Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 00:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Is it a good choice to buy the google nexus one now? I am kind of in a dilemma to choose between nexus one and iphone 3gs as i feel android is still in its early days..
There is a new android phone (HTC Incredible) rumored to be launched by march end in US market for Verizon network. Going by discussions in some android forums, it is supposed to be an improvement over nexus one.
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:13   #47
BHPian

Guys,

Any idea from where I can buy the i5700 in Hyderabad?. I tried a few shops and they either do not have stock or dont know the model itself. I tried the following shops in Himayat Nagar - The mobile store, Sangeetha mobiles, Big C and Univercell.

Thank you.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Guys,

Any idea from where I can buy the i5700 in Hyderabad?. I tried a few shops and they either do not have stock or dont know the model itself. I tried the following shops in Himayat Nagar - The mobile store, Sangeetha mobiles, Big C and Univercell.

Thank you.
Please wait until the model is out and you get good reviews, I too saw the good features of i7500 and finalised on buying it, and when I checked the internet, it was full of bad reviews, and even the mobile shop guys told that, the model was stopped because of lot of complaints in all areas.

unless you have a tighter budget, I recommend getting a HTC hero, otherwise tattoo.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Its the Motorola Milestone for me...
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:51   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Guys,

Thank you.
if you want android, go for any HTC or google phone. In samsung its not possible to upgrade the OS later. And samsung dont support their phones like HTC or nokia do.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:24   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonsam View Post
if you want android, go for any HTC or google phone. In samsung its not possible to upgrade the OS later. And samsung dont support their phones like HTC or nokia do.
Not true when it comes to android. It may happen on any phone if it is due to limitation of hardware especially given that newer versions of android may get more hardware driven to get better performance and bring out capabilities of each of the vendor's devices unlike earlier versions of android which was ported to their phones in a hurry.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitonsam View Post
How do you know that ? In fact any HTC phone with MSM7201A at 5XXMHz which is commonly available in Indian market can not be fully upgraded to Android 2.1 , Yes there are XDA developers builds but they are without many features and actually for engineers satisfaction rather then consumers point of view.

A consumer should think on the lines of can I use google navigation application which is on 2.1 rather then getting a 2.1 which can not support this.

Samsung i7500 is also Qualcomm MSM7201A processor so there is no plan to provide a upgrade further then Android 1.6 but i5700 is Samsungs own SOC which is an upgraded version of Samsung processor used in iPhone ( Yes Iphone uses Samsung processors atleast as of today , In future it seems they may go to NVIDIA seeing the CUDA coworking between NVIDIA and Apple)

Be assured there is an Android 2.1 upgrade for i5700.

If you really want to be future-proof go for any multicore ARM example Qualcomm Snapdragon based phone but that will cost a bomb and you are never sure how android will evolve , So it is stupid to invest money for future-proofing a technology path you don't know.

Best is to buy a midrange phoen which works till the visible horizon and then exchange it 1 year down the line.

BTW : Motorola droid is a really good Android phone lot better then google nexus one and HTC phones as of today. It uses Qcom Snapdragon processor so future few releases will work at least.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:06   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
How do you know that ? In fact any HTC phone with MSM7201A at 5XXMHz which is commonly available in Indian market can not be fully upgraded to Android 2.1 , Yes there are XDA developers builds but they are without many features and actually for engineers satisfaction rather then consumers point of view.

A consumer should think on the lines of can I use google navigation application which is on 2.1 rather then getting a 2.1 which can not support this.

Samsung i7500 is also Qualcomm MSM7201A processor so there is no plan to provide a upgrade further then Android 1.6 but i5700 is Samsungs own SOC which is an upgraded version of Samsung processor used in iPhone ( Yes Iphone uses Samsung processors atleast as of today , In future it seems they may go to NVIDIA seeing the CUDA coworking between NVIDIA and Apple)

Be assured there is an Android 2.1 upgrade for i5700.

If you really want to be future-proof go for any multicore ARM example Qualcomm Snapdragon based phone but that will cost a bomb and you are never sure how android will evolve , So it is stupid to invest money for future-proofing a technology path you don't know.

Best is to buy a midrange phoen which works till the visible horizon and then exchange it 1 year down the line.

BTW : Motorola droid is a really good Android phone lot better then google nexus one and HTC phones as of today. It uses Qcom Snapdragon processor so future few releases will work at least.
Be assured that the snapdragon is here to stay and you may not see any faster processors soon & hence its safe to switch to it and all the upcoming android releases will work on it.

Droid is better than nexus one?. You must be kidding. Had exhaustive access to both and am immensely impressed by N1 - both in terms of ergonomics as well as feature wise. Again its my personal impression.

Vijay
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Be assured that the snapdragon is here to stay and you may not see any faster processors soon & hence its safe to switch to it and all the upcoming android releases will work on it.

Droid is better than nexus one?. You must be kidding. Had exhaustive access to both and am immensely impressed by N1 - both in terms of ergonomics as well as feature wise. Again its my personal impression.

Vijay
Aah from Hydrabad you may be working for Qualcomm but I must say the claim that I may not see any faster processor soon is kind of what should I say immature.

I do not care much about Android as such and What google and Qcom do in OHA but as Qcom will maintain a branch for snapdragon i can be assured it will work but who knows how it evolves . What if Google start emphasis on Chrome OS for same segment ? Engineers in MNC support centers are not best to comment on technology strategy issue who could have predicted meego instead of Mobilin and mamemo ?

Well I don't work for Motorola but droid looked better to me and not just me but a lot of more people as per the last report I have 1.05 million droid sold as against 131K google nexus one.
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:57   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Aah from Hydrabad you may be working for Qualcomm but I must say the claim that I may not see any faster processor soon is kind of what should I say immature.

I do not care much about Android as such and What google and Qcom do in OHA but as Qcom will maintain a branch for snapdragon i can be assured it will work but who knows how it evolves . What if Google start emphasis on Chrome OS for same segment ? Engineers in MNC support centers are not best to comment on technology strategy issue who could have predicted meego instead of Mobilin and mamemo ?

Well I don't work for Motorola but droid looked better to me and not just me but a lot of more people as per the last report I have 1.05 million droid sold as against 131K google nexus one.
Chrome is for netbooks and above while android is for smartphones and lesser devices. Google has no plans of letting its frist creation eat into its another's share. BTW, why would I buy a new net/notebook with anything less than Ubuntu/W7...me thinks chrome is at a huge disadvantage here having to take on two well established OSes...why would anyone switch to it without any huge differentiator?

Since you really donno me, guess you were referring self above.
BTW, what makes you so sure maemo will not rise from ashes

Droid was released sometime back and with much fanfare besides Motorola has many followers in US. No, am not going by any stats; my first hand impressions and the fact that 3 of my friends started considering android phones seriously after Droid was announced but all graduated to N1. And yes they had luxury of trying both over weekends before concluding(and given the huge cost, do not think herd mentality would have kicked in - at least they claim decisions were made independently)

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 23rd March 2010 at 18:59.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chrome is for netbooks and above while android is for smartphones and lesser devices. Google has no plans of letting its frist creation eat into its another's share. BTW, why would I buy a new net/notebook with anything less than Ubuntu/W7...me thinks chrome is at a huge disadvantage here having to take on two well established OSes...why would anyone switch to it without any huge differentiator?

Since you really donno me, guess you were referring self above.

BTW, what makes you so sure maemo will not rise from ashes
Yes I am referring to myself. Well if someone outside NOkia and Linux foundation is there to maintain maemo it will but seeing the huge costs involved it is highly unlikely. Source code being open does not mean things come for free and what can be better example then Android specially when google gave Android 2.1 release first to HTC blasting all the tall claims of openness.

BTW There is no huge distinction left between netbook and smart-phone anyway and if the UI is scalable ( Achilles heal of Android) you can have one OS for both form factors. Merger/cannibalization is inevitable but any way that is up to Google.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd March 2010 at 19:41.
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:48   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Yes I am referring to myself. Well if someone outside NOkia and Linux foundation is there to maintain maemo it will but seeing the huge costs involved it is highly unlikely. Source code being open does not mean things come for free and what can be better example then Android specially when google gave Android 2.1 release first to HTC blasting all the tall claims of openness.

BTW There is no huge distinction left between netbook and smart-phone anyway and if the UI is scalable ( Achilles heal of Android) you can have one OS for both form factors. Merger/cannibalization is inevitable but any way that is up to Google.
You bet. Post the huge awareness/success android had with Linux, everyone else(even those like Moto who had burnt badly trying to make linux phones for years) wants to have a linux phone now of their own.

Actually its google's strategy of 'one vendor - one release' which is helping ensure each launch is well done while for rest of partners its just a small change on top of stabilized software to make it work on their phone. The time gap also helps each one launch their phone with little competition from similar phone.

Don't we get 2.1 android on all phones now - Samsung, HTC, Moto?
Source code is for free, don't expect google to buy free beer(hardware) for everyone.

Have been typing all this BS on my Ubuntu (remix)netbook. Wouldn't dare doing the same on a smartphone especially given my typing speed
UI scalable?. Just look at Acer(or was it HP?) android netbook. Not sure how many are even aware of one leave alone buying. They are struggling to getting basics of desktop working - things like mouse, harddisk, multiple SD slots or USB drives which have been existing on desktop world for more than a decade.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 23rd March 2010 at 20:51.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You bet. Post the huge awareness/success android had with Linux, everyone else(even those like Moto who had burnt badly trying to make linux phones for years) wants to have a linux phone now of their own.
Well Linux phone existed even before Google aquired Andromeda corp along with Android.Feature wise these Linux phones are richer then any existing Android phone with less hardware BOM. NEC/PMC are still making MOAP-L phones for DoCoMo . Samsung made H1 for Vodafone 360 . The effort is united in LiMo Foundation
They lack in the reach to developer community like Google because none of these members are internet company or software powerhouse like Google.

Secondly once Google changed the programming model using Dalvik VM and removed System V IPC calls and removed GNU Lib C Android is not exactly Linux.You can not expect any middle ware using System V socket IPC to run on Android.

What made Android success is Google services and Cloud and reach to attract developers.

Technically it still sucks because it is huge resource drain Dalvik VM for example is about 900 times slower them an optimized J2ME despite all claims of being efficient. Even Jblend from Aplix which implements J2ME on Android runs same loops 100 times faster on Android then native application executing in Dalvik. This is the reason phoen manufacturers need to use high end AP for providing same features which are provided even on ARM-9 based APs see the Samsung Corby series , the BOM required for Android is way above then retail market price of these mass market phones which provide everything except nice APIs and SDK for 3ed party.

Even in so called Smartphone market segment a lot of improvement is required in terms of resource utilization to move ahead of 1% market share as of now.

Also the UI management sucks , See below.

Quote:

UI scalable?. Just look at Acer(or was it HP?) android netbook.

Vijay
Buddy before you call Android UI scalable , just check if there is any equivalent of GTK+ dynamic layout in Google scheme of things leave alone QT which is much ahead in this regard.

Yes there are scores of Chinese/Taiwanese OEM/ODM with Android netbooks but give me one example of Android net book which can show simultaneous 2 windows of two different applications.

Example : A simple tetris game on 1/4 screen and a simple media player on rest 3/4 or half scree, This is a limitation which even Android UI folks admit so don't know why there needs to be a debate here.

Everyone including folks in my organization is prematurely celebrating demise of Symbian but Nokia has ported QT on Symbian and it will continue to dominate and may be further the current 45% market share

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th March 2010 at 10:19.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:57   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Well Linux phone existed even before Google aquired Andromeda corp along with Android.Feature wise these Linux phones are richer then any existing Android phone with less hardware BOM. NEC/PMC are still making MOAP-L phones for DoCoMo . Samsung made H1 for Vodafone 360 . The effort is united in LiMo Foundation
They lack in the reach to developer community like Google because none of these members are internet company or software powerhouse like Google.

Secondly once Google changed the programming model using Dalvik VM and removed System V IPC calls and removed GNU Lib C Android is not exactly Linux.You can not expect any middle ware using System V socket IPC to run on Android.

What made Android success is Google services and Cloud and reach to attract developers.

Technically it still sucks because it is huge resource drain Dalvik VM for example is about 900 times slower them an optimized J2ME despite all claims of being efficient. Even Jblend from Aplix which implements J2ME on Android runs same loops 100 times faster on Android then native application executing in Dalvik. This is the reason phoen manufacturers need to use high end AP for providing same features which are provided even on ARM-9 based APs see the Samsung Corby series , the BOM required for Android is way above then retail market price of these mass market phones which provide everything except nice APIs and SDK for 3ed party.

Even in so called Smartphone market segment a lot of improvement is required in terms of resource utilization to move ahead of 1% market share as of now.

Also the UI management sucks , See below.

Buddy before you call Android UI scalable , just check if there is any equivalent of GTK+ dynamic layout in Google scheme of things leave alone QT which is much ahead in this regard.

Yes there are scores of Chinese/Taiwanese OEM/ODM with Android netbooks but give me one example of Android net book which can show simultaneous 2 windows of two different applications.

Example : A simple tetris game on 1/4 screen and a simple media player on rest 3/4 or half scree, This is a limitation which even Android UI folks admit so don't know why there needs to be a debate here.

Everyone including folks in my organization is prematurely celebrating demise of Symbian but Nokia has ported QT on Symbian and it will continue to dominate and may be further the current 45% market share

My point on linux phones pre android - how many were commercially successful. None - no where closer to the ones that were released same time as these and got mass acceptance.

Dalvik is just 2+ yrs old. Will take time to mature. You may want to wait for the next version of android to see how fast its evolving.
Jblend / Aplix - never heard of them.
Mass acceptance and having a leader to drive the technology is crucial. Just having the fastest software does not help. Again, I go with human experience - my experience to be specific - no stats for me - 900 times does not help unless I get access to it on a phone and impress me

GNU Lib C is not central to Linux. It was removed with a purpose - GNU
Google continues using and contributing back to linux kernel. They do push all its partners to design/code such that they can be opensourced. Its only the Samsungs and HTCs of the world that try to keep their advantages out of kernel ...but then its understandable that they want to retain their lead.

Guess we are on same page that android UI is scalable. That is what I meant when I said that the netbook by those vendors(who BTW are known leaders in laptop segment and hence cannot be summarily dismissed as of some region - every one is?) were just a blip and no one even knows.

Folks - Another andorid phone is on the horizon - this time from Gramin-Asus based on Nuvi. Am already wondering if this was a last ditch attempt by Gramin to service given assault of free google maps, streetview and OVI.

Vijay

Last edited by vjoy3 : 24th March 2010 at 14:59.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:09   #60
BHPian

Samsung is upgrading their OS from android 1.5 to 2.1. So some of the mobile is not available presently.
By the way cost is around 12-14K. For both the model 5700 and 7500.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks