Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2018, 07:30   #5671
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Unfortunately, this particular unit has been shifted twice after initial installation, which I suspect has led to leakage of the refrigerant. Will call them next week. Should I try Housejoy or stick to Samsung? Any feedback on Housejoy?
I have had a positive experience with housejoy. Had got my laptop's keyboard replaced. They were professional, kept in touch on the status, informed about delays in advance and have a strong feedback mechanism in place. Costs are slightly higher than outside, but you get it done from the comfort of your home. I would recommend trying them out.
Old 1st April 2018, 07:34   #5672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have had a positive experience with housejoy.
That was quick . Let me try them then.

Anyway Samsung sends very shady looking installers who are more interested in raising the overall cost (Saar, special drill needed for concrete cutting, pipes bent and need to change, water pipe needs lengthening etc) than in completing the core task.
Old 1st April 2018, 13:30   #5673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
I am shifting to another house in the same city, and will be reusing the split air conditioner from the earlier house.

Now after the AC guys removed the unit, they claimed that they cannot use the same copper pipe in the new location, and it will have to be thrown away. The reason given is that it is difficult to bend used copper pipes as per the new location. If they try to bend the pipe, it might get pinched and then the refrigerant flow will be hampered.

Now they are asking me to buy new copper pipes. Is this reasonable? Why cannot they reuse the old copper pipes in the new location?
There are two parts to it

1. Straightening out the old bends. This is a bit dicy, but can be done with proper equipment.

2. New bends on straight. This is easily achieved.

On the whole, the installer is trying to
a) Ease his job, as newer pipes are easier to maneuver.
b) Make some money by selling the pipe.

Just remember one thing. Do not go for any Chinese Copper Pipes. Go for Malaysian pipes of recommended diameter and wall thickness. To check the quality and prices, find out where the major market for AC components is in your city. Visit the market and survey what is available and at what price. You may be surprised at the low cost of quality pipes, that may be upto three times cheaper than what the installers try to charge.
Old 1st April 2018, 15:26   #5674
BANNED

I ordered a sansui invertor 1.5 ton in March 2018 and received ac manufactured in Feb 2017. is this alright or old stock.

Should i request for new stock?

Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 15:35   #5675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
I ordered a sansui invertor 1.5 ton in March 2018 and received ac manufactured in Feb 2017
if possible to replace you should. Not sure if it matters, but star ratings do change year on year.
Old 1st April 2018, 21:11   #5676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
... Should I try Housejoy or stick to Samsung? Any feedback on Housejoy?
Having used the services of HouseJoy, for purposes other than AC service, I would feel confident in saying that they are totally fraud! And this was through Amazon, who take no responsibility for hosting such a company! Stay away.

Last edited by anupmathur : 1st April 2018 at 21:12.
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:54   #5677
Senior - BHPian

Got the Mitsubishi 1 ton Split (MS-GK series) installed in my parent's room. The ODU lies in the terrace on a block of wood. Cooling is brilliant and it is quiet in operation.

It is replacing the 1.5 ton Whirlpool Window which is a decade old. So I am expecting some significant savings from this machine since it is smaller and also more efficient. The next couple of months will be a significant test for the machine. Summers are already stifling.
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:51   #5678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Got the Mitsubishi 1 ton Split (MS-GK series) installed in my parent's room. .
Congrats! I am using the same model in both mine and my parents room since 2016 summer. So this is the 3rd year I am using it. I found cooling to be really good.
My only issue with these ME ACs is their remote. It does not have back light and hence difficult to see the screen during night. Also, there is no 'temperature reading' displayed on IDU. Other than these two, i am quite happy with these models.
Old 2nd April 2018, 21:06   #5679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I found cooling to be really good.
My only issue with these ME ACs is their remote. It does not have back light and hence difficult to see the screen during night. Also, there is no 'temperature reading' displayed on IDU. Other than these two, i am quite happy with these models.
Great to hear good things from a fellow user. I have similar feelings towards the machine. They could give a back light for the remote or have a display in the indoor unit.

For now, I have asked my parents to just use the orange button to start and stop the machine. I have set it at a temperature that is comfortable for them.
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:48   #5680
Distinguished - BHPian

For our model, the remote is one of the simplest I have ever seen. The display is not so clear, but I think I'd very soon get used to using it in the dark. I've never had a back-lit AC remote, although I agree that it is a very nice idea.

Temperature display on the unit is a nice idea too. The previous Samsung in that room did it, and our lamented Sharp did too. But, by majority, I am used to not having it. What I have always done is to press <up> about ten times or more so that it must have arrived at the maximum, and then <down> two or three times. Of course, those who set the AC at 19 or 20 might prefer to do that the other way around!

If all fails, there is the bedside torch.

Other things I would like: half degrees (a centrigrade degree is too big) and real time....
Old 3rd April 2018, 14:38   #5681

Hello Everybody

I think just now i have found the right destination to get clarification on this particular topic.

Coimbatore is not the hottest when it comes to summer, but still it is becoming more warmer nowadays
So, was planning to fit a split inverter AC.

Are Midea Split Inverter ACs good ?
I am just looking for an inverter AC with 10 year warranty, but the meaning of the warranty depends on the quality of the service by the brand.

I had similar doubt on Geyser and finally came to know that AO Smith has been the market leader.
But the cost difference between AO Smith and other brands were not significant to not consider AO Smith, but it cannot be said for Air Conditioner.

Please share your inputs on the current trends in respect to choosing a brand.

Last edited by raddy : 3rd April 2018 at 14:42.
Old 3rd April 2018, 14:56   #5682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
For now, I have asked my parents to just use the orange button to start and stop the machine. I have set it at a temperature that is comfortable for them.
Same here...i have set the temperature to 26 and set the timer. So, my parents just need to turn ON the AC. They do not want to use the AC whole night.
In my case, i start with 25 and then settle for 27, but i do run it whole night. In both the rooms, ceiling fan will run whole night.
OT, i see that you are a Schumi fan? Even I am die-hard schumi fan. I have watched all his races and i kind of lost the interest in F1 after he retired.
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:02   #5683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddy View Post
Please share your inputs on the current trends in respect to choosing a brand.
I personally do not have an inverter AC yet but have 5 regular split acs at home. Considering your usage you will be better off with a 3-5 star ac, going by a few issues I've read on this thread with inverter models. I have three Daikin and two of Samsung.
Old 3rd April 2018, 22:31   #5684

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I personally do not have an inverter AC yet but have 5 regular split acs at home. Considering your usage you will be better off with a 3-5 star ac, going by a few issues I've read on this thread with inverter models. I have three Daikin and two of Samsung.
Are you trying to say that Inverter technology hasn't matured yet ?

I have been told by the mainstream media that Inverter AC will diligently maintain room temperature.
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:03   #5685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddy View Post
Are you trying to say that Inverter technology hasn't matured yet ?
It would seem, from what people post here, that it works just fine in the rest of the world.

Quote:
I have been told by the mainstream media that Inverter AC will diligently maintain room temperature.
Absolutely it will! It will maintain the temperature and humidity levels so well that you will never feel warm or cold while it is running: you will just feel comfortable. It works so well that it makes non-inverter AC look silly. Like comparing a comfortable car to a bullock cart.

So why is everybody not buying them? I for one, If I was wealthy and did not have to think much about either initial cost or cost of ownership, would not buy anything else.

I say that having had a bad experience of a rogue machine from a rogue manufacturer. When it worked, it was wonderful, and I still miss it.

The problem is in the complexity. There is a lot more to go wrong in an inverter machine, and it costs a lot more to repair it when it does. The control unit alone is like an onboard computer... and would probably be a single part for replacement when it goes wrong.

Inverter technology is, apparently mature. So are inverter machines long-lived and reliable here? Probably some of them are. Maybe just a few that are not give the rest a bad name. I don't know, but I wish I did, because, at some time in the future, I hope to be able to buy them without thinking about all this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks