Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2018, 10:10   #5746
BANNED

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I had the remote sensor in my General Inverter (wall unit) fail. It was not communicating with the remote. The unit was installed only in October last year. Now I am waiting for the dealer to get a replacement card which may come tomorrow evening or on Monday. So the earliest I get it operational is, or maybe Tuesday Monday. Hope the problem is fixed.
The dealer then collected the card from the outdoor unit. A day later he had the cardset. However, it was (and stlll is) non-functional. The card set worked for 15 minutes and then conked out. The dealer reckons that the two units (in-unit) and rooftop are not compatible. So he is getting a new pair. Expected today. In the meanwhile the fan in my desert cooler had also packed up. Now GEC is no longer in the business, so bought a Crompton unit. That is up. However, the boffins plugged in their drill into the regulator and blew it. So the system is now one speed.
Old 26th April 2018, 14:27   #5747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The dealer then collected the card from the outdoor unit. A day later he had the cardset. However, it was (and stlll is) non-functional. The card set worked for 15 minutes and then conked out. The dealer reckons that the two units (in-unit) and rooftop are not compatible. So he is getting a new pair. Expected today. In the meanwhile the fan in my desert cooler had also packed up. Now GEC is no longer in the business, so bought a Crompton unit. That is up. However, the boffins plugged in their drill into the regulator and blew it. So the system is now one speed.
Is this a brand new card or repaired ? Also from OEM or generic if a new card?

Can you put some pictures please ?
Old 26th April 2018, 19:21   #5748
Senior - BHPian

I will be moving to a new home and need to buy 5 ACs - 4 1.5 tom and 1 2 ton.
I am thinking to have 3 1.5 ton inverter ACs for bedrooms and 1 1.5 ton non-inverter and 1 2 on non-inverter for the hall.

I am not willing to spend a fortune of these ACs, so brands like Mitusbishi, General (and Daikin) are ruled out.

I am looking for good cooling and support.
I shortlisted LG, Panasonic and Lloyd. Lloyd and LG are offering 10 year warranty on compressors. Voltas is also available within the same price range but I am hearing no-so-good feedback about Voltas. Any preferences?
Old 26th April 2018, 21:57   #5749
BHPian

LG products are generally very good, their service is also very good and prompt. We have an LG fridge which is more than 14 years old. It is still working fine. In AC we switched from Daikin to LG recently because Daikin service was a bit of a problem. The LG works without any problem so far. However I still wish it were as quiet as the Daikin, especially for bedroom use.
Old 27th April 2018, 04:58   #5750
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
Is this a brand new card or repaired ? Also from OEM or generic if a new card?

Can you put some pictures please ?
No pics since the dealer service guys came and fixed it. Yesterday, they brought a fresh set for the outdoor unit with the hosing etc. Replaced it and the unit is up and running. It seems that the previous lot made some mistakes, probably in the wiring. So the system is fully up. Fingers crossed. Seems that this was one of his top mechanics.
Old 28th April 2018, 22:56   #5751
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a Daikin inverter AC 2 weeks back. Which replaced my 7 years old split AC.As stated in previous posts the technician told me the sme that the inverter circuit is prone to failure and is very expensive to fix. How true is that ?

I need to buy another AC. My requirements are as below.

Room size is 180 square feet. This one will run little less as compared to the one I have just bought. Now I am confused. The option I have in mind are buy the same Daikin inverter AC. 2nd option I am thinking of is buying a regular split AC under 30K if yes than which brand? 3rd is buy a 5* window AC since the maintenance will be less and will be easy to shift considering this is a rented accommodation. The last option is most sensible one but I really don’t like window ACs. And This is for drawing room so the appearance will also matter. Please suggest which AC and which brand should I go for. Looking for good brands only not the mainstream brands like LG, Samsung. Something like Hitachi,Daikin etc.
Old 29th April 2018, 12:20   #5752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
didnt see a a/c burn the house before.

hey are those tiles on the wall??

LG not good with compressor for hot climate ( who told: My friend has an agency that sells LG) so didnt go for it.

Try hitachi - LOGI COOL very high end one: supposed to save on power, I keep the A/C on all day I dont get high bills , so might be saving ower and money in long run.

O General is the best in india also the costliest I suppose.
Something similar happened with a friend of mine, last week. Woke up with smoke and 🔥 in his Haier ac. Hadn't heard of anything like this previously in my life.

Scary, dunno the root cause, so unsure how to prevent this in future.
Old 29th April 2018, 12:55   #5753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just bought a Daikin inverter AC 2 weeks back. Which replaced my 7 years old split AC.As stated in previous posts the technician told me the sme that the inverter circuit is prone to failure and is very expensive to fix. How true is that ?
That is true. Recently my Son's General blew the motherboard. Considering that he is Mumbai, where voltage fluctuations are rare, it has to be bad manufacturing. Anyway as the AC was out of warranty he had to pay Rs.12,000/ for the replacement, as after a lot of tries they could not repair the board.

So YES the more electronics, the more chances of a large bill. Recently a few manufacturers have started including Electronics in their extended warranties. I hope that this trend will increase till all manufacturers include the Electronic components in a 3 to 7 year extended warranty. By the way I have 7 years extended warranty for my LG WM, and when the motherboard blew in 6th year, they replaced it without any fuss - that is how it should be all appliances.
Old 29th April 2018, 15:04   #5754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panesar7 View Post
Quote:
didnt see a a/c burn the house before.
Something similar happened with a friend of mine, last week. Woke up with smoke and 🔥 in his Haier ac. Hadn't heard of anything like this previously in my life.

Scary, dunno the root cause, so unsure how to prevent this in future.
Anything electrical can burn the house down!
Old 29th April 2018, 15:41   #5755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
1 2 on non-inverter for the hall. Any preferences?
for a price point comparison, my friend just picked up a 2T General non-inverter 3 star split ac. He paid 53k for it with 2 year warranty and was told price was 47500 if he didn't want the warranty.
Old 30th April 2018, 16:17   #5756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
He paid 53k for it with 2 year warranty and was told price was 47500 if he didn't want the warranty.
My guess are that the odds of the machine needing a Rs.5,500 repair within two years are probably slim, and, even if it does, your friend (based on the limited information that he can buy a 50k AC) will be afford it if it happens, at which point he will only have paid out the 53k anyway.

But... the whole deal does sound a little dodgy and, "He paid 53k," he decided against it, right?
Old 30th April 2018, 17:10   #5757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But... the whole deal does sound a little dodgy and, "He paid 53k," he decided against it, right?
Yep he went with the 53k which I felt was not needed. The 47.5k was the Grey market pricing.
Old 30th April 2018, 23:46   #5758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
... ... ... The 47.5k was the Grey market pricing.
One day, I might be interested in knowing where he is buying from
Old 1st May 2018, 18:06   #5759
BHPian

Guys,

I have zeroed down to below two options.

Daikin 3 Star Inverter 1.5 ton. Price is 40K.

Blue Star 5 Star 1.5 ton. With 5 year warranty on PCB, condenser & other electrical items and 10 year warranty on compressor. Priced at 42K.

I know on paper Blue Star looks like a great deal. But what I want to know is how does Blue Star as a brand fair against the likes of Daikin & Hitachi? I know with Daikin & Hitachi both being japs one can’t go wrong with them .
Old 1st May 2018, 22:28   #5760
Distinguished - BHPian

Last thing I read on this thread was that, despite the marketing and advertising, and the willingness to sell to private users, Blue Star was not very hot on support outside the commercial sector. I wonder if this this is still true?

I recently noticed that Hitachi is offering a five-year warranty on the controller board. Many of us, however keen we are on the technology, are suspicious of inverter repair costs, and, at this time, if I was buying, I'd go for a company offering such a warranty.

One would have to read the small print, and I seriously think we should, but Blue Star's warranty looks better than Hitachi's.

Thought: a round up of warranty terms would be a good resource. Perhaps people could post that information as and when it comes their way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks