Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2018, 20:57   #5656
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

But I think... No.
Go by the book. Don't mess with the specs!
Thank you @Thad. Am all for and going by the book. I thought so too, but was exploring some tech.explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
if you change the diameter of the pipe it will effect the pressure and flow rate, which is a big NO NO.
Thanks @aim for a nice explanation.

OT: Is it just me, I can't see the 'Thanks' button on ur posts!?
Old 30th March 2018, 21:52   #5657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
OT: Is it just me, I can't see the 'Thanks' button on ur posts!?
The "Shifting Gears" section does not have the Thanks button, nor are the posts counted.
Old 30th March 2018, 22:09   #5658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
1. Is it possible to fit Daikin Split AC onto a conventional copper pipe size!? Understand that it comes with bigger dia pipes as std, as compared to other ACs like Samsung, carrier etc
My Daikins are now using conventional copper pipe. By conventional I believe what is meant here is cheaper and easily bendable. I purchased 19M 1/4" and 1/2" dia copper tubes for a recent house shift. I buy from a whole seller and this set costs 230rs a Meter. You get adapters that step down or up the tube thickness. I don't know if this is recommended or not but this is definitely lighter on the purse and easier for the installers to work with.
Old 30th March 2018, 22:53   #5659
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, obviously it works, then. I don't think it is advisable, though.
Old 30th March 2018, 23:46   #5660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You get adapters that step down or up the tube thickness. I don't know if this is recommended or not but this is definitely lighter on the purse and easier for the installers to work with.
That's exactly what I got to know but couldn't believe it because of the gas pressure concept and also since using such a connector (while possible) would again be less reliable relatively vis-a-vis seamless single pipe. Do Diakin installers suggest this option too; no harm to unit/warranty claims?!
I'd be in a similar position as you early next year when I'd have to fix ACs in my completed flat. Thing is, the builder has done AC piping for all rooms/areas in the flat and he's used this std. size only. I'd planned to go for Daikin this time, but for this restriction.
Old 31st March 2018, 05:45   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I think... No. You do not have a choice. First thing is: it has to fit. The pipe sizes must match the connectors.

Second thing is, as far as I know, the pipe sizes and wall thickness are specified for the working pressures of the system. ...
The wall thickness of the pipe matters to the extent it must be able to handle the pressure in the system. The diameter of the pipe is not critical, as long as the pipe is able to carry the volume of liquid and/or gas that it is required to, without offering (exceptional) resistance that might significantly alter/increase the pressure in the pipe.

As you noted, the connectors must 'fit'. Indeed, but even if fitted with adaptors to reduce or increase the diameter they would work just fine.

Manufacturers would have you believe their fittings are proprietary, when, often, they are not. Pipe diameters matter only to the extent I have indicated above.
Old 31st March 2018, 12:14   #5662
Distinguished - BHPian

Cooling has nearly ceased in our 4 year old Samsung 1.5T split. Needs a recharge / top-up. Any scams I should be aware of? I'm wary of AC techs!
Old 31st March 2018, 12:19   #5663
BHPian

How good is Llyod especially after its take over by Havells? It is much cheaper than Daikin. Was thinking of installing a non-inverter Llyod in non regularly used rooms and save some moolah.
Old 31st March 2018, 15:05   #5664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The wall thickness of the pipe matters to the extent it must be able to handle the pressure in the system. The diameter of the pipe is not critical, as long as the pipe is able to carry the volume of liquid and/or gas that it is required to, without offering (exceptional) resistance that might significantly alter/increase the pressure in the pipe.
Sounds reasonable.
Quote:
As you noted, the connectors must 'fit'. Indeed, but even if fitted with adaptors to reduce or increase the diameter they would work just fine.
The older kind of connection, made with a compression ring slipped over the end of the pipe, has been superseded by the kind in which the pipe end is flared with a special tool to fit the connector. Is the old type of connection properly able to handle the higher pressures of the new refrigerants?
Old 31st March 2018, 19:25   #5665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Is the old type of connection properly able to handle the higher pressures of the new refrigerants?
I can assure you that compression couplings, with 'olives', are extensively used in hydraulic systems working at pressures of 150 bar or more.
Old 31st March 2018, 22:57   #5666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can assure you ...
Thanks. So we should be concerned about the quality and fit, rather than the dimension, etc, of all this piping, right?
Old 31st March 2018, 22:59   #5667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Guys,

what's the general consensus of inverter ACs now that they have a been around a few years?

Are they reliable and run trouble free in indian climate or are many people facing expensive pcb repairs on their inverter ACs as told by AC service/repair technicians?

Thanks.
Can't say for everyone but my neighbour went all overboard and bought 3 Diakin inverter AC's about three years back. After three years he is not too happy after all. One of the variable speed AC compressor motor has conked off and it costs a bomb to replace it since it is a DC voltage motor and the overall cost saving haven't been as touted by the manufacturers. Apparently you need to let the AC run for extended time each day (More than 10 hours) to get any savings. In a typical home environment that never happens.

I would still vouch for tried and tested conventional AC from a good brand like Voltas. Easy to run and easy to fix if something happens.
Old 1st April 2018, 06:29   #5668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Cooling has nearly ceased in our 4 year old Samsung 1.5T split. Needs a recharge / top-up. Any scams I should be aware of? I'm wary of AC techs!
Did the AC not come with a 5 years warranty on the sealed system?
If not, it is important to know where the leakage occurred from - a pipe coupling or a welded/brazed joint in the piping.
Both can be repaired but the brazed joint would tend to give trouble repeatedly, as it points to differential corrosion, which would strike again.
If, God forbid, the leak is in the condenser coil or the evaporator, I would advise you to dump this unit rather than going in for a coil replacement. Good money after bad...
Old 1st April 2018, 07:11   #5669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
How good is Llyod especially after its take over by Havells? It is much cheaper than Daikin. Was thinking of installing a non-inverter Llyod in non regularly used rooms and save some moolah.
I dont think one can go wrong. One of my relatives have Lloyds, have seen it in a couple of banks too. I think their product is vastly ok. Due to price, Videocon, Lloyds, Haier, Onlida etc fall in the low-mid budget range. Should be ok for occasional use.
Old 1st April 2018, 07:26   #5670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did the AC not come with a 5 years warranty on the sealed system?
Unfortunately, this particular unit has been shifted twice after initial installation, which I suspect has led to leakage of the refrigerant. Will call them next week. Should I try Housejoy or stick to Samsung? Any feedback on Housejoy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks