Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 19:22   #6091
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Also check for air gaps/ window crevices from where outside air enters the room.
Crevices No crevices. The whole main door is open all the time as that is the only ventilation point.

But now that I'm installing an AC, that will be closed and sealed properly.
Old 7th February 2019, 00:45   #6092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I thought an AC in the office and doors always closed would prevent dust entry. Is it not so?
Oh, well, I didn't think of it like that!

Yes, I guess if you are using AC rather than keeping doors and/or windows open, there will be less dust.
Old 8th February 2019, 11:47   #6093
BHPian

Guys - need some advice for a/c selection. I've listed down a few details below and would appreciate your views. Thank you!

1. City - Hyderabad
2. Floor - Top floor of a 14 floor building
3. A/cs - 5
4. Usage - pretty extensive for 2 a/cs (8-10 hours / day for about 9 months), moderate (2-3 hours / day for 3 months) for 2 a/cs and occasional for 1 a/c
5. Other factors - the builder hasn't provided copper piping and I'm getting quotes of 50-60 K just for this. The piping for 1 a/c would be about 30 feet, but others should be less than 10. Does this sound right?

On another note - any views on the efficacy of thermocol cladding and false ceiling to reduce heat from the ceiling?

Many thanks!
Old 8th February 2019, 18:39   #6094
Distinguished - BHPian

No idea about insulation ability of false ceiling. Maybe you would have to stuff the space above?

But beware of fire risks and choose materials accordingly!
Old 10th February 2019, 17:53   #6095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Guys - need some advice for a/c selection. I've listed down a few details below and would appreciate your views. Thank you!

1. City - Hyderabad
2. Floor - Top floor of a 14 floor building
3. A/cs - 5
4. Usage - pretty extensive for 2 a/cs (8-10 hours / day for about 9 months), moderate (2-3 hours / day for 3 months) for 2 a/cs and occasional for 1 a/c
5. Other factors - the builder hasn't provided copper piping and I'm getting quotes of 50-60 K just for this. The piping for 1 a/c would be about 30 feet, but others should be less than 10. Does this sound right?

On another note - any views on the efficacy of thermocol cladding and false ceiling to reduce heat from the ceiling?

Many thanks!
The total length of piping is then 30' + 4*10' = 70' or around 22m. Normally installers charge less than Rs.500/meter so 22m (say 25m) should be less than 15K. Mind you there are two pipes in a run, and the cost per meter includes both. The installation charges in Delhi are around Rs.1,500/AC so for 5 AC it should be 5K (bulk discount). If the AC are new then they come with gas, else add another 5K for gas. On the whole the installation of 5AC should not be more than Rs, 25K total.

Regarding false ceiling - it will reduce the AC load by
. Reducing the volume to be cooled
. Reducing the heat incursion due to sun shining on the roof

I would suggest that you talk to a few Vendors - LG has excellent service plans and you may get better deals if you discuss your requirements with their engineers. They may suggest a more efficient configuration that what you are contemplating.
Old 10th February 2019, 19:04   #6096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The total length of piping is then 30' + 4*10' = 70' or around 22m.
============
I would suggest that you talk to a few Vendors - LG has excellent service plans and you may get better deals if you discuss your requirements with their engineers. They may suggest a more efficient configuration that what you are contemplating.
Thank you very much for the detailed note. Very helpful indeed in terms of how I negotiate with the guys who have been trying to rip me off.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 08:10. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 10th February 2019, 22:39   #6097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No idea about insulation ability of false ceiling. Maybe you would have to stuff the space above?

But beware of fire risks and choose materials accordingly!
Overdeck insulation would be ideal because it blocks heat before it reaches roof slab. Extruded polystyrene sheets are a good option. However there might be constraints in installing on an already constructed house. So underdeck installation (inside the house, on the underside of roof slab) of insulation sheet will still help a lot. Then make false ceiling to hide it all.
Old 11th February 2019, 13:17   #6098
BHPian

Thank you. I'm wondering if there's a possibility of thermocol emitting hazardous gases while being subjected to constant heat of over 50 degrees.

The builder says they have installed clay tiles above the normal tiles on the roof. But then again, no way to verify this.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:41   #6099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Thank you. I'm wondering if there's a possibility of thermocol emitting hazardous gases while being subjected to constant heat of over 50 degrees.

The builder says they have installed clay tiles above the normal tiles on the roof. But then again, no way to verify this.
That may well be a possibility. In my limited experience, the difference between a false ceiling made out of thermocol sheets and normal ceiling is not much. During the last summer, this is what I found:
Room with thermocol sheet in false ceiling : 97 degree F /36 degree C
Normal Room next to the first room : 91.3 degree F /32 degree C

I had the terrace painted with white - heat reflecting coat.

Ceiling done with Plaster of Paris provides a better heat insulation. But a builder told me you get latest fiber based sheets impregnated with synthetic material which are fire proof and with lowest thermal conduction properties these days.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th April 2019 at 08:10. Reason: line spacing for better readability
Old 12th February 2019, 10:04   #6100
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions on a Multi A/C for an apartment? I have converted a small bedroom balcony (1.5 m X 1.5 m) into a home office.
Would like to install a multi A/C for the bedroom so that the small balcony can run on a separate wall A/C powered by the same bedroom A/C.
I do not have space to accommodate an A/C unit on the balcony as it is now closed.
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:35   #6101
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need to buy some A/Cs for my friend's home and am thoroughly confused between Inverter or non-inverter.
From what i've gathered so far :
It appears that the PCBs of Inverter A/Cs are prone to giving trouble and when they do they cannot be repaired. They have to be replaced at considerable cost.
Is this still true ? What's the latest consensus ?
Old 24th February 2019, 12:55   #6102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi Guys,

Need to buy some A/Cs for my friend's home and am thoroughly confused between Inverter or non-inverter.
From what i've gathered so far :
It appears that the PCBs of Inverter A/Cs are prone to giving trouble and when they do they cannot be repaired. They have to be replaced at considerable cost.
Is this still true ? What's the latest consensus ?
. Most AC in the market have a PCB (even my 10 year old Hitachi Window has one).
. PCB in an inverter AC is just a bit more complicated.
. All PCB can fail in case the voltages fluctuate a lot or exceed a threshold.
. The only AC that have no PCB are the old style mechanical AC that use elctro-mechanical controls for all functions. But that is old technology and these AC consume a lot more electricity than modern inverter AC.

In a nutshell if your PCB is not covered under extended warranty, then a failure can set you back quite a lot.

In my opinion, if your running is a lot - more than 8 hours a day, more than 3 months a year, then 5 star inverter AC can save you quite a lot. Further inverter AC are designed to run continuously, so the comfort in room is much better.

LG along with a few other manufacturers offer comprehensive extended warranty, which includes labour, service and all but a few rubber components, So I would suggest that you get an inverter AC with a comprehensive extended warranty for 5 years.

One thing to note is that in the current economic climate, white goods are not selling as expected by manufacturers, so there are plenty of deals available which can reduce your acquisition cost by upto 40% off the MRP. For example last year I bought an LG 5 star dual inverter AC; which had an MRP of 59,000/ + 1,500 for installation; through PAYTM. After all the cashback (PAYTM and ICICI), my cost was around 34K. All you have to do is to scan the net for current deals and wait till a lucrative one comes your way.
Old 24th February 2019, 15:23   #6103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Replacing my 10 yr old LG-Split, I got an excellent deal at Croma on Voltas 1.5T inverter, 3 star AC with 5 yrs comprehensive warranty and which includes gas refill in case of discharge and 10 yrs on compressor. Comes with R410a gas.

- MRP: 5599
- Final price after discount, cashback etc: 31450.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a trouble free experience.

Mod Note: Request to please avoid SMS like language and formatting.
What was the model number ?
Old 24th February 2019, 22:16   #6104
BHPian

Voltas Model # 184V SZS(R-410a) sprint
Old 1st March 2019, 11:06   #6105
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Noob electricals question.
Our Daikin split AC stopped working earlier this week and the diagnosis is that main boards of both indoor and outdoor units have gone bust. We had a power surge few days ago but the AC wasn't being operated at the time though the wall socket's switch was ON. Connection is from wall socket to V-Guard stabilizer to AC indoor unit. Wondering why the stabilizer didn't cut off output to the AC during the surge ? What could be a possible solution to avoid this in future ? (The circuit also has a MCB)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks