Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 12:13   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which UPS to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Servo market is highly unorganized by my experience. There are many local manufacturers showing order copies of major known companies but all hard to believe. Depending on the load, broadly there will be two options, Dry and Oil type and then depending on the winding- Copper or Aluminum prices will vary. Best will be to ask someone some references and then actually verify the same. Most of the food retail outlets like PizzaHut/ Subway/ CCD should have these installed wherever they operated outside of the malls in standalone showrooms. But, do you have so varying voltage that you need the Servo at first place? Like does your A/C does not work in summers? Yoy may need a 3 phase servo depending on the connection you have.
Thanks Turban. I have found this brand called Krykard: http://atandra.in/index.php/servo-st...e-stabilisers/

These guys seem to be big, have multiple service centers across the country (though they dominate the south more), and seem to generally be a more organized set of people to deal with.

The new office we have moved to has a lot of voltage fluctuations. To the point that it trips the online UPS. Then we have an error code which says Input AC voltage Bad. Right now, we have a voltage cut off device, which simply cuts off the power to the UPS if the fluctuation is bad. There after, we have to go do a manual reset - sometimes the UPS powers on and sometimes it does not want to.

UPS technicians who have had a look at the UPS say the UPS seems to work fine. We did a full system reboot recently by disconnecting the entire unit and plugging it back on again (something which hasn't been done for over a year).

We only run our computers and other general electricals through this UPS.
Old 1st February 2019, 12:23   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
have multiple service centers across the country (though they dominate the south more)
We only run our computers and other general electricals through this UPS.
Looks organized, take some references and you should be good

For your usage where you are not running Air Conditioners or some heavy load, dry type will be good.
Old 1st February 2019, 12:24   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Looks organized, take some references and you should be good

For your usage where you are not running Air Conditioners or some heavy load, dry type will be good.
Thanks, Yes going with a single phase air cooled unit.

I read one review on Amazon.in and said okay!
Old 11th February 2019, 21:32   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Before scrapping these expensive batteries do check if they pass the Sp. Gr and load tests.
Got one of the two batteries charged at another shop. No change :(

Looks like battery replacement is required.

Trying to figure out which one to go for. Only batteries ? or UPS/Invertor too ?
Old 11th February 2019, 23:23   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Got one of the two batteries charged at another shop. No change :(
Battery is at EOL (End Of Life), better to replace the batteries in pairs rather than singly.

Quote:
Trying to figure out which one to go for. Only batteries ? or UPS/Invertor too ?
Exide makes the best inverter batteries. No matter their questionable rep in automobile batteries their inverter batteries are a cut above the rest. I speak from personal experience.

My Exide Invatubular 200 AH batteries will complete 6 years in Apr 2019 and are still going strong (touch wood). Prior to this we had a Exide 150 AH battery and it worked without a single hiccup for years. I would stick to Exide.

As for the inverter get it checked before considering a replacement. They are not expensive to repair.

The thing is, an inverter system is like a chain..only as good as its weakest link.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:12   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Battery is at EOL (End Of Life), better to replace the batteries in pairs rather than singly.
Thanks, @R2D2. The idea was to 1 new over 2 old for the immediate replacement. Then add the 2nd one battery.

(Got only one old battery charged this time more as test - and also not having to move these 2 heavy units, in case recharghing does not work. And that is what has happened)

Our Invertor is an old one, and the guy who supplied it has not shown much interest in supporting the unit of late. Hence was thinking of Luminous, as it is looks like having a decent network.

Last edited by condor : 12th February 2019 at 08:13.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:34   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, @R2D2. The idea was to 1 new over 2 old for the immediate replacement. Then add the 2nd one battery.

(Got only one old battery charged this time more as test - and also not having to move these 2 heavy units, in case recharghing does not work. And that is what has happened)
Depending on the size/capacity you can start off with replacing just one to get the system functional but ideally, it would be best if you replaced all batteries as, all things being equal, multiple batteries in one system age more or less equally with use.

Quote:
Our Invertor is an old one, and the guy who supplied it has not shown much interest in supporting the unit of late. Hence was thinking of Luminous, as it is looks like having a decent network.
All brands of inverters are similar. You will find both bouquets and brickbats related to each brand. But yep, Luminous is one of the good ones.

I too was angling to upgrading my inverter from 1.5 to 2 KVA but held back since power failures have been at their lowest since the past few years.

Given that the public in MH, except Mumbai, is ripped off and pay between Rs 9-10/unit in the power consumption slab I fall in (approx. 300-400 units/month without AC) good power supply is now a requirement. Luckily MSEB is delivering for the most part at least in the locality of Pune city that I reside in.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th February 2019 at 09:35.
Old 13th February 2019, 21:23   #263
BANNED

I guess for a 300 - 400 unit consumption per month, considering solar is worth the time spent on research. Of course, possible only if you live in an Independent house.

Guess a 4 kva set up will be sufficient. (We have a thread on solar power). Your pocker will be lighter by around ₹ 3-4 lakh including batteries.

For the record, in Kochi, APC and Luminous UPSes are handled by same dealer. Looking at other dealers, one difficulty I face is people trying to palm off assembled units.
Old 4th March 2020, 19:00   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Recommendations for a ~400 watt UPS with built-in batteries? Needs to power 2 routers and a ACT box for as long as possible (~15 minutes).

APC heavily pushed on Amazon but decidedly mixed reviews. Which other brands are good?

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th March 2020 at 19:01.
Old 21st March 2020, 08:48   #265
Senior - BHPian

Our APC tall tubular battery seems to be up for replacement, 150 Ah. I need some recommendations please as APC is now Luminous and I don't want to deal with them anymore. Is there any maintenance free battery, like we have on cars? There is this Gel based product, will it be superior? Should I call 'battery bhai' for best prices in Bangalore? Thanks in advance
Old 21st March 2020, 11:49   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Our APC tall tubular battery seems to be up for replacement, 150 Ah. I need some recommendations please as APC is now Luminous and I don't want to deal with them anymore. Is there any maintenance free battery, like we have on cars? There is this Gel based product, will it be superior? Should I call 'battery bhai' for best prices in Bangalore? Thanks in advance
I just purchased a new battery from Amaron for my home UPS. Got a good price too. Go to their website, get the nearest pitstop contact number and go from there.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 14:39   #267
Senior - BHPian

I went to the Amaron PitStop (and main Bangalore office in Jayanagar) and looked up the model. 150 Ah was coming to 14k after exchange. I liked the fact that it has a single flute on top into which you also fill in water, but they're not responding at all (found them too lethargic). Besides, I wanted it within 4 hours, max (not 2 days). BatteryWale is quoting 10,500 for the same. let's see who arrives first
Old 21st March 2020, 22:13   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Is there any maintenance free battery, like we have on cars? There is this Gel based product, will it be superior?
I was told that SMF or "sealed maintenance free" batteries lose performance at higher ambient temperatures. Also make sure you get tubular batteries, specific for UPS.
Old 21st March 2020, 22:46   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Which other brands are good?
Not sure about other brands but I have been using APC 800VA UPS for my lone wifi router for 4 years now without issues.
Purpose was to retain internet connectivity for up to 2 hrs without power.

It also has one no-backup, spike protection only socket that I use for my stereo amplifier (you could probably use it for your TV)

Last edited by rajathv8 : 21st March 2020 at 22:48.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:30   #270
Senior - BHPian

Amaron 150Ah Tubular it is! Man, they make the nicest looking batteries. A minimal single flute on top, sealed holes with a nice cap - won my heart. LOl. 54 month warranty on top of that. Final price paid was 9,700 to BatteryWale, since PitStop was the pits when it came to service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I was told that SMF or "sealed maintenance free" batteries lose performance at higher ambient temperatures. Also make sure you get tubular batteries, specific for UPS.
Attached Thumbnails
Which UPS to buy ?-img_3177.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed