Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 09:49   #4486
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I would like to hear from anyone using multi split air conditioners.
Even I explored this option last month, when i was about to install ACs in the bed rooms in my flat. But, i was told by the engineer that the total cost would be more than buying individual units and hence suggested me not to go for that option. I did not explore this further and just went ahead with 2 individual units.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:24   #4487
Senior - BHPian

While multi-split units are being discussed let me point out what my personal opinion is with regard to these units. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket. The day the ODU has a problem there is complete loss of conditioning for the rooms in question. And we all know that ACs are prone to give trouble every once in a while.
In fact, for large rooms it is not a bad idea to install two independent ACs. At least there is half the conditioning available if one AC fails. Redundancy has its merits.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:40   #4488
Senior - BHPian

The only advantage of multiple units over a large single system is redundancy, but then larger systems last longer.

The advantages of a large system are
. Systems with Scroll compressors and on 3 phase, are generally of commercial grade, hence will have less breakdown and last a few decades. So lower life time capital costs.
. Lower Power Consumption, hence lower running costs. In general larger systems will consume less than half the power of smaller window/split units. Some VRF systems can go down to 10% rated cooling at high efficiency.
. With VRF you get uniform cooling - no longer burst of chilled air followed by warm.
. If you do not require cooling in all the location simultaneously (Bedrooms, kitchen, living room etc), then larger systems can be designed with lower total capacity and cooling channeled where required.

These systems are gaining popularity, at least in Delhi. Situations where you need to provision cooling for three or four bedrooms, but not simultaneously, provision for a large number of guests in the living room (occasionally), in short provision for a lot of cooling areas, but requirements for a few at a time etc. A few of our acquaintances have installed Heat pump based VRF of around 10T and are extremely happy with both the cooling/heating as well as with much reduced electricity bills.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:44   #4489
Senior - BHPian

the fact that they cost much more, could be because of two reasons:

1. They are genuinely better built with sturdier quality components. copper piping and redundant electronics.

2. In case of blue star they started making inverter split and multi inverter split airconditioners completely in India. Are they overpricing to recover costs of establishing an independent manufacturing unit for the same.

Now only if there are user reviews, can we know that.

Cost of 1 Blue Star 4.5 Ton (1.5TX3) unit is 1.73 lakhs. Who's gonna bite ?

also this statement needs to be validated:

Quote:
While the system is 15-50 per cent more expensive depending on its capacity (tonnage), it is 50 per cent more energy efficient than the currently available inverter air-conditioners. For example, a four-room residential unit will have to spend at least ₹2 lakh for four units of 1.5-tonne inverter air-conditioners, whereas a 6-tonne VRF IV Plus system would cost ₹3 lakh. However, one can recover the additional investment within a year or two through its energy efficiency, explained CP Mukundan Menon, Executive Vice-President.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle7333932.ece

So if I get this correct, Blue Star is claiming it's VRF system is more energy efficient than even inverter systems. How do we know for sure ?

Last edited by lurker : 13th April 2016 at 11:04.
Old 13th April 2016, 12:53   #4490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
.... How do we know for sure ?
Don't fall for hype. The only way to save a significant amount of money on the power bill will be to have a water cooled condenser in the ODU, and that comes with its own ancillary equipment like a pump and cooling tower etc..
Old 13th April 2016, 14:42   #4491
Senior - BHPian

VRF keep adjusting the coolant with demand, so as in the above example you have AC on in 4 bedrooms, but 3 require less cooling (due to less people or smaller rooms) and one requires more, VRF will shift the load from the former to the latter. Once all the rooms are cold enough the compressor backs up and runs at very low power.

The ratio of full power to minimum varies from 4:1 for smaller units to as much as 12:1 for larger units.
Old 13th April 2016, 14:48   #4492
Senior - BHPian

Voltas VRF is in collaboration with MIDEA.

Collaborations

Over the years, we have forged alliances with global leaders in various fields. These collaborations have helped us enhance our own knowledge base, technological know-how and project capabilities, and our ability to offer superior products and integrated solutions. Our partners include:
MIDEA (China) for Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) systems

Ruks Engineering (Canada) for ozone engineered systems & UVGI
India's Largest AC Company, no1 ac, Best ac Company in india
Old 13th April 2016, 15:17   #4493
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I am contemplating buying A/C's for two rooms because of the extreme heat in Bangalore! (3-4 years back I would be laughed at if I mentioned A/C in Bangalore. ) My BIL is suggesting to go with multiple split A/C but I am thinking of having two separate individual A/C units. Which one is better considering cost, service and labour?

Also please do suggest a good and reliable brand. I am looking at 1.5 ton A/c units.
Old 13th April 2016, 17:07   #4494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am thinking of having two separate individual A/C units.
Better to have two separate units as atleast you can use one room if the AC in the other fails. Atleast that's the way I look at things
Price wise it shouldn't be too different. Brands honestly are a personal preference. Saw in this thread that Voltas is offering a five year complete and comprehensive warranty which is a prudent choice. There is more information in the recent few pages of this thread that should give you more pointers.
Old 13th April 2016, 17:21   #4495
BHPian

Voltas split ACs have moved from Copper/brass condensers to aluminium condensers. These conk off randomly. My condenser went bad in 6 years and bro in Law had to change it in 14 months. Costs 6500 INR to replace it with copper condenser.

So please check this and ensure you get a copper condenser before buying the AC.
Old 13th April 2016, 20:32   #4496
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I am contemplating buying A/C's for two rooms because of the extreme heat in Bangalore! (3-4 years back I would be laughed at if I mentioned A/C in Bangalore. ) My BIL is suggesting to go with multiple split A/C but I am thinking of having two separate individual A/C units. Which one is better considering cost, service and labour?

Also please do suggest a good and reliable brand. I am looking at 1.5 ton A/c units.
Hitachi is one of the best AC brand and is quite reliable too. If you are looking for split AC's, you can also check out the Daikin ACs.
Old 13th April 2016, 21:19   #4497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... My BIL is suggesting to go with multiple split A/C but I am thinking of having two separate individual A/C units. Which one is better considering cost, service and labour?
I do not agree with your BIL, assuming he is recommending multi-split ACs (NOT multiple split Acs). Go for multiplicity/redundancy. That is the most sensible solution with the care-a-damn attitude that has become the defining trait of the multinational companies operating in India. Most are simply taking Indians for a royal ride on the assumption that they are ignoramuses.
Old 14th April 2016, 00:16   #4498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Even I explored this option last month, when i was about to install ACs in the bed rooms in my flat. But, i was told by the engineer that the total cost would be more than buying individual units and hence suggested me not to go for that option. I did not explore this further and just went ahead with 2 individual units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
While multi-split units are being discussed let me point out what my personal opinion is with regard to these units. It's like putting all your eggs in one basket. The day the ODU has a problem there is complete loss of conditioning for the rooms in question. And we all know that ACs are prone to give trouble every once in a while.
In fact, for large rooms it is not a bad idea to install two independent ACs. At least there is half the conditioning available if one AC fails. Redundancy has its merits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@optimist; these will cost much more than two individual units. I did investigate this option for my home and then gave up.
The above points make perfect sense! Thanks. One dilemma out of the way.

Spent a good part of the day looking at Reliance/Chroma/online

Online seems a bit cheaper but I am tempted to go in for extended warranty cover from Reliance or Chroma to be a bit safe. Any opinions?

Choices are getting down to 1.5 ton inverter from Hitatchi, Daikin, Bluestar or Voltas by popular opinion but Samsung and LG compressors have longer warranty from the most popular above. I'm feeling making a choice. Being able to read specifications is a hindrance.

The following from Hitachi look good : 5400i, 5300i, 5200i with good EER, 5 speed IDU fan, at around 26dB appear to be silent, full o features but are pricey.

General 1.5T & 2.0T inverter model specs looks good on paper.

Bluestar Inverter Cool only series looks to have a lot to catch up in terms of efficiency with Hitachi. Many features are available on this series but require manual operation. Service in Bangalore seems to be good with parts available in 24 Hours said by sales/service person. Any user opinions on this brand?

I have a living room with high ceiling at 20'. I was suggested that I fit a 2.0 ton inverter ac for the living room with 210 sqft of carpet area at the normal height of 7' for the IDU as the top being cooled does not matter as it is vacant space. As the cold air settles down, it should not be a problem. I would like to hear anyone's experience with such an installation.

I would appreciate any service related inputs for the brands at Bangalore. with any dealer references.

Thanks again.
Old 14th April 2016, 10:12   #4499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Choices are getting down to 1.5 ton inverter from Hitatchi, Daikin, Bluestar or Voltas by popular opinion but Samsung and LG compressors have longer warranty from the most popular above. I'm feeling making a choice. Being able to read specifications is a hindrance.
You don't want to consider Mitsubishi? I am not asking this question because I have brought it, but the sales person with whom i was interacting had high praise for Mitsubishi compared to Daikin, hence asking.
Old 14th April 2016, 10:23   #4500
BHPian

Hitachi Service in Bangalore is pathetic as experienced .Bought a 1.5 ton AC which started making noise on the first day it got installed .To get it installed took 7 days with lots of escalations .After that raised 2 tickets with Hitachi service no body came to service the unit and closed the tickets .Since bought it from Flipkart raised a return request once return request was raised Technician from Hitachi came running and it was declared as a faulty compressor .From the technician came to know that a lot if units have similar issues .
Ultimately returned the unit .
I am also contemplating a Mitsubishi which I heard good feedback from users .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks