Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 13:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
SchumiFan.. Which brand is your home ups. The exide EL+ series needs good charging according exide since they are providing 5 years warranty unlike Exide IT500, which has 4 years warranty.

You can contact your dealer, or better still the manufacturer, to know about the charging, you have to see if your ups has trickle, float charging etc. or else go with IT500

Otherwise there is no problem in charging your battery with your ups
Raccoon.. I recommend you use the exide EL series battery (for ups and inverter, not bikes ), your opinion will change.

PS: I am in no way, even remotely, related to exide
Just contacted the dealer and he says there is no problem with charging IT500 Tubular Battery though our MicroTek Non Sinewave 850VA EB series Home UPS

Going to take the Exide one mainly because of the warranty on offer.

I have a doubt here since the Exide website tells that IT500 has got only 30 months warranty.

Are you sure of the figures? But I must say that the figures mentioned by you (Rs14.5K and 4 years warranty) was the backed up by the dealer.

Is the website out-dated or have they actually increased the warranty period?

Thanks much to all who offered their inputs to help me with a decision.
Old 10th September 2010, 14:19   #167
BHPian

Quote:
They are not maintenance free, you will have to fill water once in 3 months. Well if the room is 10 x 12 there wont be any problem, unless you have no windows. Or like Aroy says, shift it to the meter room if feasiable.
My living room is 10x20 but not well ventilated.
Can we classify Tubular and MaintFree batteries as per the fumes they exhaust? Like, can we say MaintFree ones emit less and Tubular ones emit more gases?
Old 10th September 2010, 15:58   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raccoon.. I recommend you use the exide EL series battery (for ups and inverter, not bikes ), your opinion will change.

PS: I am in no way, even remotely, related to exide
Hehe... just that name makes me fume, and reminds me of all the damage their batteries have done and the hassle I'v gone thru. I'd prefer not even coming close to them, or let my cars or bikes come close to them, thanks.

After doing all that to my rides, gawd knows what they will do to my house...
Old 12th September 2010, 14:16   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
My living room is 10x20 but not well ventilated.
Can we classify Tubular and MaintFree batteries as per the fumes they exhaust? Like, can we say MaintFree ones emit less and Tubular ones emit more gases?
As far as I recollect batteries are either sealed, in which case there are no/little fumes, or not sealed and they emit fumes.

This document is a good primer for those who are interested in sizing. http://www.quanta.in/images/pdf/Quan...%20Booklet.pdf

This document is on battery room ventilation and associate risk of explosion. http://www.cholarisk.com/Files/Risk%...ry%20Rooms.pdf
Though this describes industrial environment, the facts hold for residential environment. What is disturbing is that the publication claims that SMF batteries also emit fumes and on top of that are supposed to operate at 30 degrees or less. I guess that for computer UPS which are generally small and kept in AC environment this should not matter. But for larger installations the fumes & temparature of SMF may create problems.
Old 13th September 2010, 21:24   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dont use home made water. use battery water only. If during the service they have filled the water to top and now you are seeing less water, then there might be some problem with the inverter charging. is the battery hot to touch. if the battery is overcharged the water gets dried up quickly. you fill water in all cells and check after some days. If the problem persists check the inverter since your batter is out of warranty

Well, the battery cover looks wavy

And I had to bypass charging line so that I can get the lights on. If I put in charging mode (Inverter plugged to mains), lights dnt come on! Does this mean Inverter is kaput?
Old 14th September 2010, 09:10   #171
BHPian

Hi Jkdas.. If you have a white case battery and like you said it looks wavy, in battery term it is called a "bulged battery." The main cause of this is overcharging.

I did not get what you meant by "bypass charging line" Is it the AC mains bypass switch on the back of the inverter. If it is yes, then either the battery is not providing enough volt for the changeover relay to work, or the system is not charging the battery, or there is overcharging and no water in the battery to hold charge.

I think your system is overcharging and there is no water in the battery since you have a bulged battery. The inverter can be fixed with a small amount, but I fear your battery might be dead by this time. Get it checked with a technician. Is your inverter local made ?
Old 14th September 2010, 15:25   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This document is on battery room ventilation and associate risk of explosion. http://www.cholarisk.com/Files/Risk%...ry%20Rooms.pdf
Thanks for sharing those DOCs, Aroy.
This DOC says "Sealed Maint free batteries also liberate Hydrogen gas (but lesser than conventional batteries). Hence SMF battery room risks should also be treated in the same manner as that of rooms with conv. batteries".

So, I see no advantage with these SMF batteries:
- They cost app. 2000/- more for same rating
- Lesser lifespan - 2 years while tubular batt will last 5 years min.
- No warranty - if at all given, max 1 year.
- They also emit gases.

Only adv is that no need for top-up. But I don't mind spending a meagre amount for distilled water and 10 minutes every month.

Experts' opinions please !!

Last edited by ch.nathan : 14th September 2010 at 15:39.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:36   #173
Senior - BHPian

You have answered your own query, for durability and longer power outage scenarios go for Tubular batteries.
Even local made tubular last quite long I have been using a tubular for nearly 4 years now. The battery require very less top ups (even though its is non branded) I last topped up in January 10 , till not it does not require any topping up.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jkdas.. If you have a white case battery and like you said it looks wavy, in battery term it is called a "bulged battery." The main cause of this is overcharging.

I did not get what you meant by "bypass charging line" Is it the AC mains bypass switch on the back of the inverter. If it is yes, then either the battery is not providing enough volt for the changeover relay to work, or the system is not charging the battery, or there is overcharging and no water in the battery to hold charge.

I think your system is overcharging and there is no water in the battery since you have a bulged battery. The inverter can be fixed with a small amount, but I fear your battery might be dead by this time. Get it checked with a technician. Is your inverter local made ?
APC guy came and checked.Confirmed that inverter is good.

Said I need to changed battery and said to get Presto/Amco and some other brand. Amco 120Ah will cost only 9XXX and hence thinking of that.

I use Presto now.
Old 18th September 2010, 15:00   #175
Senior - BHPian

Got the Exide IT500 with 4 years warranty. It is doing good for the past two weeks and checking the water level is also easy, thanks to the float.

Hope to reduce my EB bills since this takes very little time to charge as it is a new battery
Old 18th September 2010, 18:14   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Said I need to changed battery and said to get Presto/Amco and some other brand. Amco 120Ah will cost only 9XXX and hence thinking of that.
Make sure the model starts with "T" tubular. I think a 150 ah amco cost around 14000. The price has gone up in the last 2 weeks, dont know the current price.

The battery usually bulge due to overcharging. After getting the new battery check if it becomes hot after one or two days, just to make sure the charging is correct. If there is overcharging, the battery will become hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Got the Exide IT500 with 4 years warranty. It is doing good for the past two weeks and checking the water level is also easy, thanks to the float.

Hope to reduce my EB bills since this takes very little time to charge as it is a new battery
Current bill depends on the usage. Usually if the battery is fully discharged, it takes about the same current as a 100 W bulb takes, for charging. And the battery is fully charged in about 8 hours (after being fully discharged). The water in IT 500 will last a long time. It does not need filling up to one year, but then it is safe to check the water every 5 months, just as a precaution.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:18   #177
BHPian

Hey Chipz,

After checking with many dealers, I have narrowed down to the following setup:
Luminous 800VA SineWave Inv & 150AH Tubuler Bty = Rs.16500/-.

Is it a good deal? Can I negotiate further? (Remember my budget was Rs.15500/-).
Old 18th September 2010, 18:25   #178
BHPian

Which is the brand of battery. Go for exide or amco tubular.

But the 150 ah tubular battery itself cost around 14k..Or else you can go for 120 ah tubular. IT will fit your budget

make sure it is tubular... not semitubular or inverter battery

Last edited by Chipz : 18th September 2010 at 18:34.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:52   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Which is the brand of battery. Go for exide or amco tubular.

But the 150 ah tubular battery itself cost around 14k..Or else you can go for 120 ah tubular. IT will fit your budget

make sure it is tubular... not semitubular or inverter battery

Battery also is Luminous. The dealer said it's Tubular. I will check again.
Old 18th September 2010, 22:26   #180
BHPian

First check how much warranty you are getting for the battery. The above said exide and amco have a warranty of 4 years. If you are getting 2 years warranty for the 150 ah luminous, i suggest you better go for exide or amco 120 ah for better peace of mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks