Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 00:50   #2146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For a beginner the best deal is to get a camera with in body IS. For example E-500. K10D. K200D. I am not a big fan of sony cameras(They are not bad, really).
The problem is on lens availability with these - especially if you are trying to source them in India. Here, Nikon and Canon are the ones you'll find easily. If you do have access to US stores/sites, your options widen a lot. You can browse around a few online stores like bhphotovideo and adorama to see what system offers what lenses and decide what suits your needs.

Having just spent a lot of time deciding what camera to buy, I'll run you through my thinking. First, I had a Nikon D40 that I domeone gifted me late last year. It took me six months to explore the limitations of the kit lens and the body (lens - virtually useless for low light, body - only auto focuses with certain lenses). Started scouting around for an upgrade. Since I hadnt invested money in lenses, I was open to any of the systems. In terms of current camera bodies, Canon seems to be ahead of Nikon in the race. In terms of lens availability, they both seem to be running neck to neck - at least within my budget range. I looked at Olympus but their lense collection and availability seemed problematic. Ditto with Sony. Pentax had the lenses but the prices on the K200D and the K20D seemed a bit too high. Also, I couldnt actually find any place selling them or servicing their DSLR's in India.

After handling some Canon cameras, I decided to stick with Nikon. Mainly because I'd become quite comfortable around their cameras, having handled both my D40 (a lot) as well as a cousin's D3 (a bit). I swapped by D40 for a used D70 - mainly to get some stick time with a wider variety of lenses. Plan to use this body for a year odd before trading it in for a new one.
Old 4th May 2008, 01:10   #2147
Team-BHP Support

Thats why I said "beginner"
An amateur photographer, atleast in initial years of photography won't have much glass.
For example, even after more than 2 years of ownership I just have 2 extra lenses.

So for a guy who just wants to learn photography and experiment a bit with a DSLR maybe a bit of bird photography, getting a 50-500 Sigma lens for pentax mount is not too difficult.
For landscapes the 16-35 is good.

Even olympus is opening showrooms in India, and ditto for Sony.
Its just a matter of 3-4 years when you will easily get pentax/only/sony cams in the open market easily.
In big cities its already possible.
Old 4th May 2008, 07:49   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a beginner the best deal is to get a camera with in body IS. For example E-500. K10D. K200D. I am not a big fan of sony cameras(They are not bad, really).

What exactly is the benefit of Body IS over IN lens IS. Most of the recent models in the market seems to be ones with the latter!
Old 4th May 2008, 08:00   #2149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
kb100 : In the DSLRs it gets a little more complicated...

And the mother of all Q's - what ZOOM lens to buy/use along with this... without breaking my back - every which way!!
IMHO, the kit-lens with the body is akin to having a digital P&S in terms of aperture & zoom capabilities. If you intend to utilize the body well, then try for a 2 or 3 lens combo that can cover the entire range from super-wide angle to super-tele.

Go for the max aperture you can afford. You may have to start with just one lens, but that's better in the long run.
Old 4th May 2008, 11:44   #2150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
What exactly is the benefit of Body IS over IN lens IS. Most of the recent models in the market seems to be ones with the latter!
Every lens you own becomes IS with in body IS.
That means for future lens purchases you save money.
IS lenses cost more than non IS lenses for similarly specked lenses.
Old 4th May 2008, 12:03   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
The benefit of an 'in-body' image stabilizer is that even a manual focus lens of 1950's is imagestabilized. Some sites mention that the image stabilizer in the lens can give over one-stop advantage over the same with in-body IS systems. But at the cost of $100s for "each" lens.
The main disadvantage (rather a discomfort) in using an in-body IS is while shooting long range shots. What you see through the lens is a very shaky image which is however being compensated by the CCD-shift when the shot is taken. The user does not get the feel of an image stabilizer working. It only shows up after the shot is taken. The user experience is much more pleasant when shooting a bird with a lens based IS system.

At the end of the day, it boils down to cost. To give you an idea, a pentax K100D kit with a sigma 17-70 macro, pentax 50mm f1.4 and a tamron 70-300 (all of which are image stabilized thanks to the body) costed me around 55K (INR equivalent, not bought in India) including all accessories like filters bags and tripod. Now, try put the same calculation with IS lenses.

This also gives an idea of why pentax and olympus are not making as much money as canon/Nikon.

<Oops! close timing! previous post already answers the question>

Last edited by kvish : 4th May 2008 at 12:04.
Old 4th May 2008, 12:11   #2152
BHPian

Hi ,

i use a cannon power shot a 530 and have a JVC handy cam . i m planning to buy a new handy cam , any suggesstions and would want a facility to record direct from TV . I know there was a thread earlier but could not get conclusive answers .

Regards.. kat
Old 4th May 2008, 19:27   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Just so that I understand - How much more expensive will the IS-in-lens lenses be over the non IS lenses of the same make/spec?

I wanted to understand the potential one time investment cost.

I sort of liked the LIVE VIEW facility of the new EOS 450D.. Esp considering I am useless without my presription glasses!
Old 4th May 2008, 20:20   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
Just so that I understand - How much more expensive will the IS-in-lens lenses be over the non IS lenses of the same make/spec?

I wanted to understand the potential one time investment cost.

I sort of liked the LIVE VIEW facility of the new EOS 450D.. Esp considering I am useless without my presription glasses!
The Sony A-300/350 have live view. I think the Olympus E-510 does too (I'm not sure though). Don't know about the new Pentax models.

On the cost difference that IS brings to a lens, it can vary a lot. For the basic Nikon 18-55 kit lens, its Rs c2000 (4000 and 6000). For the Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, its c17,000 (30k vs 47k). Bear in mind that the two lenses are in very different categories - the 18-55 is a very basic entry level lens whilst the 70-200 is a professional telephoto lens.
Old 4th May 2008, 22:06   #2155
BHPian

Foveon sensor

I have not gone through the complete post but please do take a peek at the Foveon sensor featured cameras too.
It may have less gizmos compared to other cameras but will make up for it in image quality and for GOD sakes do not go by the low resolution of this sensor/camera.

Foveon
Foveon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SIGMA SD14

Last edited by drpullockaran : 4th May 2008 at 22:25.
Old 4th May 2008, 22:10   #2156
Team-BHP Support

Guys, any good guides and tutorials on basic digital photography and post processing ? I want to utilize my powershot 540 slightly better than i currently do.
Old 5th May 2008, 00:49   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I have not gone through the complete post but please do take a peek at the Foveon sensor featured cameras too.
It may have less gizmos compared to other cameras but will make up for it in image quality and for GOD sakes do not go by the low resolution of this sensor/camera.

Foveon
Foveon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SIGMA SD14
That camera is quite limited in purpose. First of all its a wide angle fixed focal length lens which basically means one can't take portraits. Plus at 800$, it doesn't make much sense to buy it. Its an excellent sensor though and a great camera for landscape photographers.
Old 5th May 2008, 01:26   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Night shots and high ISO??? I always use ISO 200 for night shots. There is no subsitute for a tripod. Many exposures I take have duration in minutes.
Yes night shots at high ISO - with Nikon there is an advantage to keeping long exposures limited, because of amp noise but then Im sure you knew that...

Quote:
Of course you missed a fatal flaw in my argument, which I now state.
I said that in 2 years time you will have APS-C pushing 15MP with clean images at ISO 800.
In the same time Full frame will push 30MP with same image quality at same ISOs(maybe even better).
Hey, be my guest, you're welcome to pick all the holes you want in your arguments

Quote:
As for your glass, would love to see your images. The best glass I own is the 74$ 50mm 1.8, and most of my photography is done by the 18-55 kit lens.
good for you. I started my photography with a film p&s Minolta. Over the years I've bought all the equipment I want not because it makes me a better photographer (I still think that some of pictures from that Minolta were damn good) but because it helps me get the shot I want. Equipment after all is just that - equipment.
And yes, I have posted some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
The problem is on lens availability with these - especially if you are trying to source them in India. Here, Nikon and Canon are the ones you'll find easily. If you do have access to US stores/sites, your options widen a lot. You can browse around a few online stores like bhphotovideo and adorama to see what system offers what lenses and decide what suits your needs.
I agree with you completely on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
I swapped by D40 for a used D70 - mainly to get some stick time with a wider variety of lenses. Plan to use this body for a year odd before trading it in for a new one.

Good decision - the D70 is a much more capable body than the D40, 40x, 60. Although when it comes to trading it in, waiting may not be a good idea. I thought I'd do the same with my D70s and guess what a shop in Canada told me I'd get for it? $250 tops. The trade was just not worth it. I decided to keep the body and continue using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have now realised that most of my viewing will probably be done on a big (46"/52") TV. I wont be taking prints much. Hence a FF DSLR might be be soething I will graduate too once body prices drop to about $2000. Till then I'd have to live with the 40D. You dont realise the limitations of the 40D image untill you see the images on the 1Ds.
Thanks for replying. I guess if the difference is that obvious in the way you view your pictures, FF is warranted.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th May 2008 at 09:56.
Old 5th May 2008, 11:12   #2159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First between Prosumer Vs DSLR

Prosumer its between Canon S5 IS and the Panasonic FZ18

In the DSLRs it gets a little more complicated...

1. Canon EOS 450D - with the IS 55mm Kit lens
2. Canon EOS 400D - with the same IS kit lens from the 450
3. Nikon D60 - with its 55mm kit lens
4. Nikon D40X - With the D60's Kit lens!
And the mother of all Q's - what ZOOM lens to buy/use along with this... without breaking my back - every which way!!

Pro's/Con's ... and CONs...
Confucius Rules!!!

Guruz!!.. Help here pls.. Can you help me pick the good combination here - Money no object limited to 10- 20K here and there. I am not likely to change this for some time - other than lenses that is.

Any views on the 450D?

One thing that is on my mind is aftersales service - another Tbhpians Panasonic prosumer packed up (water fell on it) and they have not been able to repair it at all!. In fact their Delhi HO claims it has to be sent to the US for repair!

These are no longer mechanical or electro-mechanical gadgets - with so much electronics I would be happier if they had reliable and comprehensive service facilities right here in India! Am I right in assuming maybe this is where Nikon and Canon score in India as of now??

Last edited by kb100 : 5th May 2008 at 11:14.
Old 5th May 2008, 11:30   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I thought I'd do the same with my D70s and guess what a shop in Canada told me I'd get for it? $250 tops. The trade was just not worth it. I decided to keep the body and continue using it.
you can probably get around INR 15k for it in India if its in good shape and the shutter count is relatively low.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks