Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:07   #76
BHPian

It might not be a battery problem as my UPS's Buzzer also sounds kinda weak, anyway they provide unbelievable After sales service,just a call and someone comes homes and takes the current UPS and replaces it with another one.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:00   #77
BHPian

I have been using APC UPS from 2003.In the beginning i got APC backup 500 VA black one with USB connectivity with APC software.It worked great, The day it used to give a backup less than 30 min i used to get it repleaced under warranty.Excellent service.But later once i was not at home and UPS was on charging mode,there was a sudden transformer burst in our colony and and even are house electricity meter got burned.But When i came back home i found MY UPS turned to ashes and all melted and due to its flames even my desktop monitor melted.
But thats one case where power came beyond the limit.I again bought a APC Backup 800 VA this time and it working awesome from more than a year by now with all surge protection and automatic cutoff.
I would strongly recommend APC.
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:24   #78
BANNED

The V-Guard UPS is in the same range as APC. But not famous in North Indya !

V-Guard
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Beware of V guard! they suck!
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:17   #80
Senior - BHPian

if that is the case, better assemble a UPS.I know a guy who assembles UPS for some local brands .
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:29   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^But with the Powercom, the reboot was inevitible! Such UPSs should be named Interrupting Power Supplies!

Whats worth noting was the switch over time mentioned by Powercom is much lower. What is mentioned by APC is significantly higher!! Yet I have not experienced a single reboot with APC. So it seems that even the product specifications given by companies like Powercom are absolute lies.
Bought two brands, one Powercom (1.9K) and the other Liebert Emerson (2.2K) about 3.5 years back. The Liebert conked of within 2 years beyond repair (microcontroller gone). Powercomm still working fine without any roboot ever, though nowadays the back up is less but enough to leisurely switch off. Moreover, IIRC it is one of the biggest international brands.

Previously I had one Kerala made Powersafe 700 VA which I used from 1998 to 2005 with one change of the battery pair, until finally it was killed by lightening.

Last edited by janitha : 2nd June 2009 at 22:35.
Old 3rd June 2009, 00:27   #82
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Just looking at the quality, would any one believe Powercom to be a big or biggest international brand??? Just putting a label there does not make an iota of difference!

Powercom remains one of the worst and most troublesome products I'v used in my life. Absolutely no exaggeration there. You have no idea how many problems their products have created for me.
Old 6th June 2009, 17:59   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Beware of V guard! they suck!
Would you please care to explain ?
Old 6th June 2009, 21:18   #84
Senior - BHPian

there was one ol indian brand. Elnova. They are very good.

I dunno if its still available. I still have in my office which is 9 years old. changed battery thrice.
Old 6th July 2009, 09:25   #85
BANNED

I need a 1.5KV/2KV UPS with external battery support. The backup time needed is 2-3 hrs.

Which brand should I go for ? Budget is about Rs.18,000(battery + UPS)
Old 7th July 2009, 03:50   #86
BHPian

Mithun, Try the following options.
APC
Genus
Su-kam

Iam using APC on PC, and Genus 800w (single battery) pure sine wave for home, sometimes i hook my APC to inverter and use a desktop with fan for 3-4 hours, still it remains quite fine for Fan.
Old 8th July 2009, 21:06   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

I too am currently amazed at APC's service!

My 1500kva runs out of warranty at the end of this month. It has been giving increasingly less backup time of late, so we called them for service. Frankly, I expected them to say that it is normal wear and tear, and we must replace the batteries at our cost; they did not... they replaced the unit!

They did not quite get the message that we have an additional battery pack too, but the technician said to make another service call and they would replace that as well.

Just got a new LCD monitor, which draws much less power than the old CRT: APC's Powerchute software says that the UPS is good for nearly five hours with the currently-connected kit. If I get two hours out of it, once the battery pack has been replaced, I'll be very happy
Old 20th July 2009, 16:56   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hi my proview 700 VA UPS was doing the duty for my home PC since 2003 and in between the PCs were upgraded several times but I never felt the need to touch UPS. But seems it's battery has conked off now , I hear beeps ( similar to when power is out) some times after 1.5 hours of operation even when AC current is on. And sometimes it goes in deep discharge mode and need to be charged for 30 mts before I can start using,

Can someone please advice a good brand of battery for UPS ? Is it worth purchasing a battery or should I buy a new UPS itself ? Approximate costs involved will be helpful.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I belive Base Terminal makes UPS batteries too. Since their auto batteries are supposed to be good, you could try getting a UPS battery from them. They should be priced competitively too.

Haven't used BT UPS batteries myself though. Wait and see if you get any recommendations based on personal usage.

If your UPS is going good and filtering power well, why not leave it be? Just go for a new battery.

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th July 2009 at 18:00.
Old 21st February 2010, 11:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Just got a Luminous "Tez" sinewave inverter of 800VA installed in my flat, the inverter is supported by LET18000 150Ah Luminous tubular battery.

The whole setup including installation came to 12750/-.

The APC unit of 800 VA with amco battery of 150 Ah installed about two years ago in my current house cost me about 14000/- at Metro.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 21st February 2010 at 11:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks