Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 21:49   #5326
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello,

We purchased Canon S200 from Amazon.in for 11979/- a month back.

Now the offer is no more there.
It's still available at Amazon for the same price as of now. http://www.amazon.in/Canon-PowerShot...rds=canon+s110
Old 18th November 2014, 11:03   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
^^^ Canon S110 costs some 11-12k in India Amazon site. A worthy camera for low light performance. Even the MRP is <20k, I don't know where you got the 28 k figure. S90 was costing 27k, and it feels great in hand as compared to S110, who has got a marginally better performance than S90.
I got all the figure from the respective Indian websites where Canon and Nikon display their maximum retail prices.

All the figures I have posted are verified.
In fact can you show me where you got S110 for 11-12K? ??
I hope you are not getting confused by S200.

Canon S (about 25-30 K) and Nikon P (about 18-20K)
S120 and P340 - current gen - same specs
S110 and P330 - previous gen - same specs
S100 and P310 - older gen - Nikon had smaller sensor
S95 and P300 - even older gen - Nikon had smaller sensor
S90 and nothing from Nikon - ancient gen

So where does S200 fit in? Canon uses the same S95 sensor with higher processing. Priced about the same as Nikon P340 (which means 18-20K)

Of course I have nothing against previous gen sensor or newer gen processing etc. Such things hardly make difference in the large picture. But I am amazed at the audacity of Canon and gullibility of buyers which keeps Canon's price always much much higher than it's competition (unless you get fantastic deals like skdking got)

Last edited by alpha1 : 18th November 2014 at 11:18.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:48   #5328
Senior - BHPian

alpha1^^^ You are right, my bad. I confused S110 with S200. S110 hardly ever sold here, I think. I too have the S200 only, at similar deal of skdking. The previous gen S90 and S110 does have difference in quality. Photo quality is better in S110, camera hardware quality is better in S90.
Old 18th November 2014, 21:12   #5329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
So where does S200 fit in? Canon uses the same S95 sensor with higher processing. Priced about the same as Nikon P340 (which means 18-20K).
S200 is the downgraded version of S120, and the major difference being the type of sensor. CMOS would be better for low light picture quality than CCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Of course I have nothing against previous gen sensor or newer gen processing etc. Such things hardly make difference in the large picture.
The sensor size and type, makes all the difference for your picture quality rather than the megapixels.
Old 23rd November 2014, 19:40   #5330
BHPian

Hi All,

I had purchased the Canon A710 IS camera when I was in US in 2007. A few months back the zoom mechanism stopped working.

When I visited the Canon center in Brigade towers in Bangalore I was told it cannot be repaired as the warranty is expired and no support is provided. I was instead asked to go for exchange offer during festival season. I told I am willing to pay for the repairs but Canon said they cannot do that. When I sent a mail to India support center I was again pointed to check with Bangalore center.

I do not understand why I should dump a working camera and go for a new one. I am neither asking Canon to repair it free of charge nor I am claiming any warranty. Is this a "standard" practice by Canon for all the cameras? I am afraid I may face a similar situation if I go for a new camera and it stops working.
Old 24th November 2014, 07:07   #5331
Senior - BHPian

Friends - this might have got covered somewhere in the previous 350 + pages of this topic - I wanted to know if there is any online course or a DSLR 101 type online write up available on line for me to read and experiment before I start clicking away? Essentially, I at least want to learn basics of photography. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:56   #5332
Senior - BHPian

^^^ you are talking about the technical aspects (like exposure, focus, panning, PASM controls, various modes and effects, post processing etc)?
Or you are talking about the creative aspect (like framing, perspective, lighting, etc)?
Old 25th November 2014, 18:46   #5333
Team-BHP Support

I need some advice from the photography enthusiasts community.

I own a Canon EOS450 DSLR with 18-55 kit lens, 50mm F1.8 lens and a 70-300IS telephoto. As I find it very difficult to lug this weight during my business and leisure travels, I am looking for a enthusiast compact with good IQ which I can carry in my pocket. After reading many reviews, I have shortlisted the below models.

1. Canon G7x
2. Sony Rx100 Mk2
3. Sony Rx100 Mk3

All the three have 1 inch sensors. As the Rx100 Mk2 becomes slower (aperture of 4.9 at 100mm) in longer focal lengths, I decided to drop this from the list. Now, I am confused between Canon G7x and Rx100 Mk3.

G7x Pros:
Has a longer reach 24-100 vs. Sony's 24-70, without sacrificing aperture.
Has touch screen LCD with touch focus. This is very useful in focus pulling during video recording
About 10k cheaper than Rx100 Mk3

G7x Cons:
No view finder
Video recording not as great as the Rx100. Does not have the 24fps and 120fps (for slow motion) options
Images become softer at high ISO due to heavy noise reduction
Battery life, only 210 shots
This is the first generation in this series and hence may not be a mature product
Not available immediately. Only on order

Rx100 Mk3 Pros:
Electronic View finder
Great performance for video recording
Sharper images at high ISO
Higher battery life, 320 shots
Mature design in its third generation
Immediate availability

Rx100 Mk3 Cons:
Shorter reach on the zoom. 70mm vs. Canon's 100mm
No touch screen for touch to focus operation
10k more expensive

As both the G7x and Rx100 are equally good in many aspects (sensor, image quality, low light performance), I am in a dilemma. After reading many reviews, I find that the Sony Rx100 is more popular of the two. Also, I had a hands on demo of the Rx100, and hence the heart says Rx100. But the 24-100 zoom and touch screen are making me lean towards Canon. Combined with a 10k cheaper price tag, head says G7x.

I am not able to find any store that has a G7x that I can test. It is available only on order. Has anyone tested both the G7x and Rx100 Mk3 side by side? How bad am I going to miss the zoom? With a 20MP sensor, would a crop to the image achieve some extended zoom?

Thanks in advance for any pointers and suggestions.
Old 25th November 2014, 18:53   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Essentially, I at least want to learn basics of photography. Thanks.
http://digital-photography-school.com/ is a great resource both to understand the creative as well as technical side of photography. They have a forum where you can take part in weekly exercises to improve your photography. Apart from that I would suggust looking at good photographs (sites like 1x.com, 500px.com, flickr) in the genre you are interested in and train your eye for better composition. Go step by step and slowly you'll improve. Most people expect to learn everything at one go, which never happens and then they give up.

Good Luck!
Old 25th November 2014, 19:28   #5335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I need some advice from the photography enthusiasts community.

I own a Canon EOS450 DSLR with 18-55 kit lens, 50mm F1.8 lens and a 70-300IS telephoto. As I find it very difficult to lug this weight during my business and leisure travels, I am looking for a enthusiast compact with good IQ which I can carry in my pocket. After reading many reviews, I have shortlisted the below models.

1. Canon G7x
2. Sony Rx100 Mk2
3. Sony Rx100 Mk3

Thanks in advance for any pointers and suggestions.
Hello,

Go for G7x. You will love the cam.
Old 3rd January 2015, 08:48   #5336
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

I had purchased the Canon A710 IS camera when I was in US in 2007. A few months back the zoom mechanism stopped working.

I visited the Canon center in Brigade towers in Bangalore I was told it cannot be repaired as the US warranty is expired and no support is provided. I was instead asked to go for exchange offer during festival season. I told I am willing to pay for the repair but Canon said they cannot do that. When I sent a mail to India support center, I was again pointed to check with Bangalore center.

I do not understand why I should dump a working camera and go for a new one. I am neither asking Canon to repair it free of charge nor I am claiming any warranty. Is this a "standard" practice by Canon for all the cameras? I am afraid I may face a similar situation if I go for a new camera and it stops working.

Searched Google to check if I can fix it. There are quite a few articles which mention how to clean the stuck sand in the lens mechanism. None of them worked - the retraction does not happen fully. Any local repair shops who can fix this for me?

Note from Moderator: Post moved to appropriate thread. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd January 2015 at 10:31. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:51   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
None of them worked - the retraction does not happen fully. Any local repair shops who can fix this for me?
I faced similar problem with focus motor of Fuji S9500 (bought in 2006). Cost of getting the motor imported + customs + labor was way too high for such an old camera. Since that was a US model, Fuji India did not have parts.

Camera repair shops might fix it if they have parts or can use one of the broken ones to get parts.
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:25   #5338
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

I visited the Canon center in Brigade towers in Bangalore I was told it cannot be repaired as the US warranty is expired and no support is provided. I was instead asked to go for exchange offer during festival season. I told I am willing to pay for the repair but Canon said they cannot do that. When I sent a mail to India support center, I was again pointed to check with Bangalore center.

Searched Google to check if I can fix it. There are quite a few articles which mention how to clean the stuck sand in the lens mechanism. None of them worked - the retraction does not happen fully. Any local repair shops who can fix this for me?

Note from Moderator: Post moved to appropriate thread. Thanks
Go to SN bazaar behind sukh sagar mall near majestic. there 3 guys who undertake such repairs. recently i got my Fuji 6000fd auto focus repaired there. his name i Asgar. will tell u wheather it can be done or not.
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:28   #5339
BHPian

Any views on Fujifilm FInepix s6800? At Amazon.in the price hovers near 10000/- . I have an old (circa 2004) Nikon coolpix 3200 with 3X digital zoom, 3.2MP Cam.(Pl don't laugh at the specs). This was bought for a princely sum of 12000Rs from a friend who bought it at UAE. I am not a serious photographer but want to upgrade to a better camera with CMOS sensor which I am told is better for taking natural snaps in low light scenes. Some comments about build quality issues in Fuji is seen. Is it correct.
I was having in mind Nikon coolpix S6800 or Nikon Coolpix S5200 also (all having CMOS sensors).
Please pour in your suggestions. I do not want to spend more than 10000INR (little flexibility is given)
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:33   #5340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Any views on Fujifilm FInepix s6800? At Amazon.in the price hovers near 10000/- . I have an old (circa 2004) Nikon coolpix 3200 with 3X digital zoom, 3.2MP Cam.(Pl don't laugh at the specs). This was bought for a princely sum of 12000Rs from a friend who bought it at UAE. I am not a serious photographer but want to upgrade to a better camera with CMOS sensor which I am told is better for taking natural snaps in low light scenes. Some comments about build quality issues in Fuji is seen. Is it correct.
I was having in mind Nikon coolpix S6800 or Nikon Coolpix S5200 also (all having CMOS sensors).
Please pour in your suggestions. I do not want to spend more than 10000INR (little flexibility is given)
Hey,

If low light is your thing go with nikon p330 or p340 with your eyes closed.

Cost - 16000/- approx.

Else try to get canon s200 under deal from amazon.in for 12000/-.

Mind you. They have 24mm lens and 5x zoom.

Why do you need a hig zoom?

You require a wide angled fast lens.

Which is what these cameras provide.

Last edited by skdking : 3rd January 2015 at 22:37.

Most Viewed