Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 13:03   #5641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Behemoth; I have had a bad experience with Daikin. Given their reputation I hope it is a one off, but there are reports of gas leaks in the system. These are too many to be neglected.
Yes that's possible as many of these companies have struggled with the installers and the dealer network initially. They can have a good quality product but it is let down by bad service and bad installation. Quality wise the products from Daikin, Hitachi and General are the best. Service network wise LG and Samsung are good, but their products are not of the same lifeclass or quality. My personal experiences are limited to the below Acs which I have used in my own home: 2 Hitachi, 1 Daikin, 4 Panasonic , 1 Electrolux.
Old 27th March 2018, 13:40   #5642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I am interested in knowing why this shouldn't be done.
here's my reasoning from real life. My father in law and I purchased a LG 1.5T window ac in 1998 together. I had an over zealous ac technician who was careless and used to remove my window ac, take it to the bathroom, wash it and also probably damage it in return. My ac lived about 5 years through multiple gas refills and repairs. I then got a OG window and it had the same fate. The OG lasted about, 4 years. My father in laws ac was never washed this way. He used to just clean the filters and fins himself. It survived till now and he finally got fed up and just gave it away and installed a OG split. It was still working fine 19 years after our purchase while I had already run through three acs in the same time frame. The only difference was the way it was being serviced..
Old 27th March 2018, 16:03   #5643
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I am getting one as well for my parents room. It's an imported unit only. Yet to see a Heavy Industries unit anywhere where I have seen Mitsubishi. This includes big hotels as well. Check Sangeetha in Adyar. They have Mitsubishi as well.

7 machines are working in my sister's house for the past two years now. These are absolutely lovely ones with very less sound and great throw of air. I have one in my room too installed last year. Works 24/7 when I am in Chennai with zero fuss.

Don't be alarmed. You made a good decision.
Thank you!

It has been delivered today. Yes, it seems to be made in Thailand, which is what the dealer said. It is still boxed: looks like it is going to be very small! The boxes are smaller than the current units.

Installation tomorrow.
Old 28th March 2018, 11:20   #5644
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thank you!

It has been delivered today. Yes, it seems to be made in Thailand, which is what the dealer said. It is still boxed: looks like it is going to be very small! The boxes are smaller than the current units.

Installation tomorrow.

I am buying one as well this weekend. Need to check with the local dealer. Which dealer did you go with ?
Old 28th March 2018, 14:05   #5645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Which dealer did you go with ?
Clima Cool, Sastri Nagar, Adyar.

Installation is going on now. In the morning, they sent guys to apply optional weatherex coating on inside unit copper "U" connectors. When they opened the unit, they found it was factory-sealed already. The sales lady said this was not done for this model... It has been updated for 2018 model!

Waiting to see if they do proper vacuum pumping. They said they would, but I don't see any machine!
Old 28th March 2018, 22:25   #5646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Waiting to see if they do proper vacuum pumping. They said they would, but I don't see any machine!
They might not need to vacuum the system. The ODUs today are sold with slightly more refrigerant than is needed, so as to enable the refrigerant to be used to flush the pipelines and the IDU before making the last connection, which would be the suction pipe going to the compressor in the ODU. This yields satisfactory results. No need for worry or alarm about this.
Old 29th March 2018, 01:41   #5647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
They might not need to vacuum the system. ...
Thanks for that, but... they did it!

Neat job. It is a fairly simple machine without bells and whistles (I think many of the 1-tonners lack features available in larger machines), but looks good in the room and does its job.

RIP the Samsung, which lasted a decade.
Old 30th March 2018, 10:30   #5648
BANNED

so i just came to know that 2017 5 star models have now become 2018 3 star models.

would you buy a 2017 5 star/ or updated model 2018 3 star? . too confused. all websites are showing updated model options

so do the new 2018 5 star ac have some different more energy efficient technologies? should we wait for 2018 5 star ACs?

thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 12:23   #5649
BANNED

Daikin 5 star inverter models in 2017 are still 5 star in 2018, since they are one of the few with a iseer of 5.2 to 5.8 the highest in our country.

Even godrej also has some models with 5 plus iseer.

Last edited by aim120 : 30th March 2018 at 12:29.
Old 30th March 2018, 13:07   #5650
BHPian

Folks,

Couple of basic queries; please enlighten:

1. Is it possible to fit Daikin Split AC onto a conventional copper pipe size!? Understand that it comes with bigger dia pipes as std, as compared to other ACs like Samsung, carrier etc.

2. What is the that AC type referred to as which comes with a tall indoor unit!? Which brands offer that type!?

I am currently researching for my under construction flat.
Old 30th March 2018, 13:32   #5651
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps Aroy, or another of our well-informed engineers could post (or point to) an AC-piping overview to educate us?

But I think... No. You do not have a choice. First thing is: it has to fit. The pipe sizes must match the connectors.

Second thing is, as far as I know, the pipe sizes and wall thickness are specified for the working pressures of the system. It is refrigerant specific: don't know, with that, if it varies by brand/model using the same refrigerant. Aroy (or someone?)

The lifetime, effectiveness, and possibly even safety of your expensive AC machine are going to depend on installation according to the instructions.

Go by the book. Don't mess with the specs!
Old 30th March 2018, 15:19   #5652
BANNED

Guys,

what's the general consensus of inverter ACs now that they have a been around a few years?

Are they reliable and run trouble free in indian climate or are many people facing expensive pcb repairs on their inverter ACs as told by AC service/repair technicians?

Thanks.
Old 30th March 2018, 15:21   #5653
BANNED

No you cannot use different pipe size, remember the compressor is pumping in gas, if you change the diameter of the pipe it will effect the pressure and flow rate, which is a big NO NO.
Apart from that the thickness of the pipe matters since it should be able to withstand the pressure. Daikin mostly uses R32 > R410 gas which operates at a higher pressure.

Last edited by aim120 : 30th March 2018 at 15:23.
Old 30th March 2018, 15:24   #5654
BHPian

I am shifting to another house in the same city, and will be reusing the split air conditioner from the earlier house.

Now after the AC guys removed the unit, they claimed that they cannot use the same copper pipe in the new location, and it will have to be thrown away. The reason given is that it is difficult to bend used copper pipes as per the new location. If they try to bend the pipe, it might get pinched and then the refrigerant flow will be hampered.

Now they are asking me to buy new copper pipes. Is this reasonable? Why cannot they reuse the old copper pipes in the new location?
Old 30th March 2018, 20:42   #5655
BANNED

Well unless the copper bends match the new location, rebending a old copper tube may cause metal fatigue, which may cause the gas to leak. Also dirt and debris can enter old copper tube when they remove/transport to new location.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks