Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2016, 00:05   #4621
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Planning for a 1.5 T split AC for my home. Leaning towards bluestar or Daikin going by their reputation but open to suggestions. Just avoiding LG, whirlpool and Samsung. Please let me know the parameters to look at for comparison. My budget is max 40K.

Please suggest.
Old 25th April 2016, 00:43   #4622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Planning for a 1.5 T split AC for my home. Leaning towards bluestar or Daikin going by their reputation but open to suggestions.
I have two Daikins and it's been a mixed bag. Both acs have had to have the gas filled in about 4 years since purchase. They are run all night round the year. Depending on your usage I suppose power usage rating and service will be the parameters to consider. most 3 star acs will fit in your budget. I suspect the 5 star may be just over and inverters will probably not. I was checking prices for a friend who wants three acs today and was looking at Voltas as they were supposed to have a promotion till end of April on their acs for a comprehensive 5 year warranty on all parts, not only compressor.
Old 25th April 2016, 00:49   #4623
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, service and the power consumption are two critical parameters apart from performance of course.

I will have a look at the products in the market tomorrow and will probably seal the deal. Please let the advice flow till then.
Thanks.
Old 25th April 2016, 01:02   #4624
BHPian

I should mention the Daikins little longer to cool, while I have a ten year old Samsung 2T which starts feeling cool during the peak time of the day within 5-10 mins. The Daikins take a bit longer. The 2T is in our living room of about 400sq ft while the Daikins in our BRs at about 150-175sq ft.
Old 25th April 2016, 01:44   #4625

Hello everyone,

Has anybody been using carrier Estrella 1.5 ton (3*)?

Would be great if somebody could share their experience with this product.
Old 25th April 2016, 09:31   #4626
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning for a 1.5 T split AC for my home. Leaning towards bluestar or Daikin going by their reputation but open to suggestions. Just avoiding LG, whirlpool and Samsung. Please let me know the parameters to look at for comparison. My budget is max 40K.

Please suggest.
As some member mentioned about his problems with Daikin, I had a bad experience with bluestar. We had to fill in the gas every year and it had other electrical issues too, like the receiver not working etc.
Between the two, I'd advice going for the Daikin. But I'd personally recommend Hitachi. Though you may not get the 5 star rated one in your budget.
Old 25th April 2016, 09:53   #4627
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
I myself am an Air-conditioner dealer, more into larger office projects though I do sell split Ac's in smaller numbers as well.
The main points to follow for good performance of the Ac unit are:-
1. Follow correct installation procedure.
After installation, system has to be pressure tested with nitrogen, and then vacuumed upto 500 microns. For R-22 systems 300psi is adequate, while for R-410a systems it should be 500 psi.
2. Use proper pipe insulation, the insulation with kit pipes is of very cheap quality, Class 'O' nitrile foam of minimum 9 mm is needed.
3. Both indoor and out door coils should be cleaned properly and regularly, fine dust settels on coils and reduces effeciency.
4. Proper installation is almost never done as cost to the dealer itself is almost twice the ruling price in the competitive market, but asking for service beyond what is generally offered will pay back in the long term.
5. Inverter Ac's draw about 30% the rated capacity current at 50% load. Inverter Ac's can also run at capacity above what they are rated for, but in such conditions they draw much higher current than a fixed speed Ac. So inverter Ac should only be used after calculating heat load properly, and capacity should be chosen in a way that it runs at 100% or lesser capacity for not more than 15 min after starting.

Rahul
Old 25th April 2016, 11:30   #4628
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, in areas where service may be patchy, especially in semi rural areas, it would be best to go for low tech window units. The power consumption may be higher, but the advantages are many
. Window AC are cheaper than split
. Low tech AC cost half that of 5 star units
. Low tech AC weather power fluctuation much better than newer generation one. There is no electronics, hence no MB to go bad. All controls are electro mechanical, hence they last at least ten years+.
. Low tech AC Window can be repaired easily by local mechanics, who can also assemble one for you if required.

Last but not the least having multiple window type AC means redundancy. At our house we have multiple Hitachi Window AC. When ever one goes down (and it is always our bedroom), I just pull the AC out (it is quite heavy) and put in one from other room - a 5 minute job. There is no wait and no frustration as the errant AC is checked and repaired "off line".

Last edited by Aroy : 25th April 2016 at 11:32.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:20   #4629
BHPian

Picked up a Daikin 1.5T Inverter-model AC for 49K. Includes standard installation charges, a V-Guard stabilizer, L-brackets etc. The installation should happen in a day or 2. Bought it mainly due to the sales pitch by the owner of the shop who suggested Daikin over Hitachi for the quality of service in Hyderabad (Daikin is marginally better according to him), though as a product Hitachi is as good. Hope I didn't make a mistake of picking this.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:56   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Picked up a Daikin 1.5T Inverter-model AC for 49K. Includes standard installation charges, a V-Guard stabilizer, L-brackets etc. The installation should happen in a day or 2. Bought it mainly due to the sales pitch by the owner of the shop who suggested Daikin over Hitachi for the quality of service in Hyderabad (Daikin is marginally better according to him), though as a product Hitachi is as good. Hope I didn't make a mistake of picking this.
Can i know the exact model number? Why I am asking is, even i need to buy 1.5T inverter model for my living room and I am contemplating between Daikin and Mitsubishi.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:57   #4631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Hi guys,

4-Do not blindly go for Inverter ACs, Yes, they do save money and energy but only when they are appropriately installed (capacity wise & usage wise) in a well sealed room otherwise they just go about functioning like a very expensive normal air conditioner. Also, going by the failure rate in my circle, I just couldn't convince myself to buy one over a 5 star ac.
I am planning on purchasing some more inverter ACs. Can you please elaborate on the failure aspect. Which part failed? What is the cause attributed by technicians for this failure? What is the cost of replacement?
Old 25th April 2016, 14:05   #4632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Hi guys,
I myself am an Air-conditioner dealer ...
As you have posted under your real name, it may not be professionally appropriate for you to comment on specific brands, especially if the comment is negative, so I understand if you cannot answer my question but I wish that someone in, or connected to, the trade, would comment on the apparent collapse of Sharp and its service
Old 25th April 2016, 14:35   #4633
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, service and the power consumption are two critical parameters apart from performance of course.

I will have a look at the products in the market tomorrow and will probably seal the deal. Please let the advice flow till then.
Thanks.
Hey Saket - for Ranchi, I would suggest to stick with LG/Whirlpool because of the service. And you would be using the AC pretty much 3-4 months at max.

I have them at my home and they run fairly well.
Old 25th April 2016, 15:14   #4634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Can i know the exact model number? Why I am asking is, even i need to buy 1.5T inverter model for my living room and I am contemplating between Daikin and Mitsubishi.
The exact model is FTKH50RRV16-Inverter. This is supposedly the 2016 series. Most websites show "Out of stock" for this one.
Old 25th April 2016, 16:12   #4635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
The exact model is FTKH50RRV16-Inverter. This is supposedly the 2016 series. Most websites show "Out of stock" for this one.
Thanks for the info. I have got a quote of 52.4k (just for unit price) for FTKM series. So, I just wanted to compare this with the price that you have got.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks