Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2022, 21:33   #7081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
IPA?

When sprayed directly on a naked flame: Yes.
After spraying, the evaporating vapour: No.
If there is an electricity-caused spark: Yes.
Old 9th April 2022, 11:13   #7082
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just an update.

Mitsubishi came and changed the PCB as well as internal + external sensors.

Put the AC on "22 Auto" since two nights and have been sleeping like a baby for an uninterrupted 8 hours. Hopefully, the problem is solved.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 11:38   #7083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
+1 to this. My carrier inverter ac which was purchased in 2017 March has gone kaput.
...... If possible it will be repaired costing 3-4k (IC should not have burnt) or I will have to purchase a new PCB board costing 12k. Awaiting his response.
So the mechanic brought the repaired board and tried to start the unit. But it didnt work. Then he informed the IC on the board has conked off and the entire board will need to be replaced costing 12k.
Now I am regretting buying the inverter ac thinking there will be cost savings. The difference in the buying cost of fixed speed compressor and inverter ACs is not as high as one would imagine.
Any notional cost savings due to inverter AC usage gets nullified in 5 years since the PCB in an inverter AC fails more often than not. Hence think twice before going for an inverter AC.
LG and Voltas inverter ACs come with 5 years PCB and 10 years compressor warranty incl gas charging. Its better to go with these for peace of mind.

Last edited by hrman : 9th April 2022 at 11:40.
hrman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 09:44   #7084
BHPian

Quote:
LG and Voltas inverter ACs come with 5 years PCB and 10 years compressor warranty incl gas charging. Its better to go with these for peace of mind.
Voltas has removed free gas charging from their 4 years extended warranty for ACs sold this year.
For free gas charging I have been told to take AMC for 4 years for Rs 5100 which would include 2 preventive maintenance every year free for 4 years. I have paid this Rs 5100 and now I am waiting AMC documents from Voltas. I will update when I receive AMC document.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 10:53   #7085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Voltas has removed free gas charging from their 4 years extended warranty for ACs sold this year.
For free gas charging I have been told to take AMC for 4 years for Rs 5100 which would include 2 preventive maintenance every year free for 4 years. I have paid this Rs 5100 and now I am waiting AMC documents from Voltas. I will update when I receive AMC document.
Thanks for sharing. You are right. These are the Voltas AC terms on the Croma website.

https://www.croma.com/tc-voltas-ac-warranty

I think LG's warranty is more clear in terms of coverage and 10 years on compressor including gas charging by LG is I think the best in the market today.

Last edited by hrman : 10th April 2022 at 10:56.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 17:44   #7086
BHPian

Bought 10 Mitsubishi Inverter a/cs for the new house. Most of them (except the 1 T capacity) are 5*. Included is two years AMC . Warranty- 10 years for compressor and 5 years for PCB. Installation costs extra.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 08:55   #7087
BHPian

Update on my two Mistubishi Electric (MSY-GN15) and two General (ASGG14CGTA) inverter split ACs in 4th season.

Mitsubishi Electric going strong as if new.

One of General leaked refrigerant. Noticed that in General back part of cooling coil is of smaller diameter than the front part! Mistsubhisi is having same diameter cooling coils in back and front.

However, fear of PCB going kaput led me to change V-guard voltage stabilisers meant for non-inverter to those for inverter ACs.
Old 11th April 2022, 09:52   #7088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Update on my two Mistubishi Electric (MSY-GN15) and two General (ASGG14CGTA) inverter split ACs in 4th season.

However, fear of PCB going kaput led me to change V-guard voltage stabilisers meant for non-inverter to those for inverter ACs.
Most modern Inverter AC have a voltage tolerance of 160V to 260V, so a voltage stabilizer is rarely needed. Further stabilizer cannot safeguard your appliances against voltage spikes. Thirdly a stabilizer that has mechanical actuation - servo, step by step etc, gan be dangerous when the mains suddely changes from low to normal voltage.

In short it is better to have a spike protector (for ease of mind) than a stabilizer.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 03:05   #7089
Senior - BHPian

What could be the cause of an uneven wind blowing sound coming from an AC intermittently ?

It started post service and is quite annoying at night because it comes and goes intermittently at varying volumes. Air flow also becomes uneven and gusty on the side where the sound is coming from. Service guys came again and cleaned some more cleaning on the noisy side and the sound went away temporarily.

After that I have cleaned it myself with a blower and pump spray bottle and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Washed and cleaned the ODU too but that made no difference. I mostly goes away when I run the blower at full speed but that's not the solution.
Gas pressure is fine and no icing on the coils.
I will be calling the technicians again but want to understand the possible cause and solution first if possible.
They had removed the cover when cleaning it the first time, could it be caused by some flap in the wrong position or and air gap due to wrong fitment of the cover ?
Also should mention that on their 2nd visit and one of my cleanings bleach flush was done by pouring on the channel and lower parts of the coil and both times the sound went away for a few days, although sound also went away when bleach wasn't used as well.
Could the dirt from the initial cleaning be clogging the drain pipe occasionally ? Water is pooling and making the gusty sound (but what about disturbed air flow pattern ?) Unclogging the drain with bleach prevents this or blower on full makes it evaporate which is why it goes away on these 2 conditions.
Also how safe is bleach on the coils ? The coils are definitely not clogged for sure and removing or cleaning the filter makes no difference.
These unpredictable problems are the most annoying to solve just as it is with our cars !
Old 12th April 2022, 07:35   #7090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most modern Inverter AC have a voltage tolerance of 160V to 260V, so a voltage stabilizer is rarely needed. Further stabilizer cannot safeguard your appliances against voltage spikes. Thirdly a stabilizer that has mechanical actuation - servo, step by step etc, gan be dangerous when the mains suddely changes from low to normal voltage.

In short it is better to have a spike protector (for ease of mind) than a stabilizer.
A couple of years ago I installed 3 Sollatek Voltshield A/C guard spike protectors.

https://www.sollatek.com/products/ac-guard/

These have worked well.

But now these are not available locally or online.

Is there an alternative product with matching specifications+reputation in the Indian market right now?

Any pointers world be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.!
Old 12th April 2022, 08:23   #7091
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Now switch on the fan at the lowest speed. This will spread the cool air coming out uniformly across the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Based on the suggestions here, even I have started using ceiling fan along with AC since last couple of years and I am quite happy with the flow.
This is such an insanely good tip, thanks guys! Started keeping the ceiling fan on low speed with the AC and it greatly, greatly helps in a uniform spread. I'm extremely sensitive to temperature changes & found this to be the best combination.

Been sleeping like a log since a couple of days. Good sleep for 7 - 8 hours = feel like I'm on top of the world.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 09:46   #7092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
Hi,
Please advise on how to get this sorted. The AC is still in warranty. LG India does not respond to tweets and their technician has a threatening tone.
Please check your Stabilizer, whether the power output is coming as normal.

Last month just after cleaning was facing a burning smell, turned out to be Stabilizer, which had some parts which was melting due to short circuit.
Arun_S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 09:50   #7093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
What could be the cause of an uneven wind blowing sound coming from an AC intermittently ? !
Does your ac come with a mode called Chaos logic or something similar. That's an LG term, can be different for you depending on brand. It is programmed to give that natural uneven gusts of air. Do check out the manual or the remote for such mode.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 11:26   #7094
BHPian

Quote:
So the mechanic brought the repaired board and tried to start the unit. But it didnt work. Then he informed the IC on the board has conked off and the entire board will need to be replaced costing 12k.
Now I am regretting buying the inverter ac thinking there will be cost savings. The difference in the buying cost of fixed speed compressor and inverter ACs is not as high as one would imagine.
Any notional cost savings due to inverter AC usage gets nullified in 5 years since the PCB in an inverter AC fails more often than not. Hence think twice before going for an inverter AC.

Completely agree! The joy of owning a mechanically robust, simple air conditioner that works reliably far outweighs the experience of owning an unnecessarily complex model that has a few more stars, or higher energy savings that come at the cost of frequent failures.

I have two Daikin 0.8 Tonne split ACs, and this gem of a model cools better than most other 1 Tonne ACs I have used, is far more silent, and although I haven't measured its power consumption, it hasn't put a spike in the monthly bill for sure. And yes, it doesn't need a stabilizer as it has one built in.

To give an analogy that everyone on this forum will readily understand - this is the Toyota Innova of ACs. Simple, reliable, gets the job done!
vijaysrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 11:41   #7095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
Please advise on how to get this sorted. The AC is still in warranty. LG India does not respond to tweets and their technician has a threatening tone.
Can you remove the air filter, operate the aircon and let us know if the smell persists? Some of these carbon activated or electrostatic filters can cause this.

The problem you report is difficult to diagnose. If it were a refrigerant leak, then you won't have any cooling. If it is cooling, there is refrigerant in the system. Refrigerant is technically odorless, however, they do add odor for the purpose of identifying a potential system leak.

If the technician is threatening, you need to report this to LG. Such behavior is unacceptable.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks