Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 07:48   #6706
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
. One of the Hitachi a/cs had a problem where it would sometimes not recognise the remote control's inputs.

Thursday: Lodged complaint.

Sat morning: OnSiteGo technician arrived & took the PCB for repairs.

This morning: Repaired PCB was installed & air-con is working perfectly.
Hitachi remotes have a particular problem of a/b pairing with their ac. For this you either reset the remote or use an a/b switch located near the batteries .
Old 27th October 2020, 18:46   #6707
BHPian

In the market for two split ACs. One of these is for a 130sqft bedroom and the other is for a 250-sqft hall.

I need 5-star energy saver ratings, and fuss-free operation. I’ve seen people recommend Mitsubishi ACs here, so I have a couple queries:

1. Does anyone know any reliable dealers for Mitsubishi ACs in Mumbai? Anywhere between Khar and Andheri is fine.
2. Do these ACs run trouble free in Mumbai’s humid weather? What sort of an AMC expense am I looking at?
3. What’s the difference between Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries/Heavy Duty brands?
Old 27th October 2020, 20:57   #6708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
2. Do these ACs run trouble free in Mumbai’s humid weather? What sort of an AMC expense am I looking at?
Yes, they work perfectly fine for Mumbai weather.
You are looking at an expense of about 1.2k per year for a quarterly service, which is a must to keep the AC working in mint condition, proper cooling and low electricity usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
3. What’s the difference between Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries/Heavy Duty brands?
Both these are separate entities, based out of Japan, who have the legal rights to use the Mitshubhishi trademark. While Mitshubhishi Heavy Industries makes a wide range of products from ACs to ships, Mitshubhishi Electric is in the sole space of making ACs.

You may find a lot of different reviews for both brands, but here is my experience:
Purchased my first Mitshubhishi Electric AC in 2011 and have never looked anywhere else since then, as the wide and long range of the blower have worked well even in open areas and humid conditions for me. Since then, I have purchased 6 Mitshubhishi Electric ACs, 1.5 and 2 tons, inverter and non-inverter (all 5 star rating) and have had very pleasant experiences (pun-intended). For a slightly lesser money, Toshiba is an excellent choice, compact but powerful units. Have purchased 3 of them in the last 3 years, and have been very happy with them.
hridaygandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 14:09   #6709
BHPian

Hi All

Looking for some advice. Is this a decent stabilizer for an 1 ton inverter AC?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07N4RYQ8W

V Guard website seems to be incomplete. I can find other stabilizer models like i4 and iD4 Prima on Amazon sold by V guard itself but not on V Guards own website.

This model seems to be a decent one. I think it has surge protection in addition to the usual voltage stabilization and voltage fluctuation cutoff.

What I am not sure of, is the buck and boost capacity.

Finally placed the order for a V Guard iD4 Prima (https://www.amazon.in/V-Guard-iD4-Prima-2040-Stabilizer/dp/B07BK5TNMG).

Called up V Guard Customer care since I couldn't understand details from their website. This particular model has boost/buck capacity of 24v/40v. In contrast to this the VIG 400 I was looking at earlier was 5v/nil (I think the CC guy made some mistake).

I couldn't take a chance on this so had to book the iD4 Prima model.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2020 at 22:57. Reason: Trimming down the L-O-N-G Amazon URL. Thanks!
Old 30th October 2020, 16:48   #6710
BHPian

We have 2 Daikin Inverter ACs at home. Both 4 star rated. A 1 ton and a 1.85 ton model. Both were purchased locally in Cochin. The 1 ton model is close to 2 years old while the larger 1 is just an year old. So far Daikin is doing quite well for us. Both models are very quiet, and chills effectively, especially in Kochi's humid climate (we have an open terrace above us). Bigger AC actually is cooling close to 280 SqFt and even then it cools the entire room (our living/dining room) within 5 minutes in the hottest of summers.

Daikin service is really a sad story though. The official Daikin service provider does not want to provide the mandatory 1 or 2 free services(depends on model). Just interested in paid services. Their paid service too is not all that great. Installation was quite professional though.

Before buying these models, I did think about General Split ACs though. In the end, I got swayed by some good deals for the Daikins.
snappysam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 12:57   #6711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysam View Post
Daikin service is really a sad story though. The official Daikin service provider does not want to provide the mandatory 1 or 2 free services(depends on model). Just interested in paid services. Their paid service too is not all that great. Installation was quite professional though.
My thoughts run the same way. Have 2 Daikin 1.5 tonners at home, one purchased in 2012 and one in 2015. Both still do a fantastic job of cooling - especially given that they have been shifted and reinstalled multiple times over the years owing to my transferable job.

Daikin service, especially in Cochin/Trivandrum has been disappointing, both in their response times and the quality of their work. I was posted in Villupuram, TN for 15 months- the service there was excellent, probably since it’s a smaller town and people generally tend to have personal connections.

Looking to replace the older unit sometime next year and might go with LG, since they seem to have generally positive feedback on service and AMC.
Old 4th November 2020, 21:43   #6712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Daikin service, especially in Cochin/Trivandrum has been disappointing
Although we have bought Mitsubishi units from them, the company that we gave labour-only AMC contract to for our elderly Daikin are pretty good, and they are also agents for Daikin. Maybe you could try shopping around?

Our unit failed back in June, symptom being that it would "crash" when trying to start up and immediately power down. They got a controller-board repair done for us in a couple of days, and for less than a couple of thousand Rs. Recently, we had another failure: the temperature regulation was failing so it was always-on and turned the room into a fridge. Again, they got the board repaired repaired, and, as it had only been a few months, did not charge.

So, whilst Daikin as a company might not care, I think it is possible to find authorised agents who might. Or... the local AC guy near your house.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 00:49   #6713
BHPian

Hello, I have a Samsung 1.5T split for which there was a gas leak and my regular guy charged me 4500 to fix. He is a bit pricier than the company who quoted me 3000 but they had their usual disclaimers. My regular technician is servicing my acs for about 8+ years now.
Coming to the point this ac is now giving a mild wire burning smell. We dont use this ac much as it is in a study room and maybe noticing it now since my son started using it as his bedroom about a week back.
I removed the stabilizer thinking that could be the problem but the smell persists.
What could be the issue? The ac is cooling well and i dont get smell at the plug and it seems to be coming from the IDU. I checked the ODU and there was no smell there too. Any thoughts?
Old 24th December 2020, 13:41   #6714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hello, I have a Samsung 1.5T split for which there was a gas leak and my regular guy charged me 4500 to fix. He is a bit pricier than the company who quoted me 3000 but they had their usual disclaimers. My regular technician is servicing my acs for about 8+ years now.
Coming to the point this ac is now giving a mild wire burning smell. We dont use this ac much as it is in a study room and maybe noticing it now since my son started using it as his bedroom about a week back.
I removed the stabilizer thinking that could be the problem but the smell persists.
What could be the issue? The ac is cooling well and i dont get smell at the plug and it seems to be coming from the IDU. I checked the ODU and there was no smell there too. Any thoughts?
Most probably it is the fan. Open up the front grill and check the fan motor for burning smell.
Old 24th December 2020, 13:45   #6715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most probably it is the fan. Open up the front grill and check the fan motor for burning smell.
Thanks Aroy, the technician is here and that is not the issue. Difficult one to debug. When he entered he got the smell. We have removed the IDU cover and running it, not getting the smell. Now trying to cover it up and run again to see if the heat trap is causing it.
Old 26th December 2020, 10:36   #6716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Coming to the point this ac is now giving a mild wire burning smell. ... Any thoughts?
The IDU also has the board that feeds the power to the compressor in the ODU. Usually if there is a burning smell in the room, check the following in the order given below:
1. The power socket/switch/MCB feeding the AC: Visually check them for signs of overheating - burnt insulation, smoldered joints, pitted contacts
2. The IDU has the board that feeds the compressor. In an Aircon, the compressor is the entity that draws the most current. So sometimes, the board which has a relay that powers the ODU develops dry joints in the sockets. They will become hot and spark. Over a period of time, they will fail. It would be prudent to check for such issues before it results in a fire.

Most fire incidents happen due to ACs which overheat/develop short circuits.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 22:51   #6717

My parents in Trivadrum have a 14-year old Electrolux 1.5Ton split that is still running strong. We want to exchange this unit for a new AC.

Their usage is ~4 hours a day. 2 hours during afternoon, 2 hours in the night. And they spend 2-3 months in a year out of Trivandrum when they come to Bangalore to be with me. Considering this, I am looking for a no nonsense AC that will just work without giving us headaches.

We narrowed down our search to the following 3 ACs:
1) Mitsubishi 3-star inverter 1.5ton AC: MSY-JP (ISEER 3.70) (~45000)
This was my 1st choice considering reviews on this forum as well as elsewhere

2) Toshiba 3-star inverter 1.5ton AC: 18U2ACVG (ISEER 3.92) (~43000)
I am considering this as Toshiba is offering 10-year comprehensive warranty (except condenser, coil, plastics). Only caveat is we have to service the unit twice a year using authorised service personnel who can make a record in the system of the servicing details. Failing this, warranty will be void. This seems an overkill for us considering our measly usage.

3) Mitsubishi 2-star non-inverter 1.5ton AC: MS-JP (ISEER 3.36) (~40000)
Fits my no-nonsense description as non-inverter ACs are much less prone to failure compared to inverter ACs. But if I have a complaint or two, I would have ended up spending as much as I would have spent on the Toshiba regular servicing.

Assuming Mitsubishi has bullet-proof reliability their non-inverter AC seems to be the best bet. Anyone on this forum has any record of failures/glitches with Mitsubishi Electric ACs? Are the inverter ACs of Mitsubishi also bullet proof?

And is my reasoning sound? Any other suggestions?

Also, we are being offered 2000rs buyback for the 14-year Electrolux 1.5Ton which is in working condition. Is this a fair price?
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:29   #6718
Senior - BHPian

Man, this Misubishi non-inverter AC has been the best money I've spent. It's totally glitch free. So, just go for it. Mine is 4-5 years old, and there is no sign of fatigue. I hope they're still maintaining this quality. My other advice; if you indeed go for this Brand, get the best stabilizer you find. And you're set
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
Assuming Mitsubishi has bullet-proof reliability their non-inverter AC seems to be the best bet. Anyone on this forum has any record of failures/glitches with Mitsubishi Electric ACs? Are the inverter ACs of Mitsubishi also bullet proof?

Last edited by Sebring : 2nd January 2021 at 07:32.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 07:55   #6719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
My parents in Trivadrum have a 14-year old Electrolux 1.5Ton split that is still running strong.
If it is running fine, why change it? I can understand efficiency gains if you are running the unit for 7 to 8 hours a day or longer. For 4 hours/day, you'd much rather just hold onto it. It is unlikely that any new aircon you buy today will last 14 years.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 09:56   #6720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If it is running fine, why change it? I can understand efficiency gains if you are running the unit for 7 to 8 hours a day or longer. For 4 hours/day, you'd much rather just hold onto it. It is unlikely that any new aircon you buy today will last 14 years.
I agree to that. At 4 hours of running, you will not gain in reduced power consumption. What you will get running the current AC is
. peace of mind as you do not know when the new fangled AC will pack up
. extra cost for service
. shorter operating life

Heck, your 14 year old AC may be still up and running after 20 years of service, while the new inverter may back up by then. My neighbours LG split is still functioning after nearly 18 years.

In short if there are no problems, keep it till it finally packs up.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks