Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 13:46   #7216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
wanted to check if there are timer's available for scheduling ac's ?
Many have the facility built in to their own remote controls.

I am not certain about the smaller ones (rooms used by wife more than by me) but our biggest Mitsubishi has both scheduling and timing options. I have not used the former, but I do use the latter, when we go out in the evening, so that it comes on at 9pm.

I think our old Daikin does too, but the cheapo replacement remote does not play well except for basic controls.
Old 11th October 2022, 13:55   #7217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
There is one caveat though - it can control a maximum of 10 A as the internal relay contacts are rated only upto 10 A. I still control the Air conditioners as the modern inverter acs don't consume more than 9 A at one time.
Learnt it the hard way and the relay got burned out when the consumption went above 10 AM.

Hence looking at other options.
Old 11th October 2022, 14:11   #7218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Many have the facility built in to their own remote controls.

I am not certain about the smaller ones (rooms used by wife more than by me) but our biggest Mitsubishi has both scheduling and timing options. I have not used the former, but I do use the latter, when we go out in the evening, so that it comes on at 9pm.

I think our old Daikin does too, but the cheapo replacement remote does not play well except for basic controls.
I have Mitsubishi slim ac as well. It has the timing option but not the scheduler. Same with Diakin.
bharanidharang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 10:12   #7219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Learnt it the hard way and the relay got burned out when the consumption went above 10 AM.

Hence looking at other options.
For higher current, you can add an external relay. They are available in all configurations - single phase, three phase, 10A tpo over 100A.

https://www.amazon.in/xcluma-Solid-S...s%2C327&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.in/amiciSmart-Vol...%2C218&sr=8-24

https://www.amazon.in/MAKE-AMPERE-PO...%2C218&sr=8-64

Here are some higher power timer
relays
https://www.amazon.in/GRT8-S-Multifu...%2C218&sr=8-80

https://www.amazon.in/Blackt-Electro...97-spons&psc=1
Old 12th October 2022, 18:20   #7220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For higher current, you can add an external relay. They are available in all configurations - single phase, three phase, 10A tpo over 100A.

https://www.amazon.in/xcluma-Solid-S...s%2C327&sr=8-5
A solid state relay seems very attractive but it needs to be properly mounted on a heat sink, else it will self destruct by overheating.
Old 13th October 2022, 09:48   #7221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
A solid state relay seems very attractive but it needs to be properly mounted on a heat sink, else it will self destruct by overheating.
There are some traditional relays also. Their rating depends on the contactore rating and they do not "blow" easily.
Old 28th November 2022, 01:14   #7222
BHPian

Hi Looking for 3 AC's for identical bedrooms of size 176 sqft with just bed, side table, 2 chairs and a coffee table. 1 bedroom is on top floor below the water tanks with walls on west and south with another bedroom below it in ground floor but shaded by neighboring houses. 3rd BR is in the north east with bed, side table, study table and a book shelf.

My bedroom is the one that receives the maximum heat during day. We normally use ACs for max 4 months a year.

TIA
Old 28th November 2022, 09:49   #7223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Hi Looking for 3 AC's for identical bedrooms of size 176 sqft with just bed, side table, 2 chairs and a coffee table. 1 bedroom is on top floor below the water tanks with walls on west and south with another bedroom below it in ground floor but shaded by neighboring houses. 3rd BR is in the north east with bed, side table, study table and a book shelf.

My bedroom is the one that receives the maximum heat during day. We normally use ACs for max 4 months a year.

TIA
Most of the current AC's are equally good innitially. What differentiates them is not the failure rate, but the speed of repairs/maintenance. Then each region or city has good service and bad service from major manufacturers. It will be in your interest to do a survey on after sales service for those manufacturers that you are considering.

In Delhi, I have found that LG has the best service both in terms of response and in terms of the cost of extended warranty. If your area has good LG service go for it.

There are many brands - Mitsubishi, Daikin, Panasonic etc, that have excellent machines that break down rarely, but unfortunately once they do, repairs cost a bomb and wait can be very frustating (as most parts are not stocked).
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 15:06   #7224
BHPian

Quote:

TIA

I bought 4 2 ton 5 star AC from hitachi a year back. It was the most silent one compared with other brands. I went with hitachi because they have an established service network in Erode.

Being from Coimbatore I think service will not be an issue regardless of whatever brand you choose.

If you are into smart Ac’s Panasonic has some good models .
Dr Alpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 16:27   #7225
BHPian

Oscillating between Samsung & Panasonic smart ACs. Windfree model from samsung looks promising but not much reviews to take a plunge. Their 28db noise level is making me tilt towards them when compared to Panasonic.
Old 29th November 2022, 12:18   #7226
BHPian

Quote:
Their 28db noise level is making me tilt towards them when compared to Panasonic.
The noise level is relative and subjective. Typically, when you live in a city, the noise level is around 30 dB. Even a fan set at the medium speed would induce 32 dB noise level. I am using a dB meter app in iPhone. Panasonic smart AC shows about 29 dB.

Panasonic smart AC has wifi and a dedicated app mirAle to control the AC. You can even ask Alexa to reduce/increase the temperature by voice command.
I am not affiliated to Panasonic company. I am just a user who has been using Panasonic for almost all my electric/Electronic needs for years.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 15:15   #7227
BHPian

Apologies if this has been answered earlier but I was not able to find any post that may answer my query.

Office space in Mumbai needs a/c fitting now. About 350-370 sq ft in space (for seating). An approx 80 Sq ft. boss cabin / meeting room for 4-6 people to meet at a time and the rest is staff seating area.

The outlet pipe and space for ODU is limited and hence I was wondering if we can fit 2 IDUs with 1 ODU. I searched internet and came across this VRF system by different vendors such as Blue Star, Mitsubishi Electric and Carrier. Looks good from requirements perspective but I am not sure about the cost benefit of the same.

I was initially thinking of putting two Split units of 1.5Tn each - 1 in the meeting room and the other in the outer seating area, before this idea of a combined ODU came to my mind.

Not seen it in action anywhere and hence seeking feedback here. What should be the recommended size and configuration in this case?

While two ODUs can be managed easily in the given space, two pipes going out of the office via the same place (and cover about 100 meters) might just be a bit of pain.

Alternatively, if I put 1 Cassette unit, what will be the recommended size for it? 2Tn?
Old 30th November 2022, 16:02   #7228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Apologies if this has been answered earlier but I was not able to find any post that may answer my query.

Office space in Mumbai needs a/c fitting now. About 350-370 sq ft in space (for seating). An approx 80 Sq ft. boss cabin / meeting room for 4-6 people to meet at a time and the rest is staff seating area.

The outlet pipe and space for ODU is limited and hence I was wondering if we can fit 2 IDUs with 1 ODU. I searched internet and came across this VRF system by different vendors such as Blue Star, Mitsubishi Electric and Carrier. Looks good from requirements perspective but I am not sure about the cost benefit of the same.

I was initially thinking of putting two Split units of 1.5Tn each - 1 in the meeting room and the other in the outer seating area, before this idea of a combined ODU came to my mind.

Not seen it in action anywhere and hence seeking feedback here. What should be the recommended size and configuration in this case?

While two ODUs can be managed easily in the given space, two pipes going out of the office via the same place (and cover about 100 meters) might just be a bit of pain.

Alternatively, if I put 1 Cassette unit, what will be the recommended size for it? 2Tn?
Rule of thumb calculation :
. 1T poer 1000 cu.feet
. 1T for every 4 pesons
. 1T for every 3kw electric load (fans, rmicrowave, computers etc)

The assumption is 40n degrees outside, 22 inside.

As far as multiple IDU with single ODU you search for "multi-split" AC.

https://www.daikin.com/products/ac/l...it_multi_split

https://www.lg.com/in/business/multi-split-air-solution

https://www.amazon.in/Daikin-18-9-Mu.../dp/B06XKBDLLW
Old 3rd December 2022, 08:35   #7229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post

Single General Split Ac 3.5 ton will do the job for your requirements. Here's the model number
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-screenshot_20221203083448_opera.jpg  

Old 31st January 2023, 20:07   #7230
ZMG
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

Slightly long post ahead.

I have 4 Whirlpool ACs in my house which were installed in 2016.
2 of them have stopped working.

The AC technician from Urban company said that the coil is leaking.
The solution is to pay close to 6.5K and get a copper coil (currently it is aluminum) and gas recharge.
Do you think it makes sense to do that ? Can there be other problems occurring? Or will this work for the next 2 - 3 years - I use my AC from March to August every year.
The technician suggested to buy a new AC altogether.

If I am buying a new AC - should I get one with inverter or non - inverter? I have heard that inverter ACs motherboard and circuits get spoilt soon (whatever you save on electricity - you end up spending more than that on repair).
I have a stabilizer which is working fine? Will having a stabilizer be good enough to avoid circuit related issues ?

Next question: which brand?
I have 12 year old Panasonic which works as good as day one.
I was thinking between Panasonic, Blue star, Daikin, LG(something tells me this may not be a good idea)
I need a 1.5 ton unit, and getting these inverter and fixed speed units under 40K online.
I want something that I buy and forget for the next 5 - 6 years. I can switch it on every month when it is not being used regularly.

Last question - If I replace my AC - what should I do with the existing ones? The AC technician said he will give me 800. That saves me the cost of uninstallation.

Thanks in advance to all for your valued inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks