Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2017, 17:59   #5251
BHPian

On my recent business visit to Oman LNG, Oman, saw ACs of Trane brand in the admin / technical building and security building. These are floor mounted. What is the benefit / difference vis-à-vis the regular wall mounted splits? Also are these available in India?
Old 21st May 2017, 20:53   #5252
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Peak summer, absolutely wrong time for the Sharp AC to give up on its life. All the Best for your purchase!

Absolutely! Record temperatures too.

Actually, I'm ok. I am using the hall AC and blowing cooler air into the bedroom with a pedestal fan, which I prefer to turn off before actually going to bed. Last night, I forgot to leave the bedroom door open at final sleep time, which was a bit of a waste of the hall being cooled! I woke up, it was 29C. I'd like to be cooler, but I wasn't sweating or uncomfortable.

Thank goodness Mrs G wasn't there. My god, you'd think she hadn't grown up in this weather and that sweating was potentially lethal!
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:54   #5253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
On my recent business visit to Oman LNG, Oman, saw ACs of Trane brand in the admin / technical building and security building. These are floor mounted. What is the benefit / difference vis-à-vis the regular wall mounted splits? Also are these available in India?
Floor mounted AC are usually of higher capacity. You will see a lot of them in large restaurants and shops in Delhi.

There are two types - those that stand upright like wardrobes and those that are horizontal. The advantages of floor mounted ones is that they can be used where ceiling mounting is not feasible and the piping can be run under the floor. As they are mainly ment for commercial sector, they are built sturdy and hence cost more.

Practically every major manufacturer has them, but they are listed under commercial AC section.
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:12   #5254
BHPian

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what are the implications if I install a 1T aircon when the room size demands a 1.5T?

And has anybody tried running their aircons through a home UPS? I was looking at the numbers and a 1T aircon seems to consume about 1000 watts which could easily be supplied by a 2kVA home UPS.

Now you know why I asked the first question.
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:27   #5255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what are the implications if I install a 1T aircon when the room size demands a 1.5T?

And has anybody tried running their aircons through a home UPS? I was looking at the numbers and a 1T aircon seems to consume about 1000 watts which could easily be supplied by a 2kVA home UPS.

Implications are that you are stressing the compressor and it will take a long time to bring the temperature to the set levels.

Running a aircon on UPS will mean that you can run the Air con for around 3 hours max. In case of conventional AC, the start of compressor spikes the load to a high value in which case the UPS may trip. Inverter AC would be much better in this regard
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:28   #5256
BANNED

@civic-sense; You may not get adequate cooling. Also, since the unit will be running almost all the time, no real benefits of 5*, Inverter, etc.

Forget running on a UPS. The starting currents can be killing. However, inverter units do have a 'soft start' so they can probably be run.
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:33   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks, Prasad.

At Rathna, back then, they had different rooms for different makes, with stuff set up and working. Do they still do that?
I just bought a 1 Ton LG Invertor AC at Ratna, This was my first time visiting their shop. Was really impressed with so many working models of multiple manufacturers. I could really feel the cool air of each AC.

Why I went for this LG AC was for the 10 year warranty on Compressor and 5 Year replacement warranty on the Condenser including Gas refill + Invertor AC + Inbuilt stabilizer with Single Boost all for 32k. Got it installed in 2 days. The AC is absolute chiller and very silent as well.
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:33   #5258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The underpowered (for the room in question) AC will take longer to achieve the set temperature and will probably run for much longer periods and cut-off for shorter durations than a 1.5 tons unit. Which, mind you, is a good thing. The fewer the starts the less the power consumed, which is one of the claimed advantages of an inverter unit that never cuts off and thus never needs to start again and again every so often.

If you can live with the longer initial cooling time there are no other disadvantages.

To run it off a UPS could be tricky because the start-up current is very high for a few milliseconds before it settles to a reasonable value. This 'surge' can cause the UPS to trip. If the AC starts successfully then it will run without any problems. The other pertinent fact is that a UPS has no time-delay circuit built in. Stop-start cycles in quick succession can badly damage compressors. A three minutes interval is recommended between successive starts.

Edit: May I add that most modern ACs have a time-delay circuit built in; in which case you don't have to worry about that being there in the UPS.

Last edited by anupmathur : 22nd May 2017 at 13:40.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:31   #5259
BHPian

Quote:

I have successfully run an AC ( 1.2T Inverter ) on a 2.5KVA UPS. You need to keep the below in mind :

1 ) The UPS should have a very short/fast switching time
2 ) Preferable if the AC is already running when the electricity goes off as the running current is much lower than starting current
3 ) Inverter AC is easier to use on a UPS than a normal AC because of the soft start and lower average current ratings ( the compressor doesn't switch on and off ). Standard AC will keep cutting out and the UPS might not be able to handle the repeat starts
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:09   #5260
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, what is the soft start? I had thought that initial startup of inverter AC would take as much surge as any non-inverter machine?

As I type, it occurs to me that, like a smooth take off in a car, it starts at low pwer and then builds up, and the inverter system would make that possible. Have I got it right?
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:26   #5261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

As I type, it occurs to me that, like a smooth take off in a car, it starts at low pwer and then builds up, and the inverter system would make that possible. Have I got it right?
Brilliant men always figure out things for themselves. All they need is a hint!
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:22   #5262
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I don't know how much it takes on start up, will measure the Inrush current on Start up later tonight in my daikin inverter 1.5 ton.

But I have measured the startup current of a 2012, 5 star refrigerator and a 2015, 4 star inverter refrigerator. On my UPS which is rated at 800watt, the non inverter fridge trips the ups(shows overload) when the compressor switches On, despite the fact that the rated power consumption of fridge is around 100watts, this is because the Inrush start up current is very high, my TRMS clamp meter has the capability to measure Inrush current and sure enough it registered a Inrush current.

On the other hand my clamp meter didn't even register a Inrush current on a Inverter Fridge, whose running wattage was around 60 to 80watt.
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:32   #5263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
... Inrush start up current is very high, my TRMS clamp meter has the capability to measure Inrush current and sure enough it registered a Inrush current.
It would only be fair to mention what the measured 'inrush' current was.
Old 22nd May 2017, 21:40   #5264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I don't know how much it takes on start up, will measure the Inrush current on Start up later tonight in my daikin inverter 1.5 ton.
Awesome, please do share the reading. I am also planning to do a temperature log of inverter Vs non inverter to actually see how much fluctuation is there in the room temperature. Just to validate, will share the results here.
Old 22nd May 2017, 22:10   #5265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
... Just to validate, will share the results here.
There is no need for any validation. It is well established that an inverter AC will maintain a far more uniform temperature in the room than a non-inverter AC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks