Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2018, 10:39   #5791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Looks pretty cool, what is the app you use along with the IR blaster ?
And can the app be configured to use multiple devices ?
There was a native app that came with the device but couldn't find it on the app store yesterday. Downloaded another called RemoteMaster and it worked as well. Can use this for all devices. I tried it with my Daikin, LG TV and Bose Cinemate and it worked fine for the basic functions. It couldn't work with my DishTV Arion set top box, though it is listed as a supported model. My device also works only on ios though.
Old 10th May 2018, 12:24   #5792
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Just moved to Kolkata and planning to get an ac installed. Looking at a 1.5T model given the size of the bedroom. Also hit upon the idea of renting one given that in my job, not sure how long the stay would be. Anybody with an experiencing of renting one, especially in Kolkata where you do not have the new age outfits like Furlenco etc?

In case if I have to purchase, I am tilting in favor of a split as spending some time on this thread indicates that split is more versatile if one is moving around quite a bit, since not every apartment may have a suitable window outlet. Are reinstallations (lets say once every 1-2 years) costly and damage a split unit? Not looking at inverter models as want to keep purchase (<35k) and repair costs in check. Any suggestions on make and model?
Old 10th May 2018, 13:04   #5793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You should get a IR blaster and use an app on your smart phone.
My OnePlus X doesn't seem to be having an IR Blaster. The pic you showed looks like a device which goes into the 3.5 mm audio jack. If someone has bought one for an Android phone recently, can you please leave a link?

There's a lot of information out on the web on apps to use, but not too much on the hardware part.
Old 10th May 2018, 13:47   #5794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Just moved to Kolkata and planning to get an ac installed. Looking at a 1.5T model given the size of the bedroom. Also hit upon the idea of renting one given that in my job, not sure how long the stay would be. Anybody with an experiencing of renting one, especially in Kolkata where you do not have the new age outfits like Furlenco etc?

In case if I have to purchase, I am tilting in favor of a split as spending some time on this thread indicates that split is more versatile if one is moving around quite a bit, since not every apartment may have a suitable window outlet. Are reinstallations (lets say once every 1-2 years) costly and damage a split unit? Not looking at inverter models as want to keep purchase (<35k) and repair costs in check. Any suggestions on make and model?
Splits are best for cooling, but beware that every time you shift a Split, you will entail and expenditure of around Rs.2,000/.

Most apartments in Kolkata will have space for window AC, so I suggest you stick to a window AC. As you are not sure of the tenure, get an inexpensive 3 star window, for around 20K. The cost of repairs of a 5 star AC are not worth it if you do not run it for long duration, and i do not think that an AC in Kolkata will run even half the hours it does in Delhi.
Old 10th May 2018, 15:38   #5795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most apartments in Kolkata will have space for window AC, so I suggest you stick to a window AC. As you are not sure of the tenure, get an inexpensive 3 star window, for around 20K. The cost of repairs of a 5 star AC are not worth it if you do not run it for long duration, and i do not think that an AC in Kolkata will run even half the hours it does in Delhi.
Thanks for your prompt response. Can you please suggest an option each for Window and split in the 1.5T space? Not looking for any fancy features, cooling is the only requirement, should have good after sales service in Kolkata. It would be great if you could specify the model in addition to the make.
Also, should there be an issue which cannot be fixed onsite and the unit is to be taken to the service centre, does the company pay for uninstall+reinstall+transportation? I suppose this question is relevant for split rather than window.
Old 10th May 2018, 15:57   #5796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

There's a lot of information out on the web on apps to use, but not too much on the hardware part.
I have not used them but here is the link for the hardware.

https://www.amazon.in/Anima-3-5mm-Au.../dp/B074686LPL : reviews are not great for this product.

However looks like the IR blaster can be a DIY . Check this link for detailed instructions.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...an-IR-Blaster/

I will try this DIY this weekend or next and see if it works.

Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 21:06   #5797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Thanks for your prompt response. Can you please suggest an option each for Window and split in the 1.5T space? Not looking for any fancy features, cooling is the only requirement, should have good after sales service in Kolkata. It would be great if you could specify the model in addition to the make.
Also, should there be an issue which cannot be fixed onsite and the unit is to be taken to the service centre, does the company pay for uninstall+reinstall+transportation? I suppose this question is relevant for split rather than window.
I have not much experience with Kolkata, but you can get feedback from locals.

1. If you run the AC for about 8 hours every night, then the cheapest LG will d. some thing like this
https://www.amazon.in/LG-Electronics...dow+ac+1.5+ton
The reason is that the premium for a 5 Star AC is not worth it, unless you ryn it a lot, say 18 hours/day for 8 months a year.

2. I would not recommend a split as you say you may move anytime.

3. The most compelling reason for window AC is that if you have more than one of the same model, they are easily interchageable. At our home we have two Hitachi window AC and a couple of times when our bedroom AC developed trouble, we just switched it with one in spare bedroom.

4. When ever they take AC for repairs to service centre, they will charge for the transport, Varies from Rs.500 to Rs.1000. For split, they will also charge for the gas - another thousand rupees or so.
Old 11th May 2018, 11:26   #5798
BANNED

@hothatchaway; Just remember the ratings have been revised this year. So what was 5* till last year, may now be 3*. So just check what ratings are there on the one you are considering.
Old 11th May 2018, 12:25   #5799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have not much experience with Kolkata, but you can get feedback from locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@hothatchaway; Just remember the ratings have been revised this year. So what was 5* till last year, may now be 3*. So just check what ratings are there on the one you are considering.

Thanks gents for your input
Old 15th May 2018, 10:50   #5800
BHPian

Friends, I need an advice. I am based out Delhi/NCT. I am looking for a window AC for my bedroom. Our room is located on third floor and above it there is open rooftop. The room is exposed to sun from two sides and roof. In evening when we reach home, we have to switch on AC atleast 2 -3 hours in advance before going to bed. Currently it has Hitachi Summer Cool Plus 1.5TR installed. I am quite happy with my existing Hitachi, but their service quality sucks. Their service engineers do not handle the equipment with care, whenever they are at my home for service. I have shortlisted three window ACs. I need your advice to select the one .
  1. Hitachi Summer TM (1.5TR): https://www.jci-hitachi.in/productdetail/Summer-TM
  2. LG: http://www.lg.com/in/window-ac/lg-JW-Q18WUZA
  3. O'General: https://www.generalindia.com/index.p...b-1-5-ton.html
Old 15th May 2018, 12:04   #5801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
Friends, I need an advice. I am based out Delhi/NCT. I am looking for a window AC for my bedroom. Our room is located on third floor and above it there is open rooftop. The room is exposed to sun from two sides and roof. In evening when we reach home, we have to switch on AC atleast 2 -3 hours in advance before going to bed. Currently it has Hitachi Summer Cool Plus 1.5TR installed. I am quite happy with my existing Hitachi, but their service quality sucks. Their service engineers do not handle the equipment with care, whenever they are at my home for service. I have shortlisted three window ACs. I need your advice to select the one .
  1. Hitachi Summer TM (1.5TR): https://www.jci-hitachi.in/productdetail/Summer-TM
Even in my case, the Hitachi Window AC is in a room where the sun shines from three sides.

For six years we had Hitachi service the Ac's(we have three), but for the last three years I have switched to a local AC service person. The service is similar to Hitachi (you have to tell them to open and clean every corner of the AC), but the price is one third. On the whole I find that unless there is a warranty problem, the Manufacturer's mechanics are as bad as the local ones. The really good service experience is with those that come from the Industrial Group - multi split, VRF etc. They are a class apart but sadly are not available for smaller split and window AC's.

My experience with High End inverter AC is quite bad, as my son's MB blew in Mumbai, and General charged 10K for repair. Actually if you calculate the whole life cost (Capital, Maintenance and Electricity) a 2/3 start AC at half the initial cost is the most economic AC over a 10 year span. An old style "Local" AC with all mechanical controls (no remote!) is even cheaper to buy and maintain.

So if your requirement is only for 10-12 hours at night, get the least expensive 1.5T window AC.

Last edited by Aroy : 15th May 2018 at 12:09.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:26   #5802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
First off I would suggest that you get a higher TR rated AC than 1.5 as it is taking too long to cool the room!
Second suggestion which is very helpful (I have done it in my own home too) is to coat the rooftop with white enamel paint or any other sun reflective paint) - this will reduce your in room temperature by 3-4 degrees in the day. In our bedroom this reduced the daytime peak temperature from 37 to 33 and actually works well. This will also help reduce the load on the AC.
Third aspect (though costly) is to add a false ceiling to your room. This reduces the air conditioning volume of the room and also adds an insulating layer of air above the false ceiling.
On the AC I would recommend any good 3 star (2018) ac from Panasonic or General for window ACs with at least a 2 TR for the room as 1.5 TR ac is not cooling effectively for you.
Old 15th May 2018, 16:00   #5803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
First off .....
Thank you Behemoth for your suggestions, but I wish if could have followed any of these. I am in rented space and dont think I will be able to request the landlord for any of these suggestion. I am absolutely with you, 2TR is the minimum requirement for this room. But again being into rented space, I am not sure if in the next pitstop this 2TR AC will become oversize. I have heard O'General is spot on in its performance, but doesnt have other cool features what Hitachi has. Secondly I was wondering why shouldn't I go for 5 star rating appliances, atleast at the back of my mind I will presume that my AC bill would be less.
Among the shortlisted ones, I would request of you or any friend can help in investing in this expense .
Old 15th May 2018, 16:48   #5804
mxh
BHPian

You definitely need to up the tonnage as behemoth suggested. No amount of stars will make up for a lack of tonnage.
Old 16th May 2018, 01:41   #5805
BHPian

Came home tonight to realize that my bedroom Daikin was not cooling. Checked my wifi switch monitor and realized the compressor when starting was drawing power way above the normal 1700w and kept rising till 3500w and finally turning off. I then went to my main board meter and saw the amps going upto 30+ and then dropping down to a normal amount when the compressor was switching off. I removed the stabilizer and noticed the same issue. Then I replaced my wifi switch and still the same problem. Finally gave up and moved to my study to get some sleep. Have texted my ac technician to try and come tomorrow. Any idea what could be wrong? Busted capacitor?

Most Viewed