Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:24   #766
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Inverter Batteries

SMF batteries are not designed for deep discharge and fast charge.Its capacity will be halved by just discharging a couple of times to 80% depth of charge.

SMF are fine for UPS where it needs to be concealed inside and also the fact that UPS only needs to provide back up for a few minutes.

A flooded tubular battery can charge/discharge upto 1000+ times at 80 % depth of discharge.Where as a SMF won't even last 50 times at 80% depth of discharge.

There is a reason why typically manufactures only give 6 months to 1 year warranty on SMF and as high as 5 years for a Tubular battery.

Last edited by aim120 : 22nd February 2014 at 23:29.
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:35   #767
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Where as a SMF won't even last 50 times at 80% depth of discharge.
That was my experience with an Exide SMF Battery which I bought in 2005. It hardly lasted for a year or so with an Inverter. Hence my next battery wasn't an SMF. It was an Exide maintenance one (but not tubular). Lasted for 3 odd years. But Khoj said that SMF technology has changed a lot & you have SMF batteries which can work with inverters for 4+ years & hence I was looking for an SMF Battery. But there is nothing in the market which promises more than 2 years.

Anyway, looks like I may not have to buy a new battery. My Amaron which got screwed was still under the 2 year warranty & the shop keeper said that it's highly likely I will get a replacement from Amaron.

Last edited by carboy : 22nd February 2014 at 23:37.
Old 23rd February 2014, 00:54   #768
BANNED

What ever the SMF battery sold in india including the state of the art exide XHD range are still inferior to the Flooder Tubular batteries.
While the new XHD range may be better then a flat plate flooded battery(it better be considering the price), it still can't quite match the Flooded Tubular battery.

Last edited by aim120 : 23rd February 2014 at 00:56.
Old 23rd February 2014, 08:22   #769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
What ever the SMF battery sold in india including the state of the art exide XHD range are still inferior to the Flooder Tubular batteries.
While the new XHD range may be better then a flat plate flooded battery(it better be considering the price), it still can't quite match the Flooded Tubular battery.
How many years will the Exide XHD range last with an inverter? I am Ok with a lesser life and more price for an SMF as long as it atleast lasts 3.5 years or more.
Old 23rd February 2014, 09:21   #770
BHPian

For those guys looking for a SMF battery, you can also try out the exide solatron battery, made for deep discharge and comes with a 5 year warranty.I use it for solar applications especially with solar pcu's(inverters).

Last edited by richie4u : 23rd February 2014 at 09:24.
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:47   #771
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for this information, please share the price details too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
For those guys looking for a SMF battery, you can also try out the exide solatron battery, made for deep discharge and comes with a 5 year warranty.I use it for solar applications especially with solar pcu's(inverters).
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:04   #772
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How many years will the Exide XHD range last with an inverter? I am Ok with a lesser life and more price for an SMF as long as it atleast lasts 3.5 years or more.
It should last 3 years(or even 4 years if used mildly),but if you repeatedly discharge it to 80% then it probably go a bit sooner.
A Flooder Tubular battery on the other hand last as high as 7 years or so.

Last edited by aim120 : 23rd February 2014 at 21:06.
Old 13th April 2014, 07:23   #773
BHPian

Did a quick comparison of batteries available, warranty & indicative pricing (Bangalore prices) for a friend. Thought of sharing it here for everyone's benefit.
Attached Files
File Type: xls battery_info.xls (30.0 KB, 1178 views)
Old 19th April 2014, 16:20   #774
BHPian

I'm planning to move my inverter and the exide IT 500 tubular batteries to my hometown. Would someone know how exactly to handle the batteries during transport? Do we drain the battery and then transport them dry? Can someone please advise?
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:37   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
I'm planning to move my inverter and the exide IT 500 tubular batteries to my hometown. Would someone know how exactly to handle the batteries during transport? Do we drain the battery and then transport them dry? Can someone please advise?
No special attention is required. Just make sure that the terminals are covered with insulation materials, and the cell caps are tight. Unless the battery is jerked around a lot, the acid normally does not spill out.

In case you expect the batteries to be manhandled on route, then please drain the acid. On whether to mix acid from all cells into one container or keep them separate, just ask the local battery dealer.
Old 24th April 2014, 16:41   #776
BHPian

Does anyone on the forum have experience with the industrial 2 volt transparent batteries.

Are they built to a higher standard than the regular tubular batteries we use?
Old 24th April 2014, 17:32   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
... industrial 2 volt transparent batteries. ... Are they built to a higher standard than the regular tubular batteries we use?
Yes, they are built better, with better (and in some cases, innovative) materials. That is the reason they are costlier. Though the higher initial investment is a deterrent for home use, the design life is 15-20 years (at 20C, consistent deep cycle usage like in Solar energy applications). Another deterrent is the additional cost for bus bars to put a set of batteries together to get 12/24V for a domestic inverter.
Old 25th April 2014, 10:38   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Does anyone on the forum have experience with the industrial 2 volt transparent batteries.

Are they built to a higher standard than the regular tubular batteries we use?
Yes they are much better and last a long time. They do require a bit more maintenance and a better battery charger charger. One thing to note is that at one time every telephone exchanged used banks of these 2V batteries and they lasted well beyond 30 years.

To use them -
. Have a sturdy platform with clamps to hold them
. Invest in a charger which will conform to their charging requirement - main charge, float charge and float voltage
. Check the water level at least once a month
. Keep them in a cool well ventilated area.
Old 25th April 2014, 15:00   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
To use them -
. Have a sturdy platform with clamps to hold them
. Invest in a charger which will conform to their charging requirement - main charge, float charge and float voltage
. Check the water level at least once a month
. Keep them in a cool well ventilated area.
I guess the apc office UPS systems will be a good fit for this kind of setup. They are not much more expensive than standard tubular batteries. In fact I think they add up to greater ah capacity for similar cost.
Old 7th May 2014, 13:09   #780
BHPian

Whats the difference between Tall tubular & regular size tubular batteries in terms of life & backup capabilities..

I am looking for a new battery since my AMARON died last week. Power situation is not bleak in my area with minor power cuts 4-5 times a week for ~20-30 mins at the most.

Sometimes during routine maintenance power goes off for 6-7 years but this generally happens 3-4 times a year only...

Which battery is recommended...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks