Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 13:22   #736
Senior - BHPian

I am not exactly a lord... but a RAW image is exactly how the sensor see's it, its RAW as the word says. There's absolutely no post processing done at all on the image unlike the jpeg's which are post processed images straight out of the camera. The post processing of images can be done on a RAW editing software or photshop to your preference and taste. The post processing on an image "in camera" includes noise reduction, sharpness and many other details of an image. Some camera's have good in camera post processing, so good infact that its difficult to edit the same image in RAW and get the same results. Even then say if you find the "in camera" noise reduction to be excessive and robbing the pics of finer details, you can always click the image in RAW and decide everything yourself. Most of the images that you see on various photography forums are post processed images, especially the DSLR one's. DSLR's give you an option of clicking the same image in RAW as well as jpeg's at the same time, so for that memorable shot even if the "in camera" processing" screws it all, you always have the RAW image with you and you can do whatever you want to with that.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:47   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not exactly a lord... ....
so for that memorable shot even if the "in camera" processing" screws it all, you always have the RAW image with you and you can do whatever you want to with that.
you mean you are not a lord yet

Thanks a ton e_t, that was very informative.
From the information you have given, I will use the raw-format when I want to try some photography and want to capture some fine details. But for the rest of the times will use '' in-camera processing ''. For the time being, i will leave the proceesing thing to the camera for capturing those ''memorable'' shots, as I am yet to learn the photography and photshop tools.

raj.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:55   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
you mean you are not a lord yet

Thanks a ton e_t, that was very informative.
From the information you have given, I will use the raw-format when I want to try some photography and want to capture some fine details. But for the rest of the times will use '' in-camera processing ''. For the time being, i will leave the proceesing thing to the camera for capturing those ''memorable'' shots, as I am yet to learn the photography and photshop tools.

raj.
Far far from it infact

The noise reduction was just an example, RAW basically gives you all the freedom to do the processing after you have clicked the pic. Its the "original" image.
I remember reading a review of some pentax cam where they specifically mentioned that the processed pics straight out of the camera arent good, while the RAW images came out awesome, in this case you can click the pic in RAW and since the in camera processing isnt good, you can process it afterwards to your satisfaction. Canon cam's have very good in camera processing, so good at times that getting the same results with a processed RAW image becomes very difficult.
Old 26th July 2007, 14:00   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
Heres my digital camera, Nikon Coolpix 5900
5.1 MP, 3x Optical Zoom point-n-shoot type
good picture clarity in sunlight
night pics are not so good
got it for 12.5K (without bill) in 2004
the market price at that time was 22K !!

Sample pic shown below(compressed and resized)
This is the sexy Delhi-Noida Expressway, called DND flyway

Am planning to go for a new camera, which is the best camera under 20K? (without bill is okay)
Size is not an issue, not looking for a slim camera.
I guess 5MP is more than enough
Am considering Canon S3 IS as of now.
Under 20k's nothing can even touch the Canon S3 IS when it comes to feature set and image quality. It gives you all the manual settings, gives you all the freedom to experiment, offcourse like all other P&S anything above ISO 200 is a let down.
You can get it for close to 290$ in US.... and its a hell lot of camera for that money. I have the same cam and I am loving it.
Old 31st July 2007, 11:54   #740

Hi! i bought this Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS 8.0MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom.Its been just over a month and im falling in love with it.I had heard a lot about the S3 version but then couldn't affoard to buy one,now that things have changed wanted to buy the one i admired the most,but getting back to buying got to know that Canon came up with S5 in the month of May 2007,just waited for its feedback and then once reviwed and was rated well i had no second taught of buying it.Its great,but its noisy above ISO200 thats something that disappoints me.otherwise its great.lot of features to be listed.the cam cost me around 20k but rest the charger,2 sets of batteries,pouch,4 GB card all cost me another 5 k.so in all it was 25k.Its not a great enhancement from S3 but improved for sure.Digital Photography Interface :: Canon PowerShot S5 IS Review
Old 31st July 2007, 22:18   #741
Senior - BHPian

Since my FinePix S7000 developed technical snag with vertical line with every photo I take from last 1 month last week I have baught Kodak C763, it came with lot of offers for 11,000/-

Ravi.
Old 31st July 2007, 23:24   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Under 20k's nothing can even touch the Canon S3 IS when it comes to feature set and image quality. It gives you all the manual settings, gives you all the freedom to experiment, offcourse like all other P&S anything above ISO 200 is a let down.
You can get it for close to 290$ in US.... and its a hell lot of camera for that money. I have the same cam and I am loving it.
extreme_torque, did you get yours here in delhi? for how much?
Old 1st August 2007, 12:11   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
extreme_torque, did you get yours here in delhi? for how much?
I got mine from US. You can get it in Palika Bazar for around 13-14k's
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:27   #744
BHPian

Quote:

Am planning to go for a new camera, which is the best camera under 20K? (without bill is okay)
Size is not an issue, not looking for a slim camera.
I guess 5MP is more than enough
Am considering Canon S3 IS as of now.
My suggestion is that you go for the Sony DSC H7 or the H7. I have been using the DSC H2 (the second generation camera in the H family) for the last year. Honestly speaking, when you are talking of high-end prosumer cameras, most of them are quite similar in specs. What i have found is that of all the cameras, the Sony generally has the lowest low light noise issues. Also, added to this, it comes with a Carl Zeiss lens, and the distortion at extreme zoom is negligible.

If you want a very technical, piece-by piece comparison of your cameras, i recommend you go check out dpreview (Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ) and Steve's Digicams. Both these sites have detailed tests of the cameras under different conditiond. The same tests are done across all cameras in a category, and the test results are compared.

The main issue i have with Canons are their image sensors have very lousy low light capabilities, resulting in a lot of noise...can get very very distracting at times.

hope this helps
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:58   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin390 View Post
My suggestion is that you go for the Sony DSC H7 or the H7. I have been using the DSC H2 (the second generation camera in the H family) for the last year. Honestly speaking, when you are talking of high-end prosumer cameras, most of them are quite similar in specs. What i have found is that of all the cameras, the Sony generally has the lowest low light noise issues. Also, added to this, it comes with a Carl Zeiss lens, and the distortion at extreme zoom is negligible.
Canon doesnt needs a Carl Zeiss to design its lenses they do it themselves unlike sony and are a master at that. Have you yourself read the review of H7 on dpreview. Its not even recommended, just about average and same is the case with sony H9. Canon S5 is still the best ultra zoom out there, but S3 IS was a little better if the image quality is concerned.
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:43   #746
BHPian

Very urgent. Driving down to Banglore this Saturday and planning to buy a good lens for Canon 400D. Where do I get lenses in Banglore (preferrably Tamron and Sigma or Canon)? I would prefer gray market.

Please help me.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 2nd August 2007 at 20:45.
Old 2nd August 2007, 20:57   #747
rkg
Senior - BHPian

ravi@64bhp
as far as i know HYD is better place than bangalore with respect to prices. if you still want try national market etc on KG road.but be aware they will charge you some times more than actual MRP if you know the MRP in india then try here.
Old 8th August 2007, 20:47   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where do I get lenses in Banglore (preferrably Tamron and Sigma or Canon)? I would prefer gray market.
ravi finding grey stuff is a little difficult when it comes to lenses here. You may wanna try National Market or even Bajaj complex in the Majestic area(near the city bus stand).

I would recommend you try Photo-Circle in the Chikpet area or Pixetra on Cunningham road for lenses.

BTW I need help folks. Looking at buying a wide angle lens for my Nikon D50.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Nikon has listed a few here .. Please keep the cost factor in mind while recommending .
Old 9th August 2007, 10:53   #749
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Im planning to get myself a Canon A550.
Has anyone used this? What do u think??
Old 9th August 2007, 11:18   #750
BHPian

Nitrous, go for the later versions of canon it has IS. like A710 IS. A550 is a lil outdated if you ask me.

Most Viewed