Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2021, 12:58   #6886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Even my Inverter AC ( in bedroom upstairs) requires deep cleaning every six months
Aroy what do you mean by deep cleaning? My MHI is two years old and is cooling less though i get it serviced every 4 months or so. My technician cleans with a paint brush the fins and the rotating fan very thoroughly. He suggested next one to remove the IDU and pressure wash it for better cooling. Is this what you mean by deep cleaning too?
Old 27th May 2021, 14:20   #6887
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Aroy what do you mean by deep cleaning? My MHI is two years old and is cooling less though i get it serviced every 4 months or so. My technician cleans with a paint brush the fins and the rotating fan very thoroughly. He suggested next one to remove the IDU and pressure wash it for better cooling. Is this what you mean by deep cleaning too?
Deep cleaning is the one where the cover of the IDU is removed and the coils are rinsed with pressure water. The amount of accumulated gunk that comes out depends on how old the AC is. In my case, the first time the quantity of dirt was staggering. I got it repeated this year as well and the dirt that came out was less compared to last year cleaning but still there was a good amount.

I also clean the ODU once a year before the onset of summer. The coils accumulate a lot of dirt and get baked on with sun and rain. With a clean IDU and ODU, the AC cools so well that I have never set the temperature below 26 Celsius.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 14:44   #6888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Deep cleaning is the one where the cover of the IDU is removed and the coils are rinsed with pressure water.
I also clean the ODU once a year before the onset of summer.
Thanks Sagar, my technician removes the IDU grill and cleans very thoroughly every time he visits with a brush but for pressure wash he wants to remove the whole IDU by pumping down the gas and disconnecting the gas pipes and pressure washing the IDU in the bathroom. The ODU is cleaned every four months with air blower and soap/water applied carefully with a brush and mug. In the past other guys have used a pressure washer on the ODU as well but my regular technician does not do this. In Chennai my ac is always set to 18 in summer and maybe 22 in winter. Kids and my mom keep theirs around 20-22 too. I regularly get all acs serviced by the same guy usually.
Instead of detaching and removing the IDU maybe the URBAN Co pressure wash can be attempted as my regular guy does not do this when the IDU is mounted on the wall.
Old 27th May 2021, 14:59   #6889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sagar, my technician removes the IDU grill and cleans very thoroughly every time he visits with a brush but for pressure wash he wants to remove the whole IDU by pumping down the gas and disconnecting the gas pipes and pressure washing the IDU in the bathroom. The ODU is cleaned every four months with air blower and soap/water applied carefully with a brush and mug. In the past other guys have used a pressure washer on the ODU as well but my regular technician does not do this. In Chennai my ac is always set to 18 in summer and maybe 22 in winter. Kids and my mom keep theirs around 20-22 too. I regularly get all acs serviced by the same guy usually.
Instead of detaching and removing the IDU maybe the URBAN Co pressure wash can be attempted as my regular guy does not do this when the IDU is mounted on the wall.
That's a good maintenance schedule you have.

Yes, Chennai summers are lot harsher than Bangalore summers. I have used the Urban Company service both the time . I have been very happy.

Removing the whole IDU and cleaning in bathroom is not required when you have better and easier option from Urban company. The problem with the cleaning the coils with brush is the reach of the brush is limited and it does not clean the mold and the fungus growth. With the pressure wash, I spray dettol mixed with water on the coils after the pressure wash to kill(hopefully) the mold and the fungus. It has worked for me both the times. I used to get musty smell from AC for many years when used for more than 30 mins. All this is gone with the urban company cleaning
Old 27th May 2021, 15:00   #6890
Team-BHP Support

18 degrees always? Surely that is not healthy - for you as well as the AC.
Eddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 15:11   #6891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
18 degrees always? Surely that is not healthy - for you as well as the AC.
Unfortunately yes, my bedroom ac is always at 18-20 with fan on 4 in summers and 3 in winters. This is a 5 star inverter from MHI and i am not at all happy with its cooling capability, especially in the summer. I got suckered into buying it with their slick brochures and claims of desert cooling etc... I think when going in for an inverter model, we should go up one notch higher for eg if size room suggests 1.5T, we should go to maybe 1.8T or 2T depending on the brand, to get the same effect as a non-inverter fixed speed model.
Quote:
Removing the whole IDU and cleaning in bathroom is not required when you have better and easier option from Urban company.
I will try out UC once too for this IDU water wash. During last years lockdown, when i serviced the acs myself, i did use dettol in a mug and poured it on the IDU fins too.
Old 27th May 2021, 15:22   #6892
BANNED

Quote:
That's a good maintenance schedule you have.

Yes, Chennai summers are lot harsher than Bangalore summers. I have used the Urban Company service both the time . I have been very happy.

Removing the whole IDU and cleaning in bathroom is not required when you have better and easier option from Urban company. The problem with the cleaning the coils with brush is the reach of the brush is limited and it does not clean the mold and the fungus growth. With the pressure wash, I spray dettol mixed with water on the coils after the pressure wash to kill(hopefully) the mold and the fungus. It has worked for me both the times. I used to get musty smell from AC for many years when used for more than 30 mins. All this is gone with the urban company cleaning
How much does it cost you for the deep cleaning? Is it part of a standard service offering from UC or do you negotiate the extra work? I would like to do mine.

PS: unless the room is sealed and AC capacity sizing is correct - setting it to 18C will be actually counterproductive on AC health and also spike your electricity bills. The ideal recommendation is to set it to 24C. The main relief comes not from absolutely low temperatures but lowered humidity. From my personal experience - If I get 63% humidity levels or lower and actual room temperatures around 24C-26C, then I do not notice variations in the weather outdoors throughout nor feel the uncomfortable sweatiness and stickiness. In effect like a climate control indoors.

Last edited by Ragul : 27th May 2021 at 15:24.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 15:43   #6893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
........ I got suckered into buying it with their slick brochures and claims of desert cooling etc... I think when going in for an inverter model, ......
Have you checked if the high and low side refrigerant pressure is as per the requirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
How much does it cost you for the deep cleaning? Is it part of a standard service offering from UC or do you negotiate the extra work? I would like to do mine.

It is their standard service. It cost be around 600 plus tax this time .
Old 28th May 2021, 02:09   #6894
BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked if the high and low side refrigerant pressure is as per the requirement?
No i have not because this is in its second year and in the winter it was very cold. I have a sonoff wifi switch hooked on this ac and the thing that i dont like about these inverter acs is that i cannot force it to run on full steam, atleast i have not found a way. My sonoff shows me that the unit is consuming only 632w against a full steam wattage of 1650 or so. I rarely see it at the 1600+ consumption level even if my setting is 18 degrees and fan at full speed.
Old 28th May 2021, 10:27   #6895
BHPian

Quote:
No i have not because this is in its second year and in the winter it was very cold. ....i dont like about these inverter acs is that i cannot force it to run on full steam, atleast i have not found a way. My sonoff shows me that the unit is consuming only 632w against a full steam wattage of 1650 or so. I rarely see it at the 1600+ consumption level even if my setting is 18 degrees and fan at full speed.
It is a problem with inverter ACs. If the IDU's fins are clogged (they will within 4 months), they will not run at full speed no matter what you do. This is the reason why you need to use pressure wash every 4 months. The deep cleaning clears the clogged fins and the compressor will go full speed.
The fixed speed compressor is better in this and their control board knows only to turn on/off unlike the complicated inverter control board which controls the compressor in a seamless way from 0 -100 %.
Old 28th May 2021, 10:43   #6896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My LG Inverter is three years old. Somehow my bedroom AC's get a lot of dust. This has been a bane for ages with my window AC's getting clogged and requiring a thorough wash at least twice a year.

Coming to the LG split.

First year the dust jammed the condenser. It was a joint effort of dust and high humidity during rains. After inspecting the unit, the technicians decided to dismantle the IDU. They then took to our garden a gave it a thorough wash. You had to see the dirt that came out

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_6765.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_6766.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_6768.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_6775.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-psc_6780.jpg

That was quite some job.

Next year they did the washing in-situ

The home / office air-conditioner thread-qsc_6234.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-qsc_6239.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-qsc_6246.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-qsc_6251.jpg

The home / office air-conditioner thread-qsc_6261.jpg

So that is deep cleaning. By the way the cleaning after dismantling was way better than in-situ.

If you are wondering about gas, don't. The system just pumps all the gas into ODU, and the proper valves are closed, so practically no gas is wasted.
Aroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 10:52   #6897
BANNED

Quote:
So that is deep cleaning. By the way the cleaning after dismantling was way better than in-situ.

If you are wondering about gas, don't. The system just pumps all the gas into ODU, and the proper valves are closed, so practically no gas is wasted.
Cleaning makes quite a difference in performance, seems like they did a nice job. If you don't mind, how much did they charge you for in-situ cleaning and for dismantle cleaning?
Old 28th May 2021, 12:37   #6898
BHPian

Quote:
By the way the cleaning after dismantling was way better than in-situ.
Thanks i have gotten the dismantling and cleaning with chemical done once by Daikin company sent technician and once by a known guy. The known guy pressure washed and messed up by dropping the IDU cylindrical fan and breaking one of its locking points. He also did not fasten the nut well between IDU and ODU leading to a gas leak. That episode cost me 11k or so and since then i have been averse to allow these technicians to fiddle with a well running system. I will try the insitu wash once with UC. Btw can an air blower be used for the fins to unclog them?
Old 28th May 2021, 13:09   #6899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Btw can an air blower be used for the fins to unclog them?
Won't work. The dust will be baked on. When you call the UC AC service, ask them to clean the blower fins as well.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:21   #6900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Cleaning makes quite a difference in performance, seems like they did a nice job. If you don't mind, how much did they charge you for in-situ cleaning and for dismantle cleaning?
As I had a 5 year extended warranty it cost ZERO.

In fact in the past 3 years they have dismantled and cleaned the IDU twice and done pressure in-situ washing three times.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks