Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2018, 13:44   #5881
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whoa! How to deal with the heat generated by the kitchen? Probably you have chimney, which will help, but not remove all the heat.
The best way to deal with kitchen heat is to minimise it's generation. In Delhi, we have totally stopped using gas for cooking for the past few years. We use induction which generates almost no heat at all. This keeps the kitchen much much cooler and you can run fans and an ac without blowing out the gas flame. Secondly, during extreme summer months, we try to cook things that are quick to prepare or even better, dishes that require no heating at all. Now-a-days we are horrified to see how hot other people's kitchens are as they seem totally unbearable to us after getting used to induction cooking.
Old 3rd June 2018, 14:47   #5882
Distinguished - BHPian

Good thinking, Lobogris
Old 3rd June 2018, 22:49   #5883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Ok - so it's been a month and a half & this is working well. The room is 170 odd feet, but 1 Ton seems to be more than enough for my usage. Everything seems to be good as of now.
We just finished installing a Daikin 1.0 ton split inverter in our 170 sqft bedroom. It works sufficiently to cool the room in Delhi heat. I put it on lowest fan speed and it still cools enough. Previously we had a 1.5 ton in this room.

It should be noted that 1.0 ton AC for this size of room is not the norm. Our bedroom has direct exposed wall only on the north. There is large glass area on this wall but we hang very heavy blackout curtain on it. Moreover it is not top floor. So heat gain in this room is comparatively low.
Old 6th June 2018, 15:23   #5884
Senior - BHPian

Daikin's top of the line JTKJ 1.5 ton unit arrived today morning. Its supposed to be the best they have yet I'm not sure of the 4-5k price difference compared to their FTKF and FTKG units because specs looks all the same.

FTKF is the most efficient 1.5 ton unit in the market across all brands yet its priced lower to JTKJ.

JTKJ has some patented steamer discharge and infrared sensor, is this the reason for higher price?
Old 7th June 2018, 11:30   #5885
BHPian

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Hi Guys,

The Daikin AC which I complained about couple of posts before is giving me sleepless nights. We bought two Daikin 1.5 ton inverter ACs in March. One was installed at my brother's office and one at my home. We did not run The one in the office till may mid because of some construction work. The one at my place is being used since mid April. Both the ACs have an issue that they keep on tripping. For the one in the office the Engeenier came discharged and recharged the gas twice but the compressor was still cutting off without cooling the engineer suggested PCB replacement and we denied and he said he will try to push for replacement. The one at my home is even worse. It doesn't have any specific pattern for compressor cutting off. So far I have had 5 visits from Daikin technicians. Out of these on the last one the technician from Daikin itself visited. O one of the previous visits the technician had discharged gas from the unit stating there was access gas. So on last visit they discharged entire gas and recharged. The AC did not cut off in front of technician. He left stating that there was a loose connection and he has fixed it and has also recharged the gas and it would work now but unfortunately it doesn't. I woke up today morning since it was too hot in the room and the AC was not cooling. Restarted still didn't cool. Restated again started cooling again but cut off in about 5 minutes. Tried again same thing. But it's been over 2 hours since then it did not cut off. I am frustrated and very disappointed with the purchase. Not sure what I am supposed to do here. I am afraid it will again not trip in front of him and I will have to keep going back and forth on this issue. 😕

Last edited by nik0502 : 7th June 2018 at 11:34.
Old 7th June 2018, 12:21   #5886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I am afraid it will again not trip in front of him and I will have to keep going back and forth on this issue. 😕
nik0502 try installing a energy meter or logger that will show you trends of power usage. For my acs I am using a wireless device that shows daily power consumption. You can try and find a device that shows you more granular information by hour. This is the product I use http://ewelink.coolkit.cc/?p=188
Old 7th June 2018, 13:11   #5887
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Daikin's top of the line JTKJ 1.5 ton unit arrived today morning. Its supposed to be the best they have yet I'm not sure of the 4-5k price difference compared to their FTKF and FTKG units because specs looks all the same.

FTKF is the most efficient 1.5 ton unit in the market across all brands yet its priced lower to JTKJ.

JTKJ has some patented steamer discharge and infrared sensor, is this the reason for higher price?
JTKJ appears to be a rebadged JTKM that I have which is a 2017 model.
Both JTKJ,JTKM have lower power consumption 744 units/annum vs FTKF 767units/annum.
FTKF also has lower cooling capacity 20472 vs 20500 for the JTKJ/JTKM

But FTKF Indoor unit blower throws more air 16.6 m3/min but louder vs 14.5 m3/min for JTKJ/JTKM

FTKF remote is also basic does not appear to have backlight and also the Indoor unit doesn't have a display.
JTKJ/JTKM has a backlight remote and Indoor unit has a display which shows the Room temperature, set temperature and compressor load in percentage.
Old 7th June 2018, 20:19   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

I woke up today morning since it was too hot in the room and the AC was not cooling. Restarted still didn't cool. Restated again started cooling again but cut off in about 5 minutes. Tried again same thing. But it's been over 2 hours since then it did not cut off. I am frustrated and very disappointed with the purchase. Not sure what I am supposed to do here. I am afraid it will again not trip in front of him and I will have to keep going back and forth on this issue. 😕
My three year old Daikin Inverter had similar problem, except that while switching it on, the front flap would open and then close. On inspection I found that
. The Green light was blinking
. The fan was not working

The thing is that this started a month back, and most of the time the AC would start, but once in a while it would not.

My son finally diagnosed it to
. When the power switches off momentarily and comes back, an error code is set
. The error code results in the Green light blinking
. With this error code the Ac does not start - it will open the flap, start blinking and close the flap

SOLUTION
Reset the AC by switching the supply. In our case that meant disconnecting the Stabiliser, for one or two minutes. That is why it never acts up after a scheduled power cut, but does so when the power blips for a few seconds.

This is a known problem with Daikin Inverter AC, and you have to live with it, unless you install a dedicated UPS for the AC.
Old 7th June 2018, 23:53   #5889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
SOLUTION
Reset the AC by switching the supply. In our case that meant disconnecting the Stabiliser, for one or two minutes.
Its crazy that the service guys don't know this. Good find. The sonoff pow device I linked earlier has a schedule capability by which we can turn off and turn on the ac power at specific times. So one can setup schedules to do this every half hour. This may help as a backup solution as an automation.
Old 8th June 2018, 10:32   #5890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Its crazy that the service guys don't know this. Good find. The sonoff pow device I linked earlier has a schedule capability by which we can turn off and turn on the ac power at specific times. So one can setup schedules to do this every half hour. This may help as a backup solution as an automation.
Every year the manufacturers bring out new models which have more electronics than the previous one (and/or added software features). This is quite similar to IT Industry. You have to keep abreast with all the new features, else you will soon be out dated and out of job.

At the service engineer for home systems level, keeping abreast with all new features; and quirks; is quite difficult, unless an individual is extremely motivated.

Time has come, when you will have to keep abreast with the detailed specifications and quirks of what ever you buy, if you want to get the best out of your gadget. That is why now a days my sons and I go through detailed specifications, internet reviews and owners forums, before deciding on a new purchase.

OT
Our six years old Hitachi 5 star window has started developing fan motor problem. As it is a unique (no one has used it since, including Hitachi) BLDC, we decided to go for a new system. Going through reams of reviews and user forum reviews as well as all offer we honed down to LG 5 star double inverter AC. Now here comes the best part

MODEL : JS-Q18ZUZD
MRP : Rs. 63990./
PAYTM : Rs. 43,845/
CASHBACK : Rs. 5,700/
ICICI CASHBACK : Rs.2,500/
FREE STABILIZER : Rs. 1,800/ (I am selling this off)
INSTALLATION : FREE (499 standard)

So in effect a Rs 64.5K AC including installation charges will cost me Rs.33,845/. A few years ago when I got Daikin 5 star inverter I paid 65K including installation!

Now I really cannot fathom out the economics of PAYtm, but after a lot of research I get a deal that is at least 10K less than any one else.
Old 8th June 2018, 13:04   #5891
Senior - BHPian

Got a 1.5T window AC from Carrier for our drawing room. This is our 3rd carrier in 2 years. One 5* window in my parents room and a 5* split in mine. Performance has been good. Though my parents AC had a gas leak recently and we had to pay 2k for gas refill. Cooling is quite good.
Didn't opt for a 5* as this AC will run barely 3-4 hours a day and sometimes none.
Model- 18k Estrella pro
AC Cost- 26k (in market it's 29k but we know the distributor so the discount)
Stabiliser - 2800
Installation- 500.
Voltas with same configuration was costing 24k but as our experience with Carrier has been good so far and their is No issue with Service availability we opted for this.
Will review the performance after couple of months of use.
Old 8th June 2018, 16:38   #5892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My three year old Daikin Inverter had similar problem, except that while switching it on, the front flap would open and then close. On inspection I found that
. The Green light was blinking
. The fan was not working

... ... ...

This is a known problem with Daikin Inverter AC, and you have to live with it, unless you install a dedicated UPS for the AC.
Our maybe-three (bought second-hand) Daikin does not have this problem. Maybe it's too old!
Old 9th June 2018, 11:51   #5893
Senior - BHPian

I must say, that e-commerce has upped its ante.

Ordered AC from PAYTM at around 2000hrs on 6th.
Got delivery at 1600hrs on 7th
Installed by 2000hrs on 8th.

The installation was quite lengthy. They came at 1415 as promised, but had no core cutter. Wasted an hour getting it. Then took an hour cutting a 3 inch hole in 11 inch brick wall.

After that it was quite fast. Vacuuming took half an hour as did leak test. I was impressed by the professionalism of LG installers. They had correct tools and used a spirit level extensively while installing the IDU. Even for the wall mounting bracket they aligned the bracket using a level.

Modern splits come with gas pre filled and the connectors on ODU are three way - one for pipe, one for charging gas and an allen key operated valve to connect ODU to IDU. , so after vacuuming the line from ODU to IDU, all that they had to do was to open the line and test for leaks.

The LG Split is a double inverter model and is whisper quiet. Even the ODU makes hardly any noise. Best is that this is a wide voltage range model works so no need for any stabiliser. Compared to the Daikin we have it is way ahead.
Old 9th June 2018, 13:00   #5894
Senior - BHPian

LG has upped its ante as far as the AC market goes. I got to know they have restricted manufacturing fixed speed compressor split ACs and are concentrating on Inverters only. Their earlier split inverters came with aluminium condensors, but the later ones have started coming with copper.

I liked that their ACs are quiet and do the job well. Backed by good service network.
The only reason why I went for Daikin for my recent purchase was the Japanese brand and the fact that it is perceived to be premium compared to LG.

LG models with similar specs were costing similar to what I got the Daikin for, so the choice for me was clear.

Last edited by hrman : 9th June 2018 at 13:01.
Old 9th June 2018, 14:05   #5895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was impressed by the professionalism of LG installers. They had correct tools and used a spirit level extensively while installing the IDU. Even for the wall mounting bracket they aligned the bracket using a level.

I was amazed that the installers of our Hitachi had, and used, a spirit level. With the exception of masons using water-in-a-tube, I don't think I have ever seen workers come equipped with one before! They look at mine with vague recognition and understanding of its purpose, but they certainly don't carry one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks