Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 08:43   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Recently replaced the 4.5 yrs old SF Sonic 150AH battery being used for Inverter at my place. The cost of new battery came to Rs 9K in exchange for the old battery.

On similar lines, got a Microtek Inverter USPEB 900 and SF Sonic battery 150AH recently installed at my parents place for a total cost of Rs 16.5K. The Inverter and the battery come with 2 yrs warranty, no pro rata and at all.
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:36   #812
Senior - BHPian

Don't go for any Shiny-Finy-Falcon-Salmon. They are best suited for 850 va type applications and will begin to fumble when connected to 40 LED/Plasma type load.

For reliable performance, go for Numeric Digital HPH HR series of heavy duty inverters

OR

APC (any make)

OR

If you are insistent on Sukam, then go for fusion series. 2.2 KVA or 3.5 KVA.

these are reliable models in Indian market at moment.
Old 13th March 2015, 10:26   #813
BHPian

Kindly excuse if this might not be the right thread. I'm looking for purchasing a clamp type digital multi-meter that could measure a minimum of 100A, both AC/DC. Can anyone recommend me a good and a safe one?
Old 13th March 2015, 12:37   #814
Senior - BHPian

The answer is in your post itself, no? Shiny being sine wave (read squared sine wave) & Falcon being "Pure" sine wave.

Sukam does have childish names for their products but the quality is quite mature.

I have been using a 'Smily' pure sine wave 1400 VA inverter for nearly 6 years now. Have a couple of panels connected & running without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
I couldn't figure out the difference between Sukam Shiny and Falcon. From the Sukam site its clearly does not mention if Shiny is PURE sine wave it just says Sine wave. Falcon is mentioned as pure sine wave. I want to run my 40" LED TV and couple of computers at home. So I need something which is pure sine wave.

But all the sellers put Shiny as Pure sine wave. I checked many sellers online and offline.

Could anyone throw some 'light' on this ?

\\hkp
Old 13th March 2015, 18:59   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Kindly excuse if this might not be the right thread. I'm looking for purchasing a clamp type digital multi-meter that could measure a minimum of 100A, both AC/DC. Can anyone recommend me a good and a safe one?
As far as I know, most of the Clamp Type meters are AC only. The only DC ones are based on Hall Effect and are quite expensive (used those with Oscilloscopes a long time ago)
Old 13th March 2015, 19:24   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as I know, most of the Clamp Type meters are AC only. The only DC ones are based on Hall Effect and are quite expensive (used those with Oscilloscopes a long time ago)
Can you recommend me a good one?
Old 14th March 2015, 09:01   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I use a Fluke 374 AC/DC clamp meter along with Fluke DVMs. Fluke makes some of the best measuring devices & test equipment. AC/DC clamp meters are more expensive. But you might as well get an AC/DC model to measure both types of current flow.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/prod...(FlukeProducts)

Choose as per your budget:

http://www.snapdeal.com/search?keywo...D=&dealDetail=

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th March 2015 at 09:03.
Old 14th March 2015, 11:50   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post

I met a battery shop fellow he claims that locally made tubular battery can last up-to 7-10 years, the down side is that distilled water needs to be added to cells every quarter.
I recently replaced inverter at my home with an Exide 850VA inverter with Exide 150 AH Invamaster IM10000 Tubular battery . Total cost minus the old battery is 17200/-.
Why i am quoting a 5year old post is that the replaced battery was of a local Trivandrum make -JAS- 100 AH - Purchased in Aug 2006 I replaced unwillingly because the back up became very poor. I was also filling distilled water religiously every 3 months.
Now seeing the above post and having replaced with a branded Exide battery, I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 14th March 2015, 13:28   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Now seeing the above post and having replaced with a branded Exide battery, I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Been using Exide for several years in cars (decades) and for the inverter since 2010.

While the quality of car batteries has dipped a bit and I have now shifted to Amaron as a trial, luckily the far more expensive 2 x 200AH tubular batteries run well without any issues.

Just keep the distilled water topped up. Check every 2-3 months especially during hot weather and when there are frequent blackouts. Also make sure your inverter's charge voltage and amps are according to recommendations. Normally bulk charging current is at approx. 5-10% of capacity in AH. Float voltage is about 13.8-14.4V (+/- 0.2 V). Read the warranty booklet that comes with the battery. Charging specs are normally specified therein.

If inverter voltages are out of spec get it rectified by the inverter manufacturer. That's critical because the life of the battery depends on the charging voltage/current among other things.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th March 2015 at 13:32.
Old 16th March 2015, 17:37   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I use a Fluke 374 AC/DC clamp meter along with Fluke DVMs. Fluke makes some of the best measuring devices & test equipment. AC/DC clamp meters are more expensive. But you might as well get an AC/DC model to measure both types of current flow.

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/prod...(FlukeProducts)

Choose as per your budget:

http://www.snapdeal.com/search?keywo...D=&dealDetail=
As you can see the AC/DC meter is quite expensive.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/fluk...0clamp%20meter
Old 16th March 2015, 19:37   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As you can see the AC/DC meter is quite expensive.
That's why I suggested the OP should 'Choose as per your budget'

Fluke instruments are expensive but they are probably the last clamp or DV meters you would need to buy for a very long time.

There are less expensive Indian and Chinese brands like Mastech, Meco, Sanwa etc. But when it comes to electricity I prefer not to take risks and buy a product that's built to international safety standards.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th March 2015 at 19:38.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:14   #822
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I need to get an inverter for running 1 tube light (36W) 2 all out mosquito repellant machines ( 2 *10 watts i think ) 2 medium size Ceiling fans ( 50*2 watts i think ) for around 5-6 hours backup ( max ).

I will have to place the inverter in the living room ( no other place available ) where a very active toddler keeps playing. So i have no choice but to get SMF batteries.

I was initially thinking of

a) Exide it500GEL with a exide 850 va inverter.

But the exide bettery spec sheet mentions its weight as 60KG.
This will make the battery unwieldy to handle.

So instead i am thing of

b) Two 65ah AMARON Quanta batteries with a 850 SU-Kam inverter. I will connect the two batteries in parallel. Each battery is 20 kg so will be much easier to lug around if the need arises.

What say ?

Last edited by JediKnight : 24th March 2015 at 12:15.
Old 24th March 2015, 21:03   #823
Senior - BHPian

Just take into account the capacity calculations.
. The capacity in AH is for 10 or 20 hours discharge. For shorter duration you have to derate accordingly.
. The rated capacity is generally at 25 degrees centigrade. At 40 degrees the capacity will be at the most 60%.
. The inverter efficiency is between 80-90%, take that into account.

So in general for Indian Summer conditions and 5 hour capacity, the capacity in AH will be at least 2 times that calculated based on load.

If your requirement is 2xfans + 2xlights(CFL/LED), the total load will be around 150W. For 5 hours that gives 750W-H, with derating 1500W-H. with 12V battery that is around 120AH.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:52   #824
Senior - BHPian

The battery electrolyte indicator stalk broke. Can i use 5 rupee Anabond/fewi qwik to fix it?

Will the dried adhesive react in/with the electrolyte?
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Batteries-images.jpeg  

Old 15th April 2015, 13:09   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The battery electrolyte indicator stalk broke. Can i use 5 rupee Anabond/fewi qwik to fix it?

Will the dried adhesive react in/with the electrolyte?
Don't. Better buy a new one from a battery shop - doesn't cost much. Sticking it back might contaminate the electrolyte and reduce life of that cell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks