Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 09:30   #6751
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
One of our AC's stabilizer is showing power (basic tester) on all three lines of the output. Looks like it is shorted. Can these stabilizers be repaired or is that a futile exercise and I'm better off buying new?
It depends on what has failed. If it is the electronics circuitry or the relays, it can be repaired within about Rs.500 or so. But if it is the transformer, you would be better off to go for a new one. The auto transformer can be rewound, but it costs a lot more.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 10:57   #6752
BHPian

So, it turns out that the connector itself was shorted and the rest of the stabilizer works just fine.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-20210221_103704.jpeg

We replaced the connector for Rs40 (I think my dad paid too much for it) and the stabilizer is back in action.

All of this happened after the building's transformer blew, and it fried a bunch of electronics in people's homes.

The Voltas A/C that this stabilizer works seems to have taken a partial hit or its Voltas being Voltas (so many repair calls for this horrible unit ). The external unit's fan runs for a few seconds and then turns off, even when the compressor is on. Not sure what's up.

I don't want to call Voltas and feed the beast with my service money, but which independent A/C technician can I trust?

Last edited by hellmet : 21st February 2021 at 10:59.
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:37   #6753
BHPian

I ordered a General 24CGTA (2 ton 5 star inverter) with clear instructions to the dealer to provide a fresh unit of recent manufacture. Unfortunately I have received a unit manufactured in March 2019. The dealer arranged a call with General’s state head and he said a fresher unit is not available but that it shouldn’t be an issue since the star rating calculation hasn’t changed since, and that the warranty will be valid from the date of purchase anyway. The dealer is willing to take this back and exchange it for any other brand / model. Should I keep it or send it back?
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:40   #6754
BHPian

Need advice for buying an AC for a 140 sq feet bedroom. Ceiling height is 10 feet. The AC is going to be used sparingly, that is only in the summer night time.
1. What would be the correct tonnage of the AC?
2. Is it worth spending extra for the inverter model which could potentially have problems in the future compared to the regular models?
Thank you.
Old 24th February 2021, 23:08   #6755
BHPian

Hello All,
Planning to buy an AC for the Master bedroom (10 x 12 ft). AC would be used during summers in Hyderabad, nights for sure and probably sometime during daytime also.

Shortlisted 1.5 Ton AC but confused between Carrier, Daikin and LG from a brand standpoint, as all are in the same price range. General considered, but becoming too uneconomical for the features.

Solely from a brand reliability standpoint, which would be the best of the options listed above.
Old 24th February 2021, 23:18   #6756
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post

Solely from a brand reliability standpoint, which would be the best of the options listed above.
I had a similar situation as yours. We got a total of 4 ACs, all of them Daikin. We have a 12 year old 2 tonne Daikin that has yet to break down ever. It just needs periodic service every year before summer, that's all. A Daikin is like the Toyota of ACs. Super reliable with hardly any running cost.
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:58   #6757
BHPian

Didn't know there is an ac thread as well. Had posted this on the home appliances thread, cross posting here.

Guys, I need to buy two split ACs. One of them will be for my parent's room which will be used more extensively ( so am willing to go for a 5 star ac for them). The other one will be used in my room which will se extensive usage for around 2-3 years at max and then occasional uses. Should i go for a 3 star or a 5 star ac for the second one?

Also, does anyone of you have a experience with Sanyo and Whirlpool ACs? I am getting 5 star inverter ac (with excellent ISEER ratings) from both the brands on Amazon for around 34k while other brands like LG, Samsung, Blue star, Hitachi are much more expensive. Should i go for the Sanyo/Whirlpool or invest more? How is there service and reliability?
Old 25th February 2021, 13:32   #6758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Need advice for buying an AC for a 140 sq feet bedroom. Ceiling height is 10 feet. The AC is going to be used sparingly, that is only in the summer night time.
1. What would be the correct tonnage of the AC?
2. Is it worth spending extra for the inverter model which could potentially have problems in the future compared to the regular models?
Thank you.
1. 1.5 should be enough. Our master bedroom is similarly sized and 1.5ton has been sufficient.
2. It has been many years since the introduction of inverter ACs. I'm thinking any niggling issues would have been fixed by now. One thing is for sure - the on/off cooling provided by traditional ACs results in cool air followed by warm air. If I had a choice I'd pick an inverter AC today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post

Also, does anyone of you have a experience with Sanyo and Whirlpool ACs?
We have a Voltas and a Whirlpool. Voltas has been a total disaster and needed many repair calls, while the Whirlpool runs without a groan.
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 11:52   #6759
BHPian

Have to purchase One 2Ton ; Two 1.5 ton & 3 1 Ton a/c's for our new house . Is it better to buy individual units or opting for VRF unit would be better .

Looking at General or LG for individual units or Daikin / Carrier for VRF . Which is preferable .
Old 7th March 2021, 17:18   #6760
Distinguished - BHPian

Summoning the aircon experts @Aroy, @Thad E Ginathom and also others who've long experiences of air-conditioning with a variety of brands :

Need a 2nd aircon, the Panasonic though good, is less than average overall, this time the needs are as follows :

1) Extreme silence
2) Industrial level, rapid cooling
3) Preferably not LG or Samsung, I may not buy them even if there are many recommendations.
4) I do not mind General, Mitsubishi, Whirlpool, Hitachi etc
5) Budget - I can go for the best there is, so no budget restriction whatsoever.
6) Star rating - It's a gimmick according to me, all I want is massive cooling with zero noise.

Room is bedroom, approx 20 feet by 12 feet, I don't mind going for 2 ton model as its a workspace/reading room plus bed area, the aircon won't run continually, but I need the temperature to change rapidly, like it should get to 18-20 within 15-20 mins or less. Its first floor so temperatures get to 32-34 in summers.
Old 7th March 2021, 19:35   #6761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
... I need the temperature to change rapidly, like it should get to 18-20 within 15-20 mins or less. Its first floor so temperatures get to 32-34 in summers.
There's probably a calculation of the actual amount of energy required to do that, but I don't think that a drop from 34 to 18, in 15 minutes, is going to happen. Not with domestic equipment.

I am not at all knowledgable! Have used Mitsubishi, Sharp, Daikin and Samsung over fifteen years.

Sharp was the real dud and money-waste, due to unreliable parts and dreadful company service/support, which is a pity, as it could have been one of the best machines!

We have a second-hand Daikin, which runs well. Unfortunately, they don't make them like they used to is true, and, seeing how the new stuff in the shops compares with the well-built machine we have put me off.

Mitsubishi... we now have two, one inverter, one non-inverter. Very nice machines. Aroy would be the first to point out that what we pay in AMC would, after the five-year warranty you can get on LG, buy a new machine anyway.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th March 2021 at 19:38.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 12:18   #6762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Summoning the aircon experts @Aroy, @Thad E Ginathom and also others who've long experiences of air-conditioning with a variety of brands :

Need a 2nd aircon, the Panasonic though good, is less than average overall, this time the needs are as follows :

1) Extreme silence
2) Industrial level, rapid cooling
3) Preferably not LG or Samsung, I may not buy them even if there are many recommendations.
4) I do not mind General, Mitsubishi, Whirlpool, Hitachi etc
5) Budget - I can go for the best there is, so no budget restriction whatsoever.
6) Star rating - It's a gimmick according to me, all I want is massive cooling with zero noise.

Room is bedroom, approx 20 feet by 12 feet, I don't mind going for 2 ton model as its a workspace/reading room plus bed area, the aircon won't run continually, but I need the temperature to change rapidly, like it should get to 18-20 within 15-20 mins or less. Its first floor so temperatures get to 32-34 in summers.
A 20' x 12' will most probably need 2T or more.

There is no problem in getting a temperature drop from 34 to 20 degrees. All you need is excess capacity, say 5T and your room temperature will drop within a few minutes. The point to consider is what do you do with the AC once the room is comfortable? A 5T unit will drop the temperature to 18 and then switch off. A 2T will take an hour.

Regarding silent units, you will only get that with central systems where chilled air is pumped into the room, if you have a fan in the IDU, it will always make some noise.

If money is no problem, then you can install a central ducted system for the whole house. Just ask Blue Star, Daikin or any vendor providing commercial system and they will come, evaluate and recommend a system.

By the way we use individual split AC in each room as that is the lowest capital cost solution. All other solutions are extremely expensive, though they last decades and running costs are way less than indvidual unit.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 13:01   #6763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
By the way we use individual split AC in each room as that is the lowest capital cost solution. All other solutions are extremely expensive, though they last decades and running costs are way less than indvidual unit.
Noted, central system isn't workable at all because only the top floor needs it and the ceiling is the standard 10 odd feet and thus cant accommodate a false ceiling or the piping.

Which split aircon brand comes closest to requirement? I'm almost finalizing the Hitachi 2T 5 Star l.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 15:00   #6764
Senior - BHPian

Team - any quick reviews/comments on the below AC from Whirlpool.

I am planning to order this one today. Usage will be 3-4 hours at max. Intent would be to install in a room at home where I have setup my office due to WFH. Last summers I lived without that but I believe this is the right time to invest in one as WFH seems to extend for me. About room dynamics - Walls of the room are not direct sun facing, although the extension (30 sq ft) of the room joins with entry door and glass window unit. Room size is approx 140 sq ft.

https://www.flipkart.com/whirlpool-1...o1615195613409
Old 8th March 2021, 17:04   #6765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
... Regarding silent units, you will only get that with central systems where chilled air is pumped into the room, if you have a fan in the IDU, it will always make some noise.
Even moving air will make some sound... so it all depends on the definition of silent. Better to talk in terms of quiet, quieter. If we can achieve the soft frrrrr of a fan moving air, without too much brrrr of the motor driving it, that, for me, has become not only as good as it gets, but also (I sleep when others are awake) an excellent aid to suppressing outdoor noises. An AC IDU, on a slow fan setting, is much quieter than a ceiling fan.

Even the outdoor units are not very noisy now, but don't put it directly outside the window. Our bedroom-AC outdoor unit is actually on the terrace above: it is hard to hear in the room itself.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th March 2021 at 17:05.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks