Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 07:03   #46
BHPian

I use APC. I have seen other brands offer more backup time. Mine lasts about 20 mins or so. But Never had power related issues in the past 4 years. Still on the original batt.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:17   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think 'online' usually come in 'small' either.

I wonder why not? My guess would have been that the switching mechanism on the interactive type would have been the most expensive --- but I ignorant of electronics, I probably wouldn't understand the answer <Blush>
Quote:
Mine lasts about 20 mins or so. But Never had power related issues in the past 4 years. Still on the original batt.
You are lucky! When new, my APC 1500va gave me two hours runtime, now it is down to 20-30 minutes. I think it is because I have run the batteries flat several times, which is very bad for lead-acid. It will be my fault and my cost.

However, I do not have any trouble with modem or router restarting on a cut.

I use an old 500va for hifi and laptop. The amplifier restarts every time the AC compressor starts! It is more sensitive than a computer. The fix for this will be to change the wiring so that socket is not on the same phase as the AC, which I will get done one day.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th April 2009 at 13:23.
Old 25th May 2009, 15:13   #48
BHPian

Does anyone know any authorised APC UPS service centre in Indira Nagar / Koramangala area ?
Old 25th May 2009, 19:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Does anyone know any authorised APC UPS service centre in Indira Nagar / Koramangala area ?
For starters:

Justdial: Ups Repairs And Services Apc in Bangalore

A&G Systems, Bangalore Contact: 080 4117 2266 for best price in APC UPS / Inverters, Bangalore.

Hope this is of some use!
Old 26th May 2009, 15:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best would be calling their toll-free helpline!
Old 26th May 2009, 17:11   #51
BHPian

How much power a 21" CRT monitor is going to draw. Where can I get that info without getting into the meters and gadgets (back panel?).
Old 26th May 2009, 17:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

My APC 500VA UPS was dead after a heavy power fluctuation issue.
A week back I bought Numeric 600VA UPS here for Rs 1950/-.It is good going.seems backup is better.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Best would be calling their toll-free helpline!
I called up their toll free a couple of days back. The representative asked me to charge the UPS for 16 hours straight and try. No luck. Looks like the battery is dead.
Now coming to the point, he asked me to call back if the problem still exists and he'd give me details of their representative in indiranagar.
Will call APC today and will let you know of the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
A week back I bought Numeric 600VA UPS here for Rs 1950/-.It is good going.seems backup is better.
Did you try repairing the APC or just went for the replacement? I am hoping the repair cost being too high is not the reason.
Old 26th May 2009, 21:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you try repairing the APC or just went for the replacement? I am hoping the repair cost being too high is not the reason.
Yes.It is the reason.ups was few years old.
Old 27th May 2009, 01:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back up may be better, but I doubt it will filter as well as an APC. I'v had real bad experiences with UPSs (never tried Numeric though). APC seems to be the only decent product in the market. The worst by far is Powercom.

I'v seen some UPSs which boast of long back up times on the box... but in real life, they aren't half that good. And the back up time declines fast. At least my APC delivers what it promises... and is still going great guns.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:54   #56
BHPian

I have good user experience with APC (at office) and Elnova (at home). Both have given me service for close to 7 years with one battery replacement each. The Elnova unit is irritating while giving battery backup because it beeps every 10 seconds.

My father's PC is connected to a Microtek UPS and every time I go near it I feel like . When there is complete power failure it would give nice backup but in case of power fluctuations there will invariably be a reboot. I suppose the switchover time lag is unacceptably high once the voltage goes out of range but mains power is on. I tried to explain my predicament to the service engineers (quacks?) many times but nobody ever tried to understand the problem. Their method of testing: switch off the mains supply; if there is backup then the UPS is fine.The smarter Alecs among them put it this way: "all UPS systems are designed to work in the voltage range of 180-260. If the fluctuations are beyond this range the UPS cannot be faulted." This experience of mine is shared by many of my friends stuck with non-APC/noname brand UPS.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 28th May 2009 at 12:01. Reason: correction
Old 29th May 2009, 15:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes, that was only one of the problems I'd experienced with my DCM Powercom UPS. It used to simply reboot every time there was a power fluctuation! and its not so simple - chances are if you had connected the comp directly to the mains, the reboot might not have happened!! But with the Powercom, the reboot was inevitible! Such UPSs should be named Interrupting Power Supplies!

And btw, mine was replaced countless times... maybe 4 - 6 times. All of the replacements had the same problems... and MANY others!

Whats worth noting was the switch over time mentioned by Powercom is much lower. What is mentioned by APC is significantly higher!! Yet I have not experienced a single reboot with APC. So it seems that even the product specifications given by companies like Powercom are absolute lies.

And the best part of the story is that my SMPS and Memory failed while using Powercom. I'm damn sure the Powercom toasted them! Its better not to use such UPS... just plug in to the power inlet. Your equipment will be safer!!!
Old 29th May 2009, 16:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Is it benefitial to keep a CVT along with UPS to prevent such reboots due to electric fluctuations which UPS cannot handle.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:52   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Yes, that was only one of the problems I'd experienced with my DCM Powercom UPS. It used to simply reboot every time there was a power fluctuation! and its not so simple - chances are if you had connected the comp directly to the mains, the reboot might not have happened!! But with the Powercom, the reboot was inevitible! Such UPSs should be named Interrupting Power Supplies!

And btw, mine was replaced countless times... maybe 4 - 6 times. All of the replacements had the same problems... and MANY others!

Whats worth noting was the switch over time mentioned by Powercom is much lower. What is mentioned by APC is significantly higher!! Yet I have not experienced a single reboot with APC. So it seems that even the product specifications given by companies like Powercom are absolute lies.
+1 to that. I had a similar experience with a local UPS brand. Woud cause the PC to reboot whenever there was a power surge. Tried 2 replacements - same model - all of them had the same issue. And the worst part is; the service engineers never understand this issue (or atleast they pretend not to understand).

Then I got the APC 500VA UPS. After that, I didnt face even a single reboot problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Can somebody suggest a good 'Online UPS' brand.

Preferably on the cheaper side and around 500 va. Please provide some user experience, price and feedback.

My current model APC ES500 va is very unsatisfactory and does not retain my modem connection after switchover probably because it takes a longer time and is 'line interactive'. Anyhow I am completely fed up of it and have decided to shift to 'Online UPS' for stability.

Which brands in Online UPS's should I look out for
If you want to just prevent your modem from rebooting, just adding a high value electrolytic capacitor in parallel with your modem's power supply output (assuming it is a DC adapter) might just do the trick.

Last edited by PaulBarber : 29th May 2009 at 17:01. Reason: Typo
Old 29th May 2009, 17:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it benefitial to keep a CVT along with UPS to prevent such reboots due to electric fluctuations which UPS cannot handle.
And pray tell why one should not just buy a APC instead of doing all that?? A UPS must be able to handle all fluctuations. When the power input is such that it cannot be regulated, it must immediately switch to battery power. Under no circumstance should it allow the comp to reboot. A UPS that cannot do this is not worth using/buying. In fact it should not be called a UPS in the 1st place.

Quote:
And the worst part is; the service engineers never understand this issue (or atleast they pretend not to understand).
You can be damn sure they are pretending! Lol!! And what do you expect them to do anyway, when the product itself is faulty? They cant fix it and they cant admit that the product is faulty, so they have to pretend.

Its not just the local/lesser known brands that are of very bad quality. Even well known names like Microtec, iBall, etc., are producing this defective crap. And I woudn't even place Powercom in this list. Its just beyond compare... in a league of its own. I don't think any maker can surpass this super amazing product even if they try.

Last edited by Raccoon : 29th May 2009 at 17:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks