Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 20:16   #6841
Team-BHP Support

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post
OT - If you have your own place, just invest in a central air- con system. Family and friends that made the jump have only good things to say.
The cost difference is huge. Me and one of my friend are building individual houses, enquired from Mitsubishi / Carrier / Daikin and the one with heat & cooling costs 27L rupees. Area would be ~5500 square feet having 6 rooms, one hall.

Now, 6 rooms' individual AC cost would be 3L, add a tower AC for the hall, max another 3L and you are set at approximately 6L.

Plus, I am not sure what happens when the unit malfunctions in a VRF / Central AC.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 21:02   #6842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking at non-inverters, just pick a Daiken up. Have heard of issues with their Inverter Ac's but I know of a lot of people using their Daikens for loooong time periods. I have 6 Daikens at home that perform the same today as they did 11 years ago.
The trouble is, that they are not built like they were 11 years ago. As I have told before:

We have a Daikin, bought used from our local mechanic, at a time when we did not have the cash to go and buy new. I think it is more than ten years old, perhaps fifteen. It continues to work almost flawlessly. I think it has given us one "major" fault, which required that its control board (non-inverter) taken away, repaired, and returned in a couple of days. Cost, I forget, maybe thousand or two. A subsequent fault, a few months later, our maintenance company repaired for free.

This machine is so solid, built like tank. Have seen modern Daikins in the shops and they are flimsy by comparison.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 21:16   #6843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Whats the approx. costing with respect to having 4-5 1.5T independent units in each room?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The cost difference is huge. Area would be ~5500 square feet.

Plus, I am not sure what happens when the unit malfunctions in a VRF / Central AC.
Sheel, 6 Lakhs for 5500 square feet seems wrong. I think there will be a lot of areas in your house like passages/kitchen/pooja room/media space etc .. that won't have proper cooling. VRF systems covers everything in the house.

The cost of VRF systems are definitely much higher but I would say it's a much more pleasant experience too! If not designed to accommodate split AC units, the look of the structure gets completely spoilt with the outside units and if they have to be mounted in balconies/terraces, then it's hard to sit in peace if the AC is switched on inside.

These VRF systems last decades and their service and support is miles better than that of normal Ac service and support. These VRF systems are built for heavy duty usage so they rarely give issues. It's for people looking for a fit it, forget it system.
Another advantage is that newer VRF systems can be connected to WiFi and every single unit can be controlled by the iPad/Mobile Phone of every family member.
But yes, that rare time they do have an issue, the entire house cooling system goes down. That's the biggest disadvantage with them.

Usually VRF systems are installed only in bigger houses/apartments. An apartment with 5500 square feet carpet in South Mumbai is approx 50-55 cr. In Pune, it's approx 10-15 cr. When someone is spending such amounts, the extra amount for VRF looks smaller and the various pros outweigh the extra price that has to paid upfront. Reduced energy usage is also a pro but generally not considered.

At the end of the day, it all depends on the homeowners priorities since it is not a cheap investment, but a worthwhile one.

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 29th April 2021 at 21:46.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 22:07   #6844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Which is the "Toyota Innova" of split air-cons? Need a 1.5 ton.

- Reliability is of paramount importance.

- 5-year warranty, but would prefer company warranty. My Hitachis have that OnSiteGo warranty and I have found their work to be very shoddy.

- Please suggest make + model.

Thanks in advance
In todays' age, Daikin and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are considered as the Toyotas of the AC world in India.

We have a 6 year old Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK13CLV-6 1.1 Tr. This is made in Thailand and imported here. It was installed by the builder when we purchased the apartment. The same was given to every apartment in the complex. Not a single resident has ever complained about it in our 320+ complex.

The best part of this is that it is compact (both IDU and ODU) and very silent. I do the full service by myself and have not faced any fault with it so far. It is a non-inverter one though.

Based on my experience I can assure you that this is indeed a Toyota. The pricing though is also typical Toyota. High up-front cost

They do have 1.5T options and you should check those.

Also, there are many grey market AC sellers in South Mumbai who swear by MHI and Daikin.

Note: MHI is different than Mitsubishi Electric.

Last edited by sunilch : 29th April 2021 at 22:08.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 02:44   #6845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which is the "Toyota Innova" of split air-cons?
Mitsubishi.

As an alternative, you might want to consider Blue Star. Their presence in Bombay is huge and you are likely to get pretty fast turn around for any unforeseen repairs or service. A lot of their products are manufactured at the Bharuch plant.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 08:47   #6846
BHPian

We have three ACs from LG, 2 split type and one window AC.
For the guest room no one uses, we just plonked the old AC in the window and left it.

For 15 years, we have used this AC. In it's 14th year, it had a temp sensor failure, so it just cools continuously without cutting off. BUT IT CHILLS ALRIGHT!!

We have 2 more LG Air Conditioners (1.5 ton split ac) in the house, and they have never had an issue. Been 8 years. extremely quiet, feels premium and all.

I think these LGs are pretty reliable. None of them are the inverter type. All are just basic ones. With one stabiliser each.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-20210430_084412.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 30th April 2021 at 08:48.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:32   #6847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Need help in understanding the ac capacity needed in an appartment.
1) Bedroom with 148 sq ft. Window facing north which is facing an open field.
2) Bedroom with 187 sq ft. Window faces south which is a small open corridor from terrace (5th floor) to ground floor. The roof of this open space is covered with fiber. Direct sunlight may not fall.

This is in 2nd floor and there are total of 5 floors. Summer temperature in the area can cross 40C.

How to estimate the capacity needed with this info?
I think people are quoting excessive tonnage. Both of your rooms are quite small and in Bangalore’s relatively mild climate, 1 ton will suffice. Otherwise you can go for an inverter which can go up to 1.8 tons and down to around 0.3 tons as needed.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:07   #6848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I think people are quoting excessive tonnage. Both of your rooms are quite small and in Bangalore’s relatively mild climate, 1 ton will suffice.
Actually, this will be for Anantpur district in AP. Summers are harsher than in Bangalore
Old 2nd May 2021, 16:31   #6849
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An unexpected, positive development

Quote:
Companies sometimes do something, that just totally blows you away! So the Hitachi air-con in question broke down yet again. When the technician visited our place (fast turnaround time as always), we asked for the matter to be escalated as it is the 4th time the damn Hitachi broke down. I said "please replace parts, don't repair them as it's clearly not working".

We spoke to the escalation manager who told us "you have clearly gone through a lot of trouble with this air-conditioner. Our company will give you a credit note of the value of your air-conditioner which you can use to buy another air-con from Vijay Sales. What's more, because of the pandemic, it might take time to get you a new a/c, so we will repair your current a/c too. You can use it for this month".

Incredible! I appreciated OnSiteGo's turnaround times, but this is next level stuff.
So now, I have to buy an air-con from the same dealer (Vijay Sales). Cost doesn't matter, I can always pay the difference. What a/c from this list should I buy? Don't worry about the out of stock models, salesman says he will call for it <30 days.

Again, key factor is reliability.

Thank you!
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:11   #6850
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So now, I have to buy an air-con from the same dealer (Vijay Sales). Cost doesn't matter, I can always pay the difference. What a/c from this list should I buy? Don't worry about the out of stock models, salesman says he will call for it <30 days.

Thank you!
You should go for this Daikin-

https://www.vijaysales.com/daikin-sp...-jtkj50tv/7450

Daikin, Mitsubishi and O'General are like Toyotas of the AC world but IMO, Daikin offers the best combination of A.S.S. and reliability. Daikin also has a social media presence in case it comes down to it. These things do have the potential to make a difference in the long run.

Having recently picked up a Daikin, I can vouch for its super silent operation.

Last edited by AYP : 2nd May 2021 at 18:13.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:48   #6851
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
er, I can always pay the difference. What a/c from this list should I buy? Don't worry about the out of stock models, salesman says he will call for it <30 days.

Thank you!
I have been using this daikin since 2017, they have now upped the warranty to 5 years for the pcb and 10 year for the compressor.
It's one of the top three most efficient 5 star rated AC in india.

Last edited by aim120 : 2nd May 2021 at 23:50.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 11:46   #6852
BHPian

Quote:
- Please suggest make + model.

Thanks in advance
Mitsubishi Electric MSY-GR 1.5 T 5* AC with R32 gas. Compressor is made in Japan, the rest is made in Thailand. Same as Daikin used to be a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
In my opinion if you want reliability and better cooling, go for R32 gas based 3 star ones. The higher 5 star ones use R410 gas which runs at high pressure and leaks very frequently.
5* Acs of Mitsubishi Electric use R32. Agree with the rest.

Quote:
If you are looking at non-inverters, just pick a Daiken up. Have heard of issues with their Inverter Ac's but I know of a lot of people using their Daikens for loooong time periods. I have 6 Daikens at home that perform the same today as they did 11 years ago.
Early Daikins were imported from Thailand, now they have a tie up with local suppliers. The quality isn't what used to be. Have first hand experience of the previous (8 years old) and the latest models.
In fact I would rate the early Daikins better than current Mitsubishis.

Last edited by ashish.uno : 4th May 2021 at 11:48.
ashish.uno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 12:21   #6853
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you!
I would vouch for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. However, Vijay Sales may not have them in their Inventory. Purchased two from Kohinoor last year; a 1.6 and 2.2 tonner and they are simply too good.
Vishyvish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 12:48   #6854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
I would vouch for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.
i purchased a 1.5T MHI 5 star inverter two years back and definitely think it was not worth the premium i paid at 52k. I find the cooling to be lesser than a like to like 3 Star non inverter Daikin same tonnage and also find rusting on the indoor unit internals which never happened on my daikins. We have four daikins (2 are from 2006), 1 samsung and 1 MHi and i will never go for an inverter MHI unit again, mainly due to lower cooling and the rusting that started within one year of purchase.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 14:17   #6855
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I have a strange problem with my LG split AC 1.5 ton. Since two weeks the compressor runs for a minute then shuts down for 4-5 mins. The outdoor unit compressor fan spins up and whines at its usual rpm and the cool air starts flowing through the indoor unit, then the fan slows down and runs at low/idle for another 30 sec and eventually dies off. This cycle repeats for 24x7. The indoor unit keeps running all the while but the cool air is only pumped for the minute the outdoor unit compressor powers up. The 15amp power supply in my house is able to run my MWave without issues during the time. I have been running this AC flawlessly for the last 3 years without issues 24x7 for at least 8 months a year.

What can be the problem? The software/remote diagnostic tests all show normal/pass.

Last edited by Ragul : 11th May 2021 at 14:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks