Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 22:37   #5371
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The AC blower runs and keeps throwing warm air like from a fan - absolutely no cooling effect.
AC mechanic says he cant spot a leak in the aluminium coil. Such spotting and rectification is possible on copper coils alone, and he needs 8K to convert mine to a copper coil unit.
I don't think spotting the leak should be any harder in the aluminum coil than in the copper one.
So that's just wrong info given by him.

As for the rectification part, copper coil is easier to repair and it's usually not possible to repair the aluminum coil.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:00   #5372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
PS: I noticed (while washing my car last weekend) that even our cars come with aluminium coil, and they take the abuse and they do last, so this 'aluminium coils don't last long' theory of the AC mechanic makes no sense to me now!
More often than not it is the brazing/soldering at the coil ends (to connect them to the compressor/condenser) that leaks and not the coil itself. The wastage at the 'weld' is because of different materials that combine there and create galvanic action that wastes the less noble material.

And yes, you must change your AC technician.

Last edited by anupmathur : 14th June 2017 at 07:01.
Old 15th June 2017, 20:01   #5373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Just ordered a Daikin 1.5ton FTKC Made In Thailand Inverter R32 Cooling Only for 48K. I hope no issue on Inverter side in long run . Any specific requirements for Inverter AC power supply. We have not been using any stabiliszer on our Daikins since past many years.
How is this AC serving you? I got an offer from the local Daikin dealer, but am hesitant since it is an import model. And am not able to find much info on this model online.
Old 15th June 2017, 20:38   #5374
BANNED

Working great is about a year now. Does duty from noon to 9pm. Compared to earlier units I have which also are made in Thailand the filter is prone to high dust on top side and not on front like earlier. The noise level is extremely low both for Indoor and outdoor units . It is installed in a area where the sun hits it directly from 2pm to 5pm. I have cleaned the heat sinks once in March this year by opening the outdoor units of Inverter. I will buy again but with a heat pump.
Old 15th June 2017, 20:47   #5375
BHPian

Quote:
Working great is about a year now. Does duty from noon to 9pm. Compared to earlier units I have which also are made in Thailand the filter is prone to high dust on top side and not on front like earlier. The noise level is extremely low both for Indoor and outdoor units . It is installed in a area where the sun hits it directly from 2pm to 5pm. I have cleaned the heat sinks once in March this year by opening the outdoor units of Inverter. I will buy again but with a heat pump.
Great to hear that. What about power consumption? Being an import model, it does not have any published star rating or a EER rating. Do you have any idea where it stands?

Also does the condenser have an anti corrosion coating? I read somewhere that the JTKM and FTKH models do not have a coating.
Old 15th June 2017, 22:27   #5376
BANNED

Power Consumption is really low against non inverter 3 and 4star daikin I have at home. Condenser is aluminium and tubes are copper, both are material that will not rust. There was a bluish coating on outdoor unit though. EER is mentioned on indoor unit and will update once I am home next weekend.
Old 16th June 2017, 08:40   #5377
BANNED

Quote:
Condenser is aluminium and tubes are copper, both are material that will not rust. There was a bluish coating on outdoor unit though.
best of luck to you. Al coils are a pain, and prone to corrosion. They are the ones which perforate esp in corrosive atmospheres.
Old 16th June 2017, 09:13   #5378
Team-BHP Support

! tonne inverter AC's are out of market, at least here. All shops are waiting for GST to come into effect and then they would start stocking up.
Old 16th June 2017, 10:03   #5379
BANNED

@Sheel; I think there is a nationwide slowdown of all markets. No vendor wants to be caught during the transition to GST. The least that will happen is possible hassles in claiming rebates under the old system. I expect things to be back to normal by mid July.
Old 16th June 2017, 11:23   #5380
BHPian

Quote:
Power Consumption is really low against non inverter 3 and 4star daikin I have at home. Condenser is aluminium and tubes are copper, both are material that will not rust. There was a bluish coating on outdoor unit though. EER is mentioned on indoor unit and will update once I am home next weekend.
I thought Daikins only came with copper condensers. Did it come with a 5 year condenser warranty? Other manufacturers proved warranty for Aluminium condensers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Sheel; I think there is a nationwide slowdown of all markets. No vendor wants to be caught during the transition to GST. The least that will happen is possible hassles in claiming rebates under the old system. I expect things to be back to normal by mid July.
Isn't AC prices expected to increase after GST? I was planning to do it before end of month to save a few rupees.
Old 16th June 2017, 15:10   #5381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
best of luck to you. Al coils are a pain, and prone to corrosion. They are the ones which perforate esp in corrosive atmospheres.
I think he means that the coils are copper but the fins are aluminium.
Old 16th June 2017, 15:45   #5382
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that even copper can be treated with some coating to help prevent corrosion.

Crossposted:
Quote:
the fins are aluminium.
Oh, yes: maybe that is what gets the glue coating.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th June 2017 at 15:46.
Old 17th June 2017, 04:56   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It is sad fact of life that in modern day scenario the lower electricity bills are offset by higher repair bills.

An 18 year old AC would have practically no electronics, so rate of failure is low as the mechanicals are quite robust. In contrast the modern AC are quire vulnerable to power quality and in my experience the most failures are either the electronics. The motors of Fans and swings in modern AC are also quite delicate and fail at a regular interval.
You are absolutely right. But my logic went as follows : 18 years ago the AC cost me 23,750 (yes, still remember the price since it made quite a dent in my bank balance, back then). Inflation adjusted @ 7% (compounded), it would be equal to 80,000 today! The new one cost me just 17,500 , after discount, special discount (last piece in stock) and buyback of old AC. If this new one lasts me 5 years, I will feel (at cost of 3,500 per year), I have got my money's worth.
Old 21st June 2017, 11:26   #5384
BHPian

Yesterday I got a whatsapp forward about a personal air conditioner from a brand called Tupik (www.tupik.in)
Is it a thermoelectric cooler?
How good will it be?
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img20170620wa0002.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img20170620wa0003.jpg  

Old 21st June 2017, 12:46   #5385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Yesterday I got a whatsapp forward about a personal air conditioner from a brand called Tupik (www.tupik.in)
Is it a thermoelectric cooler?
How good will it be?
The link doesn't work but my guess is that a small AC to cool a small volume of a double bed (6½ feet by 6 feet by 3 feet) would be very economical with even a standard AC the size of a fridge cooling system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks