Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 22:12   #6466
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

As summer is kicking in Delhi, I utilized the weekend cleaning filters of all ACs in the house.

A couple of them have issues - one 1.5 T voltas split unit is not cooling, Outdoor unit is working with normal fan and compressor operation. I believe this to be a refrigerant leakage issue.

Second AC, a 1 T Samsung split is not switching on. No response on LCD panel upon switching on the power supply, no response to remote command nor any response from the physical button on the unit. I checked the MCB, the incoming port has the power supply and the wire connected to the outgoing port of MCB also has power supply when we turn it on. So it rules out that there is an issue with MCB or power supply cable.

What could be the issue? Can it happen that the circuit board malfunctioned? Any DIY workaround as I would not be able to get an AC technician till lockdown is in place.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th April 2020 at 22:25.
Old 15th April 2020, 10:21   #6467
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, need help. In one of the rooms, we have a Voltas air-con. The cooling has stopped and I'm seeing this tree icon (above temp reading). It wasn't there before.

What is this icon for? Can any Voltas users comment on how to remove it (guessing its some ECO mode)? Thanks in advance.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-20200415-09.49.35.jpg
Old 15th April 2020, 11:09   #6468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The cooling has stopped and I'm seeing this tree icon (above temp reading).
Not sure about the tree icon; as you guessed it could be something to do with eco mode, or could be ionizer/air purifier.
About the temperature set in 16, can you increase it to, say 22, and see if it works?
I have seen (particularly Voltas) A/C not working if the temperature is set in the lowest range.
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:13   #6469
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
About the temperature set in 16, can you increase it to, say 22, and see if it works?
Thank you. Just tried. No luck, unfortunately.
Old 15th April 2020, 15:40   #6470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reset the remote by removing the batteries for a few minutes and then putting them back in. This usually removes any settings you have put and returns it to default.

The Tree could be Eco or sleep mode
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:50   #6471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That icon could indicate ‘natural outside breeze’ ventilation mode. That is why it isn’t cooling. In case you cannot change songs in your remote, it might name been locked. Long pressing + & - buttons might unlock it. If nothing works, there might be a’reset’ pin prick hole on the remote. Please try it.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 15th April 2020 at 15:53.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:44   #6472
BHPian

Quote:
What is this icon for? Can any Voltas users comment on how to remove it (guessing its some ECO mode)? Thanks in advance.
In my Voltas AC, the mode selector button on the remote wasn't working when I switched it after a gap of 4 to 5 months few days back. I wasn't able to set the AC to manual temperature mode (by default, the 'Auto' mode comes when we insert batteries after a gap as the remote gets reset). And unluckily for me, the Auto mode wasn't cooling the room as desired as it was getting cut-off too soon.

What came to my rescue was the inbuilt IR Blaster on my Xiaomi phone. I just needed to get my AC paired in the Mi Remote control app and I was able to set the Manual cooling mode.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-screenshot_20200415162905938_com.duokan.phone.remotecontroller.jpg

If yours is also a remote control issue then this might help.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 15th April 2020 at 16:46.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 10:16   #6473
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Reset the remote by removing the batteries for a few minutes and then putting them back in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That icon could indicate ‘natural outside breeze’ ventilation mode. That is why it isn’t cooling.
Removed batteries, went to sleep, woke up in the morning and put them back. That darned tree icon was the first to come up .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
If yours is also a remote control issue then this might help.
Thanks man. Doesn't appear to be a remote issue here as everything else is working (with confirmation beeps too).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 02:31   #6474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Removed batteries, went to sleep, woke up in the morning and put them back. That darned tree icon was the first to come up .
Reddit says the tree symbol is meant to indicate some healthy mode.

Cooling is still not working?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 08:05   #6475
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Cooling is still not working?
Sadly, no. And still can't get rid of that damn tree symbol .

By the way, good to see another Reddit fan! I am a big one too.

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2020 at 08:07.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:44   #6476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no.
In both LG and BlueStar ACs, I have observed that switching on the AC directly from the AC unit button puts them in default cooling mode of the system (22 degree, medium fan, cool mode) whereas switching on the AC from remote control puts it into the settings set in the remote unit (custom settings used previously). Energy saver mode can only be turned on through the remote control.

Try switching on the AC directly from the main unit button rather than the remote and see if somehow this works and it starts cooling. That would mean that this tree icon on remote is the culprit and AC cooling is fine.

My Bluestar AC had stopped cooling last season. The issue was a burnt relay that was repaired for almost 2.5k. Official method was the replacement of the whole motherboard.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 10:54   #6477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, no. And still can't get rid of that damn tree symbol .

By the way, good to see another Reddit fan! I am a big one too.
Could it be possible that it's a simple story of refrigerant leak? That is the most common reason for AC not cooling when everything else is working fine.

On a personal note I am a bit disappointed by Carrier in my parents bedroom. It leaked last year and we got the refrigerant filled. Yesterday when they started the AC for the first time this summer its not cooling and i suspect a leak again. Will get to know only after lockdown ends when a technician can visit.

Also a big Reddit fan too.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 11:02   #6478
Team-BHP Support

Tree symbol - can be for - Silent operation. This function reduces to minimum internal fan speed in order to reduce noise to minimum.

If you outdoor has a separate power supply, switch it off, if it’s from indoor, you can try switching off from the main switch/ stabilizer or direct MCB and wait for a while.

https://www.acerservices.com.au/air-...tting-symbols/

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th April 2020 at 11:05.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 11:03   #6479
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need help. In one of the rooms, we have a Voltas air-con. The cooling has stopped and I'm seeing this tree icon (above temp reading). It wasn't there before.

Attachment 1993950
I think i saw that on some remotes. It's akin to frost/ defrost in refrigerators which when pressed does not cool the refrigerator till all ice melts and drains away.

I am sure it doesn't cool in that mode. Try hard reset on remote and check drain water pipe is clear of debris and directed towards ground to enable water drain.

Hope it works!
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 09:06   #6480
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Try switching on the AC directly from the main unit button rather than the remote and see if somehow this works and it starts cooling.
Thanks! Looked. No physical button anywhere on the air-con. Remote is the only way to start it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Could it be possible that it's a simple story of refrigerant leak? That is the most common reason for AC not cooling when everything else is working fine.
Yeah, after trying everything, even I think it is a hardware failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you outdoor has a separate power supply, switch it off, if it’s from indoor, you can try switching off from the main switch/ stabilizer or direct MCB and wait for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
I am sure it doesn't cool in that mode. Try hard reset on remote
No luck :(. Thanks!

Guess will just wait for the 20th and call an electrician over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks