Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 17:46   #6946
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Is such a big hole needed ? Should these bricks be supported with some metal sheet or something else?

I was thinking of getting a round metal pipe wide enough to accommodate the idu pipes, cut off the excess length beyond the brick wall, and fill the remaining gap - between the bricks and the metal pipe with concrete.
Isn't the hole position determined by the mounting bracket and marked on the supplied template? The pipes are usually not exposed.

A two-inch plastic pipe is fine. easy to cut to length. It can be cemented into the wall.

After installation, seal the outside end with white cement. That will keep insects/etc out. It is easily broken out if necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The biggest bummer is that, the filter is on the top and exposed (unlike in the other brand where the filter in inside the front part). Due to this, I have clean the filter every month.
My ACs do not have open front panel, but the filter wraps around top and front of the cooling coil. All the incoming air has to go through the filters: whatever the design, there will be the same amount of dust and the same amount of cleaning.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 18:53   #6947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Guys I need some advice regarding this hole for the idu pipes.

Is such a big hole needed ? Should these bricks be supported with some metal sheet or something else?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Once such a big opening is done and requires to be filled up and finished, why not go a step further by enlarging the hole upwards or as necessary, so that the refrigerant pipes are fully concealed by IDU. You are going to fill up and seal the opening later anyway.
Placing a 2 inch dia PVC pipe during or prior to installation of piping is a good practice. However, it it is not done and piping installed, you can cut any Polycarbonate Water bottle to the length of the wall thickness and splice it fully. This can now be wrapped around the refrigerant pipe, inserted in the wall. Fill up the internal with loose foam sheet cut pieces stuffed around and between the pipes and finish with White Cement or Plaster of Paris. Leave the smooth finishing part for the professional Painters.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 10:43   #6948
Senior - BHPian

One problem with LG Inverter AC is that the filter is at top of the IDU. This improves the aesthetics, but the location is a dust magnet and clogs up very fast. In Delhi's dusty environment I clean the filter every two/three days.
Old 7th July 2021, 17:46   #6949
BANNED

Thanks everyone! I don't have to mess with a metal pipe. Plastic/ pvc will be convenient. Thanks
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:14   #6950
BHPian

I am thinking of buying LG Windows Inverter AC 1.5 ton.

Model LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Window AC (Wi-Fi Supported, Copper Condenser, JW-Q18WUZA, White)

Any ideas how it is?Is it good? Feedback on Amazon seems encouraging. Any other Windows Inverter AC recommended?

My current inverter AC has started giving P4 error and technicians don't know what is the issue hence need to buy. Anyone knows what could be the issue.

Thanks for the help.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:25   #6951
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Bought this AC day before yesterday - 5 star, 1.5 T

Price = 32,000 (Plus 5% cashback on my ICICI credit card)
Extended warranty = Re 3,231 (two years, so total warranty = 3 years)
Removal of old AC + Installation = 750
Retailer = Vijay Sales, Dwarka.

I was offered Rs 3,000 for my old 1.5 T window AC, which I refused. Got that one serviced, cleaned, and the gas refilled. It will now do duties in a room that is seldom used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post

Model LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Window AC (Wi-Fi Supported, Copper Condenser, JW-Q18WUZA, White)

Any ideas how it is?Is it good? Feedback on Amazon seems encouraging. Any other Windows Inverter AC recommended?

My current inverter AC has started giving P4 error and technicians don't know what is the issue hence need to buy. Anyone knows what could be the issue.

Thanks for the help.
I am pretty happy with this AC, been using it for more than a year now.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:09   #6952
Distinguished - BHPian

Ohmygod... Mechanics are doing water wash on our hall AC. It is scary wondering where all water will go. Oh well, it is my first time, but I guess it isn't theirs
Old 23rd July 2021, 16:59   #6953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mechanics are doing water wash on our hall AC. It is scary wondering where all water will go.
Three hours later...

It didn't actually go well. Their pressure-wash machine stopped working and they were unable to complete the job. Yes, there was some water spread around.

They are now putting the AC back in functioning order (I hope) and will hopefully return tomorrow* with a working machine.

These things happen. They did their best to fix it.

*Otherwise known as Monday, to fit wife's schedule. I'll complete the story then.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 15:32   #6954
Distinguished - BHPian

Interim Update...
Quote:
They are now putting the AC back in functioning order
They did, and although they said they had only cleaned one side of the machine, it has made an amazing difference: it is cooling again.

So things can only get better. Hopefully.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 20:39   #6955
Distinguished - BHPian

Water Wash Finished

The technicians polished off the second half of the job in one third of the time it took the first-visit guys to do their half.

The advised us that every AC should have "chemical cleaning" (I didn't notice any additive, but there could have been one) once a year. They also said that the office bosses never volunteer it, but we should demand it. They said that one other of our machines needs it: should be done next week.

This is how we prepared for the visit. There is a lot of stuff underneath there that needed to be dry!

The home / office air-conditioner thread-tarp.jpg

On the other hand, if your AC is on a bare wall with clear tiles under it, all you'd need is a mop.

The used water that had passed through the machine was totally black. It is now functioning very well again. Except it now has a high-pitch whine: I suspect they might have washed the lubricant out of a bearing. We have to get it fixed: it is not a liveable-with noise!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th July 2021 at 20:43.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 23:57   #6956
BHPian

Quote:

Also check the Panasonic Inverter AC range; equal features like the LG one. We bought the KU18WKYXF model in March from Reliance Digital and it works like a charm. The major benefit of Panasonic is the weather-resistant silver coated outdoor unit. That was a dealbreaker for me, since my building is closer to the sea in Mumbai.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:08   #6957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is now functioning very well again. Except it now has a high-pitch whine: I suspect they might have washed the lubricant out of a bearing. We have to get it fixed: it is not a liveable-with noise!
Spray WD40 if the noise source is hard to reach or use silicon grease if easy to reach. Similar problem happened to my AC as well. The blower motor started making noise after pressure wash. A shot or two of WD40 at the motor spindle fixed the noise for good. You guessed correctly, the pressure wash removed all the lubricating grease and oils.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:40   #6958
BHPian

Quote:
Water Wash Finished
The used water that had passed through the machine was totally black. It is now functioning very well again.
I have been using the in-situ IDU cleaning with pressure wash for a couple of years. It is a temporary job and the AC required pressure cleaning every 4 months.
I opted for full cleaning this time. They removed the IDU and dismantled the whole unit. Then they used pressure washer on all items except the electronics PCB and the blower motor.
They showed me the muck collected behind the fins - due to the regular in-situ pressure washing. It has clogged the fins so much the CPU of the AC thinks, it is a fault condition and doesn't allow the compressor to reach the full speed.

After the clean up, the AC works like new. In the earlier days, they used chemicals (probably Hydrochloric acid) to clear the accumulated muck. Fortunately the pressure pump has stopped the acid wash.

As a bonus, the power consumption has dropped too - from 8 units a day to 5 units.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 20:13   #6959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Spray WD40 if the noise source is hard to reach or use silicon grease if easy to reach. Similar problem happened to my AC as well. The blower motor started making noise after pressure wash. A shot or two of WD40 at the motor spindle fixed the noise for good. You guessed correctly, the pressure wash removed all the lubricating grease and oils.
I was also thinking, and don't allow them to go pouring coconut oil into the works.

I have silicon grease, ordinary general-purpose grease, and Singer machine oil (and, even, a bottle of engine oil!). I am doubtful about one thing, though. Won't the bearings be sealed bearings?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 10:16   #6960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you google for that code, it suggests its a inverter compressor drive error or failure. My guess is your compressor is still under warranty. Technicians might be avoiding it knowing its a big job and not something that they can make money on. Push for an investigation and tell them it might be compressor related.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks