Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 14:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

any one saw cell guru episode day before on a news channel. They were showing some very good phones!
Old 17th March 2010, 15:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

PS : Many sites belive that LCD is not AMOLED but TFT LCD but don't believe what is printed on box it is indeed an AMOLED probably it is biggest marketing goof up.
Ok A correction here the i5700 Galaxy Spica is indeed TFT , Actually hardware I saw with AMOLED is some thing else which cant be revealed at this point.

But surely you will get an Eclairs upgrade for Spica ( i5700) and the upgrade would include capability to run applications from SD card.

i7500 Galaxy will not get Eclairs upgrade due to hardware limiations.

The real reason why i5700 is cheap is because is uses Samsungs own SOC instead of Qualcomm MSM7200A as in case of Galaxy ( i7500).
Old 17th March 2010, 15:40   #33
Team-BHP Support

The thing I like about android platform is that its more open. Iphone may be the in thing, something to flaunt, but you are limited by what apple wants on their phone. Even when owning the phone, you don't really own it. I know there is jailbreaking etc., etc., but out of the box, its restrictive.
the funny thing is that even Windows mobile is more open!
I hope the initial chinks get ironed out, and android gains more traction, and we start getting some reliable devices. Developers will come as the platform gets more popular!
Old 17th March 2010, 15:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

How mature is Android? See the chatter on RIMweb.in :: Reliance Mobile ( CDMA & GSM ) Discussion Forums. It is rtue these are 'cracked' handsets, but still leaves a taste that the OS is not fully stable. In the long term Android looks like the way to go.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

I was there in CeBit 2010 in Hannovar well CeBit is not a mobile only event like MWC Barcelona but still important things to note are

1. There was a huge high decible noise from MS for Windows Phone ( new name of windows Mobile 7)
2. There was no apple or google stall but all the B2B application vendors had their clients for Android and iPhone.

3. There were dozens of cheap Chinese and Taiwanese phones / netbooks / UMPCs with Android.

So this surely shows Android has taken off very well , One technical limitation of Android is that it can not have multiple apps running on same screen this is due to the UI framework design they chose instead of going X11 / Tiny-X client server based or DirectFb Google SKIA was used which can not have multiple simultaneous UIs running which is a must for Netbook. AFAIK this is set to change in next version of Android

Also Dalvik VM is not very optimized my own tests confirm that Dalvik is about 100 times slower then J2ME VMs running on ARM processor.
In MWC there were many vendors showcasing optimized Java VM for Android and soon vendors will abopt them to give better performance.

Now I am a stakeholder in another Linux based phone platform which is not google Android so it pains to see Android marching ahead :-P
Old 17th March 2010, 16:45   #36
Team-BHP Support

Hmm amit, are you talking about Linux based phones from motorola? In that case I share you pain. I would love to own a proper linux phone which could allow me to do ssh session, run a small tiny server etc., etc.,
Old 17th March 2010, 16:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hmm amit, are you talking about Linux based phones from motorola? In that case I share you pain. I would love to own a proper linux phone which could allow me to do ssh session, run a small tiny server etc., etc.,
No No I work in Samsung and we do have a Linux Handset platform ( see samsung H1 or Vodafone 360 ) the first and only commercialization till now in public.

But it has more to do with community building and attracting developers Motorola could not do it and finencial problems forced them to abondon their LJ platform and we have same issues but fortunately Samsung is robust financially .

Yes at one point I worked in Motorola as well but long before LJ was even born
Old 17th March 2010, 17:57   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
No No I work in Samsung and we do have a Linux Handset platform ( see samsung H1 or Vodafone 360 ) the first and only commercialization till now in public.

But it has more to do with community building and attracting developers Motorola could not do it and finencial problems forced them to abondon their LJ platform and we have same issues but fortunately Samsung is robust financially .

Yes at one point I worked in Motorola as well but long before LJ was even born
Guess in cebit you must have seen early version of eclair that comes on NexusOne.

Expect the next android launch (few weeks from now?) to have much more powerful DVM, and lot more goodies. Has anyone tried the live wallpapers on Nexusone?.

Samsung too is going big way to android with 3-4 launches already in market!
Mot is betting its future on android. HTC has seen its sales grow many folds due to its early adoption of android and close collaboration with google.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Guess in cebit you must have seen early version of eclair that comes on NexusOne.
No I have seen it in house from other teams. You will get Eclairs for Galaxy Spica i5700 next month.

CeBit is more about the trends and new product concepts in Electronics Industry.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:12   #40
Team-BHP Support

That is the reason Apple has sued HTC (Proxy for Google), as they eating heavily into their market.
Android is the platform for high end phone for the masses !

Last edited by ampere : 17th March 2010 at 19:15.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:17   #41
BHPian

Is it a good choice to buy the google nexus one now? I am kind of in a dilemma to choose between nexus one and iphone 3gs as i feel android is still in its early days..
Old 17th March 2010, 19:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is the reason Apple has sued HTC (Proxy for Google), as they eating heavily into their market.
Android is the platform for high end phone for the masses !
Well keeping Apple Fanboyism and jazzy UI aside OS wise there is very little to cheer about in iPhone.

Yes apple had a cult following in USA and that made iPhone possible.

I am not saying Android is best the Dalvik VM sucks but it is lot better then iPhone anyway. Its the business model of Appstore which pulled out Apple from the abyss.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Is it a good choice to buy the google nexus one now? I am kind of in a dilemma to choose between nexus one and iphone 3gs as i feel android is still in its early days..
Depends on what you want to do , Apple Appstore is really rich so if you want to use some niche apps such as Cisco Webex client for your office meetings BB and iPhone are only 2 choice. Or if you want Skype client then again BB and iPhone has that.

For Android you can achieve same using fring but if fring crash on your mobile or you need some configurations you need to sort that out searching forums on internet.

If you are general user looking for Samrtphones and willing to experiment then go for Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 it is best VFM and lot better the nexusone as of today in Android market.

If you are willing to wait for one quarter you will have quite rich Android based phones perticularly when ARM Cortex A8 core based APs are being productized from all the players.

If you are anywhere in UK and don't hate VDF go and buy H1 or M1 and soon to be launched H2 and M2 and yours truly has personal interest in this.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:55   #44
Team-BHP Support

Android has definitely evolved. Its beyond the early days. Nexus one is a terrific phone and worth it. But yes iPhone has its own cult following. Unlocked versions of these phones are I think near the same price. I would though prefer the Android.

I think its a personal choice.
Old 18th March 2010, 00:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Happened to have a quick look at a colleague's HTC Hero. Didn't use it long enough it to give a thumbs up or thumbs down, but it definitely seems promising...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks