Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 21:34   #4366
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Hi

I am looking for an AC but the likes of General and Daikin seem a bit too expensive. Which brands can i consider which are good in terms of VFM and with reasonably good reliability and service?
As I said in my previous post, you're best off with LG. That's one company that has made a sincere effort, something that almost none of the others seem to have any inclination for! If you are in a metro area you can expect about the best after sales service experience. I say this after having tried out many great 'brands' (GE, National, Hitachi, Whirlpool) over many many years. I'm 64 years old, if that means anything!
And please do not go for 'inverter' technology! That's another big rip-off!

Last edited by anupmathur : 23rd March 2016 at 21:35.
Old 23rd March 2016, 21:45   #4367
BHPian

after reading some of the comments about inverter model, i am glad that i changed my decision at the very last minute to switch from daikin inverter model to Mitsubishi 5 star model.
Old 23rd March 2016, 21:46   #4368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Which brands can i consider which are good in terms of VFM and with reasonably good reliability and service?
You can try Voltas also, reliable with decent service support, atleast here in BLR.
Old 24th March 2016, 09:48   #4369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can try Voltas also, reliable with decent service support, atleast here in BLR.
Many of my friends/relatives do not have AC at their home. So, this comment comes from my limited knowledge about AC. But, whoever has it, it is either Voltas or Blue star and none of the models (General, Hitachi, Panasonic, Daikin, etc) that we discuss here in this thread. And in the small offices, I have only seen Voltas, Blue star or Carrier and again none from the other brands. So, when i started planning for an AC at home, the very first brand that came to my mind was Voltas. My thinking was, when so many people are using it, there must be some reason for it? But, at the end of the day, my obsession with Japanese brand made me to start looking for Panasonic, Daikin, Hitachi and Mitsubishi.
So, in a nut shell, for those who do not want to go for expensive brands, Voltas can be considered.
Old 24th March 2016, 10:14   #4370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
But, at the end of the day, my obsession with Japanese brand made me to start looking for Panasonic, Daikin, Hitachi and Mitsubishi.
So, in a nut shell, for those who do not want to go for expensive brands, Voltas can be considered.
Another interesting aspect is irrespective of manufacturer, most of these units comes completely built in (including gas) from the republic of china I would go with Japanese models as long as they are made in japan, otherwise the premium you pay may not be justifed, especially where other players have better local service.
Old 24th March 2016, 10:17   #4371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
My sympathies. Believe me, in the long term, I find LG to be the best bet. And not 'inverter'.
'Inverter' is a trap. It hasn't saved anyone any money. Instead it demands far more than regular ACs. When you factor in the much higher first cost and then the maintenance, the numbers tell a different story from what was promised before the purchase.
how is inverter a trap? if you are using it for more than 6hrs a day consistently then you do save a lot of monies. in my room i set temp for 24deg and for the first few mins it runs at 1.6KW to reach the set temp, then throughout the night it runs at .01/0.2KW to maintain the temperature.
Old 24th March 2016, 11:40   #4372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead it demands far more than regular ACs.
Can you please elaborate on this?

I find it hard to believe that an Inverter air conditioner requires more attention, or any attention at all.

The working principle of a Inverter air conditioner is quite simple. It adjusts compressor speed based on load. I would prefer this any day over the stop start nature of a non inverter air conditioner. The stop start system ends up consuming more power cause it works at 100%, all the time. In fact, when the compressor kicks in, it actually consumes more power than claimed.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:42   #4373
BHPian

^^+1
Agreed. Inverter is efficient.
I've been using an LG Inverter V split for the last 3 years and can attest to its benefits. Admittedly the initial investment is high but the savings are worth the price. My unit is used for about 10 to 14 hours a day from April to late October. Apart from regular filter cleaning has not required any maintenance or repairs. Recommended it to several friends and family after experiencing the power efficiency. Haven't heard anything negative from the one's who purchased the same model.
Based on this, I would strongly recommended Inverter Model AC from reputed brands.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:45   #4374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviouravenger View Post
Admittedly the initial investment is high but the savings are worth the price. My unit is used for about 10 to 14 hours a day from April to late October.
Any idea how much of power saving happens? In monitory terms say per month in comparison to regular compressor? currently a colleague is i n the dilemma and inputs would help make the decision.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:57   #4375
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not interested in calculating the fuel bills (much the same as I don't for my car!) but I am very interested in the perceived performance, and I can say that an inverter AC is vastly superior, keeping both temperature and humidity stable, rather than experiencing peaks and dips in both. A big amount of my disappointed with Sharp is that, had it been reliable and/or spare parts available with good customer service, I would have been 100% happy.

The customer-service claims made on their brochure are complete and absolute bovine excrement, with some horse thrown in. Sharp customer service is non-existant. And it is not the fault of the poor service company and technicians, who are completely embarrassed by the situation.
Old 24th March 2016, 13:02   #4376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Any idea how much of power saving happens? In monitory terms say per month in comparison to regular compressor? currently a colleague is i n the dilemma and inputs would help make the decision.
If you use the aircon almost everyday & on average 4+ hours, an inverter AC is preferable. So, for office environments, its a no-brainer. But for home, its only if your use is that heavy, its justified.

Besides the power costs, there are other issues to consider:

http://www.aircon-servicing.com.sg/a...er-aircon.html
Old 24th March 2016, 13:15   #4377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
how is inverter a trap? ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Can you please elaborate on this?
Inverter ACs have their strengths but long term ownership economy is not one of them. Long term? I'd consider ten years as par for the course for expensive appliances.
Since hardly anyone has owned an inverter model for such a period we will just have to wait and see how it turns out.
For the time being those that have invested in such ACs should enjoy the stable temperature, quiet operation and the relatively draught free conditioning they provide.
Old 24th March 2016, 13:42   #4378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since hardly anyone has owned an inverter model for such a period we will just have to wait and see how it turns out.
Inverter technology based air conditioners were introduced in the early 80's. Knowing how the Japanese operate, I am pretty sure that they tested all they had to, before introducing this technology to the market. The weather in Japan is also similar to what our coastal cities experience, except for the reduced dust levels. Close to 35 years post introduction, I am confident that an Inverter based air conditioner will be as reliable as a non inverter air conditioner. Inverter based air conditioning has been around for ages. We received the technology rather late. Cost has been the only prohibition for folks not to adopt the technology. It is within reach now.

Japan moved their entire commercial air conditioning business towards Inverters over 10 years ago. The power savings were huge.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th March 2016 at 13:43.
Old 24th March 2016, 13:57   #4379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Need 6 units of split ACs as below:

2 Bedrooms - 125 & 130 sq ft - Is 1 Ton enough or 1.5 ton required? I may go for Inverter ACs though these will be used only for 4-5 months a year (8-10 hours a day) due to uniform temperature levels that Inverte ACs maintain throughout. If not inverter, then 3 star

1 bedroom - 100 sq ft - 1 ton 3 star

Study room - 75 sq ft - 0.8 ton 3 star

Living room / Drawing Room/ dining/ Kitchen - it's all open and total area comes to 400 - 450 sq ft. Thinking 2 no.s of 1.5 Ton 3 star ACs

Now brands.....

Diakin ruled out as its started gettingmanufactured in INdia and heard tht quality is not as before

Mitsubishi ruled out due to probable issues in parts availability and/or setvice (niche product/ low sales/ may be smaller distribution or service network/ hence parts availability may be an issue)

Hitachi / O General - pricey with a perceived higher parts cost

Therefore, brands which are considered are .........

Blue Star, Voltas & Panasonic with Blue Star currently leading the race.

Pls suggest me the brand as well as the capacity of ACs as mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It seems that our Sharp technicians are just as frustrated as we are: they just cannot get the parts from Sharp. Frankly, even if they do, with one new motor having only lasted weeks, I don't hold much hope of another one lasting any longer. I suspect an underlying controller or inverter fault.

What's worse, I fear this machine was a big waste of money
Precisely this is the reason I'm more inclined towards Blue Star though it's not a glamorous brand.

But sadly got no response to my post/ queries here (since it's not a glamorous brand?)
Old 24th March 2016, 14:03   #4380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Japan moved their entire commercial air conditioning business towards Inverters over 10 years ago. The power savings were huge.
I agree with what you have said. But that is Japan. India is a different kettle of fish. There is no point trying to prove it one way or the other.
I have steered clear of inverter ACs, specifically due to Delhi being a very dusty city and with summer temperatures that can hit 47°C; you have the privilege to do as you please. I would imagine that in coastal cities inverter ACs stand a better chance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks