Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2017, 12:54   #5386
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Sharp AC Saaaaaaaga...

It is at the local guy's shop, reported to have worked for two-hour test. Coming back today or tomorrow. We'll see.

It seems they replaced parts on our controller board.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:26   #5387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sharp AC Saaaaaaaga...

It is at the local guy's shop, reported to have worked for two-hour test. Coming back today or tomorrow. We'll see.

It seems they replaced parts on our controller board.
Good Luck. I have ditched my Voltas AC and bought a Panasonic. I am worried about the slow 'decay' of the condenser fins in coastal Madras. The sales executive told me that if the external unit is kept under some sort of roof over it, they would last longer.

The acidic rains and bird poop are the main reasons why these fins ( Cu or Al) fail early. Is there some sort of spray on coating like we have for cars ?
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:07   #5388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Good Luck. I have ditched my Voltas AC and bought a Panasonic. I am worried about the slow 'decay' of the condenser fins in coastal Madras. The sales executive told me that if the external unit is kept under some sort of roof over it, they would last longer.

The acidic rains and bird poop are the main reasons why these fins ( Cu or Al) fail early. Is there some sort of spray on coating like we have for cars ?
I guess this is where the old technology products with thicker fins and larger spacing trump over the new ones.

In some respect especially against acid rain, Aluminum fins should be more resistant than copper ones, as Aluminum forms an oxide layer which is not only hard, but also corrosion resistant.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:09   #5389
BHPian

My AC buying ended up in an kind of anticlimax, finally buying something that was never in my list. Flipkart had the Carrier Superia 4i 1.5T going at 40K on special promotion, which was very hard to resist, and then I got 1K off on credit card too.

Add another 4K for installation and stabilizer (not sure I should get it though), and that makes it 43K, which is pretty much a good price for a 4 star inverter AC.

Still wary about reports of noise, but hope at low fan speed noise would be manageable. No corrosion protection too, I guess, so perhaps I may have to install a soft roof over the ODU.
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:32   #5390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Good Luck. I have ditched my Voltas AC and bought a Panasonic. ... ... ...
The luck hasn't been so good. They seem to have got one control board functioning, but still the entire unit does not work. I'm giving up. Time to go out and buy.

Old 22nd June 2017, 22:35   #5391
Distinguished - BHPian

Erm... Does anyone know what the effect of GST on AC prices will be in Tamil Nadu?
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:44   #5392
BHPian

Quote:
Erm... Does anyone know what the effect of GST on AC prices will be in Tamil Nadu?
Not good - I am afraid. My partner deals with ecommerce and she tells me that till now computers and IT products attracted only 5% as VAT while the GST figure may well be 18%. The situation is still nebulous. Electrical machines may attract 28%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In some respect especially against acid rain, Aluminum fins should be more resistant than copper ones, as Aluminum forms an oxide layer which is not only hard, but also corrosion resistant.
Yes Sir. Some brands come with some extra blue coating on the fins and they appear to last longer.
I am still looking for the spray can to give these fins a little extra life.
Old 23rd June 2017, 15:12   #5393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm giving up. Time to go out and buy.
I weakened. A second-hand Daikin 1.5-ton will be fitted on Sunday. 17k less a thou or so for scrap Sharp.
Old 25th June 2017, 20:39   #5394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A second-hand Daikin 1.5-ton will be fitted on Sunday
And it was. AC bedroom again yeah!

Whilst I stayed around until I saw that it worked, and amazingly quietly, I then ran away as I was an hour late for a meetup with carnatic-music-forum friends. Our engineer rushed it to us as a last job before Ramadan/taking-holiday: he won't be back for a week.

The machine is a Daikin FT50 MV16. The remote, from the chinglish written on it, is cheap-immitation replacement.

rant/ Why is it that manufacturers make manuals available for the rest of the world and not for us! /rant

I wonder if anybody happens to have such a machine, and can tell me about it, or even better, let me have a scan/photo copy of the manual?

At the moment, it seems to run full blast until it reaches the set temperature and then slow down. Whilst the remote has fan-speed settings, they don't seem to do anything. The remote looks like this one, including the funny-English button labels.

Anyway, I shall sleep better tonight!
Old 25th June 2017, 21:05   #5395
BHPian

Why are the acs in our region mounted high on the wall while in some countries they are at floor level?
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1498404895129.jpg  

Old 26th June 2017, 00:16   #5396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Why are the acs in our region mounted high on the wall while in some countries they are at floor level?
Hot air rises, cool air falls.

Almost all our ACs are for cooling only. Maybe someone once thought of putting them at floor level, but cold feet.

Old 26th June 2017, 10:00   #5397
BANNED

My son has a central AC system in his flat. Seven units in all. All are high mounted. A friend has a centrally AC house. This was done by Daikin. Again all are high mounted units.
Old 26th June 2017, 11:06   #5398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
it may be an HVAC unit ? with heating being the majority of its job, hence kept at the bottom
Old 26th June 2017, 14:22   #5399
Senior - BHPian

There are floor mounted AC, mostly central HVAC units running on chilled water/hot water for both heating as well as cooling, but these require some sort of false flooring, not feasible in India where the floors are stone clad, while in west the floors are wooden surface on a frame, with space for running utilities under - similar to false ceiling here where the central AC piping is run.

Any way for cooling only high mounted units will cool the room faster as there is natural circulation provided by cold air coming down
Old 26th June 2017, 15:18   #5400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Any way for cooling only high mounted units will cool the room faster as there is natural circulation provided by cold air coming down
Exactly. Floor-level cooling would literally give us cold feet and not much else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks