Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2020, 17:22   #6496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
What exactly do you mean when you say the outdoor unit is to be cleaned? Is it only the outside of the box that is cleaned and the interior is to be kept water/ moisture free? In that case, is it as simple as just cleaning the outside of the ODU box with a gentle water wash just to get rid of dust accumulated on the surface? Or is it something more comprehensive than that?

How often is it required to be done? I have just got an LG AC installed last month, just before the lockdown, and haven't doe any cleaning of the ODU yet.
The main areas that need cleaning is the fan and the cooling fins. Depending on the clearance available around the ODU based on where it is placed, all the fins cannot be cleaned properly. In my case, the fins in the back of the ODU cannot be cleaned from behind since there is not much clearance behind the ODU and the wall to position the pressure washer gun. Hence i clean it from the front , in between the fan blades, so that the dust and dirt accumulated on the fins are washed off.

Also when you wash the fins from the outside some dust and dirt will fall inside the ODU. So that also has to be rinsed off.

I do it once a year in the beginning of March since my AC usage in Bangalore is from March to June. Since you have got it installed recently, no need to clean now. You may start from next year. Depending on how many months in an year you use the AC and how dusty your environment is, you can choose the interval to your requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thank you Rahul and Sagar. The good thing is my ODU is placed under a shade which protects it from rain water and the hot sun. But that will also make it little difficult to dry. Thanks for the input guys!
Then let it dry for 48 hours if you can.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 17:24   #6497
BHPian

I cleaned all 6 ODUs at our home using a Bosch air blower yesterday. It helps to unclog the fins and am guessing the heat exchange capability of the ODU. In the past I have used my water pressure washer as well, taking care not to spray directly on the fan motor but everywhere else.
I think the air blower is safer but does cause a lot of dust to fly around, which can cause allergies and eye irritation, if not wearing protective gear.
diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 11:43   #6498
Senior - BHPian

For Window AC I used to get the fins cleaned every year.
. Take the Unit out
. Open up the lid(s)
. Cover the fan body with plastic bags so that no water seeps into it
. Use a mild pressure spray to clean the fins. Spray from both the side of the condenser.
. Wash the inside - bottom, sides and the fan blade.
. Use a brush to clean stubborn dirt.
. If you have, blow dry the unit, or else let it dry in the sun.
. Take the plastic off the fan.
. Assemble the covers.
. Put the unit back.

If the unit is dry, start it, else wait for an hour.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:42   #6499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thank you Rahul and Sagar. The good thing is my ODU is placed under a shade which protects it from rain water and the hot sun. But that will also make it little difficult to dry. Thanks for the input guys!
Ya my unit is also inside shade, AFAIR i left the unit almost 24hours before starting it for checking, as i was cleaning after summer was over and we were not using the AC. Still the fan went bust.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 16:15   #6500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Ya my unit is also inside shade, AFAIR i left the unit almost 24hours before starting it for checking, as i was cleaning after summer was over and we were not using the AC. Still the fan went bust.
Oh ...that is bad . Guess i have been lucky all these years or the LG AC that i have is robust in this aspect.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 12:29   #6501
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a Daikin 2.0T split unit A.C. in my Master bedroom. It is 8 years old. The IDU was opened and cleaned thoroughly about 9 months ago after which the AC has only been used for the last 2 months. When the IDU cooling coils were replaced there was gas leakage and the technician had to attend on two more occasions to tighten up all connections and refill the gas. This is an official Daikin dealer in Goa.
Of late I have noticed the cooling has dropped off considerably. Grill temperature is now 15C. The room which used to get like a fridge is now just cool.
Now the same (Daikin) AC technician suggests we release all the gas, wash the ODU, then do a vacuum test for 24 hours and the recharge the gas. Quoting 5500.00 for this job. I don't see any point in filling "New gas" as he calls it as the gas is just 9 months old. I also don't believe there is any such thing as "Old gas" and "New gas"!
Additionally, the ODU sits in our verandah and is fairly well protected from the elements. It does look a little dirty but it's been the same the last 3 to 4 years.
Am I being taken for a ride and if so, what can the experts advise please?

Many Thanks,
SS
Old 25th April 2020, 11:30   #6502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Now the same (Daikin) AC technician suggests we release all the gas, wash the ODU, then do a vacuum test for 24 hours and the recharge the gas. Quoting 5500.00 for this job...
Am I being taken for a ride and if so, what can the experts advise please?
I went through this same nightmare due to shoddy work by the ac technician recently. Cooling was very poor and my regular guy was busy so called on another chap. He came in removed the IDU, pressure washed it, refilled gas which was probably not needed then and fitted it back. In the process he broke the plastic latch of the rotating drum on one side. It worked for a few days and lost cooling. He came in refilled gas and went. Lasted a few days and again leaked. Finally got hold of my regular guy. He came in and found that the previous guy had not joined the IDU to the copper pipe going to the ODU well and there was a leak at that place. So he suggested a gas leak test for 24-48 hrs and refill of gas post that. He rigged up as per the attached pic. Since then my Daikin which is about 12-13 years old has been running well.
I suspect the previous guy has done some damage to the joints and that is the reason for you losing gas. You can insist he only checks the joints and the gas pressure and refill and go but for peace of mind you can do this. I think I paid around the same price.
You can attempt with another ac technician who has good references. No need to go with company guys for this. It is outsourced anyway and not that they are giving you any warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1587794122182.jpg  

diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 12:19   #6503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I suspect the previous guy has done some damage to the joints and that is the reason for you losing gas. You can insist he only checks the joints and the gas pressure and refill and go but for peace of mind you can do this. I think I paid around the same price.
You can attempt with another ac technician who has good references. No need to go with company guys for this. It is outsourced anyway and not that they are giving you any warranty.
Thanks diyguy. The problem is finding a decent AC technician in Goa. Anyway, I guess I will have to sort something out.

Regards,
SS
Old 25th April 2020, 12:26   #6504
BHPian

I the last 10 years we have changed 3 window A/C from my room, regardless of the brand they tend to go bad due to leakages caused by regular service that involves the complete unit to be removed and fitted again, however my Hitachi 1.5 ton split ac still performes as brand new after 7 years without a single gas top-up
Old 25th April 2020, 12:37   #6505
BHPian

Hi all. Post lock down I intend to buy three new ACs for my house in which we have shifted in Delhi.

Two rooms are 150 Sq Ft and is abt 225 Sq ft. All rooms have provision for window as well as split types. My queries are as follows::

1. Is it better to buy window type ACs for the smaller rooms, and if yes, with inverter types or the normal ones will do. The usage for these rooms will primarily be in afternoon and well as nights. Also, do windows AC also come with the night mode (the temp increasing by one degree every two hrs or so).

2. The bigger rooms will get a split one. But I have been told that voltas lloyd and samsung etc have chinese compressors, where as daikin and panasonic have more reliable ones. Is it true?? Also, what difference do dual inverters, and copper/aluminium condenser coils make??

Thanks for the reply in advance. Am thinking of purchase through Rel Digital as the prices seem to be cheap and the ranges are also the latest ones.
Old 25th April 2020, 12:42   #6506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshift99 View Post
I the last 10 years we have changed 3 window A/C from my room, regardless of the brand they tend to go bad due to leakages caused by regular service that involves the complete unit to be removed and fitted again, however my Hitachi 1.5 ton split ac still performes as brand new after 7 years without a single gas top-up
My father in law and I purchased a lg window ac in 1998. Mine lasted 4 years while his lasted 20 till he just got rid of it and switched to a OG split. It was still working. The difference was I was getting it removed and washed every four months while he never got it serviced except for the fins and the filter in front that he did himself. It is the manhandling that causes issues everytime and window acs need extreme care. I remember how they would drop it and stand it up on its side etc. I went through four window acs in multiple rooms with an average life of 4 years except carrier brand which was a trooper. My LG, OG, Samsung and Hitachi all died prematurely. Now been on split for the past 13-14 years and apart from technician issues or an occasional board issue all have been running well and still surviving. My oldest ac is 14 years old Samsung 2T split and running very well. Next are two Daikin that are maybe 12-13 years old. Weve shifted home thrice in this period too.
diyguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 10:55   #6507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
Hi all. Post lock down I intend to buy three new ACs for my house in which we have shifted in Delhi.

Two rooms are 150 Sq Ft and is abt 225 Sq ft. All rooms have provision for window as well as split types. My queries are as follows::

1. Is it better to buy window type ACs for the smaller rooms, and if yes, with inverter types or the normal ones will do. The usage for these rooms will primarily be in afternoon and well as nights. Also, do windows AC also come with the night mode (the temp increasing by one degree every two hrs or so).

2. The bigger rooms will get a split one. But I have been told that voltas lloyd and samsung etc have chinese compressors, where as daikin and panasonic have more reliable ones. Is it true?? Also, what difference do dual inverters, and copper/aluminium condenser coils make??

Thanks for the reply in advance. Am thinking of purchase through Rel Digital as the prices seem to be cheap and the ranges are also the latest ones.
Split AC is always more efficient than the window Ac due to the fact that the heat exchangers in a window AC are cramped and have less area. In contrast split AC have no such limitation and their heat exchangers are larger.

I have Hitachi, Daikin and LG AC. The former two are much better but have horrible service support. In contrast LG support at least in South Delhi is excellent. Both my LG splits have 5 years extended warranty - everything excepting some plastic parts are covered, hence the service engineers are careful while servicing. In fact last year my IDU got jammed with dust and they came, dismantled the IDU, washed it and pit it back, no queestions asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My father in law and I purchased a lg window ac

in 1998. Mine lasted 4 years while his lasted 20 till he just got rid of it and switched to a OG split. It was still working. The difference was I was getting it removed and washed every four months while he never got it serviced except for the fins and the filter in front that he did himself. It is the manhandling that causes issues everytime and window acs need extreme care. I remember how they would drop it and stand it up on its side etc. I went through four window acs in multiple rooms with an average life of 4 years except carrier brand which was a trooper. My LG, OG, Samsung and Hitachi all died prematurely. Now been on split for the past 13-14 years and apart from technician issues or an occasional board issue all have been running well and still surviving. My oldest ac is 14 years old Samsung 2T split and running very well. Next are two Daikin that are maybe 12-13 years old. Weve shifted home thrice in this period too.
As in your case my window AC have been changes thrice (now the last one is replaced with split) in a span of twelve years, while my Hitachi split is chugging away since 1997.

My experience is that the service personnel are extremely callous. The tend to break plastic parts and spoil the fan motors by washing them.

You should be vigilant and paranoid (yes it works with them) insisting on careful handling and protection of pasrts before they wash the AC.
Old 29th April 2020, 08:25   #6508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Split AC is always more efficient than the window Ac due to the fact that the heat exchangers in a window AC are cramped and have less area. In contrast split AC have no such limitation and their heat exchangers are larger.

I have Hitachi, Daikin and LG AC. The former two are much better but have horrible service support. In contrast LG support at least in South Delhi is excellent. Both my LG splits have 5 years extended warranty - everything excepting some plastic parts are covered, hence the service engineers are careful while servicing. In fact last year my IDU got jammed with dust and they came, dismantled the IDU, washed it and pit it back, no queestions asked.
Thanks for the input. Shall keep it in mind while making the purchase.
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:10   #6509
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks diyguy. The problem is finding a decent AC technician in Goa. Anyway, I guess I will have to sort something out.

Regards,
SS
Hi @diyguy & All,

Finally got an A.C. technician to attend as we are now in the Covid-19 "Green Zone".

He found that the last guy had filled too much gas (75psi) in the system. He claimed the max pressure should be 63 psi(?) for R22 gas and if left this way (at 75 psi) it could damage the compressor permanently. Anyway he reduced the pressure to 64 psi. Also fitted another capacitor as he claimed the old one was using too much electricity - 13.5V when it should be 11.5V.

So, gas pressure now O.K. No gas leakage. Voltage supply now O.K. but cooling has reduced further.

I really don't know what to do. Grill temperature is 14C but I feel the compressor is cutting out before the room has cooled down sufficiently.
I can only think the thermostat is now faulty.

Any advice or suggestions would be useful.

With a heat wave forecast in the next week, I am not looking forward to sleeping in this room.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

SS
Old 3rd May 2020, 01:51   #6510
BHPian

Quote:
Grill temperature is 14C but I feel the compressor is cutting out before the room has cooled down sufficiently.
I use a wifi power monitoring device for all my acs and geysers. Also have it for my borewell motor, water softener, pressure pump, outdoor lights etc. From this I can see power consumption and also figure out if there are any malfunctions.
I had a capacitor go bust in my daikin ac and found the power meter was indicating a Power draw of more than 3500w and current draw was crossing 20+A and tripping the mcb in my DB. When the AC technician came, I told him it is a capacitor issue and he was surprised when it was indeed so. Three days ago, I saw this same pattern with my borewell motor. It wasn't starting up but the meter was indicating power consumption of 6000w. I opened up the capacitor panel and found it had burnt and leaked inside. Luckily I had an older motor lying aside and I salvaged the capacitor from there and got my pump up and running in this Lockdown.
I can only suggest if you have doubts of your compressor cutting off prematurely you may want to monitor the power consumption to know if what you think is indeed right.

I am not sure if the gas can be mixed with air or any other gas for it to be maybe less effective. I have had cooling loss when the fins were super clogged with dirt but pressure washing and in another case, kerosine and nitrogen was used to clean another of my IDU. The technician took it to his workshop for that job. He also painted the side coils and determined there was no leak in the IDU that time.

I understand your IDU was removed and a deep clean performed, pressure wash and chemical wash? Then he filled in gas to 75psi. But you still feel the cooling is less? How much current was the unit drawing when he said the capacitor needed change?

I would suggest you check the current and power consumption to determine if the ac is drawing lower amps than it is rated for and also check if the compressor is cutting off prematurely before you spend any more money on the unit.

I hope you get other experiences from folks here that might be more helpful that these thoughts of mine.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks