Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 10:55   #7726
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I can confirm that this is the procedure they use to identify the location the phone was purchased. They use a tool called iLog which provides the info, as well as service history. It also shows the service history linked with the device.
Oh is it ? Till date, i have never seen them doing so. I had some issues with the cable of my Iphone 6, so I went to the service center for getting the same replaced. There, neither did they hook up the phone to anything, nor did they ask me the place of purchase. The technician just checked the serial number of my phone and keyed the same into some software and confirmed that its an Indian purchased phone.
Not sure if different centers have different way of identifying the origin of the devices.

Cheers.

Last edited by Schoudhury : 5th May 2015 at 10:56.
Old 5th May 2015, 11:33   #7727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Oh is it ? Till date, i have never seen them doing so. I had some issues with the cable of my Iphone 6, so I went to the service center for getting the same replaced. There, neither did they hook up the phone to anything, nor did they ask me the place of purchase. The technician just checked the serial number of my phone and keyed the same into some software and confirmed that its an Indian purchased phone.
Not sure if different centers have different way of identifying the origin of the devices.

Cheers.
Actually, i was confirming what you said, whilst providing additional info on how they use the serial number from the phone.
Old 5th May 2015, 11:36   #7728
Team-BHP Support

Yes you can find the country of purchase from Serial number, larger service centers generally checks this before accepting for warranty repairs. Also model number is another give away, different countries sell different models and this does not require any software to figure out since it is on the phone body itself.
Old 5th May 2015, 11:45   #7729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Actually, i was confirming what you said, whilst providing additional info on how they use the serial number from the phone.
my bad, i thought the other way round.

Cheers
Old 5th May 2015, 23:03   #7730
BHPian

The case can always be changed. That's why they will read the serial from firmware using their diagnostic software. They can determine if it is tampered at the os level etc
Old 6th May 2015, 09:45   #7731
BHPian

I am making the shift to an iPhone now. How do you move the contacts from a Windows phone to iPhone ? My Lumia suffers from amnesia from time to time - hence the move. I read that you need to create contacts.vcf which you can import into Apple. My windows phone made one which only it can understand - it appears.

Any pointers ?
Old 6th May 2015, 10:06   #7732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
y windows phone made one which only it can understand - it appears.
Any pointers ?

Does your windows phone sync with gmail? Alternately you can sync with your laptop windows contacts and pick that up with the iPhone when you sync the iphone.
Old 6th May 2015, 11:00   #7733
BHPian

Quote:
I am making the shift to an iPhone now. How do you move the contacts from a Windows phone to iPhone ? My Lumia suffers from amnesia from time to time - hence the move. I read that you need to create contacts.vcf which you can import into Apple. My windows phone made one which only it can understand - it appears.

Any pointers ?

Since you are using a windows live account with the wp, just make sure ur contacts are synced to that account, verify by logging in through the pc and checking contacts. If its synced, just set up the email account on the iphone, and enable contacts sync, all should be done. I made a similar move from android, and used my android gmail account here.
Old 6th May 2015, 11:29   #7734
BHPian

1. I have got my iphone 5 (approx. 2.5 years old) screen damaged last week. The touch is working extremely fine as before, though the display glass is shattered. Kindly suggest approximate repair cost and workshop in NCR (Delhi/Gurgaon).

2. Since I have upgraded to IOS8, I am not able to play video from apps like YouTube or NDTV when I am on wifi network. Can anyone shed some light on the troubleshooting?
Old 6th May 2015, 14:37   #7735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am making the shift to an iPhone now. How do you move the contacts from a Windows phone to iPhone
Just add the windows live mail account in iPhone and all your contacts will show up there (assuming you were maintaining all your contacts in the hotmail/outlook account).
Old 6th May 2015, 15:24   #7736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just add the windows live mail account in iPhone and all your contacts will show up there (assuming you were maintaining all your contacts in the hotmail/outlook account).
Thanks VB-SAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Since you are using a windows live account with the wp, just make sure ur contacts are synced to that account, verify by logging in through the pc and checking contacts.
Thanks k.karan

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Does your windows phone sync with gmail? Alternately you can sync with your laptop windows contacts and pick that up with the iPhone when you sync the iphone.
Thanks DIYguy. Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I 'repaired' the contacts.vcf the Windows Phone churned out from an external application. Then I imported the CSV file into a Excel sheet and then from there edited the contacts list. Then through another application saved the edited csv file as contacts.vcf . Now I imported this file into my iCloud - phew!

I am waiting for my nano sim to be activated so that I can sync with the icloud. I never knew you have to jump through so many hoops to move to another mobile OS.
Old 11th May 2015, 07:24   #7737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Hello All,

I need some advise

Dropped by 3 year old iPhone 4S and now the touch does not work like it used to. The screens also has some black areas now. Even clicking on an icon does not open the app, something wrong with the sensitivity of the touch

I went to the Apple Service folks and they mentioned that the display cannot be changed on an iPhone and the only thing they could have done (if the phone was purchased in India and was under warranty - both cases are not true for me) was to replace my phone after I paid Rs 12000/-

I called a shop right opposite the Apple Service Center (Delhi Electronics). They said that they can change the display for Rs 3500/- and it would be an OEM part. I don't trust them on the display being OEM

Questions-
1> Would changing the screen help me here?
2> Does Rs 3500/- sound fair?
3> How do I check if the display is orginal
4> Anything I am missing?
5> I don't want to buy another phone right now... any other option? or repair shop in Gurgaon?
This Saturday I got my iPhone 4s screen replaced from Delhi Electronic - South Point Mall - Gurgaon
Total Damage: Rs 3300/- (was expecting this since everyone here also agreed that the cost will be anywhere less than 5k)
The phone was repaired in less than 1 hr
No issues till now
Old 17th May 2015, 10:53   #7738
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some suggestion here. I have been using a transparent cover for my IP6. After 5.5 months of usage I see several spots on the back surface of the phone. Please suggest me few good cases which wont leave permanent spots on the phone. I have checked out original Apple leather cases and I really liked it. It has a nice soft surface to protect the back of the phone but it costs INR 3400. Is it worth buying? Do these original cases last long? Please let me know if there are better alternatives.

P.S: I am looking to keep my phone for a very long time and am trying to keep it looking new as much as possible.
Old 17th May 2015, 11:34   #7739
BHPian

[quote=Pancham;3708677]After 5.5 months of usage I see several spots on the back surface of the phone. /QUOTE]

I assume you have a scratch guard film or tempered glass for the front of your phone? Why haven't you got one for the back too? I got the tempered glass done for my friends ip6 5.5 and a scratch film for the back. I have got tempered glass for my phone 6 front as well as back. You may want to check that out as an option.
Old 17th May 2015, 12:02   #7740
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

[quote=diyguy;3708695]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
After 5.5 months of usage I see several spots on the back surface of the phone. /QUOTE]

I assume you have a scratch guard film or tempered glass for the front of your phone? Why haven't you got one for the back too? I got the tempered glass done for my friends ip6 5.5 and a scratch film for the back. I have got tempered glass for my phone 6 front as well as back. You may want to check that out as an option.

Because I felt the scratch film won't look nice on IP6 since it has a different finish compared to IP5/5C. Hence.
PS: the Matt finish feels really good in hand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks