Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2019, 15:46   #6226
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad-hyd View Post
Hi geotracks,
Thank you for your helpful reply. I did not get your PM yet. With the rising temperatures this has become a hot button issue in our house. Could you please post here as it might be helpful to fellow Hyderabadis who might be researching this topic in future? I will use their guidance as well.

So this is a 5 years all inclusive warranty or is it an extended warranty? Does it cover PCB, compressor and all other major components?

Once again thank you,
Prasad
Tried to PM you but got a message that your account is restricted and you were not receiving any PM.

Anyways, for your benefit as well as others who may be interested , you can contact Madhav (mobile: +91 76708-84445) from Mitsubishi Electric, Marketing Office, Hyderabad.

5 years is the standard warranty on the compressor. I do not quite remember, but PCB is probably 1 year warranty. However, you can reconfirm it.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2019 at 08:27. Reason: typo
Old 29th April 2019, 23:43   #6227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have been exploring acs with long throw (high air flow) and found Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to have models in the Fixed Speed as well as Inverter series that can reach upto 18 Meters. They have some in the 2.2 and close to 3T capacity as well. Below is an example but they have many models that you can look at. I am considering a few of their newest models that are due to hit the market in the next week or two.
Thanks! Any pricing clues, specifically the 3 ton model, please revert in case you go for any of it.
While that can help if mounted on the shorter side wall of the area (rectangle), unfortunately my builder has given provision only on the longer sides wall. I am beginning to reconsider the possibility of shifting the point, to the shorter side, as it is not that far from the current location. While the copper piping can be extended (via false ceiling) and electrical point can be shifted, the one challenge I see is connecting the water drainage from the IDU, to the existing drainage provision, on the org. point. I can't drill a hole in the wall to just let it out and can't route it via false ceiling as the relatively small amount of condensed water cannot climb up against gravity.

Options?
Old 30th April 2019, 11:34   #6228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Time to get another split AC. Daikin inverter specs mention power consumption from ~280 to ~880 watt for 1 ton 5 star. Lg specs for similar capacity and rating lists power consumption as ~930 watt. Does it mean Lg will consume at a constant rate of 930 watt? Lg is their dual inverter range.
All Inverter AC vary speed, hence power consumption. It is just that Daikin mentions the range, while LG gives the maximum rating. In my case the LG Dual Inverter varies the power consumption from maximum down to less than 10% of the rated value. It all depends on how hard the AC has to work to cool the room.

On the whole Daikin have the least power consumption, but LG the best after sales and warranty packages. The LG 5 years extended warranty takes care of all parts and labour as well as two services a year.

What you have to bear in mind is that practically every one has had a MB failure in an inverter AC, and when that happens you are out of between 6K and 15K if it is not covered. So in my opinion it is a trade off between marginal power saving and maintenance cost (of the extended warranty).
Old 30th April 2019, 12:01   #6229
BANNED

@ARoy; this is called the turn down ratio. Normally the AC can go into an overdrive. So the turn down ratio is calculated from 100%. Anything more that 5 is considered good.
Old 30th April 2019, 14:10   #6230
BHPian

Folks, I am facing a peculiar problem. I have a 2-ton Voltas Vertis Split AC. When I start it, the ODU-fan/compressor shuts off after 3-5 seconds and never starts again. Indoor unit works for some time & then red and yellow lights start blinking. The PCB, contactor are okay as per the technicians. Suggestions welcome.
Old 30th April 2019, 15:32   #6231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
When I start it, the ODU-fan/compressor shuts off after 3-5 seconds and never starts again.
Has happened to me when the capacitor in the ODU malfunctioned. The symptoms were not exactly the same in my Daikin but ODU failed to start beyond initial 5-10s. It also caused my main board MCB to trip as I saw power consumption shooting up beyond 3000W when the ac is rated at about 1800W.
Old 30th April 2019, 22:18   #6232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Has happened to me when the capacitor in the ODU malfunctioned.
Thanks for your reply. Capacitor was also replaced, but the issue persists. Three guys said contactor needs to be replaced which is wrong diagnosis. One guy said compressor needs to be replaced. I am still searching for a proper diagnosis. Any reliable technician in Pune?
Old 30th April 2019, 23:33   #6233
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I am facing a peculiar problem. I have a 2-ton Voltas Vertis Split AC. When I start it, the ODU-fan/compressor shuts off after 3-5 seconds and never starts again. Indoor unit works for some time & then red and yellow lights start blinking. The PCB, contactor are okay as per the technicians. Suggestions welcome.
All portable ACs are fully hermetical compressors. There is hardly any scope for repairs in such compressors. Before taking a decisions to replace compressors, ask service technician to check following:

- Did they carried out general cleaning of evaporator and condenser ?
- Is AC tripping on low gas or high gas pressure ?
- Ask service person to cheek temperature sensor.
- If above check are done and all fine, then ask service person to replace TEV [Thermostatic expansion valve] as a last resort before going for compressor replacement.
- What are yellow and red light indicates as per instruction manual ?

Venkatesh.H

Last edited by Venkatesh.H : 30th April 2019 at 23:34.
Old 30th April 2019, 23:44   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post
Before taking a decisions to replace compressors, ask service technician to check following:
Thanks for your suggestions. I will have to find a genuine technician in Pune who could trouble shoot as per your points. Most of the guys I have come across are just there to make a quick buck. Pune folks please suggest someone.
Old 1st May 2019, 11:07   #6235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post

- Did they carried out general cleaning of evaporator and condenser ?
- Is AC tripping on low gas or high gas pressure ?
- Ask service person to cheek temperature sensor.
- If above check are done and all fine, then ask service person to replace TEV [Thermostatic expansion valve] as a last resort before going for compressor replacement.
Quote:
Folks, I am facing a peculiar problem. I have a 2-ton Voltas Vertis Split AC. When I start it, the ODU-fan/compressor shuts off after 3-5 seconds and never starts again.
I am surprised why no one had mentioned the fundamental service procedure.
You start with a clamp meter to check the current drawn. This will provide the clue as to where the fault may be. If the current is 150 % or more of the running current from the beginning, swap the capacitors. If still the same situation, your compressor may be faulty. There are other tests to finalize the diagnosis.

Sometimes, the ODU might start shedding the fins due to corrosion etc. In such cases the compressor will start normally and then slowly increase the current until the OLP (over load protector) trips.

Checking the temperature is pointless as the unit shuts down within seconds.
Old 1st May 2019, 11:32   #6236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Checking the temperature is pointless as the unit shuts down within seconds.

Suggestions were made basis less competence of service persons these days, who never held clamp meter in their life time. They have very very limited knowledge in refrigeration cycle and troubleshooting. Max they do is replacing parts without justification.

Checking of temperature sensor is very essential as these sensors are responsible for starting and stopping of AC compressors when desired temperature is achieved. If temperature sensor is defective, then it is bound to run compressor on short cycling, tripping eventually in few seconds and giving indication for many other doubts.

Venkatesh.H

Last edited by Venkatesh.H : 1st May 2019 at 11:33.
Old 1st May 2019, 15:03   #6237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
All Inverter AC vary speed, hence power consumption. It is just that Daikin mentions the range, while LG gives the maximum rating. In my case the LG Dual Inverter varies the power consumption from maximum down to less than 10% of the rated value. It all depends on how hard the AC has to work to cool the room.

On the whole Daikin have the least power consumption, but LG the best after sales and warranty packages. The LG 5 years extended warranty takes care of all parts and labour as well as two services a year.
Thanks Aroy for the response. For same rated capacity - 1 ton - and similar maximum power consumption of approx 980w (for 5 star) LG has a lower minimum cooling capacity. While for Daikin minimum is 50% of rated capacity, for LG it is 15% of rated capacity. So for low to medium cooling loads, the LG machine has potential for better power saving.

For reasons of better power saving and better service, we have settled for LG dual inverter.
Old 1st May 2019, 22:30   #6238
BHPian

A query to AC Experts.
My AC dealer said that some companies reject warranty if we use Stabilizer for inverter AC so I have not connected stabilizers for it.
Yesterday night there was huge thunder/lightning and I'm scared that it might damage my AC. For all other equipment at home stabilizer is present. I do have a bad experience where i lost the solar plant during 2018 thunderstorm (Solar Inverters IC got fried up), though it was fixed for free (warranty replacement) i had to use domestic electricity which burns the pocket (almost 3 weeks due to flood calamity here in Kerala ).

The question is can i use good quality Surge/Spike protector. If yes, which would is recommended.
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:01   #6239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
A query to AC Experts.
My AC dealer said that some companies reject warranty if we use Stabilizer for inverter AC so I have not connected stabilizers for it.

The question is can i use good quality Surge/Spike protector. If yes, which would is recommended.
You can use Belkin Surge Arrester series sockets. Or buy a few MOV ( details in my earlier messages) and fix them.

It is odd that some people claim that there will be no warranty if you don't use a stabilizer and some say that it is the other way.
Old 2nd May 2019, 14:15   #6240
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Thanks Aroy for the response. For same rated capacity - 1 ton - and similar maximum power consumption of approx 980w (for 5 star) LG has a lower minimum cooling capacity. While for Daikin minimum is 50% of rated capacity, for LG it is 15% of rated capacity. So for low to medium cooling loads, the LG machine has potential for better power saving.
I think you misunderstood, Daikin has the lowest power consumption 822 watt for a 1 ton, but daikin can run harder upto 1.1 ton+ for 15 min during which it may consume higher. It can also run at around .3 ton at lowest speed.

Last edited by aim120 : 2nd May 2019 at 14:20.

Most Viewed