Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 21:49   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Sam Bhai, I have had a very painful ordeal with SBI wrt a house loan, would you please ghost write a blog for me?
Come on - I won't write it for you, but I'll help you write it. You know my email address, my first name at team-bhp.com, write something.

Come on it will be great fun if you'd like to.
Old 27th June 2008, 22:12   #122
BHPian

:(

Oops! That was some experience ! Just curious, don't you guys have Airtel in Mumbai?

Here @ BLR, I am charged 999+ taxes for Unlimited Package. Again, paid by my company
Old 27th June 2008, 22:41   #123
BHPian

Thats some real good writing by sameerji.. keep it coming !!

Btw, sameerji - i have an idea - if you get the same bill ( for Rs.14000 ) in the next month, take TheOne® with you to MTNL office. Now that, would be some experience for her i say !

Last edited by hkanitkar : 27th June 2008 at 22:42. Reason: forgot to put ® :-)
Old 27th June 2008, 23:35   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam... That was almost as good as Europe.

If only we could have had photographs too! I'm sure you could have captured the eerie emptiness of those offices and those old machines perfectly.

Had one experience with BSNL changing the plan, and getting the refund of the unused part of the existing year-in-advance wrong. Took it to the head of accounts to get sorted out, and she not only did so, but sent out for tea for us while she did!

Only thing was, she asked my wife to call her assistant to the office, saying, "can you pronounce Tamil names?". Now she is fair, yes, and married to a foreigner, of course, but she has never been taken for one in her own country before!!!

Odd isn't it; there seem to be only two grades of people one ever deals with in these organisations: the front-desk prole, and the head of the department. I wonder what everybody else does? And how the 'head' ever manages to fond time when they are not talking to the public.

It does seem that, in these govt organisations, eventually one can find someone who can and will fix a problem. In the private ones, it seems that there often is actually no such person. A friend of mine said that there are plenty of ads for sales jobs, but you don't see many for after-sales.

We have, by the way, the world's fifth most expensive 'broadband' --- properly renamed on a techie forum that I read, Fraudband!
Old 28th June 2008, 00:35   #125
BHPian

Hi Sam better call them up or go to the exchange and get the plan changed in your account or the same thing will repeat again,had a somewhat similiar problem.
Old 28th June 2008, 01:36   #126
Team-BHP Support

Sam, I don't believe you are sticking to MTNL still!
Old 28th June 2008, 04:05   #127
BHPian

Good to know that your problem was solved.Anyway Sameer we are eagerly waiting for your birthday blog.
Old 28th June 2008, 04:10   #128
ECM
BHPian

In just 3 lines you have picturised a real scene of our govt.Jai ho ye slogans ki-> Mera Bharat Mahan-India shining-Bharat Uday.
Quote:
Chup re chavan, the other guy says, linesman nahi chaihiye. Yeh computer ka problem hai.
Oh, says chavan. Ready to spit any moment.
Old 28th June 2008, 07:40   #129
BHPian

Sam, you made me think of the Dolphin catchline, albeit with a difference...

"Mumbai mein Broadband hona Aam Baat Hai,
Mumbai ka Broadband hona Khaas Baat Hai."

Whoever wrote that irritating crashline... GRrrrrr
Old 28th June 2008, 10:29   #130
Senior - BHPian

good story sam

I spent more than a hour in the bathroom in the morning reading this blog in my cell phone. Definitely raising questions in everyone's mind!!!! till they saw my cell phone in my hand.
lol
Old 28th June 2008, 10:52   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sam... That was almost as good as Europe.

If only we could have had photographs too! I'm sure you could have captured the eerie emptiness of those offices and those old machines perfectly.
oh, no no, photography strictly no no at gov offices. otherwise sam would have been in trouble.
Old 28th June 2008, 12:43   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Thank you for enjoying my story and I hope you learn something from it. I would be happy to help if someone has any similar trouble.
My son and I share a Triband connection at home. We have never reset the modem. in fact were were advised not to by the MTNL guy who installed it. Apparently if we do he will have to reset the unsername and password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And guess what? It STILL shows me as a plan 399/- subscriber. Just imagine if I get the same bill next month?! lol
This is another thng the guy who gave us the modem told us. "As long as you do not change the account you will be ok". So I figured if we need to change the account we will first get a new account on our second phone line, then when that is tested and working we will surrender the old account and modem.

If any of you think I am nuts, well think about all the trouble Sam had.
Old 28th June 2008, 12:52   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My son and I share a Triband connection at home. We have never reset the modem. in fact were were advised not to by the MTNL guy who installed it. Apparently if we do he will have to reset the unsername and password.
Navinji, reset is different to switch off and switch on. If you reset the modem you will lose all settings.

Switching off and on will only erase the cache memory whereas a reset will erase the ROM as well.
Old 28th June 2008, 13:22   #134
Team-BHP Support

Just curious but what will happen if a power cut is longer than what your UPS can sustain?

Will the Modem not get a hard reset. Does it mean that all settings are lost?
Old 28th June 2008, 13:32   #135
BHPian

hi bblost
Switching off the modem will not make any difference, there is memory within the modem, if you switch it off the programmed settings (ppoe & username etc settings) will not be deleted. So the question of the UPS not sustaining the modem does not arise if the power goes off completely.

Secondly a 'reset' (a pin push button at the rear of the modem) will erase all user settings and bring the modem to a factory default. I.e. will not function as all the connectivity settings have been erased due to the 'reset' (actually it is reset to factory settings).

Cheers
MMM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks