Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2022, 21:53   #7021
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

<infra-red sensor>

Slip of the tongue? It needs an infra-red transmitter. Mine; Mi A1, and comes with that app installed. I don't find the Mitsubishi remotes too bad: I've never yet had the luxury of a back-lit remote for any AC, although I've seen them for Whirlpool at another house. Sure, it's a good idea, although I'd only notice in the bedroom.

Our bedroom has an ancient, bought-used Daikin, and I did try to program the Mi remote app. I failed.

What I'd most like in an AC remote...

Yes, back-lighting, but first, I'd like half degrees in the remote and control circuitry. Centigrade degrees are just to big: a half degree would be a much more comfortable step.

(Off topic, the thing I do sometimes use my Mi Remote for is the camera, with a simple, brand specific, shutter-release app)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd March 2022 at 21:55.
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:48   #7022
Team-BHP Support

I ordered a non inverter AC for myself. Was checking power consumption and found inverter or non inverter models consuming almost similar power, between 1500w to 1800w for 1.5T. Except this, it had unbelievable low rating. I had ordered this BTW.

I found Blue Star to have similar (low) power ratings. My AC technician & general appliance guy has Whirlpool's ASC, hence went for Whirlpool.
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:46   #7023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Was checking power consumption and found inverter or non inverter models consuming almost similar power, between 1500w to 1800w for 1.5T.
The next time you're in the market for an air conditioner, get an Inverter. More so if its one that will be used a lot. While the cost to buy one is higher, the savings start the moment you turn them on, compared to a non-inverter.

Taking an example of that 1.5t unit above, it can operate down to .5t and ramp up to 1.7t. Yes, they can exceed the rated capacity for short period when the situation demands that extra cooling or heating power. Its a vastly superior technology.

Once the set temperature is reached or comes close to it, the aircon is no longer operating at its maximum rated capacity. It reduces compressor speed a fair bit which directly translates to less units pulled from the socket. In the long run, you save. Daikin is one of few brands that publish power consumption range across various states of the Inverter AC operating. It can drop as low as 400 watts!

When those non-inverter units cycle between on and off, there is sharp spike when they go ON again and it takes several minutes to stabilize and bring down their power draw. This constant on-off cycling not only draws a lot of power, its not stable for cooling too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd March 2022 at 09:50.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 10:16   #7024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I ordered a non inverter AC for myself. Was checking power consumption and found inverter or non inverter models consuming almost similar power, between 1500w to 1800w for 1.5T. Except this, it had unbelievable low rating. I had ordered this BTW.

I found Blue Star to have similar (low) power ratings. My AC technician & general appliance guy has Whirlpool's ASC, hence went for Whirlpool.
Wish you went with a 5 star unit Sheel.

Between a 3 star and 5 star rated unit, if you are looking at 6-8 hours of daily running, the electricity bills would be significantly lower with the 5 star rated AC. You're looking at the ROI within 2 years.

Making sandeepmohan's point simpler - a non-inverter, conventional unit turns the compressor ON and OFF when the room is to be cooled to the set temperature. Draws a high current when the compressor starts (if you have a clamp DMM you can measure this). The inverter unit's compressor is always ON but the motor runs at a reduced speed when the room reaches the set temperature. This results in significantly lower power consumption.

I have a Carrier 5 star non-inverter in the bedroom (purchased in May 2016) and a Carrier 5 star inverter unit in the drawing room (purchased in May 2020). Room temperatures is set to 26-27'C. Switched to the drawing room during summers (stay alone so a single sofa-cot suffices) when the AC is turned on. All other things being constant, I guess this graph from our state's EB bill payment site is self explanatory:

Name:  AC.png
Views: 366
Size:  26.0 KB
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:54   #7025
Senior - BHPian

I have used the LG Diagnostic app extensively to map the power consumption of my bed room AC. Here is what I found

. On switching on 0.2A, which ramps up slowly to 8A within 5 minutes.
. Full blast at 45 degrees+ - 8A
. After 1 hour - 5.6A
. After 4 hours - 3A
. At night after 8 hours of running 2.4A
. When the outside temperature is 30 and inside set at 25 - 1.2A
. When the indoor is hotter than outdoor - 0A, that is the ODU switches off

So an Inverter AC does reduce the electricity consumption drastically over non inverter AC, plus you get a constant temperature verses cold when compressor is on and warm when off.

Mind you the temperature at the outlet is generally 8-14 degrees in a non inverter AC, while it slowly attains the set temperature in an inverter AC.

Last edited by Aroy : 23rd March 2022 at 11:57.
Aroy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:49   #7026
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Sheel - Power consumption parameter you are looking is the max rated consumption. It is applicable for the maximum cooling capacity of an AC. For inverter this will vary significantly from a min value to max value depending on the operating conditions (During start it will be high and then it will drop significantly). So please do not go by the power rating only.

The specs given in Flipkart are wrong. They simply have taken the Annual energy consumption (Kw/hr) figure as max rated power (W) which is nonsense. Most likely it is a listing error. Panasonic power max wattage is given as 1360W in Amazon and Bluestar is 1200W (you need to calculate by cooling capacity/ISEER).

I never take the specs from online shopping sites and use the manufacturer specs from their website. And, I use the Total Cost of Ownership for these type long term items. You can use Bijlibachao website for energy efficient selection of appliances.

As others pointed out, Inverter ACs score high for regular usage. Fixed speed ACs are more suited for sparingly used rooms like guests room which gets occupied rarely. If you are keen in getting fixed speed ACs, please get one with maximum ISEER within a particular star rating.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 20:51   #7027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The next time you're in the market for an air conditioner, get an Inverter. More so if its one that will be used a lot. While the cost to buy one is higher, the savings start the moment you turn them on, compared to a non-inverter.

Taking an example of that 1.5t unit above, it can operate down to .5t

When those non-inverter units cycle between on and off, there is sharp spike when they go ON again and it takes several minutes to stabilize and bring down their power draw. This constant o n-off cycling not only draws a lot of power, its not stable for cooling too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Wish you went with a 5 star unit Sheel.

Between a 3 star and 5 star rated unit, if you are looking at 6-8 hours of daily running, the electricity bills would be significantly lower with the 5 star rated AC. You're looking at the ROI within 2 years.
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

So an Inverter AC does reduce the electricity consumption drastically over non inverter AC, plus you get a constant temperature verses cold when compressor is on and warm when off.

Mind you the temperature at the outlet is generally 8-14 degrees in a non inverter AC, while it slowly attains the set temperature in an inverter AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Sheel - Power consumption parameter you are looking is the max rated consumption. It is applicable for the maximum cooling capacity of an AC. For inverter this will vary significantly from a min value to max value depending on the operating conditions.

As others pointed out, Inverter ACs score high for regular usage. Fixed speed ACs are more suited for sparingly used rooms like guests room which gets occupied rarely. If you are keen in getting fixed speed ACs, please get one with maximum ISEER within a particular star rating.
Thanks for the response guys. Much appreciated. If you people are suggesting to not go ahead with it, I will simply cancel it.

My AC guy was suggesting that routine maintenance as well as parts replacement (PCB’s & other bits) are fewer and the non inverter ones are hardy. My ~15 year old split is working great even today and has not required even a gas refill while the inverter one (aluminium) has leaked.

Another AC guy whom I know has an ASC of Carrier, but I am not sure of how Carrier AC’s are. I have to get 2 units. One in 1.5T and another in 1T (for now). May require additional 5 units, all in 1.5T but not immediately.

Should I stick with known guys for service (Whirlpool) or get something from Reliance Digital and let them oversee installation / service?
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:56   #7028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
<infra-red sensor>

Slip of the tongue? It needs an infra-red transmitter. Mine; Mi A1, and comes with that app installed. I don't find the Mitsubishi remotes too bad: I've never yet had the luxury of a back-lit remote for any AC, although I've seen them for Whirlpool at another house. Sure, it's a good idea, although I'd only notice in the bedroom.
Yes Sir! I meant IR transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What I'd most like in an AC remote...

Yes, back-lighting, but first, I'd like half degrees in the remote and control circuitry. Centigrade degrees are just to big: a half degree would be a much more comfortable step.
After reading your message, I realized that even I am missing this 0.5 degrees adjustment. For example, for me the ideal temp setting would be 25.5, but it is not possible to set the same!
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 02:47   #7029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My AC guy was suggesting that routine maintenance as well as parts replacement (PCB’s & other bits) are fewer and the non inverter ones are hardy. My ~15 year old split is working great even today and has not required even a gas refill while the inverter one (aluminium) has leaked. Should I stick with known guys for service (Whirlpool) or get something from Reliance Digital and let them oversee installation / service?
If you have the option of switching over to an Inverter drive unit, go for it. I thought you had purchased and installed the unit.

The circuitry, build & design is definitely complex with a Inverter unit. That said, the technology isn't new. We're just late to the game and there is the usual reluctance to pay more for advanced technology due to lack of knowledge. Our technicians are not confident to handle them and so the usual, stick to the less complex non inverter units is the usual say in the market. In the end, you need to think that its beneficial for you. Not only for power saved, a more comfortable environment. You sleep better.

Refrigerant leaks can happen with any air conditioner. Poor installation, material failure has no relation to the technology used within, that is, Inverter or non-inverter.

I prefer to stick to a brand that specializes in air conditioning. I'd pick Blue Star over Whirlpool any day. Even a Midea will be a safer bet than Whirpool. Won't come as a surprise if Whirlpool, Blue Star are sourcing their units from them. When it comes to Inverter tech, Japanese units are leaders in this space. They invented the tech and have refined it over the last few decades. The Koreans have also caught up.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th March 2022 at 02:50.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 13:21   #7030
BHPian

There is a weird buzzing sound coming from my brand new Sanyo AC compressor. What could be the reason for the sound?
Old 25th March 2022, 14:52   #7031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
There is a weird buzzing sound coming from my brand new Sanyo AC compressor. What could be the reason for the sound? Link
Fan blades hitting something like paper or plastic.?
Old 25th March 2022, 15:03   #7032
BHPian

Even I am trying to figure out what could be the reason for the sound. If it is something serious then I will return the unit. The brand technician said it is normal which I am know for sure is not true.
Old 29th March 2022, 10:58   #7033
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, this is really becoming a royal pain. Would appreciate suggestions.

The new Mitsubishi AC (their flagship model, apparently) is still unable to consistently maintain temperatures all through the night. Whether in auto mode or in manual mode (22 or 23 with blower level 2), it's all fine until 0430 - 0500 hours in the morning. Then, depending on the setting, things either get too cold or too warm. I'm extremely sensitive to temperature and such a variation early in the morning jolts me out of my sleep.

It's come to a point where I have missed some gym workouts in the last 2 weeks because of these sudden changes in the early morning temps. I am ready to swap this AC with that of another room in the house, but Mitsubishi insisted I give them a last chance.

Today, they are changing the PCB as well as the indoor & outdoor sensors. Anything else I can do? Sleep is very, very important to my long daily schedule and this stupid AC is really affecting my routine.

Thanks in advance.

My AC tech tells me to avoid inverter ACs as they are too efficiency-focussed. He says that, being how particular about room temperatures as I am, it's best to buy a conventional type AC, even if the power usage is higher. True?

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2022 at 11:01.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:16   #7034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My AC guy was suggesting that routine maintenance as well as parts replacement (PCB’s & other bits) are fewer and the non inverter ones are hardy. My ~15 year old split is working great even today and has not required even a gas refill while the inverter one (aluminium) has leaked.
This is what I was / am thinking, but the BHPians made me cancel this [ OR (time will tell)] and have ordered a Daikin 4 star inverter unit. Daikin service over here is very efficient so I am trusting them. But I can update about my experience post ~15th May as we don't need AC's just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My AC tech tells me to avoid inverter ACs as they are too efficiency-focussed. He says that, being how particular about room temperatures as I am, it's best to buy a conventional type AC, even if the power usage is higher. True?
Is this the other guy and not a Mitsubishi guy? Modern tech is not kind to old timers, see if you can rope in someone new who understands the tech better / have a 3rd opinion.

Room temperature, completely dark room and complete silence is what I need, any fluctuation which disturbs my sleep cycle and my day is ruined. Hence no phones in bedroom.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:47   #7035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Modern tech is not kind to old timers
Are you implying that GTO is an "old-timer"?

My family says I am blessed because I can sleep through world war 3. I have slept in Planes, Trains, Museums (standing against a wall) even once while sitting in a chair on a tennis court (in 40 deg Delhi heat).

Last edited by navin : 29th March 2022 at 11:54.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks