Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 18:09   #5731

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, that's a bad thing to tell the customer who wants to be happy!

You can find out about the pros and cons of inverter AC in the last few pages of this thread. It sounds to me like somebody wants to scare you into buying an extended warranty.

Would that be worth it? If you can afford the cost of whatever is the most expensive component, then... no. Compare that cost with two or three years of premiums.

Congratulations on your new AC
I have got some rough idea on inverter ACs only after reading few recent pages in this long thread.

Actually i wanted to know your take on stabilizer or 3rd party extended warranty or none.
Old 20th April 2018, 19:18   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Hello members

Does anyone here have an idea on what should the gas pressure ideally be on the suction side of outdoor unit of a split AC?

I got my AC gas refilled a few days back. AC is a Whirlpool 1.5-ton split unit that uses R22 gas. On filling the refrigerant, the AC service guy showed me 50 PSI reading on a meter. He says that ideal pressure is 50 PSI and the gas is fully charged, is it so?

There are no issues with the cooling now but I think that the service guy conned me as the pressure was around 40 PSI before refilling and there was only a slight drop in cooling efficiency. I was under the impression that ideal pressure would be close 60-70 PSI.
Old 20th April 2018, 19:27   #5733
BANNED

I had the remote sensor in my General Inverter (wall unit) fail. It was not communicating with the remote. The unit was installed only in October last year. Now I am waiting for the dealer to get a replacement card which may come tomorrow evening or on Monday. So the earliest I get it operational is, or maybe Tuesday Monday. Hope the problem is fixed.
Old 20th April 2018, 23:21   #5734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddy View Post
Actually i wanted to know your take on stabilizer or 3rd party extended warranty or none.
My view on extended warranties in general is that they can be a scam, or they can be quite useful.

Assuming this one to be a genuine offer... Look at how much you can afford to pay if something goes wrong over the period of the warranty. How much could you pay out and not have your general finances disabled. For me, for instance, that might be 10k, or even more. Therefore, if the most expensive part is around 10k, I wouldn't take the warranty, unless the total paid over the period was considerably less.

Repair cost is something you might have to pay; warranty cost is something that you will pay.

The paradox of insurance is that it is most beneficial to those with least money, and that those with least money are the least likely to buy it.
Old 21st April 2018, 06:42   #5735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I got my AC gas refilled a few days back. AC is a Whirlpool 1.5-ton split unit that uses R22 gas. On filling the refrigerant, the AC service guy showed me 50 PSI reading on a meter. .....
The suction pressure for R22 will stay in the range of 4 to 5.5 Kg/cm². Which means 50 psi seems low. However, do bear in mind that pressures in an AC vary with ambient conditions. Your AC is slightly undercharged as far as I can tell.
Old 21st April 2018, 08:21   #5736
BHPian

Hello Thad,

Some people refer to General ACs as O General.

Are they mistaken?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st April 2018 at 16:22. Reason: quote not needed here
Old 21st April 2018, 08:38   #5737
BANNED

Quote:
My view on extended warranties in general is that they can be a scam, or they can be quite useful.
My opinion on Extended Warranties is the same as it is on any kind of insurance.

You buy insurance to you insure against catastrophic events causing financial ruin - i.e. I would never insure the life of some person who has no dependents - because his death though may be a highly emotional event for a lot of people, it's not going to cause financial ruin for anyone. I would never insure a phone because if a lost phone or a damaged phone is going to cause me financial ruin, then may be I shouldn't have purchased that particular phone in the first place.

It's the same for extended warranties. I never go for extended warranties for personal purchases.

Other than that, from a financial point of view, assuming I have bought 10 different appliances/devices etc, then the money I save on 10 extended warranties would easily cover the repair of the 2 devices/appliances which would actually need it. If this was not true, then the insurance companies would be running at a loss.

Of course, all this consideration is only for personal purchases. For business purchases, the argument may be different.
Old 21st April 2018, 10:47   #5738
Senior - BHPian

The chances of a device going bad mostly probabilistic. That is if you have one device it may fail catastrophically in a couple of years or it may chug on happily for years. That is where insurance or extended warranty helps.

On the other hand if you have ten devices (say AC or refrigerators or geysers), then the cost of insurance/AMC for all those devices will in general be more than repair costs of one or two failed devices.

So in my opinion, through extend warranties may be a scam, it is worth the price if you want peace of mind, else hope for the best (no repairs) but be prepared for the worst.
Old 21st April 2018, 13:35   #5739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello Thad,

Some people refer to General ACs as O General.

Are they mistaken?
Yes. As pointed out here several times. Look at their website: the company is not called "O General".

(and why did you quote a post about insurance and warranties to ask this?)
Old 21st April 2018, 13:54   #5740
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. As pointed out here several times. Look at their website: the company is not called "O General".

(and why did you quote a post about insurance and warranties to ask this?)
My apologies please. I seem to have annoyed you, pal.
Old 21st April 2018, 14:40   #5741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies please. I seem to have annoyed you, pal.
Oh, sorry, I did not mean to be harsh! Apologies!

This O General thing is so widespread, even the dealers will say it. But look closely: it is not an "O," but a round logo!
Old 21st April 2018, 14:50   #5742
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I did not mean to be harsh! Apologies!

This O General thing is so widespread, even the dealers will say it. But look closely: it is not an "O," but a round logo!
I did some googling before troubling you, Thad.

This "O General" is very widespread.

It extends even to Flipkart and Amazon.

https://www.flipkart.com/o-general-1...mdvrkcsmykkc6z
https://www.amazon.in/General-ASGA18.../dp/B00REFZTP0

What the heck is happening.
Old 21st April 2018, 22:33   #5743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This "O General" is very widespread.

It extends even to Flipkart and Amazon.
Yes indeed, very widespread. It would not surprise me if Fujitsu General's own employees use it!

It is a topic that always reminds me of our dear Sam Kapasi, who was one of the first to bring the error to the notice of Team-BHPers. And, poor Sam... it has outlived him.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:39   #5744
BHPian

Quote:
Yes indeed, very widespread. It would not surprise me if Fujitsu General's own employees use it!

It is a topic that always reminds me of our dear Sam Kapasi, who was one of the first to bring the error to the notice of Team-BHPers. And, poor Sam... it has outlived him.
Yes. The untimely and unfortunate loss of Sam shattered us all.

We miss you, Sam.
Old 24th April 2018, 08:04   #5745

I am referring to Jeeves extended warranty service.

Do anybody have experience with it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks