canon SX1 or Panny FZ35)
the ability to add a flash will be nice but not nesscarily required.

In short if the F200EXR from Fuji had a flip LCD and a 20x zoom (instead of 14x) it'd be the top contender. Current top contenders are the Sony HX1 (uses propreitory memory card) and the Canon SX1 (uses AA battteries). Anyone use the Oly 570/590UZ? (dpreview threw this one up).
Here is my 2 cents.
i went to Best Buy to check out some ultra zoom cameras. i checked out 3 of those you have mentioned a couple of weeks back.

Checked sx1, hx1 and 590uz for around 50 mins and found Sony hx1 to be better than others. Where i found it good in following areas, it is very fast compared to other three, its range even though less gives less shaky photos at max zoom hand held, has flip LCD and very good macro and flash compared to other two.

The photos i clicked were inside the store, so atleast inside with sufficient lighting i found hx1 better followed by sx1 and then 590uz. after 10 mins of usage, i literally stopped considering 590uz. was slow and image quality was bad with a steep learning curve of menu.

as you have mentioned hx1 uses memory pro duo, which is a little bit expensive but not a deal breaker. atleast not for me. i found sx1's battery life very short as with only 25 30 shots + playback that i took it consumed around 25% while sony was still showing 100%. for me that is a major deal breaker. though i found menu of canon better than sony but that one can get used to with usage.

also, sony's lens is 28mm-560mm, which is quite good. at par with canon sx1. but i found smooth zooming of hx1 than sx1 or 590uz.
the features you have mentioned above for fuji's ultrazoom is more or less comparable to hx1 and sx1. hx1 also has cmos technology so it takes better low light photos than others.

also fuji's f200exr is a 5x wide angle zoom camera. is there another model that you are talking about? didn't find it in store, so can't compare.

my pick of the three would be sony hx1. just my opinion. hope this helps

Last edited by chevelle : 13th January 2010 at 14:09.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:08   #3692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot. I was considering the Oly 570 but it's fps is terrible. the 590 is supposed to be faster but does it have a flip LCD like the SK1 or HX1?
I does not have a flip LCD. At zoom equivalent to other superzooms (18 of FZ35 and 20 of SX20) the image quality is good. At full zoom (26x) the image quality suffers and it clicks pics in 3 Megapixel format at full zoom. I totally looked at it on VFM factor. As I bought camera in India, I was not ready to pay 28-29 for SX20 or FZ35.
Old 14th January 2010, 12:00   #3693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
also fuji's f200exr is a 5x wide angle zoom camera. is there another model that you are talking about? didn't find it in store, so can't compare.

my pick of the three would be sony hx1. just my opinion. hope this helps
Fantastic. This is simply Fantastic. Thanks ever so much.

HX1 it is - after all Sony released it as the SX1 killer! :-)

Yes I was taking abot the Fuji F200EXR. If only Fuji had a F300EXR (hypotehtical) with all the features that F200 has but with longer range and a flip LCD it would be the camera to get. As it stands the HX1 is the long zoom camera to get.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:43   #3694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes I was taking abot the Fuji F200EXR. If only Fuji had a F300EXR (hypotehtical) with all the features that F200 has but with longer range and a flip LCD it would be the camera to get. As it stands the HX1 is the long zoom camera to get.

hey, check out this month's edition of Smart Photography. They have a head to head comparison between the Fuji S200EXR, Panasonic FZ35 and Sony HX1. Its quite an extensive review.
Old 15th January 2010, 01:16   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the only part i didn't like about HX1 (in bold). I hope it's customizable to take less shots but free up the camera earlier.

Any advice for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I am looking for a new camera in next few days. I already have a canon S2 IS and nikon L6 for pocketability.

One of the primary criteria is good zoom and video, since this will be my primary video shooting equipment. I narrowed down to following models:

300+$
1. pana FZ35 - strongest candidate -
2. canon Sx20 IS - offers articulating LCD, unlimited time lapse recording etc but I get most if it from my S2 IS already. no CHDK yet.

3. Sony HX1 - almost 500$ but has CMOS sensor, and some cool features like sweep panorama, 10 FPS burst mode (but that leaves camera useless for next 18 seconds while it processes them.)
4. canon SX1IS - again CMOS - almost 500$, promises better quality, and super HD resolution. I doubt if any of my computers will be able to play those clips. CHDK available.

and then some more

5. casio FH20 - hyped for upto 1000FPs movies and going back in time for capture, but the still image quality is not satisfactory. and you have to choose between audio and optical zoom while shooting video.
6. samsung HZ25W - has good reviews but I think the video zoom is too jerky. Samsung is not exactly known for cameras either.
7. olympus SP 590 - not as innovative as others.
8. pentax X70 - HD movies at 15 FPs only.
and then some other KODAKs, Fuji S2000D etc not really putting a lot of thought on HD movies though.

Am I leaving out anything good here? And more importantly, My question is, Will I gain anything with the premium I pay for SX1 IS or HX1?

DSLR like controls are desirable, but I am avoiding DSLRs because I hate maintenance. Changing lenses (hence looking at super zooms), storing and cleaning sensor, lenses etc. I would rather spend my time with kids if i can get any out of my job and the part time MBA which starts next week.

EDIT: I left out pana FZ50/Leica V-LUX1. can somebody explain what the premium is for? the zoom is 12 X and not true HD though.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:35   #3696
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
This is the only part i didn't like about HX1 (in bold). I hope it's customizable to take less shots but free up the camera earlier.

Any advice for me?
1. Why do you need 10fps. 10fps is awfully fast. For me 3 fps is fast enough.
2. For me the HX1 looks really nice. Most fo the time I need articulating LCDs is to shoot over people's heads. I like Sony's solution.

The only issue I have with the HX1 is that it does not have a hot shoe. the SX1 does and there are rumours that a SX2 is due soon. I can wait 1-2 months so that's what I am going to do. If Canon's SX1 replacement has Li-ion batteries (that will solve the batter problem) it would be the camera to get. I can use my Canon flashes in indoor conditions then. I suspect Canon's SX1 replacement might use the same CCD sensor they use on the S90/G11 unless Canon is developing a new larger 1/1.6" CMOS sensor . I do see any 1/1.6" CMOS sensors and a larger (APS-C or 4/3rds sensor will eat into their DSLR market).

Last edited by navin : 15th January 2010 at 12:15.
Old 15th January 2010, 19:04   #3697
Senior - BHPian

of course, my question is whether it will allow 3 FPS or 3 pics at 10 FPS (as opposed to 10) and free up camera earlier.
Old 16th January 2010, 00:49   #3698
Senior - BHPian

found that pressing set button can bring the camera life to back while processing continuous speed pics. You only lose pics that have not been processed yet.
Old 16th January 2010, 01:09   #3699
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys

Well i am having a problem with my sony cybershot camera.

Now the problem i am facing is that when i switch it ON the camera turns ON but has a black screen for about 2-3 mins and after that i am getting a message saying FORMAT ERROR.Now after that i tried connecting it to my pc and formatting it but thenit said PLEASE INSERT THE REMOVEABLE DRIVE.I am using the sony pro duo 1GB memory card.I also tried formatting it from the camera from the setup menu but the problem still persists.

I need your help guys on sorting this out.
Thank you
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:15   #3700
BANNED

Guys can you please suggest a digicamera with option of HDvideo and good shots in moonlight (dark like of stars ) in Rs 20K (Grey ) .I can go upto 25 K but liek to only 20K .

I am in Delhi so getting genuine grey stuff will not be too difficult.

Regards
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:25   #3701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Guys can you please suggest a digicamera with option of HDvideo and good shots in moonlight (dark like of stars ) in Rs 20K (Grey ) .I can go upto 25 K but liek to only 20K .

I am in Delhi so getting genuine grey stuff will not be too difficult.

Regards
There is a Video section too

Here it is

Cheers

Last edited by it_inspector : 22nd January 2010 at 11:29.
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:06   #3702
BANNED

I have spent the last few hours finding the camera and it apears Sony HX1 has a good edge over the Canon SX1 IS .The panny i didnot find a mention of it having a CMOS lens.
What do you think guys .
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:13   #3703
BANNED

I have searching some more .My mandatory requirements were,
1.) A CMOS Sensor
2.) Very good shots in twilight
3.) HD Video recording with atleast 30fps
4.) Good Macro / Focal Length
5.) Battery Rechargeable

About the number of zooms i am not sure.
I have shortlisted these from sony ,
1.) DSC-TX1/H
2.) DSC-WX1/B
3.) DSC-HX1

Kindly lend your thoughts.
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:40   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi guys

Well i am having a problem with my sony cybershot camera.

Now the problem i am facing is that when i switch it ON the camera turns ON but has a black screen for about 2-3 mins and after that i am getting a message saying FORMAT ERROR.Now after that i tried connecting it to my pc and formatting it but thenit said PLEASE INSERT THE REMOVEABLE DRIVE.I am using the sony pro duo 1GB memory card.I also tried formatting it from the camera from the setup menu but the problem still persists.

I need your help guys on sorting this out.
Thank you
Do you have a memory card reader ? If yes, remove the card from the camera and open it using the reader. You should be able to format it from the PC.
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:42   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Do you have a memory card reader ? If yes, remove the card from the camera and open it using the reader. You should be able to format it from the PC.

Yes i do have an external card reader.When i tried doing it the card reader couldn't read the card in it so as a result no option of formatting.Any other alternatives?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks