Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2019, 15:07   #6121
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Question: Need to have 2T AC (LG Q24SNXD) installed. However, location does not have a 15-AMP wall socket but the fuse box is close by. Now then, will a 16 AMP mini MCB do, or should a full sized MCB be used (As the electrician recommends)? What would the best way to do it?

Prefer the mini as it can be added on the fuse box itself along with a switch but the electrician says that it will melt in the long run.

Last edited by gendarmee : 16th March 2019 at 15:10.
Old 16th March 2019, 20:03   #6122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have excellent ownership with LG dual inverter AC.
So you are covered for 5 years at 16K or so.
Hi Aroy, I visited LG website today and got totally confused with so many options in split AC. The classification they use is also not clear. The one you recommended earlier is not available for my pin code.

I am looking for a 1.5 ton AC for a L shaped living room with 110 sq ft area. The place has multiple electronic devices and a large window as well though the room is not getting any sun shine through out the day. Where I live is close to a drain and in the past Hitachi (I have a window AC from them) mechanics attributed all leakages to this drain. This is another of my concern. Since it is a living room AC, it won't be used more than 2-3 hrs in a day and occasional overnight use.

Any guidance from you or any other member is most welcome.
Old 17th March 2019, 11:05   #6123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Hi Aroy, I visited LG website today and got totally confused with so many options in split AC. The classification they use is also not clear. The one you recommended earlier is not available for my pin code.

I am looking for a 1.5 ton AC for a L shaped living room with 110 sq ft area. The place has multiple electronic devices and a large window as well though the room is not getting any sun shine through out the day. Where I live is close to a drain and in the past Hitachi (I have a window AC from them) mechanics attributed all leakages to this drain. This is another of my concern. Since it is a living room AC, it won't be used more than 2-3 hrs in a day and occasional overnight use.

Any guidance from you or any other member is most welcome.
From what I have seen, most LG 1.5T AC with dual inverter have very minor differences. So what I did was to pick out the best deal available on Paytm. Wait till the summer starts and then the deals will start increasing. Last year the economy was quite slow so a lot of inventory accumulated.

Yes I have heard that AC corrode very fast when they are situated near the Drain at Delhi-Noida border. That is why I think that LG with 5 years extended warranty will be just the thing for you, as they will repair/replace the condensers and pipes in case of leakages.

When you install the split unit, try to locate it as far away from the drain as possible.
Old 18th March 2019, 13:06   #6124
BANNED

Also, now R22 is going out fast, ie very soon. A friend who has a central plant from Daikin has been approached.

So please avoid R22 at all costs.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 18:04   #6125
BHPian

Quote:
From what I have seen, most LG 1.5T AC with dual inverter have very minor differences. So what I did was to pick out the best deal available on Paytm.
Thanks a lot Aroy. Really appreciate your timely response. I was not in a position to wait as high command raised a red flag to get it before April. Therefore I went ahead and ordered LG KS-Q18KNXD. The price on LG site was INR 53990. But I got the final product for INR 40000 post cash backs and deductions.

In last few years the drain has been covered so I hope it won't have that deadly effect. Though need to send Hitachi again this year as last year itself they claimed cooling was not optimum.

One more query. I read all of you recommending Malaysian copper pipes for the installation. Can I request the LG team to get these pipes or do I need to procure it specially at my end? Any other precautions I should keep in mind at the time of installation.

Once again thanks a lot for your help.

Kind Regards

Vikas

Last edited by vikasshu : 18th March 2019 at 18:05. Reason: excess spacing between paragraphs
Old 18th March 2019, 20:11   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Thanks a lot Aroy. Really appreciate your timely response.
=====
Once again thanks a lot for your help.

Kind Regards

Vikas
LG AC comes with around 3m of pipe which is just enough from the room to the terrace in my case. Normally the extra pipe length where needed is also covered under warranty, so I guess it will be of proper quality, but you can inquire about the quality from the installer authorised by LG, when they ring up to fix the appointment.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd March 2019 at 16:10. Reason: Trimming the entire large post quoted. Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2019, 15:08   #6127
BHPian

Quote:
LG AC comes with around 3m of pipe which is just enough from the room to the terrace in my case. Normally the extra pipe length where needed is also covered under warranty, so I guess it will be of proper quality, but you can inquire about the quality from the installer authorised by LG, when they ring up to fix the appointment.

Hi Aroy,

Thanks for all your help in selecting a nice product. Finally machine has been installed as well by LG people. The two of them were very diligent and took them lot of time. Since it is still not the peak season, they could spare good amount of time on our installation. Drilling of hole in the wall took hell lot of time since it is a 25 inch thick wall. The mechanic took 2-3 pictures as well to be uploaded on LG servers. He also shared if there is any leakage in AC (i believe 1-2 months) then some amount will get deducted from his salary. Though a negative reinforcement but was working well.

Kind Regards

Vikas
Old 23rd March 2019, 19:30   #6128
BHPian

As 2019 summer months are approaching, I recently started doing a search for 1.5-ton ACs. Went thru’ numerous forums starting with our very own Team BHP. Great information on this forum, thank-you all.

We currently have Hitachi & Blue Star split ACs. I was looking for a 3rd AC. Wanted to look at a different brand, intentionally, although I am very happy with both these ACs. I was mainly looking for premium brand 5-star invertor split ACs like, O’General, Mitsubishi & Hitachi, but was open to other brands such as LG’s new dual inverter ACs etc. I finally settled for a 5-star, 1.5 ton, Mitsubishi Electric Invertor AC.

During my search, visited local showrooms of Reliance Digital & Bajaj Electronics to inquire about O’General, Mitsubishi & Hitachi. While they had O’General & Hitachi ACs, both these retail stores were not selling Mitsubishi brand ACs. The salespeople at both these retail showrooms were very friendly and approachable. They were strongly recommending 2019 models for LG, Samsung and Daikin. However, few things confused me. For one (true or false I do not know), the Bajaj showroom salesperson told me that both, Samsung & LG, sell ‘different’ models in Reliance Digital vs Bajaj Electronics. Why so, I have no idea, neither did I find out if this were true or otherwise.

Bajaj Electronics – Salesperson here, strongly recommended Samsung 3-star 1.5 ton 2019 models and said that the condenser would get 10 years warrantee (other brands gave 5 years condenser warrantee) with 5 years free gas refills (other brands did not give any free gas refill). Bajaj electronics was also giving a 10% cash back offer on certain credit cards. So, it was really a good deal.

Reliance Digital – Salesperson here, strongly recommended 5-star LG with dual invertor. Here, LG AC models came with 5-year free gas refills. I asked the Reliance Digital salesperson, what is the difference between the 2019 LG ACs and 2019 Samsung ACs Bajaj Electronics was selling. He said the main difference was 2019 LG models (with 5 year free gas fill) Reliance was selling, had copper condensers, while, the Bajaj Electronics Samsung AC models (with 5 year free gas fill) had aluminum condensers. So, I called up the Bajaj Electronics salesperson to ask – he did confirm the 2019 Samsung models, 3-star, they were selling, had ‘alloy’ (not copper) condensers. Copper condenser ACs are the best, from what I understand.

Mitsubishi & O’General: I then started online search for 1.5-ton Mitsubishi & O’General ACs. Both had great review comments online. Both these brands are more expensive than Samsung, LG etc. Both are imported brands with good build quality. These brands, unlike other brands, charge extra for installation and copper piping (other brands give 3-meter free copper pipe with free installation). For some reason (nothing particular), I was weighing more towards Mitsubishi brand vs O’General – both are good premium brands as also is Hitachi.

When I called Mitsubishi, I learned that, Mitsubishi has 2 subsidiaries – Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) and Mitsubishi Electric. Called both companies to find out pricing etc. The pricing was comparable for both. Both had imported units. MHI had no local dealerships – just a distributer. Mitsubishi Electric, on the other hand, did have independent dealer channels locally.

When I called the salesperson of Mitsubishi Electric (local sales & marketing office), he was very helpful and answered all my queries. He did confirm that Mitsubishi ACs were not sold thru’ regular big electronic chain retailers but were channeled thru’ Mitsubishi local dealerships. So, as per his recommendation, I went to the local dealership near my place to see the various available Mitsubishi AC models.

The local dealer also was very helpful and answered all my queries in detail. He confirmed that all Mitsubishi AC units were imported from Thailand. He explained the Mitsubishi split AC features to me. It did not have any fancy features like, self-auto cleaning, digital display on indoor unit etc. He further told me that for some reason all these premium brands such as Mitsubishi, Hitachi, O’General do not give any fancy frills (digital display etc.) like other local AC manufacturers may give. He also told me that these premium brands almost never give any offers / discounts on their products either. But he did mention that they all do give solidly built performance machines. And since they are imported, similar models are sold in global markets.

I finally decided to go for the Mitsubishi Electric 1.5-ton 5-star inverter AC. Delivery was prompt and efficient. Since the dealer was selling only Mitsubishi Electric ACs, he was very familiar with the product and the installation was done efficiently and quickly. I also purchased a separate stabilizer unit for protection against the frequent power fluctuations we get.

Both units (indoor and outdoor) I received from the dealer were new January 2019 import pieces from Thailand. The packaging was neat and once out of the package, the units looked solidly constructed, had great build quality and looked classy. One point to note is that the remote supplied does not have a backlight. I knew about this prior to purchase and was OK not having the backlight feature on the supplied remote. Post installation, I found that the AC units (both indoor and outdoor) are super quiet while running. One can hardly make out the units are running. Overall, very happy with the Mitsubishi split AC purchase.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 23:33   #6129
Distinguished - BHPian

I get the feeling that some salesmen think that the star rating on AC machines is like that for hotels! Did any of those people ask how many hours a day you will run the machine?
Old 24th March 2019, 14:38   #6130
BHPian

I'm in market for one 1.5 ton 5 star split ac.
Last year i bought 2 MSY-GN15 Mitsubishi Electric 1.2 Ton 5 star split inverters and 2 ASGG14CGTA 1.2 Ton 5 star split inverters. These have worked very well.

While looking for service yesterday, i found that both companies have outsourced same. Both are doing only dry service and charging extra for wet. So i'm going to get it done from my own reliable local mechanic. I hate outsourced service mechanics for they are usually very careless and sometimes even damage the units if customer is not closely monitoring their 'servicing'.

Another point is regarding voltage stabilizers. I have noticed that V-guard have some specific voltage stabilizers for Inverter ACs. Do these have any additional value for the price of around Rs. 4200/-?

I am concerned as General 5 star splits have max voltage rating as 275 while mitsubishi are rated till 415 volt. My bluebird stabilizers work between 180 and 300. So, i guess i need to replace these for General units.

This year, mitsubishi electric have come up with a new range with backlit remote. How'ever i am thinking of exploring LG this time.

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 24th March 2019 at 14:52.
Old 24th March 2019, 15:39   #6131
BHPian

Guys, Need some help with the air con copper pipes insulation. My 10 year old LG Split 1.5 ton has been serving excellently. Never even serviced except for the periodic cleaning of indoor unit and filters. This time I am planning to get it inspected and serviced, my biggest concern is 10-12 feet piping where the insulation has been completely chewed upon by pigeons and likes. Note that external unit is on a ledge which is not accessible easily. We are on 10th floor and would even need to remove window grills to make access possible.
What are my options:
1. Ignore the insulation and run the thing like every year, the usage is strictly April and May at an average of 6-7 hours daily.
2. Get the grill removed and have new insulation covers fitted. Is it worth the cost and effort??
3. Any other innovative way such as an insulation spray or a tape that can be wound on a good length without having to remove the grill.

What do you guys suggest?
On a side note, is urbanclap a good option for ac servicing?

Many thanks.
Old 25th March 2019, 11:58   #6132
BHPian

Hello guys, need help in choosing an A/C for our home. The room is an upper floor bedroom with an area of approx 135 sq.ft. There is aluminium roofing sheet on top of the ceiling, so there's no direct sunlight falling on the roof and not much on the side walls either. We are planning to use it for around 3-4 hrs per day during summers, which is only for 4 or 5 months in a year at max here in Kerala and maybe an hour at the max occassionally during other times. I suppose a 1 ton unit will suffice for my scenario. I have shortlisted few models based on my research on the web. Except one, all of these are inverter units and I'm not sure if my usage calls for an inverter AC. But at the same time, I don't want to be in a situation with high electricity bills either. Here are the models I found (Model number & ISEER rating):

Non-inverter:
-Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK 13 CRS-S6, 3.96

3 star Inverters:
-LG JS-Q12APXD, 3.86

4 star inverters:
-Daikin FTKP35TV16W, 4.17
-LG BSA12BEYD, 4.2

5 star Inverters:
-Daikin JTKJ35TV16U, 5.80
-LG KS-Q12ENZA, 4.70
-Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK13YL-S, 5.00

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2019, 12:34   #6133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post

Another point is regarding voltage stabilizers. I have noticed that V-guard have some specific voltage stabilizers for Inverter ACs. Do these have any additional value for the price of around Rs. 4200/-?

I am concerned as General 5 star splits have max voltage rating as 275 while mitsubishi are rated till 415 volt. My bluebird stabilizers work between 180 and 300. So, i guess i need to replace these for General units.
Whatever brand Voltage stabilizers you buy - make sure that you buy one with a switch to bypass the internal timer. Every stabilizer intended for AC comes with a built in timer to delay the start of the AC to protect the compressor in the event of a momentary power failure. But it can become a pain if you have to wait for 3-5 minutes every time you switch on. Modern CPU controlled ACs anyway have a built in delay.
One other thing about the operating voltage for your electrical appliances in India: 220-240 V AC. If for any reason they see 415 V, their lives will be doomed. So please understand that these units are not designed for operating at such 'high' voltages.

This is the reason why I have advised installing MOV rated at 275V/20A in every circuit to protect from surges and transients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Non-inverter:
=========

5 star Inverters:
-Daikin JTKJ35TV16U, 5.80
-LG KS-Q12ENZA, 4.70
-Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK13YL-S, 5.00

Forget non inverter ACs in these days. When you consider Air conditioning, you must factor in electricity consumption. I provide below a rough calculation on the annual savings between a non inverter AC and an Inverter AC:
Non Inverter 1.5 Ton AC consumption @12 units per day (@Rs.8 per unit): Rs.2880
Inverter 1.5 Ton AC consumption @8 units per day: Rs.1920
Yearly Savings: Rs.11520/-

These values are taken from my own usage - averaged and calculated for Tamil Nadu EB domestic charges. Your mileage may vary. But it is not going to be cheaper.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 08:02. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 25th March 2019, 14:04   #6134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Whatever brand Voltage stabilizers you buy - make sure that you buy one with a switch to bypass the internal timer. Every stabilizer intended for AC comes with a built in timer to delay the start of the AC to protect the compressor in the event of a momentary power failure. But it can become a pain if you have to wait for 3-5 minutes every time you switch on. Modern CPU controlled ACs anyway have a built in delay.
One other thing about the operating voltage for your electrical appliances in India: 220-240 V AC. If for any reason they see 415 V, their lives will be doomed. So please understand that these units are not designed for operating at such 'high' voltages.

This is the reason why I have advised installing MOV rated at 275V/20A in every circuit to protect from surges and transients.
These days so called 'intelligent time delay' voltage stabilizers are available. The delay is only when needed. There is no initial time delay -
The stabilizer will be switched on immediately if it is in the OFF condition for more than 3 minutes. If the power supply fails and resumes within 3 minutes, there will be a time delay depending upon the period of power failure. If power failure lasts for more than 3 minutes, the stabilizer will be switched ON automatically at the arrival of the power.

As per Mitsubishi Electric manual, their PCB is safe till 415V while that of General till 275V.

And to save dear PCB from that nano second surges (rare in Delhi) I've checked Uc275/20A MOV surge protectors in Delhi - retailers have no idea about it; only FEEO brand through Amazon is available online. Will check before monsoon.

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 25th March 2019 at 14:08.
Old 25th March 2019, 14:56   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Posting a year old update on Hitachi ACs we installed last summer. With a complete home renovation last year, we decided to fit ACs given the rising temperatures over the years. We have a first floor apartment with windows facing the East primarily.

After looking at different shops like Croma, Reliance Digital, Vijay Sales, Kohinoor as well as online options, finalised Kohinoor as they gave a sweet deal + accepted dad's AMEX card.
Installed the 1.5 ton Hitachi RSD317HBEA in hall and 2X 1.0 ton RSF312HBEA in each bedrooms. Total price for all the three including installation (hall AC needed extra piping) and exterior AC awnings came slightly under Rs. 1 lakh.

Whenever the filter light comes on, we just wash the indoor unit's filter and its good to go. The hall AC appears to be louder than the bedroom ones, but could be due to the proximity of of the outdoor unit to the window. Service support has been good so far. We contemplated getting extra warranty, but with no complaints till now, decided to skip it. Hitachi gives 1 year warranty on the AC, 5 year on the PCB + compressor.

Typical usage includes 4 hrs per day on 2 ACs. Also noticed that having ceramic tiles that look like wood helps keep the room cooler. My room has those while the folks room and hall has the regular square white tiles - the rooms tend to stay hotter / come to room temperature faster than mine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks