Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2018, 08:52   #5956
BANNED

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

My 2TR General is having serious problems. It conked out due to a voltage surge. So far they have not been able to fix it. They tried for two hours yesterday, but no lock.

Also, the Hitachi 1.5TR is the other bedroom conked out. Almost, certainly a control board malfunction, second within a forthnight. In this heat having become fed up with the Hitachi, and not having any functional AC in either of the bedrooms. I ordered a 1.5TR Panasonic Inverter. Non-inverter models were not available in R410A. Only R22. My dealer managed to supply it on the same day, and also install it.Seems to be doing well. I also added a stabilizer, even though I found the voltage hovering between 225 and 248V overnight. What surprises me is the 3* rating. Let us see how it goes. Total damages 41,000 incl installation plus 4000 for the V Guard Stabilizer.
Old 7th July 2018, 09:47   #5957
Distinguished - BHPian

More than stabilizer surge protector MCB are needed with low voltage cut off. Are there such products in market? For our three phase machines we have something.
Old 7th July 2018, 11:26   #5958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My 2TR General is having serious problems. It conked out due to a voltage surge. So far they have not been able to fix it. They tried for two hours yesterday, but no lock.

Also, the Hitachi 1.5TR is the other bedroom conked out. Almost, certainly a control board malfunction, second within a forthnight. In this heat having become fed up with the Hitachi, and not having any functional AC in either of the bedrooms. I ordered a 1.5TR Panasonic Inverter. Non-inverter models were not available in R410A. Only R22. My dealer managed to supply it on the same day, and also install it.Seems to be doing well. I also added a stabilizer, even though I found the voltage hovering between 225 and 248V overnight. What surprises me is the 3* rating. Let us see how it goes. Total damages 41,000 incl installation plus 4000 for the V Guard Stabilizer.
My son's Generals have been giving him MB problems in Mumbai - a city where black outs and power surges are almost unknown. That and problems with my Hitachi service, has prompted me to search for a brand that has excellent service. It does not matter if the AC is average in terms of performance and gizmos, what matters is excellent service.

My meter shows voltage of between 235 and 245 in the three phases. I assume that when there is a slight surge (due to lowering of load) it would shoot up further. In spite of that none of my AC's have had any power related problems. In fact barring the Daikin Inverter; where the dealer insisted on stabilizer for warranty purpose; none of the AC have a stabilizer.

As conveyed by other forum members, constant MB problem in current AC's is what prompted me to get a 5 Star, Stabilizer Free AC. Most of the brands have them. I chose LG because of their all inclusive warranty - labour, parts and gas and with 4 years extended warranty, which comes with two wet services every year free, I will have a relatively hassle free ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
More than stabilizer surge protector MCB are needed with low voltage cut off. Are there such products in market? For our three phase machines we have something.
Yes there are, but most of them are quite expensive

https://electronics.howstuffworks.co...protector1.htm

https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Plug-16A...f-71952fa75d35

https://www.havells.com/en/consumer/...on-device.html

https://www.schneider-electric.co.in...st-home-office

http://www.eaton.in/Eaton/ProductsSe...Home/index.htm

Last edited by Eddy : 7th July 2018 at 12:06. Reason: Merged
Old 7th September 2018, 14:44   #5959
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, so it's New AC Day.

I am not going to pump any more money into repairing our second-hand mix'n'match. It was a great answer to getting an AC when capital was low. Now it is like keeping an old car going. Also, it really sucks... electricity. On a recent no-power day, I noticed that the 1.5 ton Daikin was drawing 1.5kva from the generator, but the 2 ton mix was pulling 4.5.

So today will go to nearby Clima Cool in Chennai.

Don't actually know what I'll buy! I'm very impressed with the Mitsubishi we got from them for the second bedroom.

For once not short of funds! Able to shop for luxury . Intending to go for five-Star inverter. This machine gets as much as 16 hours use a day quite regularly.

The room is about 300 sq ft (by 10 for cubic). Has always had 2 ton, but I think less might do. But am inverter machine will only run what it needs anyway.
Old 7th September 2018, 20:41   #5960
Distinguished - BHPian

Deed Done.

2.2 ton Mitsubishi 5 Star inverter. 77k.
Old 8th September 2018, 22:25   #5961
BHPian

Greetings to all;

- I am looking to purchase two 1.5 ton Inverter A/Cs (window) for bedroom use. Objective is to minimize electricity consumption and use for maximum possible period.

- However, from a brief look online, I did not see this combination anywhere(inverter + 1.5T + window).
Except https://www.myvoltas.com/voltas-wac-inverter-185v-dza
Also, did not even see window A/Cs listed on Daikin website.

- My family and I have the opinion of split units requiring more maintenance? ( water seeping down, gas/pipe leakage etc.)
Although I think this a thing of the past?; kind of like saying automatic cars are high maintenance in 2018
Old 8th September 2018, 23:16   #5962
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends on how long the walk from the inside unit to the outside unit is? I can't see any other reason for that point of view.

Others say that split units are harder to install. They need one small hole, whereas window units screw up a whole window frame.

Perhaps Window units might win on potential gas leakage? But remember, it isn't the length of the pipe, it is the quality of the joints that counts, which, I suppose, gives installers a bigger chance to screw up splits under this heading.

Splits are quieter, and, to me, altogether nicer than window dinosaurs.
Old 9th September 2018, 07:35   #5963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.......Splits are quieter, and, to me, altogether nicer than window dinosaurs...

Absolutely agree with that.

I had four Hitachi twin motor window ac (2-4 years old). Replaced all this year with 2 MSY-GN15 Mitsubishi Electric 1.2 Ton 5 star split and 2 ASGG14CGTA 1.2 Ton 5 star split. Installation was super easy. Units came prefilled with gas - so no hanky panky from installer/dealer side. And i feel blessed. The General units remote have even 0.5 degree temperature adjustment steps.

Only negative point is that, unlike Hitachi, remotes are not back lit - perhaps that little wattage is also counted for star rating!

Almost silent performance (20-24 decibel) AND electricity bill reduced to half. Of course, windows have new horizon as well.

Every time i look at split indoor units i feel remorse to have subjected my family to the noisy window beasts.

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 9th September 2018 at 07:39.
Old 9th September 2018, 14:27   #5964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Greetings to all;

- I am looking to purchase two 1.5 ton Inverter A/Cs (window) for bedroom use. Objective is to minimize electricity consumption and use for maximum possible period.

- However, from a brief look online, I did not see this combination anywhere(inverter + 1.5T + window).
Except https://www.myvoltas.com/voltas-wac-inverter-185v-dza
Also, did not even see window A/Cs listed on Daikin website.

- My family and I have the opinion of split units requiring more maintenance? ( water seeping down, gas/pipe leakage etc.)
Although I think this a thing of the past?; kind of like saying automatic cars are high maintenance in 2018
I have had splits and window AC for ages. The only advantage of window AC is that if you have the same tonnage and manufacturer, you can switch a bad unit with a good one in dire case.

Otherwise the split AC are more efficient, super silent and do not occupy window space (which in modern flats is at a premium).

I have a Hitachi (10+) and Daikin (5+) old. Recently I got an LG 1.5T 5 star inverter (got a fabulous deal on PayTM). What I liked of LG is
. Installation was hassle free
. The AC is silent, and has power settings so that when necessary you run it at 80%, 60% or 40%, reducing consumption of power.
. LG has an extended Warranty/AMC, where they bear cost of all parts (including MB and other electronics) and labour (and two wet service a year) for around 15K for 5 years. That is a steal in today's market.

More over the latest 5 star units are stabiliser free, as they run from 145V to 290V, so that is one expenditure less and one head ache less.
Old 9th September 2018, 14:51   #5965
Distinguished - BHPian

If I'd known General has half-degree steps I might have seriously considered that but I considered Mitsubishi/Daikin.

Oh well, there's always something that gets missed and my new Mitsubishi is here waiting for installation tomorrow. Which makes our AC score

Daikin (2nd-hand) 1 : Mitsubishi (new) 2
Old 10th September 2018, 07:34   #5966
BANNED

This year I ran into a crisis, the General in our bedroom blew the card, while the control board of the Hitachi Window also gave up the ghost. As our experience with the Hitachi was not good and it had hit five years I decided to replace the latter. Got an Inverter Panasonic. I must say I am quite pleasantly surprised. As for the General it was having an icing problem. We found a local who diagnosed that the vanes were installed the wrong way. He set them right and our woes vanished.
Old 10th September 2018, 09:43   #5967
BHPian

WE have had Windows ACs and Split ACs for ages. I still have a Windows unit working in the office. Windows units may be noisy but they deliver focused cooling where needed partly because they are usually positioned at the head level. They can be serviced easily by the owners themselves. They run for years without needing a wet service most of the time.

The cooling is not subjective. I have taken readings at the grill: Windows AC has 3 degree C at the grill while a similar rated Split unit has 8 degrees C at the grill under similar load conditions. You could see that a split cools uniformly across the room whereas a Windows may tend to have hot and cold pockets of regions.

For sensitive electronics, you should consider Whole House Surge Protection Devices at the mains as well as at the socket. I live in coastal Madras where lightening strikes are common. We used to get fried Routers, NIC and other electronics. I ended up fitting these SPDs and hopefully they should protect every piece of equipment downstream.
Old 10th September 2018, 20:29   #5968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
WE have had Windows ACs and Split ACs for ages. I still have a Windows unit working in the office. Windows units may be noisy but they deliver focused cooling where needed partly because they are usually positioned at the head level.
Prowler, do you really have a Microsoft AC? (Windows with a capital W!)

Excuse the joke. Seriously...

I was going to mention this positioning as one of the cons, rather than pros of a window AC. Cold air falls, so better it comes from high up to cool the whole room. Maybe it is not essential that such a unit be fitted in the lower part of a window frame, but, by custom, they usually are.

But, in the end, it is one of those if it works for you things. What works for any individual is always the right choice... for them.

My new Mitsubishi was installed today. I could not be here for the installation, due to an emergency with dog-injured cats. I am a bit disappointed that they have put the indoor unit on a slight slope (1/4 inch from side to side). They gave me some nonsense about helping the water to drain, but the previous guys did the job with a spirit level.

Anyway, it is working extremely well.

The sales lady called the company about the size of our room (28*11*10) and they said that we needed two times 1.5 ton. Actually, I had been thinking of getting the 1.9-ton model, as even an old 2-ton had always been more than sufficient. Anyway, at a substantial price increment, I bought the 2.2-ton Mitsubishi inverter. MSN-GY26. The remote is on 26, and I am getting 25.7C at my desk 30 feet away.

If we were people wanting 19 or 20C, then perhaps it would not have the umph for that, but we never did and we never will.
Old 11th September 2018, 12:07   #5969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Prowler, do you really have a Microsoft AC? (Windows with a capital W!)

Excuse the joke. Seriously...

I was going to mention this positioning as one of the cons, rather than pros of a window AC. Cold air falls, so better it comes from high up to cool the whole room. Maybe it is not essential that such a unit be fitted in the lower part of a window frame, but, by custom, they usually are.
Best wishes for your new AC.

I realized my faux pas when I saw your joke about Windows. I shouldn't have used 'Windows' when I meant 'windows' .
I have noticed in many small shops, establishments and offices where there is considerable footfall, they use a windows AC so that the personnel sitting behind the counters are cooled regardless of the number of times the doors are opened.
Anyway my intention was just to point out the differences in ACs.
Old 11th September 2018, 17:13   #5970
Distinguished - BHPian

You provided a valid point of view. I agree that it is a good personal reason for purchase.

My 2.2 tonner... Well, I should have saved 17k and got the 1.9. This one is actually too powerful! It is a Monster AC!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks