Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 18:02   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which UPS to buy ?

^^^APC option is always there, but the original battery given by APC was some unheard of Chinese brand. It was just average. After that, I put in a used battery salvaged from another UPS that was to be trashed. These 2 lasted till now (some 5ish years), as the UPS feeds off the inverter. So the battery sees very light duty.

So instead of getting a so-so quality Chinese battery at a pretty price from APC, getting some third party option directly from a battery dealer should be a much better and cheaper option, IMO.

Rocket I'v haard makes some real good batteries. If I can get one at a sane price, I will definitely consider it. Any idea if Tata Green, Amco, etc, also make sealed UPS batteries?

Yes, the battery will be 7.5 AH, 12 V. Fairly sure of that. I have a picture of the original APC battery. Will double check with that before buying.
Old 8th June 2013, 18:10   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Any idea if Tata Green, Amco, etc, also make sealed UPS batteries?
Nopes they don't.

IIRC only Exide, Rocket or Amaron make VRLA gel cell batteries for UPSes.

But make sure that you use the brand that they recommend or its dimensions could vary even by 1-2mm and it wont fit in the UPS. It happened to me. I wanted Amaron Quanta but had to go in for Exide Powersafe. And I most certainly don't recommend the Chinese BB brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Yes, the battery will be 7.5 AH, 12 V. Fairly sure of that. I have a picture of the original APC battery. Will double check with that before buying.
Peel off the APC sticker and you will see the details. The good thing is 12V 7.5AH batteries are easily available. They cost about Rs 800/unit when I last checked in Dec 2010.
Old 9th June 2013, 12:14   #213
BHPian

Re: What is a home computer UPS' battery life expectancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I too purchased 2 UPSes from Modular Electronics and the replacement referred to above was routed to them by APC's call centre.. The proprietor is customer friendly but I believe his employees are not really up to the mark.
Things seem to have changed a lot for APC.

I had a customer login through which I could log complaints online. That site is down now. It was http://jpaa-en.apc.com as of my last complaints.

The new site does not have customer login facility.

The Pune contacts of the company have completely changed:

https://www.apc.com/support/contact/index.cfm

To top it all, previous phone numbers I used to use to talk with Modular Electronics are not working any more.

I'll contact the new numbers tomorrow.

Last edited by mayuresh : 9th June 2013 at 12:16.
Old 9th June 2013, 16:45   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post

I had a customer login through which I could log complaints online. That site is down now. It was http://jpaa-en.apc.com as of my last complaints.

To top it all, previous phone numbers I used to use to talk with Modular Electronics are not working any more.

The India call centres are barely effective. they just act like a giant post office sending your complaint back to the local dealer or APC office.

I have had great experience with the APC forum which is moderated by APC US staff. They are VERY helpful.

http://forums.apc.com/community/powe...peripheral_ups

Modular Electronics number is 66004817 and website is here:

http://www.indiamart.com/modular-electronics/
Old 9th June 2013, 16:49   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post

If you need help try posting on the APC forum. It is staffed/moderated by APC US persons and they are VERY helpful.

http://forums.apc.com/welcome

In India, APC's call centres are nothing better than a giant post office. They will pass on your complaint to a local dealer or APC office whichever is convenient to them.

For Modular Electronics, IIRC their number is 66004817, the Director (formerly Proprietor) Rajesh Barbhai is helpful. Their website is:

Old 10th June 2013, 02:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nopes they don't.

IIRC only Exide, Rocket or Amaron make VRLA gel cell batteries for UPSes.

But make sure that you use the brand that they recommend or its dimensions could vary even by 1-2mm and it wont fit in the UPS. It happened to me. I wanted Amaron Quanta but had to go in for Exide Powersafe. And I most certainly don't recommend the Chinese BB brand.

Peel off the APC sticker and you will see the details. The good thing is 12V 7.5AH batteries are easily available. They cost about Rs 800/unit when I last checked in Dec 2010.
Finally found the pic. The pic is of the original battery that came with the unit. I sold it to a battery dealer long ago. It had no sticker on it. Its a 7 Ah battery and not 7.5 Ah. The one in the unit right now, which I salvaged from a UPS to be thrown away is of 7.2 or 7.5 Ah. Worked well for about 2 or more years.

They don't recommed any brand other than their own?! Will try to get Rocket or Amaron, I guess, depending on price and warranty and size, if applicable. I was under the impression that they would all come in standard sizes. Guess I'll have to take the unit or at least the near dead battery along.
Attached Thumbnails
Which UPS to buy ?-apc-ups-orig-batt-sold-07102011.jpg  

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th June 2013 at 02:37.
Old 10th June 2013, 19:29   #217
BHPian

Quote:
For Modular Electronics, IIRC their number is 66004817, the Director (formerly Proprietor) Rajesh Barbhai is helpful. Their website is:

Thanks again. I have above number, but that has not been working. But above site helped to receive a call back.

I have no idea why modular's name has been dropped from APC website. BTW, the numbers from Aundh that are given on APC website don't work anyway. (What a mess...)

They are saying we'll have to pay for the battery and it will cost 1200/-. I think I will have to take out warranty and check the conditions again.
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:44   #218
BHPian

I am looking for an uninterrupted supply for my wifi router. Would appreciate help in choosing. Following is what I am thinking of:

1. Connecting to an existing UPS that powers a computer is ruled out due to placement issue. Router and PC need to be placed at different places.

2. Battery operated routers are nowadays available. I have one from Lava (W150), though I do not get a good intranet performance from this router. The range is also limited. There are other models from various makers, but not sure whether they will have any better range and performance, matching my old Linksys router.

3. A UPS with a very compact form factor may be a good solution for my need.

4. For powering a router, which anyway works on DC, inversion to 220V AC looks unnecessary. Is there any product that acts as an uninterrupted 9V DC supply (a sort of "DC UPS")? That will be very efficient and its form factor will be small as well.
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:38   #219
BHPian

UPS for TV

Hi All,

I have 40" LED TV and live in apartment. It takes 2-5 mins to switch on Generator during power failure. I am thinking to put TV (alone with stablizer) on UPS . Which UPS will suit to me

This is normal 600VA .. Will it suit to me ? or pl advice.

Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:16   #220
Senior - BHPian

Re: UPS for TV

A 600VA UPS will not be enough for a 40" TV. If you have a DVR set top box you can do what I have done. I have a small 600VA UPS only for the set top box. That way even when power fails the DVR just continues to record and I can rewind and watch the show.

Edit: For finding out what UPS will suit your TV you will have to go through it's tech specs and see how much power it draws when on and then decide on a UPS of the next higher capacity.

Last edited by vikram_d : 23rd December 2014 at 19:17.
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:17   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
A 600VA UPS will not be enough for a 40" TV. If you have a DVR set top box you can do what I have done. I have a small 600VA UPS only for the set top box. That way even when power fails the DVR just continues to record and I can rewind and watch the show.
I am just thinking to hook stablizer and then TV, Nothing else . What do u suggest.
Thanks for reply
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:21   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo_gogo View Post
I am just thinking to hook stablizer and then TV, Nothing else . What do u suggest.
Thanks for reply
You don't need a stabilizer in my opinion as the most good UPS'es have them built in. You can go ahead with a UPS for the TV if that is what you want. Just ensure that the UPS power rating is ok for your TV.
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:38   #223
BHPian

You can call up the UPS guys like I did call up the ones at APC and they suggested me as to which one suits me the best.

Or you can fill up the inquiry form at their website where they may also have a configurator to suggest you a particular model based on your requirements.
Old 23rd December 2014, 19:59   #224
BHPian

I am using APC 600 VA ups for my 46 inch led and onkyo 6xx DVR. My intention is to use as stabiliser. It gives a backup of 2 min. But my light backup comes back in 10 -15 sec

I am also using a similar load for my other room minus the DVR but using iball ups.

Both the ups are working fine. You can get a better deal on iball ups
Old 24th December 2014, 00:56   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo_gogo View Post
Hi All,

I have 40" LED TV and live in apartment. It takes 2-5 mins to switch on Generator during power failure. I am thinking to put TV (alone with stablizer) on UPS . Which UPS will suit to me

This is normal 600VA .. Will it suit to me ? or pl advice.

Thanks
Hi,

I had a similar problem at my apartment. My backup generator would start late and there would be no power for 2-5 min. And after asking people for their opinion, i was recommended high capacity ups which would cost at least 8-15k. But I was not ready for such costly UPS, and hence I did my own research. I found that My TV and DVR together require less than 200W input, additionally the TV (Samsung 40' Led) requires a sine wave input and a modified sine wave input would work fine too. So i got a Zebronics U725 UPS. And I did some testing, and found out that the UPS works perfectly fine. I have got a maximum backup of 9 min on the ups and also the cost was Rs1400. So i suggest you do the same, since it meets all the technical specification that the TV requires. And using the tv on ups for 2-5 min will not cause any problems to the UPS/TV.

Here is the link for the ups for you to refer:
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/zebr...ebronics%20ups

Good luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks