Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 01:38   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which UPS to buy ?

^^^If thats too much DIY, I'd suggest you simply take the whole UPS to a good battery shop and they'll do it for you in minutes. You'll get some money for your old battery also. Another thing you can do is to see if they can temporarily put in another battery and see if the issue persists. Or see if they can rent you a battery. Unlikely for UPS, as they may not have a spare ...they do that for cars. That way you'll know for sure if its the battery.
Old 15th May 2012, 09:18   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animdas View Post
Yes, they had said the last time.

I am not that confident in this DIY stuff. Moreover, I do not know whether it is the battery which has conked off- this time!
Still thinking whether to call APC or invest in something else!
As far as UPSes go you are better off with APC than other brands. The model you have the APC Back UPS 500 has a single 12V 7AH battery. If the replace battery LED is also lit then you can be sure it is time to change the battery.

Before blaming the UPS you need to know that:

a) As a general rule UPS batteries last 2-3 years in Indian tropical weather. And that could be more or less depending on the # of charge and discharge cycles, depth of discharge per cycle and other factors

b) Assuming your UPS is 2-3 years old it is probably time for a battery change.

You can buy Amaron Quanta or Exide Safepower or Powersafe (if available). Do NOT buy the cheap Chinese brands. These batteries last <1 year.

Check the user manual for instructions on how to replace the battery. You can download the PDF version from APC's site.

If you are not the DIY kind, get it done as an out of warranty service by APC or your APC dealer.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:03   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
....Another thing you can do is to see if they can temporarily put in another battery and see if the issue persists. Or see if they can rent you a battery. Unlikely for UPS, as they may not have a spare ...they do that for cars. That way you'll know for sure if its the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As far as UPSes go you are better off with APC than other brands. ...
If you are not the DIY kind, get it done as an out of warranty service by APC or your APC dealer.
Thanks Racoon, R2D2- missed the Thanks button.
Old 15th May 2012, 18:18   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
APC will charge him visiting and service charges mate. The battery shop where he buys the battery should do it for free. Whats more, he can choose which battery he wants. APC will most likely supply some Chinese battery (since they of course dont manuf. batts), which may not be too bad, but wont be amongst the better ones either. My APC came with some Chinese battery which lasted 3-4 years, but with minimal usage, as after the 1st year or so, it was working off our Sukam inverter. You'll get better batt brand (Amaron, Base, etc) at about the same price in the market.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:47   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
APC will charge him visiting and service charges mate. The battery shop where he buys the battery should do it for free. Whats more, he can choose which battery he wants. APC will most likely supply some Chinese battery (since they of course dont manuf. batts), which may not be too bad, but wont be amongst the better ones either. My APC came with some Chinese battery which lasted 3-4 years, but with minimal usage, as after the 1st year or so, it was working off our Sukam inverter. You'll get better batt brand (Amaron, Base, etc) at about the same price in the market.
Wish I could say the same about my experience with Chinese batts..that too APC approved ones. My Smart UPS 2200 (2.2 KVA) bought in Jan 2011 came with 'B-B' Chinese batteries that lasted precisely 13 months before I got them replaced under warranty. The replacements were, well, used batteries as I cannot get new batteries for old they being consumables. The APC engineer told me that Chinese batteries, even APC approved, are good but don't last very long under Indian conditions due to the heat and environmental factors. I wouldn't buy a Chinese battery as more reliable and warranted Indian ones are readily available.

I was using the replacements for some time (Exide Powersafe 17AH x 4) and got tired of the less than ideal backup time. Went in for new ones after a month. The charging characteristic v/s temp gradient of the UPS is attuned to some models and makes of VRLA batteries. I had to stick to the same battery model and make because the UPS is still under warranty. I kept the 'refurbs' instead of trading them in for scrap just in case I need to make a warranty claim.

Now to the issue with battery replacements - if the battery dealer knows his way around the APC UPS, as in how to open it up, wiring diagrams etc, then it is fine. I assume worst case they won't know hence suggest that he call APC. A 7AH battery costs about Rs 800-900/- Exide and Amaron make the best VRLAs in the country.
Old 16th May 2012, 02:17   #171
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thats why I suggested he buy something good like Amaron rather than going for a Chinese battery supplied by APC or otherwise. Normally these sealed batteries are supposed to last pretty long (unless its cycled to death soon). As for replacing the battery, I did it myself (swapped it from an old UPS. The specs were almost identical). Then went and got rid of the original APC provided battery by selling it to a nearby battery shop for some 50 - 100 bucks. A "good" battery dealer should be able to do it in minutes. I don't think he'll require a wiring diagram!

As for the price, IIRC I got a significantly cheaper quote from Base Terminal. But that was 1 - 2 years ago. Don't know if prices have changed much since.
Old 17th May 2012, 18:23   #172
Senior - BHPian

Good thread.
Looks like APC has got mostly positive reviews and very few negative issues.
I was planning to change my 4 year old iBall Nirantar UPS (probably 600-650 VA) which I use for my desktop.
I have asked APC for prices of some models, they have replied, but still have not shared the pricing.

But based on other website results, it seems APC is probably more expensive by Rs. 500-1500 for similar specifications?
My iBall Nirantar was purchased for Rs. 1600 or so.
I am now looking for a UPS with USB interface to turn-off my desktop automatically.
Backup time desired is 10-15 minutes.

Also, any comments on the 'pure sine wave' generators? Are they really needed?

Edit: Just read the other thread. I think I will look at Luminous or some other brand.

Last edited by S_U_N : 17th May 2012 at 18:39.
Old 28th July 2012, 19:18   #173
Team-BHP Support

Which is the best UPS currently?

My colony has power backup; so, I need UPS backup just for a few seconds - or a minute at max. So, the most basic would do too.

The desktop and modem will be hooked to it.
Old 29th July 2012, 01:33   #174
Senior - BHPian

After my experience with APC, I would only suggest APC. For me, the price difference was well worth it.
Old 29th July 2012, 08:44   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

My colony has power backup; so, I need UPS backup just for a few seconds - or a minute at max. So, the most basic would do too.

Go for the APS , its the best out there.
Old 29th July 2012, 10:15   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After my experience with APC, I would only suggest APC. For me, the price difference was well worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Go for the APS , its the best out there.
Quote:
Which is the best UPS currently? My colony has power backup; so, I need UPS backup just for a few seconds - or a minute at max. So, the most basic would do too.
Agreed with Raccoon and princey. APC is the best - been using it since 1999 13 years now, and a variety of models starting from a 500VA to 2.2KVA

A UPS is normally a long term purchase. Therefore when buying a UPS never go in for a model with bare minimum backup time - Reasons? your computer system will probably be upgraded and the battery will degrade. Therefore try and build a bit of extra backup time into your purchase. I'd say start off with a BackUPS RS BR800-IN. The BackUPS ES range is avoidable.
Old 29th July 2012, 10:51   #177
BHPian

Been using APC for a very long while almost from the nineties and have 3 at home. Can vouch for it.Its simply the best given its more expensive than the other brands out there.Definitely worth the premium you pay for it.
Old 29th July 2012, 11:28   #178
BHPian

Quote:

i disagree, with the general recommendation here. I was in the same dilemma as you, with power back up within a minute.
I needed continuous internet and needed my router modem and an ion download rig powered, without the internet going down. with warranties of a year or two years on battery and ups respectively, local brands are up to the task.

UPS's are available for 1.2k from decent indian brands, and for a few mins or seconds, they are the best deal!

remember ups prices will come down in two years again, something which costs 1600, will cost 1200 - total cost in 3rd year = 2800.

an APC after 3 years and a required battery replacement (recommended in 3 yrs) will cost the same.

the difference would be u would have warranty on your second ups since its new or if still working be a happy guy.

for basic use such as yours, an APC is overkill.

Last edited by babhishek : 29th July 2012 at 11:29.
Old 29th July 2012, 12:46   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
i disagree, with the general recommendation here. I was in the same dilemma as you, with power back up within a minute.
I needed continuous internet and needed my router modem and an ion download rig powered, without the internet going down. with warranties of a year or two years on battery and ups respectively, local brands are up to the task.

UPS's are available for 1.2k from decent indian brands, and for a few mins or seconds, they are the best deal!

remember ups prices will come down in two years again, something which costs 1600, will cost 1200 - total cost in 3rd year = 2800.

an APC after 3 years and a required battery replacement (recommended in 3 yrs) will cost the same.

the difference would be u would have warranty on your second ups since its new or if still working be a happy guy.

for basic use such as yours, an APC is overkill.
So what do you recommend? Which one did you buy?
Old 29th July 2012, 23:10   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987

So what do you recommend? Which one did you buy?
I bought APC 700 VA UPS with USB connectivity. I really wanted a system to shutdown the computer automatically once the power goes off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks