Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2008, 06:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Go for APC !! I am using model R S 1500 since 2 years (865 Watts / 1500 VA), never had a single complaint. In case of any error or technical back up, they do it quicker than any other brand. I used to get close to an hour back up with 2 LCD monitors, desktop and modem ON. Later upgraded with additional battery pack which gives a total of 4 hours back up as of now.
Gosh. Mine, with additional battery pack, tells me (PowerChute software) it will give three hours drawing 155 watts. That's one PC, CRT monitor, ADSL router/modem/wifi, adding a small CFL desk lamp when necessary.

I think yours is giving you a better deal than mine!
Old 28th February 2008, 06:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Crest

I have a "Crest". It is supposed to give 20 minutes backup for 1 PC. It gives about 7. The only good thing about it is that the battery is still good going on 2.5 years. I would not buy another. APC has the superior reputation and costs what they charged me for the Crest.
Old 28th February 2008, 07:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

i have been using a microtek 1000 va for about 1.5 years now, in my area there are frequent power cuts and at numerous occasions i have completely drained the battery, and yet this is going strong, it gives me a whole hour of back up, i have the CPU, a 17inch crt monitor, a modem, tv tuner card external and a 4.1creative speaker system attached to this!

and i have my ups switched on 24x7 365, so the batteries went kaput exactly at the end of 1 year replaced under warranty and still going strong and this come with warranty for 2 years, has two 7.5amp batteries and i think i will replace the next set under warranty at the end of this next year! its a VFM for this kind of back up at a price of 2700 when i bought it!

if i switch to LCD and remove the 4.1 and the modem, then the back up would go to 2 hours and normally can take the load of two computers with 14inch crt monitors for a period of 25mins!

so now you decide and choose!

Last edited by rider60 : 28th February 2008 at 07:07.
Old 28th February 2008, 10:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It is also 3 times more expensive.

@LBM.. is it 5-7 k or is it 5 + 7 = 12K ?
It is 5 k + 7k . For a 800 va model. Will give approx 3-5 hrs backup.
Old 28th February 2008, 11:20   #20
Team-BHP Support

I am very happy with my APC UPS
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...d-service.html
Old 28th February 2008, 20:07   #21
BHPian

like quite a few others been using a APC and its given me no trouble. 2 years and still going strong.
Old 28th February 2008, 22:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Varies on Monitor !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Gosh. Mine, with additional battery pack, tells me (PowerChute software) it will give three hours drawing 155 watts. That's one PC, CRT monitor, ADSL router/modem/wifi, adding a small CFL desk lamp when necessary.
I think yours is giving you a better deal than mine!
I am not technically too sure, but my feeling is; LCD monitor takes very less power. Modem consumption is hardly anything that counts. Remaining is the CPU, HDD and other stuff. Unless you are playing some games using the video card to its full, total consumption of power is less than 130 watts on an average (2 LCD screens, PC, Modem). So chances are getting close to 4 hours back up. Latest unexpected power cuts last over 5 hours in Bangalore North (Due to constructions, road widening, cable repairs and another 101 reasons). So I am still running out of power end of the day !!
Old 28th February 2008, 23:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't run it flat, and don't want to, as that is bad for the batteries, but I don't game, in fact 90% we-browsing.

Looking at the PowerChute monitor software just now, it varied, 155-180 Watts, and a back-up time of 189 minutes.

We tend to get 5-minute cuts, half-hour cuts, two-hour cuts ---and only rarely longer than that.
Old 29th February 2008, 03:47   #24
BANNED

i am microtek user, 2.5 yrs, no issues yet.
but i sold it off with my PC.
So what is a good UPS? APC? does it run on the inverter?? someone told me it can't run on the inverter!!
Old 29th February 2008, 11:09   #25
BHPian

I use sukam UPS, good service , cheap and durable. I was priced around 1790/- two year back, i use it to support Desktop which includes CPU, TFT monitor, ADSL router and speaker. it gives me one hour back up.

Last edited by kamy450 : 29th February 2008 at 11:11.
Old 29th February 2008, 11:53   #26
BHPian

What model is it ?\

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamy450 View Post
I use sukam UPS, good service , cheap and durable. I was priced around 1790/- two year back, i use it to support Desktop which includes CPU, TFT monitor, ADSL router and speaker. it gives me one hour back up.
Old 26th June 2008, 13:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

I am planing for the UPS/Inverter in my home. I have shorlisted the APC HI800SQ. It power 5 lights, 2 fans and 1 TV. backup time for full load is 2 hours. uses 120MH battery. These are the details i got from the sales guys. He quotes 15.5K all inclusive (UPS, Tax, Install, wires etc).
Just checked the reviews in mouthshut and was schoked to see so many people against it. I was assuming that the APC should be a good one. Anyone used this and any good feedback?
i am in dilema if I should go for it or not... Please shed some light.
Old 26th June 2008, 15:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I am planing for the UPS/Inverter in my home. I have shorlisted the APC HI800SQ. It power 5 lights, 2 fans and 1 TV. backup time for full load is 2 hours. uses 120MH battery. These are the details i got from the sales guys. He quotes 15.5K all inclusive (UPS, Tax, Install, wires etc).
Just checked the reviews in mouthshut and was schoked to see so many people against it. I was assuming that the APC should be a good one. Anyone used this and any good feedback?
i am in dilema if I should go for it or not... Please shed some light.
I have been using the same model, APC HI 800 SQ, from May 2006. 2 months back the battery went dead. Luckily it was still under warranty and got it replaced free of cost. The service was also pretty good.
Last year we had a major power failure in our area for almost 24 hours. Used the UPS to the minimum. No TV, laptop or any charging of phones, switching off lights and fans immediately on leaving the room, etc. The battery gave support for 18 hours. YES 18 hours !!
Even I was amazed and happy with the performance. Full paisa vasool !! Would recommend to go for the same.
Old 26th June 2008, 19:06   #29
BANNED

If you are going to buy a UPS, please arm yourselves with a multimeter first.

Check the output voltage when the UPS is on mains, when it is on battery backup AND during crossover. (Simply flip the mains switch to which the UPS is connected).

Mind you - you need check OUTPUT voltages in 3 situations.

Additionally, when the UPS is on battery backup, check the voltage between the (backup) output of the UPS's earth and phase. It should be less than 5V.

I had a 600 VA wipro (WeP) ups, which was causing frequent freezes (the machine was running linux), and finally a hard disk failure. It was finally diagonised to high voltage between the output phase and earth.

Digital multimeters cost only 100 bucks, and it very easy to learn using them.

A TVSe UPS and its battery lasted 7 years for me - the battery was from exide; but both the battery and the UPS failed simultaneously.
Old 10th July 2008, 20:39   #30
BANNED

A search led to this thread. Im looking for an INVERTER + BATTERY setup for home. We have daily power cuts of about 6-8 hrs. There are 2 gen sets, but I want an additional inverter also.
Requirement- 4 fans, 4 tubes , 1T.V, 1 comp.
Narrowed in on Luminous 800 VA. inverter + Exide 150 amp. battery.
Aprox. cost- 4400/- for inverter & 11000 for battery.

Is this a good solution & right price?
Should I go in for sine wave or square wave inverter?

Most Viewed